Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Bunch of free and others here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/video-editors-advanced

Sweet, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoesdare
Sep 24, 2005

Still floofin

I have a super adorable mourning dove who likes to sit at the bottom of my driveway. It will sit and watch you walk/bike/drive right up to it. If you actively shoo it, then it flies away.

It does not seem to be injured, and it can fly. The only bird thing I haven't seen it do is walk around on the ground.

Should I be concerned about it? I don't want it getting hit by a car.

What should I do about it?

Here is a link to a picture of the little guy.
http://i.imgur.com/tRsvm.jpg

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

PlasticPaddy posted:

PayPal question! I recently tried to purchase a monitor from someone using PayPal. I sent them the money but they refunded it because my PP account wasn't verified through my bank account. Fair enough.My mistake. But I'm not seeing the refunded money in either my PP account or my bank account. I got an email from PP today verifying the money was refunded. So where is it?!

Any help would be appreciated.

are you sure the email was really from Paypal?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

stubblyhead posted:

If they're not on your credit report (either good or bad) than it would stand to reason that they're not in your name. It would be unusual for your student loans to be in your parents' names rather than yours, but I guess it is possible. I mean were they federally subsidized Stafford loans, or non-subsidized? Did they just go to the neighborhood loan shark? If you've ever had a loan or credit card in your name it would be on your report.

e: You could also try asking here. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2250971

They were not loans at all. Basically my parents sent me to college and told me they had the finances taken care of, and then proceeded to get declined for every loan. There's just a collection agency that owns the debt that the school sold to them.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

Schweinhund posted:

are you sure the email was really from Paypal?

Yeah it's from PayPal. Aren't refunds supposed to go instantly into your PP account? Or does it take a bit?

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Regarding credit scores:

I recently checked mine, and while it's very good, it mentioned one card's fairly-high outstanding balance as a minor blemish. This card is in mine and my mother's name (I used it as a student in college.)

Is there any way for me to get my name removed from that account? Will this affect my credit score negatively, as she claims? Any way to go around that?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Anonymous Robot posted:

They were not loans at all. Basically my parents sent me to college and told me they had the finances taken care of, and then proceeded to get declined for every loan. There's just a collection agency that owns the debt that the school sold to them.

This makes no sense. If a collection agency now owns the debt, there was originally a loan of some sort.

PlasticPaddy posted:

Yeah it's from PayPal. Aren't refunds supposed to go instantly into your PP account? Or does it take a bit?

It can take a bit. Its a huge pain in the rear end but you should get your money within a couple of days. Call Paypal and talk to them, they have a better idea of when it will be back in your account.

TequilaJesus posted:

Regarding credit scores:

I recently checked mine, and while it's very good, it mentioned one card's fairly-high outstanding balance as a minor blemish. This card is in mine and my mother's name (I used it as a student in college.)

Is there any way for me to get my name removed from that account? Will this affect my credit score negatively, as she claims? Any way to go around that?

It depends on who is the primary card holder. With any luck you may only be an "authorized user" in which case you can have yourself removed and that will come off your report. I was an authorized user on my mom's credit card to try and build my credit. Recently I asked her to remove me and it came off of my report. My credit score went up one point, so it's safe to say it doesn't really affect you.

Bojanglesworth fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 25, 2011

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Zoesdare posted:

I have a super adorable mourning dove who likes to sit at the bottom of my driveway. It will sit and watch you walk/bike/drive right up to it. If you actively shoo it, then it flies away.

It does not seem to be injured, and it can fly. The only bird thing I haven't seen it do is walk around on the ground.

Doves are really really really dumb. That's why its not really scared of you. My mom used to have a bunch of doves in her backyard, they would just chill and be oblivious to everything while other animals ran away from things. It's honestly surprising that it's considered sporting to shoot them.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Thanks for the electricity info guys.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Zoesdare posted:

You'll probably have more luck asking in the Bird Crazies thread, they know all there is to know about winged things.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

User-Friendly posted:

Wait, is it true that drinking just water during heavy exercise (like marathon-running) can kill you? I heard that forever ago, and I remember being told about some woman who died during a marathon because she wasn't replacing sodium along with the water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

And now my own water-related question: I often suspect that I'm slightly dehydrated, as I often drink nothing but soft drinks. So this morning I decided, today I'm going to drink a ton of water. I am midway through my first glass of the day, and I've started sweating. I wasn't aware I was feeling warm (in an air conditioned office and it's only 66 outside anyway), so is this maybe a response to my body for once having a little extra water and able to do something with it?

I do know that when I have a fever, drinking a lot of water causes me to sweat, but in this case I'm neither ill nor hot.

