Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Footboy posted:

First-time rooter here. When I booted into Cyanogen+GAPPS for the first time I got the "IMPORTANT: This program will only appear once and is used to search for applications on the market" screen, and hit Skip because I'd rather do that over wi-fi. Now that I've configured wi-fi on my phone, how do I get back to that screen?
I think you can get to it by rerunning Pacman.apk in the /sys/apps folder but it's clumsy, really. I would either use TB to restore just the apps (+data of anything you wanted to restore) or simply download them all through the Market manually. You're probably thinking "but I don't want to have to do all that in the Market myself, that's the point of the downloader" but you have to manually approve them all anyway and it's not that much more work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Mark Larson posted:

Is this also possible with the Sensation? Does it make a difference?
Yes, it's possible. I haven't seen much of an effect on my 3D.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 5, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

FlyingCheese posted:

Edit: What exactly is CIQ anyway?
It's CarrierIQ, an "analytics" (some would say "spying") framework that has the ability to track a bunch of poo poo on your phone and report it to the carrier.

FlyingCheese posted:

Is it worth removing?
Hard to say. If you're the :tinfoil: type, then it needs to be exterminated immediately. Given that Sprint appears not to actually have used it, and much of the data it's capable of monitoring Sprint can already grab through other mechanisms, I wouldn't bother. There's anecdotal reports of Epics being faster/having better battery life without it. The main issue is that it's embedded pretty deep in the Android framework, so you have to run a custom ROM to remove it totally (most of the Epic ones do).

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Mark Larson posted:

Is this also possible with the Sensation? Does it make a difference?

It is, but it feels like only a slight difference. The 2.3.4 OTA for the Sensation though made a lot more of a difference, and it feels like Rosie is GPU accelerated there. Could also be some optimizations too.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

Got a link for this? Sounds interesting.

The first "echo" will remove the debug icon from the taskbar, the second is for GPU acceleration of the UI. Get ADB ready and just run these in order.

cp /system/build.prop /sdcard/build.prop.bak
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p23 /system
echo "persist.adb.notify=0" >> /system/build.prop
echo "debug.sf.hw=1" >> /system/build.prop
mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mmcblk0p23 /system
reboot recovery

Now clear dalvik, although I'm not 100% you need to do this, then reboot.

To backout the changes:
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p23 /system
cp /sdcard/build.prop.bak /system/build.prop
mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mmcblk0p23 /system
reboot recovery

Clear dalvik again if you want then reboot.

If you can't boot because you typed something wrong, just open ADB from recovery mount /system and do the backout thing above.

Boffo Beach Babe!!!
Mar 7, 2003

I really wish the X2 had a hardware button for the camera, I really hate having to tap the small button on the screen only when the menu rolls back into place. There was a nice mod to the camera.apk on the XDA forums, but it changed the camera app down to the Froyo version and dropped the maximum resolution. How hard would it be to mod the 2.3.3 camera app to map, say, the search button to the shutter? Eh. Rooting was a pain but I haven't really explored any of the rewards for my effort :[

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Boffo Beach Babe!!! posted:

How hard would it be to mod the 2.3.3 camera app to map, say, the search button to the shutter?
Probably not hard, especially if you don't care about the (non-existent) hardware camera button working anymore. I can take a stab at modding it for you--can probably do it sometime today or this evening.

What ROM are you using, stock 2.3.3 rooted? Is this the right SBF?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Happy day for Droid 3 owners... root has been finally accomplished. Wonder if this method will hold true for the bionic. My friend is already blowing up my phone asking if I'll try this for him tonight.

http://vulnfactory.org/blog/2011/08/25/rooting-the-droid-3/

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Footboy posted:

First-time rooter here. When I booted into Cyanogen+GAPPS for the first time I got the "IMPORTANT: This program will only appear once and is used to search for applications on the market" screen, and hit Skip because I'd rather do that over wi-fi. Now that I've configured wi-fi on my phone, how do I get back to that screen?

You aren't missing much. All it does is group the most popular google apps into one place. it's just gmail, googles, facebook and a few others. You can still get them off the market.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

FlyingCheese posted:

Just sign up for the beta, it's free.

Is it a 30 day demo or something? My buddy said he signed up for some kind of beta and it was time limited.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Sweet, it turns out that using app2ext (Darktremor or S2E) on a Mac or Linux box can make the phone unstable and corrupt the SD card, according to a post on CM's forums.

Nexus Prime can't get announced fast enough.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

b0nes posted:

Is it a 30 day demo or something? My buddy said he signed up for some kind of beta and it was time limited.

It's like 4 months, and all you have to do is grab the latest beta to renew.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Sweet, it turns out that using app2ext (Darktremor or S2E) on a Mac or Linux box can make the phone unstable and corrupt the SD card, according to a post on CM's forums.

