Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I thought the general consensus on WTF?! was that it's a step in the right direction and a BIG improvement over the last few albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

sethsez posted:

I thought the general consensus on WTF?! was that it's a step in the right direction and a BIG improvement over the last few albums.

As a longtime KMFDM fan that thought Blitz was a steaming pile of poo poo, this is the correct view. WTF?! was enough to convince me to go see 'em again after 5 years.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
What a horrible name for an album though.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Just a fleeting thought, I must admit I'm a bit worried they're getting too blatantly political to the point the lyrics are becoming overtly predictable. Obviously they've always been socially conscious, which is what they are all about of course, but when you focus on that one angle over and over.. well you'll loose the abstract and artistic aspects that made their 80's/early 90's stuff so different.

I'm guessing alot of that had to do with Raymond Watts, Chris Connelly, Ogre, etc... doing frequent guest vocals back then. Not that Lucia and Skold aren't good lyrically, I just think they are too close to Sascha's own writing style, and that in turn keeps things on one level as a little less dynamic creatively.

That being said I did see them live for WTF? and it was really awesome.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

sethsez posted:

This is very true. WTF?! will only help solidify their legacy for the scene. I wish My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult could have done the same. Not sure why TKK went the direction they did after the first few albums. I just prefer their darker stuff.

tays revenge fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 21, 2011

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

The Cleaner posted:

Just a fleeting thought, I must admit I'm a bit worried they're getting too blatantly political to the point the lyrics are becoming overtly predictable. Obviously they've always been socially conscious, which is what they are all about of course, but when you focus on that one angle over and over.. well you'll loose the abstract and artistic aspects that made their 80's/early 90's stuff so different.

I'm guessing alot of that had to do with Raymond Watts, Chris Connelly, Ogre, etc... doing frequent guest vocals back then. Not that Lucia and Skold aren't good lyrically, I just think they are too close to Sascha's own writing style, and that in turn keeps things on one level as a little less dynamic creatively.

That being said I did see them live for WTF? and it was really awesome.

This is their first overtly political album since WWIII and Lucia's lyrical writing is nothing like Sascha's at all.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Oh I do think, compared to Watts or Connelly at least, she follows similar suit. When I hear choruses like "Emergency! Emergency! Insurgency!" I'm hearing it. I find she tends to stick to a more pop style however that suits her voice well especially live. Don't get me wrong I'm not a Lucia hater I think she fits in fantastic, better than Skold but I mean Skold's a whole other debate.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Police Academy 6 posted:

there's still an industrial scene in detroit? i saw apop in pontiac in 2009 and there was NOBODY THERE

There still is, yes. One, Apop had a huge falling off with the Detroit fans after You and Me Against The World and two, Pontiac concerts (almost) always do badly since Industry shut down.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I just got a CD in the mail.

Stopping Stations by Observe & Control, an Israeli EBM band.

I've never heard of this band nor have I ordered anything like this. It was sent to me directly from the label Metoraf Records from Israel, so it wasn't even from any online record shop I use. I've also never heard of the label before.

what the gently caress :psyduck:

I'm confused, even a tad scared right now. Where did they get my address? Is this some pro-Israel (let's not derail with this though) aggrotech poo poo? What's going on? I'll have to have a listen when I get back from the grocery.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 23, 2011

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

God it's awful too. Pretty scary though haha.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Furret Basket posted:

God it's awful too. Pretty scary though haha.

Listened to a couple of tracks before leaving for work and it honestly wasn't terrible. Just some unremarkable synthpoppy stuff with generic synthpop vocals, some vaguely EBM-ish basslines and very lazy ruff guitars thrown in there.

Sent an email to the band/label asking where the poo poo they got my address anyway. I mean, thanks for the free CD and all, I guess, but I'm just not comfortable with this.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Tell them that you're a Muslimgauze fan, that'll probably stop them sending you stuff!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Cleaner posted:

Don't get me wrong I'm not a Lucia hater I think she fits in fantastic, better than Skold but I mean Skold's a whole other debate.

This may come off as dickish, but has Skold created anything interesting at all? Everything I've heard that he was involved in the creation of has just inspired overwhelming 'meh' upon listening.

On another topic, what are people's attitudes towards Razed in Black these days? I haven't gone much further than Damaged, but that was a nice album to sink high-school teeth into, despite how derivative/poppy it was.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Darthemed posted:

This may come off as dickish, but has Skold created anything interesting at all? Everything I've heard that he was involved in the creation of has just inspired overwhelming 'meh' upon listening.

I thought Skold vs. KMFDM was pretty sweet.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I think the majority of us will agree that Anarchy from the Symbols album was a really good. That being said it was his first time with KMFDM, and all he really did were vocals.

But that's the thing. After that everyone expected Anarchy. And instead we got stuff like Save Me. Which sounded like Linkin Park.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

The Cleaner posted:

And instead we got stuff like Save Me. Which sounded like Linkin Park.

Woah, now, let's not say anything we can't take back.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Tell them that you're a Muslimgauze fan, that'll probably stop them sending you stuff!