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
Anyone have a suggestion as to how I can optimally preserve some ticket stubs from movies? I read that some arts and crafts stores have sprays for neutralizing the acid in things. Lamination is also an idea, maybe a little expensive, but will that keep the ink from fading? I dunno if its important, but its the kind of paper that uses pressure to make the colour show up.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Golbez posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

And now my own water-related question: I often suspect that I'm slightly dehydrated, as I often drink nothing but soft drinks. So this morning I decided, today I'm going to drink a ton of water. I am midway through my first glass of the day, and I've started sweating. I wasn't aware I was feeling warm (in an air conditioned office and it's only 66 outside anyway), so is this maybe a response to my body for once having a little extra water and able to do something with it?

I do know that when I have a fever, drinking a lot of water causes me to sweat, but in this case I'm neither ill nor hot.

Sounds like your body is just coming off the abundant sugar it usually gets. If you can stay off the soft drinks for at least a week and you're still sweating a lot then maybe see a doctor? (Or you're just :goonsay:)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Dudebro posted:

Sounds like your body is just coming off the abundant sugar it usually gets. If you can stay off the soft drinks for at least a week and you're still sweating a lot then maybe see a doctor? (Or you're just :goonsay:)

No sugar drinks, actually, exclusively diet.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
This is arguable, but technically you still get your hydration from soft drinks. And your body doesn't know that you're not consuming real sugar; it still craves it.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

Anyone have a suggestion as to how I can optimally preserve some ticket stubs from movies? I read that some arts and crafts stores have sprays for neutralizing the acid in things. Lamination is also an idea, maybe a little expensive, but will that keep the ink from fading? I dunno if its important, but its the kind of paper that uses pressure to make the colour show up.

It's almost certainly done on high-acid wood-pulp paper, no matter what kind of printing process is used. Your problem is not so much the colors fading as it is the paper disintegrating due to high-acid (think of the way that old newspaper clippings yellow and crumble).

What you can do is spray it with professional conservator's deacidification spray. Not cheap, even in the home-use model.

http://www.shopbrodart.com/supplies...1/?q=bookkeeper

Lamination won't prevent the acids in the paper from destroying the paper fibers, nor will it prevent the colors from fading. All lamination does is protect the item itself and keep it intact, and if your intent is to make these collectible someday, lamination will screw that; collectors don't buy paper items that have been permanently laminated.

So what you want is to store them--loosely, not taped down, not glued--in between sheets of inert plastic of the type of plastic that does not outgas plasticizers. Look for "archival quality" on the box of sheets; Staples has this sort of thing.

Read this before you do anything. http://www.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/13-03.pdf

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

I have a bunch of .mkv files I want to burn onto DVDs. They're 720p, and I want to keep the quality high. What's the easiest way to burn multiple mkv files onto a DVD for watching while keeping the quality high?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
You want to watch them as standard def DVDs, like in a dvd player?

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

RaoulDuke12 posted:

You want to watch them as standard def DVDs, like in a dvd player?

Yessir, highest quality possible.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Econosaurus posted:

I have a bunch of .mkv files I want to burn onto DVDs. They're 720p, and I want to keep the quality high. What's the easiest way to burn multiple mkv files onto a DVD for watching while keeping the quality high?

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/FAVC

Others: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/all-in-one-dvd-converters?orderby=Rating

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 25, 2011

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

^^^ That's the best free option, and I don't have to write a paragraph on I,B,P frames, maximum bitrates PCM vs. AC3 audio encoding and multiplexing.

DVD looks like crap compared to modern day encoding though, so you likely aren't going to be happy in comparison to your 720p mkvs.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Yea, it really is like trying to record "high quality" from a CD to a tape. Best to find a way to keep it in its original format. Unless it's for that relative that can't figure poo poo out...then who cares about quality? ;)

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
We just had a pretty decent thunderstorm a little while ago, and while I was outside I saw the coolest loving thing. In the corner of my eye I saw a flash, and as I turned I saw what looked like a trail of sparks heading toward the ground. This is dumb, but it reminded me of the trail Arnold's railgun left when it fired in Eraser. And of course an instant later, the sharpest crack of thunder I've ever heard.

So I guess my question is, is that a "thing" with lightning, this after-trail of sparks? And I guess it's only visible when you're pretty close? Whatever it was, it was awesome.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

jackpot posted:

We just had a pretty decent thunderstorm a little while ago, and while I was outside I saw the coolest loving thing. In the corner of my eye I saw a flash, and as I turned I saw what looked like a trail of sparks heading toward the ground. This is dumb, but it reminded me of the trail Arnold's railgun left when it fired in Eraser. And of course an instant later, the sharpest crack of thunder I've ever heard.

So I guess my question is, is that a "thing" with lightning, this after-trail of sparks? And I guess it's only visible when you're pretty close? Whatever it was, it was awesome.

I've only personally witnessed one lightning strike very close to me (<25 yards) when a bolt hit a powerline. It was badass and yes, there was a trail of sparks but I don't know what caused them (the bolt or the line).

