Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

click for big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

snail vagine.

Your clown sure loves that leather/carpet/can't tell

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SaNChEzZ posted:

snail vagine.

Your clown sure loves that leather/carpet/can't tell

Clowns, that's a carpet. There's one that typically hides under it like a blanket. It's a very small "yellow" morph of a haddoni (really a very light green). There's a blue in the back there, making a ferocious comeback from when I got it weeks ago.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Looks pretty good. What kind of snail is that, a turbo? I can't have turbos because I think their feet look gross.. (see above if it is in fact a turbo)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Looks kind of like a Trochus snail to me. I have so many snails in my tank I honestly have trouble keeping track of who is who.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Oddly, I have Mexican turbos in that tank and trochus snails in the SPS tank. No cross-over.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm still very new to the hobby and it is kind of hard to tell what type of snail that is. Just looked very similar to some of mine and I do not have any Mexican Turbo Snails. Is anyone else's snails always mating? I always seem to have baby snails all over the place.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I think Mexican turbo snail feet are fairly unique in that they look like that with a line that bisects it. Not sure that any other commonly available snail looks like that from the underside. Maybe margaritas? Not sure.

Trochus snails usually have light/dark banded shells that are fairly obvious, and some species (Tiger trochus? gets kind of iffy to identify these things down that far) have a kind of a frill around their feet, in addition to banded flesh.

The most common reproducing beneficial snails in the average tank are stomatella, Euplica versicolor mini conchs, the banded trochus, and the collonista. It's relatively easy to get breeding populations of any of the first three, and collonistas are just too small to bother with and are probably everywhere to begin with. The others tend to have veligers that are too easily filtered out, or have a harder time finding food in that form.

I THINK I have Florida nassarius snails reproducing, but it's really hard to tell for sure since they're under the substrate all the time. I've seen them gathered up in great orgies, however, but haven't really seen them growing, as such.

Oh, and limpets. I have limpets in my big tank. They're the cool kind, not predatory or anything that I've seen.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
From further observation, I can note that my Mexican turbos' feet move forward alternating one at a time. That's kind of interesting.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

arioch posted:

From further observation, I can note that my Mexican turbos' feet move forward alternating one at a time. That's kind of interesting.

Every day I'm shufflin'.

I wish I could get my stomatellas to reproduce. I see them spawning all the time, which is super weird but never get any babies. Stomatellas are my favorite snails for sure. I just got 2 from my LFS, named them Speedy and The Flash :)

I didn't know there were different kinds of limpets, thought they were all generally the same. There must be 1000 of them in my 24 gallon. After the lights go out the whole tank turns into a limpet fest. The girlfriend calls them "boobie snails" after their appearance.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
I just had an explosion of stomatellas. I can't even clean the glass anymore unless I want to also scrape 20 little babies off. I'll leave them be for now but sooner or later I have to get back to cleaning.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
I work at a small public aquarium that also rescues critters from time to time. (You'd be amazed at how many terrible people ditch their hedgehogs/corn snakes/sugar gliders/bearded dragons/etc. upon moving or going to college!) We recently got this freaky dude in quarantine, and I've been trying to look up his species to no avail:

He's fully aquatic and probably the size of a baseball not including the decent-sized conch shell on his back. Is anyone here a hermit crab expert enough to pick him out of a lineup of 1100+ species? Every time I think I come close, the eyestalk color is all wrong or some other subtle feature is entirely off. And the more I look at this picture, the more I think this Cthulhu-Facehugger-AD&D reject monster is about to eat my soul. Those are the worst eyes I've ever seen on any living thing in my life. Either that or he wants to sell me Krabby Patties with those cute little eyelashes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The wife works at a LFS and they are a pretty low budget shop - little to no LED setups - mostly T5 HO and MH. She has been trying to get the owner to do a LED display tank and they found one of the pre-sale PFO Aquatics Solaris 24" LED setups that had been shelved because 'the ballast broke'.

She brought it home for me to mess with - turns out it appears to be a modified computer PSU. Hacked up one of my spare cheapo PSUs and got it to turn on just fine.

A little googling around tells me that it has Phillips K2 LEDs in it and that they often had issues with overheating and losing the LEDs. So I took it apart... no wonder they overheated. The LEDs are modular strips that have a tiny bit of thermal paste mating them to a heatsink... and then it has four 80mm fans, all of which are set to blow out - there is nothing drawing air in and there are no vents anywhere for air to enter. :psyduck:

Other than that, it's actually a really well thought out design, not something cheap... It even has a microcontroller with an RS232 port.

Too bad they got patent trolled. I can take pics if anyone is interested.

