Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
As annoying as Hexen 1 is, the PSX port adds lovely collision detection and removes half the monster animations (so the sprites always face forward regardless of the actual direction the monster is moving in), and it takes up an ENTIRE PS1 memory card. All 15 blocks of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I liked Hexen but I liked the level design. If you pay attention it's usually obvious where you should go next.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've never played Heretic or Hexen but I have them from that Super id Pack. So is the general feeling that Heretic holds up while Hexen is pretty rubbish?

And Hexen is the sequel to Heretic, right? I've always assumed this, but then the "Hexen II" title confused me.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Hexen is rad. There's a straight homebrew port of it for the DS by a cool guy who used to work for Raven in the Jedi Outcast days.

edit: Heretic is just wizard doom with an inventory. Hexen is a little bit deeper and is still cool and you have it anyway so just play it dummy! and yes Hexen is a sequel to Heretic, but it became a thing of its own. Kinda like Jedi Knight is Dark Forces 2 but Jedi Outcast is Jedi Knight 2.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Periodiko posted:

I liked Hexen but I liked the level design. If you pay attention it's usually obvious where you should go next.

No it's really not. Yes there's are rare switches that say A DOOR HAS OPENED ON THE GUARDIAN OF ICE but most of them should elicit Caleb's response of "Huh, what the hell did that do?"

And tired of all of the old id/Raven games I've been playing I switched over to Opposing Forces which I never played for some reason. It's so much loving better than all of those lovely Quake 2 expansions I've been trying to slog through.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Minidust posted:

And Hexen is the sequel to Heretic, right? I've always assumed this, but then the "Hexen II" title confused me.
Hexen is sort of a side-story to Heretic. There's a direct sequel, Heretic II, which continues the story of the player character, Corvus, whereas the Hexen games are about the battles against the second and third Serpent Riders.

Shadowborn
Jun 2, 2007

Ripe with radiation!

Periodiko posted:

The levels are mostly confusing as hell, but I can appreciate what Raven set out to do in some places. Many of the levels look really good, like the swamp map and the huge rear end castle hub you visit later in the game. The boss fights are pretty badass too. Korax makes a whole loving lot of noise and his death looks pretty spectacular.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Hexen is rad. There's a straight homebrew port of it for the DS by a cool guy who used to work for Raven in the Jedi Outcast days.

edit: Heretic is just wizard doom with an inventory. Hexen is a little bit deeper and is still cool and you have it anyway so just play it dummy! and yes Hexen is a sequel to Heretic, but it became a thing of its own. Kinda like Jedi Knight is Dark Forces 2 but Jedi Outcast is Jedi Knight 2.

Heretic is just Wizard Doom, which is to say that it's unoriginal but fun.

Hexen could have been rad except that every level is a maze of switches, ending in another switch which might, if you're lucky, tell you which level it affected.

Oh, and each class has four weapons, one of which is missable and the other three of which are doled out on a "one weapon per episode" basis, making getting through the mazes a monotonous slog as you fight the same enemies with the same weapon over and over and over again.

I appreciate Raven's ambition in trying to make a class-based shooter with hubbed levels and cross-level puzzles, but given that the classes are boring, the levels lovely, and the puzzles all boil down to "flip a switch, then search every other level for the door it opened", ambition is all this game has going for it.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Hexen is awesome and I had no trouble figuring it out when I was like, 14. It was also the first "j" source port I played and that was great as well. They really added a lot of really neat stuff to the engine like the hub structure, deforming maps (like the way the doors to the cathedral swing open at the start), breakable things, more advanced scripting, lots of neat items, etc. While I'd say Doom 2 is still my favourite Doom engine game, Hexen would be a pretty close second. The second hub is especially good.

I mean, I know a lot of the advancements to Hexen's engine don't look that impressive in the context of today's games, but back in the day having things like the hub structure or actions in one level affecting another was really drat cool.

Xythar fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 26, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Xythar posted:

I mean, I know a lot of the advancements to Hexen's engine don't look that impressive in the context of today's games, but back in the day having things like the hub structure or actions in one level affecting another was really drat cool.

Oh, I'll grant that it's impressive - if you somehow made it to 1995 without playing anything by Looking Glass, anyways - it just isn't fun.

