Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whack
Feb 14, 2008
Why did iTunes stop automatically uploading songs into my Touch when I plug it in? How do I fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sixdeadpandas
Jan 15, 2011
Can anyone tell me how to open a 2nd generation touch? The tutorials I've seen were pretty vague about how to not snap the screen in half

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

I play my iPod Touch through a usb connection to my car stereo. Recently, my car stereo has not been allowing me to search for artists, songs, etc. I took a look at my music on the device and found that for some reason all of my albums, songs and artists are listed under the letter A header, so I'm assuming these issues are interrelated. What happened?

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
So we should be expecting the annual iPod conference soon right? I can't rememeber how long prior to the event they announced it last year. It'll be nice to know whether it's worth selling my 4th gen for an upgrade!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Idioteque Dance posted:

So we should be expecting the annual iPod conference soon right? I can't rememeber how long prior to the event they announced it last year. It'll be nice to know whether it's worth selling my 4th gen for an upgrade!
It's weird, now that they pushed the iPhone conference back, I don't know if we'll see a new iPod touch for a while. To my knowledge, they've never been announced at the same time. Probably cuts down on cannibalizing their own sales since they're almost the same device except for the phone part and camera quality.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
According to wikipedia, all the touches have been announced near the start of September (9th september specifically for 3 years running). These have all been in specific iPod/iTunes conferences to announce the new touches, nanos, classics, etc which is why the iPhone isn't involved. I hope something is coming up on schedule, I'd like to see what they've been working on.

One thing I'd like to see is replacing some of the black borders around the screen with a bigger screen (maybe further in the future, the whole front side of the device will just be a screen). The only problem it presents is that if they upped the resolution, it would be a developer's nightmare (having to make HD/retina app updates yet again) and if they kept the same resolution on a bigger screen, they wouldn't be able to sell it as a "retina display" anymore. I'd be happy with the latter though.

Horseticuffs
Oct 8, 2001

I remember halloween.
I don't know, guys. I've read so many dire predictions on forums and rumor sites that Apple will kill off the Touch and just lower the price of unlocked iPhones and I sure as hell hope that they are full of crap.

My Touch is my all-in-one entertainment device. All day long I'm listening to podcasts, playing games, and surfing the web on it. It is my favorite possession. That being said, I bought a Touch and not an iPhone on purpose because I'll be damned if I'm going to pay such crazy monthly fees for a phone. I really hope Apple doesn't just get rid of the Touch, as they'll be pricing me right out of their products :(

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
I have the Tomtom car kit, so the only thing that I would want from a new Touch is a decent camera on the back. That's the only thing I was disappointed by.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Horseticuffs posted:

I don't know, guys. I've read so many dire predictions on forums and rumor sites that Apple will kill off the Touch and just lower the price of unlocked iPhones and I sure as hell hope that they are full of crap.

My Touch is my all-in-one entertainment device. All day long I'm listening to podcasts, playing games, and surfing the web on it. It is my favorite possession. That being said, I bought a Touch and not an iPhone on purpose because I'll be damned if I'm going to pay such crazy monthly fees for a phone. I really hope Apple doesn't just get rid of the Touch, as they'll be pricing me right out of their products :(

They've sold over 60 million of the things since launching them. They'd have to be daft to kill them off, for exactly the reason you said.

Key Sounds
Aug 20, 2011
Few questions here.

I recently bought a used iPod touch 1st gen from a school friend. Its used and sort of abused. The home and lock key are messed up and a few bad pixels on the screen. To top it off, the battery seems to waste fast and doesn't really charge well..I have to move it now and then to get a proper charge.

So my question is: can all these be fixed, or should I just get a new ipod, and which Gen?

Thanks.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Key Sounds posted:

Few questions here.

I recently bought a used iPod touch 1st gen from a school friend. Its used and sort of abused. The home and lock key are messed up and a few bad pixels on the screen. To top it off, the battery seems to waste fast and doesn't really charge well..I have to move it now and then to get a proper charge.

So my question is: can all these be fixed, or should I just get a new ipod, and which Gen?

Thanks.

