Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
Does anyone know sweet gently caress-all about either of the Shepherd's Crossing games? It sounds like something I'd enjoy but I can't find one actual review anywhere, and Google is general is turning up hardly anything about the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
There was a discussion of those games a page or so back in this thread.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Pancakes by Mail posted:

Does anyone know sweet gently caress-all about either of the Shepherd's Crossing games? It sounds like something I'd enjoy but I can't find one actual review anywhere, and Google is general is turning up hardly anything about the game.

I actually was just looking at some Amazon reviews (http://www.amazon.com/Shepherds-Crossing-2-Nintendo-DS/dp/B002P8KOLU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top) because the game was mentioned earlier, and the most helpful reviews have quite a lot of detail about the game. To be honest it sounds quite fun -- though I dislike the game's concept of time. According to one review, "Time is not on a clock system. Instead, time is controlled by how much you do in a day. For example, chopping four trees down could constitute a whole day's work."

Nevertheless, I decided to order a copy with some of the leftover gift certificate money I had, so hopefully it'll be entertaining.

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked

Pancakes by Mail posted:

So in Shepherd's Crossing 1, you get to choose when you want to move the day ahead if I remember correctly. So you can pretty much dick around in your crops and animals all you want until you decide to hit the button to move time forward.

Shepherd's Crossing 2 has it all on a bar, so each action eats up the bar until it's full and it switches over to the next day. It's a little annoying, but not really all to devastating once you get used to it.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Tupperwarez posted:

There really should have been an option to be gay in RF3, if only because the selection of eligible men was every bit as weird as the ladies.

I would have gay-married Blaise, personally. A cowboy master chef who can bake bread that's so good it inspires you to come up with new crafting recipes? DONE.

Nah, even if they gave us gay marriage options they'd probably still have the stupid "no marriage after ~25" rule. There have been so many awesome single older ladies with no husbands in sight (though a strangely high number of them have kids...) throughout the HM games, yet you can never even romance them a little. I always like to imagine scenarios that produce this, like gender ratios are totally hosed in the Harvest Moon world so there are only a handful of men who are all deadbeat dads and they just run around from village to village pretending to have amnesia, then marrying and abandoning as many women as they can before moving on. Maybe dragons come along and eat most of the guys when they hit marriage age.

But imagine if you could marry the moms of eligible girls, it would be hilarious

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Zenzirouj posted:

But imagine if you could marry the moms of eligible girls, it would be hilarious

Well, you can flirt with both Hazel and Shino in RF3 (though the former does not like the idea very much). Being the virtual ladiesman I am I just couldn't resist :smug:

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Zenzirouj posted:

There have been so many awesome single older ladies with no husbands in sight (though a strangely high number of them have kids...) throughout the HM games

I meant to point this out a couple days ago, but forgot. There's not even one couple in all of Rune Factory 3. Shino? No husband, 2 awesome daughters. Hazel? No husband, 1 daughter. Blaise? No wife, 2 kids, though he mentions nothing comparing to his "beloved wife's" cooking with a sad face. Sherman? No wife, 2 daughters. And Wells and Marjorie not only lack any significant others, but there's no sign of either Shara and Monica's or Marian's parents.

This is Disney levels of parent killing.

Saoshyant posted:

Well, you can flirt with both Hazel and Shino in RF3 (though the former does not like the idea very much). Being the virtual ladiesman I am I just couldn't resist :smug:

Micah is pansexual. Flirt with all the girls his age, with all the moms, and all the guys his age. And then there's the... creepy line when Monica kisses him.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The 3DS version of Tale of Two Towns has been delayed indefinitely due to slow 3DS uptake. The DS version is still coming on schedule.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I meant to point this out a couple days ago, but forgot. There's not even one couple in all of Rune Factory 3. Shino? No husband, 2 awesome daughters. Hazel? No husband, 1 daughter. Blaise? No wife, 2 kids, though he mentions nothing comparing to his "beloved wife's" cooking with a sad face. Sherman? No wife, 2 daughters. And Wells and Marjorie not only lack any significant others, but there's no sign of either Shara and Monica's or Marian's parents.

This is Disney levels of parent killing.

Now I want to gay marry Blaise even more. :(

Maybe the village you land in is actually a very large and comfortable insane asylum-all the "single parents" passed down some form of hereditary mental illness to their children, and everyone got shipped off there when their poor sane spouses couldn't take it anymore. This also explains why everyone is living a magical fantasy life in spite of having readily-available refrigerators.