(I contend that even if Hexen's level design was balls-to-the-wall amazing, it would still be a tedious and boring game because of the tiny weapon selection and glacial pace of weapon distribution)

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I assume you mean Ultima Underworld or System Shock? I don't remember if I played either of them before Hexen but I had trouble getting into them back in the day. Hexen was much easier to pick up for someone who'd spent a lot of time playing Doom already.

And hey, Hexen might have only let you carry four weapons but that's still twice as many as most modern FPSes :pseudo:

Xythar fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 26, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
How is Hexen 2? I remember being amazed by it in screenshots back in the day but never got a chance to play it. Maybe that'll be my next oldie.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

How is Hexen 2? I remember being amazed by it in screenshots back in the day but never got a chance to play it. Maybe that'll be my next oldie.

Also very good, though I'm not sure if I like it as much as the first or not. First hub is probably the least interesting (again) but stick with it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

^^ gently caress the Greek hub. Those archers that take ages to kill are obnoxious as hell.

Yodzilla posted:

Very similar to Hexen, in that's it's still 'class-based' and each class only has four weapons. However, there's a sort of level-up system, and each class gets two unique perks at levels 3 and 6. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but if you absolutely hated Hexen, you probably won't much like the sequel.

It does have some pretty rad bossfights, though.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Being honest and unbiased, Hexen 2 starts out strong and is actually a lot of fun. The level design is incredibly organic and open ended, the combat and enemy variation is much more engaging than Hexen, and the puzzles are typically less convoluted, although there are moments. The problem, however, is the deeper you progress into the game, the more everything that's good about it fades away. I've never made it much further than the first egypt levels because of how boxy and boring the maps become by that point. It's worth playing through the first chapter because it's legitimately fun, but you'd aught to know that it doesn't get any better afterwords, in fact it gets much worse.

e; So apparently the Egypt levels are about halfway through the game, so maybe I am a little biased. Truthfully, it's been years since I've played it and I was probably stoned as hell at the time anyway, so yeah, bias.

treat fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 26, 2011

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

I love Hexen but I will vouch that its weapons variety and monster variety are sub-par. Once again, Strife delivers (unless you wanted a complete fantasy theme and not cyberpunk in castles)

Also, I remember loving ground zero, but it's been maybe ten years or more since I last played it and i am the poster child for pain tolerance.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I've played Aeons of Death ever since I saw someone streaming it. Probably one of my favorite WADs by far, although I do like Brutal Doom as well. Sometimes I can't help but laugh when I walk into a room and hear a civilian from HL2 yelling "NO!" before I gib him with the crossbow from Strife.

The one thing I don't like about the newest version of AEoD is that the WTF and Nightmare difficulties are gone. On WTF difficulty enemies would respawn indefinitely and you could farm ammo/weapons from them. The Inhuman difficulty in the new version might be the same as that though.

Also, that ROTT WAD is amazing. I can't for the life of me get past the first map though. :smith:

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Yodzilla posted:

And tired of all of the old id/Raven games I've been playing I switched over to Opposing Forces which I never played for some reason. It's so much loving better than all of those lovely Quake 2 expansions I've been trying to slog through.

Opposing Force is amazing and rivals Half-Life in enemy and weapon design. I could do without the Voltigore labyrinth at the end, though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I was about to rag all over this but the more I watch the retarded enemy models and animations the more I realize how accurate they are to the stiffness of the originals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dX4bbh0yDI

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I always feel like 3D models lose a lot of the charm of the classic spritework.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
They definitely do. I've yet to see a good 2D to 3D conversion that I liked. All of the Doom and Blood and Duke 3D mods all look really terrible. I think it's probably something to do with matching the new models with the old 2D movement and animation style, it's hard to say.

So I gave Hexen 2 a shot and the vanilla game actually looks a lot better than I was expecting. It's got a great visual style and doesn't really look like any of the other Quake engine games of that era. With this texture mod installed it looks even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kls4D7CqMA0

That being said the combat is still really, really bad. There's no blocking or different swing types or knockbacks or stuns or anything so it boils down to taking cheap damage from ranged enemies and you spastically jump and circle strafe around them flailing wildly. If they made this game with some actually decent combat and real loot like a proper dungeon crawler I think it could be amazing.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

The warrior dude's second weapon has knockback I'm pretty sure. I swore by that thing in Hexen 2.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Holy gently caress. I think I posted about my "hardcore mode" run of Doom and Doom 2. If I die, I start all over.