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

jackpot posted:

Since lightning is basically just a really huge spark, I wouldn't be surprised if at the end, it left a trail of smaller sparks.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

I got offered / accepted a teaching ("instructing," I suppose) gig at a post-grad college program starting January, and though I've gone in and done a bunch of 'guest-lectures,' I've never actually taught a full class through a semester.

Are there any resources out there to help? I know nothing about making lesson plans, tips for guiding through different subjects, etc. (Or, is there a subforum/megathread I couldn't find?)

For what it's worth, the students will be all aged 20-30; will be teaching animation-relevant things.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
I can't seem to find that xtranormal video of "So you want to be in IT". I think it's at a convention center and a kid walks up to a guy in IT and he dissuades him/her. Anyone have a link to that?

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

Travakian posted:

I got offered / accepted a teaching ("instructing," I suppose) gig at a post-grad college program starting January, and though I've gone in and done a bunch of 'guest-lectures,' I've never actually taught a full class through a semester.

Are there any resources out there to help? I know nothing about making lesson plans, tips for guiding through different subjects, etc. (Or, is there a subforum/megathread I couldn't find?)

For what it's worth, the students will be all aged 20-30; will be teaching animation-relevant things.

I found McKeachie's Teaching Tips (Amazon Link) to be very helpful. But as far as threads, I'd check the SAL subforum of D&D.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Can anyone explain to me what the hell is going on in this video? :psyduck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlAsP1faSHI&feature=related

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Can anyone explain to me what the hell is going on in this video? :psyduck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlAsP1faSHI&feature=related
The chairman of the committee wants to enter an executive session to make a budget decision. He has one second, but the other members of the committee are blocking the motion in order to debate the decision. The chairman, desperately clinging to his tiny, tiny amount of power, is throwing a temper tantrum. At the end of the video, the other members of the committee walk out, ending the meeting. The chairman believes he is still in control. He has a tiny penis. His wife loves another man. When the meeting is over, he will cry in a public restroom stall. He had power once. Committee power. His palms are damp with tears. He will have order. He will have... order...

Princess Peach
May 8, 2011
I'm driving 12 hours tomorrow and have a small cooler. Can anyone advise on how I might make a makeshift icepack with household materials?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Princess Peach posted:

I'm driving 12 hours tomorrow and have a small cooler. Can anyone advise on how I might make a makeshift icepack with household materials?
Ziploc bags and water in the freezer?

dvotx
Mar 9, 2011

Princess Peach posted:

In addition to the aforementioned you can also use empty soda bottles that you have filled with water and frozen, or you can just freeze water bottles. The plus side to the normal water bottles is you kill 2 birds with one stone by having drinks (As the ice melts) as well as keeping things cool. You might err towards the water bottles because you mentioned you have a small cooler and it would help conserve space.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Just make sure they're only filled up about 2/3rds. Expansion and all.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I've got an empty flowerpot outside, it's pretty big. About 3 feet high, 2 feet around at the widest point. If I were to fill it with water, at what point would I be in danger of having the pot bust due to the weight of the water? It's a cheap (but heavy) pot, and I'm assuming it's not very high quality. I just don't want to get it 3/4 full and it go to pieces on me.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
If it doesn't have any obvious cracks or anything, you should be able to fill it to overflowing without having to worry about it breaking. Is it made out of a particularly weak material?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I painted my living room blue. I liked it at first and it went well with stuff, but it just feels too dark at times. I'd like to leave two of the walls blue and paint the others white.

My question is, how hard is it to go from blue to white? I know I'll need a primer, but will this be something that requires 3-4 coats? Or are paints good enough these days to avoid that?

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

Niwrad posted:

I painted my living room blue. I liked it at first and it went well with stuff, but it just feels too dark at times. I'd like to leave two of the walls blue and paint the others white.

My question is, how hard is it to go from blue to white? I know I'll need a primer, but will this be something that requires 3-4 coats? Or are paints good enough these days to avoid that?

Realistically, yes. I have seen premium brands advertise 2 coats is sufficient, but I've never had any luck in that regard.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I purchased something through Amazon.com through a 3rd party, then 2 hours after I ordered it I found it for $40 cheaper on eBay. I contacted the seller via Amazon and told him I wanted to cancel the order but they shipped it out anyways. I have tried to contact the seller but they won't return my phone calls and emails. I bought this with a credit card. What to do next? The item is still in transit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

b0nes posted:

I purchased something through Amazon.com through a 3rd party, then 2 hours after I ordered it I found it for $40 cheaper on eBay. I contacted the seller via Amazon and told him I wanted to cancel the order but they shipped it out anyways. I have tried to contact the seller but they won't return my phone calls and emails. I bought this with a credit card. What to do next? The item is still in transit.

Depends on their return policy. If you placed the order, you're sort of responsible for it in my opinion.