It's kind of a nice thought, though, that in this place, even a teenage boy with memory issues who thinks he can turn into a sheep can become a hero. :unsmith:

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

Now I want to gay marry Blaise even more. :(

Maybe the village you land in is actually a very large and comfortable insane asylum-all the "single parents" passed down some form of hereditary mental illness to their children, and everyone got shipped off there when their poor sane spouses couldn't take it anymore. This also explains why everyone is living a magical fantasy life in spite of having readily-available refrigerators.

It's kind of a nice thought, though, that in this place, even a teenage boy with memory issues who thinks he can turn into a sheep can become a hero. :unsmith:

You just made me realize 'Where the hell is the electricity coming from?!' :stare:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
All of this talk of gay marriage and not a single mention of Max?

For shame. I would gay farmer marry him in a heartbeat. :swoon:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The 3DS version of Tale of Two Towns has been delayed indefinitely due to slow 3DS uptake. The DS version is still coming on schedule.

Clearly they've seen this thread and are just pushing it back to add 3D gay marriage.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Whizbang posted:

Clearly they've seen this thread and are just pushing it back to add 3D gay marriage.

Except they read it wrong and it will be 3-day marriages.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Apocadall posted:

Except they read it wrong and it will be 3-day marriages.

Which, essentially, is the number of in-game days worth playing after getting married in any Harvest Moon.

edit: Just want to add, Will is the best character in RF3.

Strenuous Manflurry fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 27, 2011

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
Will was a significant factor in making Kuruna my favorite character in Rune Factory 3.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Apocadall posted:

You just made me realize 'Where the hell is the electricity coming from?!' :stare:

It's okay; if you eat enough of the brightly-colored grass, it starts to make sense.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Could just be an old fashioned icebox fridge, guys.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

GruntyThrst posted:

Could just be an old fashioned icebox fridge, guys.

It could be, but it's not :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Which, essentially, is the number of in-game days worth playing after getting married in any Harvest Moon.

That's another reason why I prefer 64 and SNES: the end of the game isn't when you get married, because you have a ton of things hanging over your head. You still have three-quarters of a farm to build and half the villagers to befriend, and your deadline to getting it done is fast approaching.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Problem is that they don't do deadlines anymore. No deadlines, no evaluations, no challenge. This is why HM64 is still the best. You get a super secret picture if you are awesome.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

I've probably played the majority of the Harvest Moons over my gaming life, but aside from the SNES original (which I stayed up for 36 hours playing once.... oh, to be young again) I've never really bothered with getting married in the games. Tell me, is there a version where your wife actually contributes to the farm or any of the daily routine?
I mean, I'm not going to sacrifice dozens of perfectly good flowers I find on my way to town for nothing, people.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

I've probably played the majority of the Harvest Moons over my gaming life, but aside from the SNES original (which I stayed up for 36 hours playing once.... oh, to be young again) I've never really bothered with getting married in the games. Tell me, is there a version where your wife actually contributes to the farm or any of the daily routine?
I mean, I'm not going to sacrifice dozens of perfectly good flowers I find on my way to town for nothing, people.

In Harvest Moon 64 they'll do chores around the farm like feeding the chickens or collecting eggs, but they drop some of the eggs once in a while.

Ojjeorago fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 27, 2011

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Whizbang posted:

In Harvest Moon 64 they'll do chores around the farm like feeding the chickens or collecting eggs, but they drop some of the eggs once in a while.

Clumsy woman! No dinner for you!

I married Shara. It was terrible. She kept giving me flowers to eat and would call me fatty on occasion. And then I wasn't even sleeping at home and she tells me she's pregnant!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Whizbang posted:

Karen and Ann drop the eggs, I think. Ellie doesn't, but it's a pain in the rear end when she decides to harvest them during any "hey mister do you have any eggs you could sell me?" event. I honestly forget what Maria does, but instead of harvesting eggs, Popuri will water random squares in your fields (but not your greenhouse).

Sometimes they'll feed the chickens instead, which is awesome because it saves you chicken feed.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

The White Dragon posted:

Karen and Ann drop the eggs, I think.

If Ann drops the eggs, then watch did she ever learn at the Green Farm? :argh:

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
You can make your wife/husband AND kids do chores in Animal Parade! I don't know how it works though, I've never got that far in my game.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

I married Shara. It was terrible. She kept giving me flowers to eat and would call me fatty on occasion. And then I wasn't even sleeping at home and she tells me she's pregnant!