I just finished Tricks and Traps. I don't think I can go on restarting every time I die anymore. I'm not good enough. Holy poo poo, you have no idea how heartbreaking it is to play through the whole game like 5 times to beat Dead Simple, feel good about yourself for making it through most of a map in one shot, and then open a door to reveal a huge clusterfuck of hell barons and a cyberdemon. Yeah, no way am I restarting every time I die to that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Xythar posted:

The warrior dude's second weapon has knockback I'm pretty sure. I swore by that thing in Hexen 2.

Oh? I've only tried Assassin and Necromancer which seem to be exactly the same but with different looking weapons.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I pretty much only played as warrior/paladin/whatever in the Hexen series because they're the best classes for holding their own at close quarters and there's a lot of close quarters combat in those games.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Holy what. I just found the strangest glitches in Hexen 2. If you duck while you're underwater you'll be stuck in reverse-duck mode where pressing the crouch button makes you stand up until it's released. The only way to fix this is to restart the level completely as it persists after loading a save.

And speaking of saves, no matter what class I choose after I load a saved game I apparently become a Paladin. For example if I save a game as a Necromancer and have the tome weapon out, when I load the save I can use the tome but then when I switch weapons I go to the Paladin's fist and sword and can't get back to anything Necromancer related.

What a weird game.

Madguy
Feb 6, 2005
Has anyone played Strife lately? Last time I played through it was about 15 years ago, so I'm curious how it holds up.

I bought it for $10 a few months after it came out, so I'm guessing it didn't sell too well back in the day. I remember the magazine ads for the game actually featured review scores of "82%" from PC Gamer and "3 out of 5" from Computer Gaming World. I probably remember that tidbit because I was so baffled that they'd actually include scores that low in an advertisement..

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I played through it for the first time about a year ago and had a blast. Strife still holds up really well despite some samey, mazey level design that every game of that era had. Far less than most though.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Madguy posted:

Has anyone played Strife lately? Last time I played through it was about 15 years ago, so I'm curious how it holds up.

I bought it for $10 a few months after it came out, so I'm guessing it didn't sell too well back in the day. I remember the magazine ads for the game actually featured review scores of "82%" from PC Gamer and "3 out of 5" from Computer Gaming World. I probably remember that tidbit because I was so baffled that they'd actually include scores that low in an advertisement..

Strife is still awesome. I can't recommend it enough. It's a loving pain in the rear end on UV though, those giant robots near the end with the obnoxious bouncing noise will ruin your day.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
Let's talk about games you played as a kid or whatever that no one else has ever heard of because they have no redeeming qualities.

I'll go first.

Fortress of Dr. Radiaki: a confusing, awful game which seemed to have "Killer Instinct" style graphics, no discernable plot or reason for the levels except "kill this guy." I don't know much because the game was so bad that I couldn't even play it as a 10-12 year old, so it must have been REALLY bad.

Honorable mention: Isle of the Dead - wolfenstein engine? Looked like it anyway. One repeated texture of "trees on beach" and every now and then a zombie would pop out and you could either shoot it or die. I died, and never played it again. I bought this game because the cover had a zombie eating a part of a person and I thought it'd be cool and gory.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Platypus Farm posted:

Honorable mention: Isle of the Dead - wolfenstein engine? Looked like it anyway. One repeated texture of "trees on beach" and every now and then a zombie would pop out and you could either shoot it or die. I died, and never played it again. I bought this game because the cover had a zombie eating a part of a person and I thought it'd be cool and gory.

Is that the one where it starts with a plane crash and you have to do stuff like use a machete to hack through a wall of vines in the first area? I always died the moment the zombie showed up. Could never remember the name of that game, either (which is especially funny because I immediately thought of it when I read the first sentence of your post, then read the rest of the post and thought OHHH)

Did anyone else play Ken's Labyrinth? I have no idea why I played that game so much. Probably the music. And yeah, I know it was made by the guy who invented the Build engine back when he was like 17 or something.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

...a huge clusterfuck of hell barons and a cyberdemon. Yeah, no way am I restarting every time I die to that.