Nexus Prime can't get announced fast enough.
Um, why do you need a PC at all for implementing a2ext except for the backing up and restoring the data? Even then it's not like you're doing anything to the card besides reading/writing to it, I can't see how doing that under Mac or Linux could affect the card in any way.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
So, still no decent ROMs for the 3D eh?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Stunt Rock posted:

So, still no decent ROMs for the 3D eh?

The stock ROM is fast and has very few issues, so the only thing left for the ROM "developers" is to theme it and remove the stock apps as well as pretending to remove Sense. CM7 and MIUI are really the only things that offer anything more than just crappy themes and they're not done yet.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

900ftjesus posted:

The stock ROM is fast and has very few issues, so the only thing left for the ROM "developers" is to theme it and remove the stock apps as well as pretending to remove Sense. CM7 and MIUI are really the only things that offer anything more than just crappy themes and they're not done yet.

I agree with about most of the ROMs. Although I pretty much stick with MIUI I always like Myn's Warm ROMs with Sense. I would be curious to see what he would do with the 3D and Sense 3.0.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

My big frustration so far is email widgets:

If I run stock launcher I can use the Email widget, which is great for my work email. But there is no GMail widget.

Last time I ran LP, it has a Gmail widget, but no email widget.

Anyone know of a way around this? All I want is one of both.

And my only complaint performance wise is Sense widgets: I like them, but drat do they take a long time to load (especially the Bookmarks and Email widgets). I like the layout a lot, but am close to going back to LP.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

My big frustration so far is email widgets:

If I run stock launcher I can use the Email widget, which is great for my work email. But there is no GMail widget.

Last time I ran LP, it has a Gmail widget, but no email widget.

Anyone know of a way around this? All I want is one of both.

And my only complaint performance wise is Sense widgets: I like them, but drat do they take a long time to load (especially the Bookmarks and Email widgets). I like the layout a lot, but am close to going back to LP.

The LP Gmail widget (and all other 3rd-party Gmail widgets) were broken by the latest Gmail update. Not sure if that makes your decision any easier.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

900ftjesus posted:

They seem to offer some updated apps, but I don't see why I couldn't flash those myself. I'm also wary of a lot of the promised "optimizations" that are thrown in there. The more they claim to get rid of Sense the more skeptical I am.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

900ftjesus posted:

I mentioned Synergy before, and I'll bring it up again. It's got a ton of little tweaks here and there, but appears stock from a distance. It's very similar to Fresh ROM.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

LastInLine posted:

Um, why do you need a PC at all for implementing a2ext except for the backing up and restoring the data? Even then it's not like you're doing anything to the card besides reading/writing to it, I can't see how doing that under Mac or Linux could affect the card in any way.

I use my phone as a giant thumbnail drive to play video files on devices like my TV, PS3, etc.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Could somebody with an EVO 4G running CM 7.1 with a 100% working Market (easy test I've found is searching for the Groupon app) post their ro.build.fingerprint from build.prop file? I've tried a couple of different Market fixes, but no matter, I'm still getting no results on searches on my phone for some apps, and "not supported" messages for them in the Web Market. The weird part is that if I uninstall the Market update and go back to the green one, everything is fine.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

SLOSifl posted:

I mentioned Synergy before, and I'll bring it up again. It's got a ton of little tweaks here and there, but appears stock from a distance. It's very similar to Fresh ROM.

I've pretty much been waiting for Fresh but I'll take a look at Synergy. There is a Fresh in the works, but not ETA.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

I use my phone as a giant thumbnail drive to play video files on devices like my TV, PS3, etc.
That has nothing to do with a2sd. The FAT partition works as it normally should and the EXT partition is ignored as far as I know. I don't have a Mac or Linux box, but there's no reason that mounting your phone as attached storage would gently caress up an a2sd EXT partition that I've ever heard.

brc64 posted:

Could somebody with an EVO 4G running CM 7.1 with a 100% working Market (easy test I've found is searching for the Groupon app) post their ro.build.fingerprint from build.prop file? I've tried a couple of different Market fixes, but no matter, I'm still getting no results on searches on my phone for some apps, and "not supported" messages for them in the Web Market. The weird part is that if I uninstall the Market update and go back to the green one, everything is fine.
Are you still having the same issue on 3.1.3 Market?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

900ftjesus posted:

I've pretty much been waiting for Fresh but I'll take a look at Synergy. There is a Fresh in the works, but not ETA.

