Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

UselessLurker posted:

Didn't V13 actually not exist for a while, strictly speaking? It was originally supposed to be a cell phone game until they scrapped that idea.

V13 has excited for quite awhile now, they announced it like 5 years ago alongside then-Agito 13 and FF13 and for a long time we only had a trailer or two. Agito, later "Type-0" was supposed to be a cell phone game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ayana posted:

If I remember right, the final boss has a dick move. It's actually resistant to Almighty. I just barely squeaked by on my first time in the original using that exact strategy plus a lot of luck and a few more levels (I was at least in the 60's, I think.)

Yeah, he does resist it. I managed to get a sweet dual shadow 8 hit total holy dance on him and he still had over 70% of his life left. :argh:

Doorselfin
Dec 18, 2004

You broke my sitar, motherfucker.

FART BOSS posted:

Apparently this site appeared today http://p-atlus.jp/

Looks like yet another persona rerelease. Geez Atlus.

I'm 15 hours into my very first play through of Persona 4, just finished the steamy bathhouse.

...Welp, I guess it's time to put it down for now. I'll miss you, 3D character models (OR WILL I?!)

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Policenaut posted:

V13 has excited for quite awhile now, they announced it like 5 years ago alongside then-Agito 13 and FF13 and for a long time we only had a trailer or two. Agito, later "Type-0" was supposed to be a cell phone game.

They haven't even started the actual production for VSXIII though, which is what I meant. Considering we've actually seen stuff from that game though means P5's got it even worse.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

So I'm sure this is a dumb question but what exactly ties the "main series" SMT games together? I mean they're not in any kind of real continuity, are they? I've only played Devil Survivor and Strange Journey from the main series and all four Persona games (well, and a brief stint on SMT: Imagine - sooooo much wasted potential).

I'm looking to grab Nocturne next if I can figure out a way to safely stash a PS2 Slim, controller and connectors in my carry on bag.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
I'm pretty sure they're intentionally not showing anything until a few months before Japanese release (Catherine was announced around four months before release, I think.)

e: Though I guess if anyone is expecting a late 2011 Japanese release then, well.

Cheap Diner Coffee fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 25, 2011

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ryoshi posted:

So I'm sure this is a dumb question but what exactly ties the "main series" SMT games together? I mean they're not in any kind of real continuity, are they? I've only played Devil Survivor and Strange Journey from the main series and all four Persona games (well, and a brief stint on SMT: Imagine - sooooo much wasted potential).

I'm looking to grab Nocturne next if I can figure out a way to safely stash a PS2 Slim, controller and connectors in my carry on bag.
Some of them share universes, (The Persona series is implied to all take place in the same universe, and it's outright shown that P4 and P3 do), and a couple of demons or sidequests reference other SMT games, but there's not really any real continuity. Like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, it's mostly the shared themes, gameplay mechanics, and concepts.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Ryoshi posted:

Mostly similar themes, characters and demons. Just think of it like Final Fantasy.

One thing to note though, I'm pretty sure in Japan Persona isn't part of the SMT series.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Ryoshi posted:

I mean they're not in any kind of real continuity, are they?

Not really, no. It's really not something you should ever worry about unless the game comes straight and says that the events from one game happened in the same world as the events in another.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So, after abusing the suspend save feature for around an hour to force the RNG to bend to my will, I beat the game. But....There's no 8th day. (at least for the Atsuro route) which is a bit disappointing to say the least. I hope it's not only one ending that has it and the rest get shafted because that just screams laziness. :geno:

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

tooooooo bad posted:

Working on Catherine was working on P5. It was a way to establish their technology and figure things out with a less serious project before starting on the real deal. It also gave them a break from the series which was almost certainly for the best.

Exactly. It's the same as when Atlus made Maken Shao: Demon Sword in order to test their new 3D graphics engine, then used that engine to make Nocturne and company.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So, after abusing the suspend save feature for around an hour to force the RNG to bend to my will, I beat the game. But....There's no 8th day. (at least for the Atsuro route) which is a bit disappointing to say the least. I hope it's not only one ending that has it and the rest get shafted because that just screams laziness. :geno:

Atsuro and Gin's paths don't have an 8th Day, because, you know, they both get rid of all the demons on the 7th Day. The others paths - Yuzu, Amane and Naoya/Kaido are the only ones that lead to Day 8.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This post made me look up more about the 8th day and I think it's kind of supposed to be like the Answer in P3 where it doesn't start up after you beat the game, so maybe check the menus and see if you've unlocked the 8th day or something.