The wife has a 90g reef/octo tank with dual 250w MH... hoping this thing would work instead because the amount of power sucked down and heat generated is ridiculous. Kinda think it's too small of a fixture though, oh well. :( I switched two fans to draw in, redid the thermal paste, and will be cleaning up the psu I made a little bit.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 25, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

TunaSpleen posted:

At a quick guess, Petrochirus diogenes, a really common Caribbean hermit crab, typically featured up and down Florida coast in any number of touch aquariums for little kids to play with, alongside various starfish, cucumbers, and pencil urchins.

Will eat anything it can catch, including the original inhabitant of that conch shell.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thank you. All my searching for hermit crabs gave me the same thousand sites on the three species you find at the mall being sold as throwaway pets to uneducated teenage girls.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Fun thing to do: lift it up out of the water, it will extend itself out of the shell quite a bit, then snap back into the shell, with enough force to nearly jar the shell out of your hand if you weren't paying attention and had a loose grip.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
Looks like the ocellaris female in my 90g is pregnant! Hoping to see some eggs pretty soon!

What are the chances that these things will actually hatch in my display tank? I only have peaceful fish in there besides them (1 foxface rabbitfish, 1 pennant glider goby). I could feed them anything they need.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
It might not ever lay, though. Is she bulging in the stomach area? Has the ovipositor descended? Is she cleaning a surface and being extremely territorial? Is the male mature/ready?

The chances of clownfish larvae surviving the average display tank are infinitesimal. They cannot swim very well, they're apt to be filtered out by basically anything, and all corals are fond of them as a treat.

They need to constantly feed on rotifers until meta takes place. If they have to move too much to get to the next rotifer you're sunk.

Breeders who have clowns in display tanks and not dedicated tanks generally try to get the clowns to lay on a tile, then just switch the tile every time spawning takes place. The tiles are moved to dedicated growing tanks (probably a 2.5-5gal is sufficient per tile) with a bubbler (with the air turned down) with foam guards.

Edit:

I'm reasonably sure my pair of onyx percs are nearly ready. The female has been regularly fat for a while (it's a cycle) and her ovipositor is extended very often. The male was at least 6-12 months younger though, so probably wasn't mature. Now they're both probably ready, and I see them try to clean the rock their anemone is on sometimes.

I'm not really ready to try to grow the larvae out though. Mainly I figure my corals will get a good meal.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 26, 2011

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

arioch posted:

It might not ever lay, though. Is she bulging in the stomach area? Has the ovipositor descended? Is she cleaning a surface and being extremely territorial? Is the male mature/ready?

quote:

Yes. Yes. Kinda, yea. Yea. Both of them are at least 4 years old.

The chances of clownfish larvae surviving the average display tank are infinitesimal. They cannot swim very well, they're apt to be filtered out by basically anything, and all corals are fond of them as a treat.

They need to constantly feed on rotifers until meta takes place. If they have to move too much to get to the next rotifer you're sunk.

Breeders who have clowns in display tanks and not dedicated tanks generally try to get the clowns to lay on a tile, then just switch the tile every time spawning takes place. The tiles are moved to dedicated growing tanks (probably a 2.5-5gal is sufficient per tile) with a bubbler (with the air turned down) with foam guards.

Edit:

I'm reasonably sure my pair of onyx percs are nearly ready. The female has been regularly fat for a while (it's a cycle) and her ovipositor is extended very often. The male was at least 6-12 months younger though, so probably wasn't mature. Now they're both probably ready, and I see them try to clean the rock their anemone is on sometimes.

I'm not really ready to try to grow the larvae out though. Mainly I figure my corals will get a good meal.

I don't really have a dedicated tank. I have a 20g frag tank with a HOB filter and a powerhead, but nothing like that. I suppose I could try sometime in the future when I have the time to sit and feed them!

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Just got a couple red claws and a smaller female fiddler crab, our first pets together. They have basically the same needs, right? Habitat with a mix of land and brackish water; eat the same food; give them places to hide.

The first red claw (Strawberry Crabcake), got it last weekend, is totally inactive. We haven't even noticed it eat since the first time it chowed down a shrimp pellet. Mostly it just sits there. Hope it's ok.

Got the other two tonight. The second red claw (Crabnarok) has just been hiding a lot, and the fiddler (Jitters) is going bonkers traipsing all over the place. What has me worried it's mentally deficient is that it keeps popping grains of sand into its mouth and then I guess picking them back out. I corralled it toward the actual food and it took a few bites, but now it's back to the sand.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

arioch posted:

Fun thing to do: lift it up out of the water, it will extend itself out of the shell quite a bit, then snap back into the shell, with enough force to nearly jar the shell out of your hand if you weren't paying attention and had a loose grip.