Pia's actually a pretty decent wife. She cooks squid for you daily (sometimes normal, sometimes sunsquid, which rocks), is convinced that all your kids' good qualities come from you, and continues to say nonsensical things on a regular basis. I guess she tells her family that you treat her harshly sometimes, but I've gotten past five game years and Shino hasn't murdered me in my sleep yet.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

A sidenote that I love to tell regarding this sort of thing: I'm probably the only human being on the planet who's played the second Gameboy version of Harvest Moon. No, not GBA, classic Gameboy.

One of the big features of the game was that it was the first wherein you could choose your gender, and they had different playstyles. The boy had a glove that would harvest the crops more easily, and the girl had an item which made raising animal affection levels much easier.

Now the punchline of this was what I discovered after playing through the girl's version of the game, romancing the doctor in the village, and wondering what would happen after marriage for the character.

Day of the marriage, the character says how happy she is now, and then...

GAME OVER! YOU'RE A HOUSEWIFE NOW! GET IN DAT KITCHEN! Thrilling.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
I've picked up Sunshine Island cheap second hand and I'm really enjoying it. I've tried time and time again to get into the console games but I've never found that they've held my attention for long. For me, nothing stood up to Friends of Mineral Town. Then again I still feel that way but, I've found myself growing quite fond of Sunshine Islands. I'm enjoying it enough to give it a proper play through. I have one question though, all this delicious lumber I'm fishing up. What can I do with it? I tried putting it on the floor to chop it up but I just got told off for littering.

Secondly, I'm looking at what HM games have been released in the last year. If I've enjoyed the RF games up until now is it worth my time picking up number 3? Also I see there's a new HM out soon, Tale of Two Towns? I'm considering skipping over Grand Bazaar and going straight for that one. Good idea?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
RF3 is leaps and bounds better than the other games, and the upcoming console game (Tides of Destiny, Wii/PS3) is worth looking at too.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Rune Factory 3 is great and you should buy it right now.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

I guess she tells her family that you treat her harshly sometimes, but I've gotten past five game years and Shino hasn't murdered me in my sleep yet.

Why would you be treating Pia harshly? :colbert:

Pia was really adorable; one of my favorite moments in the game was Pia's complete indiscretion about seeing my thing leading Shino to sharpen her old sword with murder in her eyes.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Blorknorg posted:

GAME OVER! YOU'RE A HOUSEWIFE NOW! GET IN DAT KITCHEN! Thrilling.

:raise: Well, we've come a long way at least.

Saoshyant posted:

Why would you be treating Pia harshly? :colbert:

Pia was really adorable; one of my favorite moments in the game was Pia's complete indiscretion about seeing my thing leading Shino to sharpen her old sword with murder in her eyes.

Here in my second playthrough, I'm a couple hours away from getting toward the end of RF3. I shall be marrying Pia soon, and my god I remember her being funny, but not this funny. Everything about her and her family (and on a sidenote, Pia's relationship with Shino and Sakuya is legitimately :3:), from the standup comedy routines to "assorted items in the bath" humor, is all so funny.

Contrast that to Marian, who is an annoying, grating character.

I also realized I used to play this game so quickly, rushing to my destinations with nary a break in between, that I never noticed Collette repeatedly falls down when milling about. Seriously, if you never caught it, she just stands around without moving, then falls down with a whine.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

What the gently caress?! What about the 3DS owners who have been waiting for this? That's so unfair.

Where did you hear 'indefinite'? This article says it'll be a month after the DS version, and Gamestop says it's 20 days after.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Seriously, if you never caught it, she just stands around without moving, then falls down with a whine.

I always thought it was blood pressure problems due to all the crap she eats.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I'm replaying and originally intended to not marry Pia since I did on my first run already, but she's adorable and has so many great lines.

IT'S SQUEEZIN' TIME! :3:

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.

GruntyThrst posted:

Rune Factory 3 is great and you should buy it right now.

And it has been bought. At least I have another month before Uni starts again...

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Revol posted:

What about the 3DS owners who have been waiting for this?

I guess both of you will just have to suffer through the 2D version.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

endolithic posted:

I'm replaying and originally intended to not marry Pia since I did on my first run already, but she's adorable and has so many great lines.

IT'S SQUEEZIN' TIME! :3:

They really did the impossible with Pia by making her wacky without being the least bit annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Contrast that to Marian, who is an annoying, grating character.

gently caress your poo poo, I'll take you on son. :colbert:

... Ahem. One of the best parts of RF3 is, of course, the characters. They are all likeable - In fact, the only character in the entire game I disliked was Shara, though I think that's a common (English, at least) sentiment.

The only downside of them is that, to memory, Carmen was the only character that was actually really fleshed out instead of just sitting on a few character quirks. (Of course, I haven't played it in several months.)

• Locked thread