Yeah but then you'll get killed by the Mossad.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Cleaner posted:

I think the majority of us will agree that Anarchy from the Symbols album was a really good. That being said it was his first time with KMFDM, and all he really did were vocals.

But that's the thing. After that everyone expected Anarchy. And instead we got stuff like Save Me. Which sounded like Linkin Park.
I quite liked That's All, and Today was a bit of a guilty pleasure :shobon:

KimJongUnstoppable
Sep 18, 2010

Juche Lyfe 4 Ever!
I'm generally an Industrial snob, basically refusing to listen to anything that was made after 1995. But I'll admit that I liked Tim Skold's self-titled "Skold" album. At least I think that was the one I liked. I can't find much about the albums he released under the name Skold, so they probably didn't do well.

+1 for Anarchy being a great song.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

zygotesix posted:

I'm generally an Industrial snob, basically refusing to listen to anything that was made after 1995.

Why?

e: I just think it's retarded to limit yourself like this when it comes to music. There's plenty of good stuff everywhere.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 24, 2011

KimJongUnstoppable
Sep 18, 2010

Juche Lyfe 4 Ever!

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Why?

e: I just think it's retarded to limit yourself like this when it comes to music. There's plenty of good stuff everywhere.

I wasn't being serious. My tastes just lie toward the older end of the spectrum - Skinny Puppy, (earlier) Nine Inch Nails, Throbbing Gristle, SPK, etc. I do like some more modern acts like Grendel and Hocico, but I never really got that far into the newer industrial, it sounds more like dance music to me.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Speaking of complaining about modern industrial, it's Infest tomorrow!

I'll be the guy shouting "I looooove you!" at Dirk Ivens. Well, maybe.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

zygotesix posted:

I wasn't being serious. My tastes just lie toward the older end of the spectrum - Skinny Puppy, (earlier) Nine Inch Nails, Throbbing Gristle, SPK, etc. I do like some more modern acts like Grendel and Hocico, but I never really got that far into the newer industrial, it sounds more like dance music to me.

For better or for worse, I'm placed on this team as well. However, I still enjoy the later Puppy releases and really like what ohGr is doing with his solo material. The same goes for T-Rez and his band of angry men. As far as new artists and sounds though, I can never get interested more than a cursory listen. Even with a band like KMFDM who arguably have been releasing the same LP for the past few years, I pretty much stopped with Adios, and only like one or two things from ATTAK and WWIII.

I've heard some new stuff that I enjoy (that Dryft album is really nice) and I really enjoyed the Beehatch project that Phil Western did with Spybey as well as Western's solo material but most of the new stuff that gets mentioned here (and even the new stuff from old artists sup bleeb gets much play with me. When it comes to this genre, I feel like one of those cranky old guys who pretty much stopped exploring music at a certain date and never looked back.

KimJongUnstoppable
Sep 18, 2010

Juche Lyfe 4 Ever!

hatelull posted:

For better or for worse, I'm placed on this team as well. However, I still enjoy the later Puppy releases and really like what ohGr is doing with his solo material. The same goes for T-Rez and his band of angry men. As far as new artists and sounds though, I can never get interested more than a cursory listen. Even with a band like KMFDM who arguably have been releasing the same LP for the past few years, I pretty much stopped with Adios, and only like one or two things from ATTAK and WWIII.

I've heard some new stuff that I enjoy (that Dryft album is really nice) and I really enjoyed the Beehatch project that Phil Western did with Spybey as well as Western's solo material but most of the new stuff that gets mentioned here (and even the new stuff from old artists sup bleeb gets much play with me. When it comes to this genre, I feel like one of those cranky old guys who pretty much stopped exploring music at a certain date and never looked back.

I loved ohGr's first solo album even if it was a little pop-techno for my tastes. Grendel's Harsh Generation was an album I really gravitated toward, and I don't quite know why. I've loved the hell out of quite a few :wumpscut: albums, too. I just haven't latched onto anything recently. I feel like a lot of the new industrial acts think that industrial music is dance music that's heavily distorted with distorted vocals. I can't even remember the last time I heard properly overcompressed vocals, outside of a Skinny Puppy album.

I can't really say poo poo though because back when I was younger (and angrier) and still producing music, most of my vocals were overcompressed AND distorted. Also, I may have abused the right to add samples of power tools to my tracks. I'll forever be guilty of being "that guy".

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
While I can't be bothered with much of the tiresome doof-doof-doof-distorted sp00ky vocals and/or sample of someone german aggrotech/terror EBM type stuff (all the Suicide Commando/Hocico/Combichrist wannabes and the various bands like X-Rx, Xotox and Noisuf-X who all sound pretty identikit) there's still a lot of good stuff coming out. Ant-Zen and Hands are still releasing some great things if you like things a little more noisy.

Most recent thing I bought is Insignificancy Rising, from Libido Formandi. It's really good, reminds me of stuff like Empusae maybe. If you like Dryft then it might well appeal.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

I can't be bothered with much of the tiresome doof-doof-doof-distorted sp00ky vocals

"why are you listening to german goblin techno?" - a friend

I guess he was more of a norwegian ork metal guy.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Speaking of complaining about modern industrial, it's Infest tomorrow!