Hahaha, the biggest thing this job's taught me is how to handle an animal so deliberately it stops fighting back after the third attempt. Paying attention comes with the territory of wrangling an armadillo, anteater, or Dumeril's boa. (Yes, we have non-fish too.) And I'm still wary about the other marine hermit crab that took a chunk out of my pinky the last time I showed him to a tour group. On the other hand, our horseshoe crab couldn't hurt a person if it tried.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Here's a short clip of the clown fairy wrasse I just got yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXCXvg7FnZM

He seems to get along with my clownfish pretty well, although my goby chases him off if he ever goes to the bottom of the tank.
e: this is right after he was added to the tank...shortly after this he started exploring the tank instead of hiding in the corner

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Well now I'm disturbed and feel lovely: both the red claw crabs died. The older one died the other day and the newer one today, with the same symptoms. Goes from being active and hiding to standing out in the open motionless, then its limbs fall off. The fiddler seems fine... and I don't think it had anything to do with the deaths. It's smaller than them, female, and never showed any aggression. Red claw-specific disease? Too dumb to find the food we dropped right in front of them?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Fiddler crabs are brackish, red claw crabs are freshwater, so if you had a brackish tank that could've done it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

poo poo, really? I couldn't find any consensus on salinity, but most sources said 100% fresh isn't good for them in the long term.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Saint Sputnik posted:

poo poo, really? I couldn't find any consensus on salinity, but most sources said 100% fresh isn't good for them in the long term.

I'm just going by what I read/heard from years ago. I never got around to setting up a crab tank. And now in my saltwater tanks, most crabs get fed to my mantis shrimp so I never care.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I wanted to share a picture of my decorator crabs to show how cool they are.

This one has decorated itself with pieces of Ulva.

And the other one, is...
Working on fragging this Zoanthid colony. :(

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Just an update on my 34g, since it's been almost a year since I've posted pictures of it. Most everything I drop into it seems to do pretty well with the exception of acans and poo poo that SHOULD grow crazy like pulsing xenia. I'm fine with a tank that can grow SPS without much dosing at all!

Full tank shot.

A closeup from the side. The mushrooms are growing like crazy - I'm going to have to take that rock out and frag some off eventually, but I'm not looking forward to it.

My Golden-headed Sleeper Goby. By himself, he can keep the sand sifted in my 90g. I plan to add some nassarius snails later, but for the time being he's doing a great job.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
So I've got quite the macroalgae problem. It's growing errywhere in my tank. What's the best way to get rid of it? More frequent water changes? More herbivorous fish? Different lighting?

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Anony Mouse posted:

So I've got quite the macroalgae problem. It's growing errywhere in my tank. What's the best way to get rid of it? More frequent water changes? More herbivorous fish? Different lighting?

What kind of macroalgae?

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know, really. It grows in thick clumps of hairs or strands, kind of like a green shag carpet. I'll take some pics tomorrow in the daylight.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Anony Mouse posted:

I don't know, really. It grows in thick clumps of hairs or strands, kind of like a green shag carpet. I'll take some pics tomorrow in the daylight.

Sounds like hair algae, a common problem. Not much eats it. You need to look into controlling nutrients. More skimming, less feeding, and phosphate remover are probably the first steps.

It's a bitch.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Trillian posted:

Sounds like hair algae, a common problem. Not much eats it. You need to look into controlling nutrients. More skimming, less feeding, and phosphate remover are probably the first steps.

It's a bitch.

Also, if nutrients aren't a problem and it's just staying how it is due to your lighting, you could dip rocks in 50/50 hydrogen peroxide/water mix.

Kill it in about 2 days.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Could be due to old bulbs that have shifted spectrum if it's a sudden issue in an established and otherwise healthy tank.

Somewhat related question, is there any reliable way to remove phosphates that doesn't involve an expensive reactor?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Elem7 posted:

Could be due to old bulbs that have shifted spectrum if it's a sudden issue in an established and otherwise healthy tank.

Somewhat related question, is there any reliable way to remove phosphates that doesn't involve an expensive reactor?

Chemi pure elite or phosban. They come in sacks just like carbon.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
If you're buying a couple months worth of that stuff you might as well just buy an "expensive" reactor.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Elem7 posted:

Macroalgae

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Macros aren't as good at removing phosphates as removing nitrates, generally. You usually need something a bit more hardcore to do phosphates really well.

It's actually pretty hard to get macros to outcompete hair algae for nutrients. Particularly bad is nutrients that's locked up in the rocks that's just slowly leaching out--which makes hair algae grows on your rockwork like crazy and your macroalgae growth will actually do poorly.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

What's the verdict? I've had my tank up for about 5 months now. I began with all "dead" rock except for some live stuff I got from someone else to seed it. I've been pulling the stuff out in clumps when it gets annoyingly large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emancipator
Mar 6, 2001
Get a sea hare. They'll tear through that stuff like a real lawnmower.

• Locked thread