Edit: Never mind, this is wrong, read the post above me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

Atsuro and Gin's paths don't have an 8th Day, because, you know, they both get rid of all the demons on the 7th Day. The others paths - Yuzu, Amane and Naoya/Kaido are the only ones that lead to Day 8.

Ah yeah that makes sense. I just assumed it would have plot deviced an 8th day instead. Well that makes me less mad. Into new game + I go!

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Doorselfin posted:

I'm 15 hours into my very first play through of Persona 4, just finished the steamy bathhouse.

...Welp, I guess it's time to put it down for now. I'll miss you, 3D character models (OR WILL I?!)

If it does come to Vita, it's definitely powerful enough to run Persona 4 in it's entirety.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It probably won't have to do the whole static picture thing either, but if it did it'd probably have faster navigation because you could just tap places.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Doorselfin posted:

No, no, don't do that. Persona 4 is an awesome game.

Think about it! Even *IF* the announcement is for a Persona 4 Portable, which is only speculation at this point, it'll still take months for it and the Playstation Vita to be released. And aproximately a year for it to be translated and localized into English. Persona 3 Portable was first announced in August of 2009, released in Japan on November 1, 2009, and in North America on July 6, 2010. So that's like a year wait.

Nathander
Apr 23, 2008

Ryoshi posted:

Shin Megami Tensei I and II are directly related, and there's a tie between I&II and Nocturne through one of the characters. The Persona games all take place in the same universe. P3 and P4 are shown to be in the same continuity, and P3 is linked to P1 as one of the major groups in P3 (Kirijo Group) is a split off of a business group/one of the main character's families from P1 (Nanjo Group).

All things considered, if this is a P4 remake they're doing? I'm kinda "eh" on the idea of there being a female protagonist. While it would make the most sense in order to make the game have replayability, there was actual story precedent for a "female protagonist" route in P3.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Nathander posted:

All things considered, if this is a P4 remake they're doing? I'm kinda "eh" on the idea of there being a female protagonist. While it would make the most sense in order to make the game have replayability, there was actual story precedent for a "female protagonist" route in P3.

There was? :confused:

Nathander
Apr 23, 2008

Xythar posted:

There was? :confused:

Remember the car crash that kills the main protagonists family? His family was mother, father, and twin sister. In the original, he's the one that lives. In P3P route, he's the one that dies and it's his twin sister you play as.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nathander posted:

Remember the car crash that kills the main protagonists family? His family was mother, father, and twin sister. In the original, he's the one that lives. In P3P route, he's the one that dies and it's his twin sister you play as.

:aaa: I never caught on to that, that's pretty clever. That being said, I really don't think that makes any difference as to the viability of a Female Protagonist in a P4 remake.

Nathander
Apr 23, 2008
Eh. I'm not saying I'd be offended, I'm just saying that it makes sense since either way whichever twin survived would be the one who'd become Death's host for the next few years, which adds some significance to it in that the other had at least been mentioned. Adding a female protagonist to P4 just seems even more extraneous than it would in P3, is what I guess I'm saying, since nothing in the story would have ever called for it.

Doorselfin
Dec 18, 2004

Catalina posted:

No, no, don't do that. Persona 4 is an awesome game.

But then there'll be less incentive for me to pick it up right away... I'm not even considering a 3DS and Devil Survivor Overclocked at the moment.

Maybe I'll wait for more details to emerge to see how different it will be before continuing to invest 90 hours of my life on Persona 4 right off the back of Catherine and P3P :3

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Just play the game already :colbert:

I bought Persona 3 three times and probably spent well over 200 hours on all versions combined and it was still worth it.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Nathander posted:

Wait, was this ever confirmed? I always thought it was just fans being fans.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I played through P3 a good half a dozen times easily and I don't remember the having a twin sister who died thing at all. I even just checked a script of it on GameFAQs and there's no mention of it there either. It's almost definitely just fans being fans.

Nathander
Apr 23, 2008

Schlegel Mach posted:

I always thought it's what we're supposed to take out of it, considering they do confirm the that there is a sibling, and that it is a twin in the original game.