Be warned that their nighties routinely break poo poo to the point where I just moved to another rom.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Leathal posted:

Be warned that their nighties routinely break poo poo to the point where I just moved to another rom.
I haven't had any problems on the 2.3.4 based nightlies. I have been updating about once a day, with a nandroid every few days if I feel like it. Only wiping cache and dalvik between versions so far.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Is it likely that the most recent EVO3D OTA will be rootable at some point in the future, or is there a way to downgrade? I updated before thinking about it and would like to root. :(

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

sirbeefalot posted:

Is it likely that the most recent EVO3D OTA will be rootable at some point in the future, or is there a way to downgrade? I updated before thinking about it and would like to root. :(

The most recent EVO3D OTA lets you 'legally' root. You just have to jump thru a couple of hoops on the htcdev site, and I posted what I did to load roms a couple of pages back.

Basically you unlock your phone, then install an older CWM recovery, boot into that, do a backup, then you can boot into your OS and install the su package, rom manager, etc.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

godzirraRAWR posted:

The most recent EVO3D OTA lets you 'legally' root. You just have to jump thru a couple of hoops on the htcdev site, and I posted what I did to load roms a couple of pages back.

Basically you unlock your phone, then install an older CWM recovery, boot into that, do a backup, then you can boot into your OS and install the su package, rom manager, etc.

I was kind of hoping to avoid the official method if at all possible, just due to the whole "sign away your warranty MAYBE" text all over it. If I could keep it on the down low, that would be ideal. Otherwise I'm willing to keep it unrooted for now rather than do the official unlock. I'm sure I'm just being extra paranoid, but whatever.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I glanced through the past couple of pages but didn't find anything about this particular issue, so....

I have a rooted Nook Color that is no longer accepting Market installs for apps. The install button just plain ol' won't show up. I've tried the fix here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=16950565&postcount=16 to no avail. However on market.android.com I have a "new" device, a Samsung ICH-500...

So what gives?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

That has nothing to do with a2sd.

Speaking of a2sd, I got it set up on my N1 thanks to your help, so thanks!

Is it normal for my free internal memory to go down as I install apps? I mean, according to the A2SDGUI app, both the SD-EXT partition and the internal memory are getting used. When I first set it up I had like 170MB free internal, and now I'm down to 96MB. Several hundred MB of the 1GB SD-EXT partition are also used...

I guess I'm just ignorant about how Android sets up it's filesystem and what A2SD is actually doing...

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

Is it normal for my free internal memory to go down as I install apps?
Did you move dalvik-cache to the SD card too?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

sirbeefalot posted:

I was kind of hoping to avoid the official method if at all possible, just due to the whole "sign away your warranty MAYBE" text all over it.
The real problem with the official unlock is custom kernel compatibility at the moment.

Meanwhile, xda is acting like jackasses about this. Instead of fixing their poo poo to work with HTC's unlock, they're pissed at HTC for not giving them actual S-OFF, even though the difference is marginal, and berating folks for OTA updating without running revolutionary.io first. AlphaRev meanwhile is trying to hack the HBOOT 1.50.

Here's the part xda doesn't get: HTC gave you what you loving wanted, and you're spitting in their face. Constantly trying to hack for S-OFF is unproductive and unsustainable. Meanwhile devices factory devices will eventually ship with updates and you'll need to use HTC's method. Plus, folks are always going to run OTA upgrades without listening. They gave you what you wanted, at least support it. If you don't and just bitch about it, HTC might take it away. Which will seriously fucks xda in the future.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Are you still having the same issue on 3.1.3 Market?

According to Application Management, my Market version is 3.0.27. I guess I'll try manually downloading the latest update.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I had an uptime of 125 or so hours on my G2x running CM7 before it decided to reboot last night and haven't had a sleep death in a long time. (Battery and GPS still suck though, but I'm okay holding out till the Nexus Prime hits.)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm on a new Droid X2 running 2.3.3. I want to root it, but can't find any guides that indicate how to do this with the firmware I'm using now, they're all for the 2.2 firmware that I haven't had since the second day I had my phone. Is there a good guide for this anywhere? Thanks.

E: I should clarify that I don't want to have to roll back to 2.2 to do this, which I know is an option.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 26, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

brc64 posted:

According to Application Management, my Market version is 3.0.27. I guess I'll try manually downloading the latest update.

Nope, same problems, new face. Some apps (groupon, I know for sure) just don't show up at all when searching.

Then there's this gem. I manually search for Facebook, which I have installed. Market tells me there's an update, so I press Update:

http://tinyurl.com/3vjr496

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Did you move dalvik-cache to the SD card too?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm on a new Droid X2 running 2.3.3. I want to root it, but can't find any guides that indicate how to do this with the firmware I'm using now, they're all for the 2.2 firmware that I haven't had since the second day I had my phone. Is there a good guide for this anywhere? Thanks.

E: I should clarify that I don't want to have to roll back to 2.2 to do this, which I know is an option.

It's not just an option, it's the only way right now I believe.