In all fairness, you shouldn't be fighting those creatures. You should poke in, get the attention of the Cyberdemon so that it fires on the Barons and then clean up the leftovers.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Platypus Farm posted:

I think I remember this one. Wasn't the armor in the game a raincoat?

Did anyone ever play Shadow Caster?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlfYkMul6ZA

This one reminds me of the AD&D first person dungeon crawlers done by SSI. I bought a collection of them back in the day. I think I still have them.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Xythar posted:

Is that the one where it starts with a plane crash and you have to do stuff like use a machete to hack through a wall of vines in the first area? I always died the moment the zombie showed up. Could never remember the name of that game, either (which is especially funny because I immediately thought of it when I read the first sentence of your post, then read the rest of the post and thought OHHH)

You have yourself a memory of Isle of the Dead!

Also, I'm not sure if the armor was raincoats because I never got past the first enemy. A little like dad playing Super Mario Bros and just running headlong into that first Goomba over and over.

I've been trying to find all this old garbage lately to see if it was really as hard/awful/bad as I remember, or if they were just pretty bog-standard shooters and I was just lovely at videogames. It has proven impossible though because they were so forgettable that not even an internet person has decided to fixate on them, which surprises me a little bit.

Radiaki at least had some cool enemies that I remember. Something like a robot frog, and augmented cyborg guard things. Also some weird weapons like a multibarreled shotgun. That might be something I drew in 5th grade though and just thought it was in that game, to be honest.

Platypus Farm fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Aug 26, 2011

Shadowborn
Jun 2, 2007

Ripe with radiation!
I'd almost forgotten about Isle of the Dead. It was a rather weird game.

They tried to bolt a point-and-click adventure onto a shooter, which could've been cool if the execution wasn't so poor. There is such a disconnect between the shooter parts and the adventure parts that it feels like you're alt-tabbing between two separate games. One moment you're out in the jungle blasting zombie kids who call you "daddy" and the next you're talking about tabloids with the native chieftain. I think that sentence pretty much sums up how bizarre the game and especially the story is. It's probably one of the goriest games of that generation. Almost every death has its own little animation - getting ripped apart by zombies, electrocuted by a fence, decapitated by traps, you name it.

Now that I typed this down I feel like tracking it down and playing through it. I never finished it back in the day since it's also pretty drat hard.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In all fairness, you shouldn't be fighting those creatures. You should poke in, get the attention of the Cyberdemon so that it fires on the Barons and then clean up the leftovers.
A better strategy for that map is to clear out the Cacodemon room to the north, hit the switches, head to the north-west room with the demons on the high ledge, clear THAT out, then go get the BFG from the secret area. Then return to the Baron+Cyberdemon room, grab an invulnerability powerup and go hog wild :toot:

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3nh27bRXYQ

Gotta love that quality seashore effect. Also the 'quit game' cutscene.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The animated segments in that are amazing.

One game I remember seeing everywhere but never played was Killing Time. The graphics are so unique that I might just have to give it a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8YUDutgtgw

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Holy gently caress. I think I posted about my "hardcore mode" run of Doom and Doom 2. If I die, I start all over.

I just finished Tricks and Traps. I don't think I can go on restarting every time I die anymore. I'm not good enough. Holy poo poo, you have no idea how heartbreaking it is to play through the whole game like 5 times to beat Dead Simple, feel good about yourself for making it through most of a map in one shot, and then open a door to reveal a huge clusterfuck of hell barons and a cyberdemon. Yeah, no way am I restarting every time I die to that.

Split the difference and only restart each level from a save at the start whenever you die? I did that once for Tomb Raider, instead of saving after every tricky jump, and it got intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

The animated segments in that are amazing.

One game I remember seeing everywhere but never played was Killing Time. The graphics are so unique that I might just have to give it a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8YUDutgtgw

Killing Time's actually not a bad game. I played it on 3d0 way back in the day and the framerate was abysmal but the huge variety of weapons and monsters made it a lot of fun!