That being said, I can't confirm it with absolute certainty, but it's what makes the most sense.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Nathander posted:

The Persona games all take place in the same universe. P3 and P4 are shown to be in the same continuity, and P3 is linked to P1 as one of the major groups in P3 (Kirijo Group) is a split off of a business group/one of the main character's families from P1 (Nanjo Group).

Small detail, but if... is also part of the continuity, at least Persona 1+2.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Doorselfin posted:

But then there'll be less incentive for me to pick it up right away... I'm not even considering a 3DS and Devil Survivor Overclocked at the moment.

Maybe I'll wait for more details to emerge to see how different it will be before continuing to invest 90 hours of my life on Persona 4 right off the back of Catherine and P3P :3

Ah, but see, that works in your favor! You can wait for the inevitable price drops!
Seriously, though, I could see how you'd be a bit wary after playing P3P and Catherine. hahaha. I finished the Good End of P4 myself in a 110 hour playthrough, and got up to the fall trip in P3 FES and just completely burned out.

Schlegel Mach posted:

I'm curious about this as well.

Also, I recall reading some notes with some sketches and notes of Persona 3 concept art that said a female protagonist had been considered in the early stages of planning Persona 3, but had been scrapped because of time constraints. But I can't find exactly where I read that, so take my memory with a grain of salt.

Doorselfin
Dec 18, 2004

Endorph posted:

The Persona series is implied to all take place in the same universe, and it's outright shown that P4 and P3 do.

Also the main antagonist of Catherine bought Tartarus for cheap after the dudes in Persona 3 were done with it.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
Can someone please spoiler Day 8 for Devil Survivor DS. I'm debating whether I should just buy a cheap copy of the original or wait. I beat DS before but sold my copy to a goon for money I needed and am getting the urge to play it again. I don't have a 3ds yet but I was expecting more extra stuff from this game to warrant purchasing it but subpar voice acting (that can be disabled thankfully) and what looks like a tacked on extra day just aren't doing it for me.

How many extra demons are there?

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
I'm really interested in what the 8th day is like, too. I mean I'll probably buy Overclock anyway but it'll be better if I set myself up for disappointment.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I heard 20 new demons, but I can't confirm that at the moment.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Nathander posted:

Adding a female protagonist to P4 just seems even more extraneous than it would in P3, is what I guess I'm saying, since nothing in the story would have ever called for it.

I mean, his family isn't mentioned at all besides one crack from Dojima at the end and an earlier comment by Chie, and none of it mentions siblings; it could be that they decided to take one kid with them and one kid was sent to live with Dojima.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Can someone please spoiler Day 8 for Devil Survivor DS. I'm debating whether I should just buy a cheap copy of the original or wait. I beat DS before but sold my copy to a goon for money I needed and am getting the urge to play it again. I don't have a 3ds yet but I was expecting more extra stuff from this game to warrant purchasing it but subpar voice acting (that can be disabled thankfully) and what looks like a tacked on extra day just aren't doing it for me.

Like twenty.

Take it from someone who now owns a copy of the original and Overclocked, if you've played and beaten the original, you'll get just as much from replaying the DS version as you will from this.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned much that I just saw, the "3D fusion screen" that was added? I'm pretty sure it's the same one from the DS version, but with the two spinning cards given the 3D effect. I feel like they could've at least given us a 3D model of the summoned demon or something.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Cityinthesea posted:

I mean, his family isn't mentioned at all besides one crack from Dojima at the end and an earlier comment by Chie, and none of it mentions siblings; it could be that they decided to take one kid with them and one kid was sent to live with Dojima.

In Nanako's social link, she'll ask you if you have a sister, and if you reply that you do, she'll ask if it's a little sister. I have a younger sister, so I answered yes to both. Her sad face and voice will haunt me until the end of my days.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

fount of knowledge posted:

Like twenty.

Ahh, so that's why I haven't seen any yet. Jesus, they could have at least put in 50 new demons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Overclocked so far is staggeringly unimpressive as a port. Way sub-FES. I'll see how the 8th day is but I'm not excited.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Justice you weren't perhaps planning on being as crazy charitable as always and hosting an Innocent Sin contest like you did for P3P?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'd say the one thing that ties together the core SMT games is that the end of the world is simply an introduction. Technically this isn't the case in SMT II, but that's just because that it's a direct sequel to the first.