I'll be the guy shouting "I looooove you!" at Dirk Ivens. Well, maybe.

For the first time in about 6-7 years I'm not going to Infest. :( The lineup just wasn't good enough for how much it's going to cost. At least I managed Resistanz, which was totally boss.

I am going to Manchester Pride though! :nyan:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Furret Basket posted:

For the first time in about 6-7 years I'm not going to Infest. :( The lineup just wasn't good enough for how much it's going to cost. At least I managed Resistanz, which was totally boss.

I am going to Manchester Pride though! :nyan:

I really really like everythings Dirk Ivens does, so two of his bands kind of sold it for me, otherwise I'd have been conflicted.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Sonar and Tactical Sekt are the only reasons I would have gone. The announcement of Sonar really broke my heart because I had kinda decided not to go at that point. I love Sonar.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Sonar seem to play relatively often at mainland Europe events, so you could always save up for a trip to the Continent for foreign beer and loud music

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Just so that everyone remembers: FLA loving owns live. Leeb and the boys just seem to have so much fun on stage, it's great to watch. The setlist was somewhat altered from the now-age-old IED list, they started with loving GUN (yessssssSs), dropped some IED tracks for older ones (Gun, Vigilante) and changed the order. Good stuff.

Conjure One was fun as well, just Fulber playing alone, though. Too bad we missed about ten minutes of his set due to confusion about the whereabouts of the club, thanks to Hedenius for the directions! Fulber later joined FLA on stage for Bio-Mechanic, the last encore song. I also grabbed Exilarch since it was only like 100 kronor (~11 €).

One weird-rear end thing: the merch guy was the exact same dude from whom I've bought stuff at Laibach shows in Finland. I'm 100 percent sure about this, it's the same loving guy. He even had a Laibach shirt on and the cash register they had with them was Laibach's, with the NSK sticker on it. What is that guy's story? Does he just travel around with legendary industrial bands selling merch like it's no big deal or what? My cousin told me to ask him after the Conjure One set but then people flooded the stand and I didn't want to get in the way. If I ever see him again I'll have to ask.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 28, 2011

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

I'm so jealous.

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010
I've been listening to my last.fm ebm station for the past couple of hours and for whatever reason I've gotten into the habit of skipping any German/Swedish artist(s) that come up.

yeah, it doesn't leave me with much to listen to, as I'm skipping 9/10 of the songs that come up. Long story short, any American EBM (or close to it) bands that can be named?

Assemblage 23 is the only that comes to mind.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Just so that everyone remembers: FLA loving owns live. Leeb and the boys just seem to have so much fun on stage, it's great to watch. The setlist was somewhat altered from the now-age-old IED list, they started with loving GUN (yessssssSs), dropped some IED tracks for older ones (Gun, Vigilante) and changed the order. Good stuff.

FLA was my second or third ever show as a kid! I saw them when I was sixteen and my dad drove me to the show :3: I remember their loving NUTS live show, multimedia displays on huge screens. Glad to hear they're still putting on great shows.

poo poo, now that I think about it, Front 242 was my first concert and Skinny Puppy was third -- that was, I think, just before Too Dark Park came out and there were ludicrous props and cages with monsters and bizarre poo poo everywhere.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

boo_radley posted:

FLA was my second or third ever show as a kid! I saw them when I was sixteen and my dad drove me to the show :3: I remember their loving NUTS live show, multimedia displays on huge screens. Glad to hear they're still putting on great shows.

poo poo, now that I think about it, Front 242 was my first concert and Skinny Puppy was third -- that was, I think, just before Too Dark Park came out and there were ludicrous props and cages with monsters and bizarre poo poo everywhere.

Well, that's certainly not a bad way to start your show-watching life :stare:

Furret Basket posted:

I'm so jealous.

So do as I did and jump 'cross that silly canal! Plenty of shows in good old Deutschland, for example ;) Was def worth all the money I plunked down into that trip to Sweden.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 29, 2011

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

molotoveverything posted:

American EBM (or close to it) bands that can be named?

Assemblage 23 is the only that comes to mind.

Psyclon Nine, Electric Hellfire Club, Unter Null, God Module, Revolting Cocks, Terrorfakt, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult (1988 - 1990), Ministry (early), Schnitt Acht, Skinny Puppy, Front Line Assembly and Ayria (if you don't mind Canada). Some of these aren't really pure EBM but fairly related and influenced by electro-industrial. There are also very good artists from the UK as well.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Haven't seen anyone mention the new Skinny Puppy album details:

Due Oct 25th/28th

1. ovirt
2. cullorblind
3. wavy
4. ashas
5. gambatte
6. icktums
7. point
8. brownstone
9. vyrisus
10. village
11. noisex

Brownstone is a reference to an Ohgr thing which is... interesting.
Apparently there's samples here but I can't get it to load.
http://www.spv.de/_BRIDGE/products.php?product=308282

Also, this:

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
That artwork is embarrassing.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
HAHHA. It looks like a goth highschool senior picture. Um, remind me.. Skinny Puppy is a serious band? HAHAH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Just how deep can the tongue go into the cheek?