That iPod is too old to be worth fixing. It can't run any version of iOS higher than 3.1.3 and most recent apps won't run well or at all on it. At minimum you'll want a 3rd-gen, but the 4th-gen models have a lot of improvements like cameras and a higher-res display.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
^ But wait about a month, as we'll probably find out there's going to be a new one which would either let you get the 5th gen or make the 4th cheaper for you.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I've tried looking around and couldn't really find a satisfactory answer to this, but...is there a good way to remove the drm/copy protection/whatever from m4v videos?

I bought some tv shows from the itunes store for my 32GB Touch and I'd like to convert them to avi and slap them on a dvd so I can watch them with my dad. But the software I use to do the conversion is saying that it's copy-protected. I tried adding the videos to a playlist and using the "burn" option from the file menu, but my dvd player doesn't recognize the disk when I put it in.

I did a bit of googling and most of the advice from the results require some sort of software. I don't mind paying for a program that will do it (within reason), but I don't know what's good and what's bad. Any suggestions?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really want to replace my 2nd gen iPod Touch, just holding off to see if the 5th generation actually happens this year or not. :f5: Maybe they will just release it, without saying anything? I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

I said come in! posted:

I really want to replace my 2nd gen iPod Touch, just holding off to see if the 5th generation actually happens this year or not. :f5: Maybe they will just release it, without saying anything? I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

They haven't even announced the iPhone 5 yet and probably won't until October. It'll be several months yet before we see a fifth-gen touch.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

moms pubis posted:

They haven't even announced the iPhone 5 yet and probably won't until October. It'll be several months yet before we see a fifth-gen touch.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but that's historically how it has worked, right? I don't follow the iphone.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

I said come in! posted:

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but that's historically how it has worked, right? I don't follow the iphone.

In the past they've announced the iPhone in June and the corresponding iPod touch in September. The rumor mill is pointing at an October release for the iPhone 5, so assuming they maintain a similar gap between releases we'll see the new touch early next year.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I just did an online survey and they mentioned an ipod3d

What the gently caress is that?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

TLG James posted:

Was it like "would you buy an iPod 3D?"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TLG James posted:

Something that doesn't exist.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

sirbeefalot posted:

Was it like "would you buy an iPod 3D?"

No. It asked if I owned a bunch of devices. One was an Ipod3d. It even had a little ipod touch looking thing with a soccer ball flying out of the device in a 3d effect. Google tells me that it's weird that a marketing company would make up a device.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TLG James posted:

No. It asked if I owned a bunch of devices. One was an Ipod3d. It even had a little ipod touch looking thing with a soccer ball flying out of the device in a 3d effect. Google tells me that it's weird that a marketing company would make up a device.

Can you be more specific? Where did you see this survey? I get spam e-mails all the time asking me to take surveys and to give away my personal information so I can be sent a product to "test" that isn't actually real. They are all scams of course.

[edit]
I see where you found this now; http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/21/market-research-survey-references-ipod3d/ It's probably a scam and I would just ignore it. I hope you didn't give away and personal information.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 13, 2011

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It isn't a scam. They survey wasn't even about the ipod3d. It just asked if you owned a shitload of crap from psps to internet tvs.

I said come in! posted:

Can you be more specific? Where did you see this survey? I get spam e-mails all the time asking me to take surveys and to give away my personal information so I can be sent a product to "test" that isn't actually real. They are all scams of course.

Check out the thread in coupons for surveys.

There are a lot of companies out there (legit) that'll pay you money for doing surveys and sometimes they send you samples of crap to try out. I've had food, soda, and razors shipped to me.

When I say money, I'm talking about 1 dollar for maybe 10-15 minutes of answering questions. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I did an android based survey a few weeks ago involving an app that bugged you to answer questions a few times a week and I ended up getting 40 bucks out of it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TLG James posted:

Check out the thread in coupons for surveys.

There are a lot of companies out there (legit) that'll pay you money for doing surveys and sometimes they send you samples of crap to try out. I've had food, soda, and razors shipped to me.

When I say money, I'm talking about 1 dollar for maybe 10-15 minutes of answering questions. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I did an android based survey a few weeks ago involving an app that bugged you to answer questions a few times a week and I ended up getting 40 bucks out of it.

Dang, not bad! You made out better then I did when I tried those. A goon friend recommended I give those surveys a try, a few years ago, and I filled out a few dozen surveys and never got a single thing out of it. :/ That isn't why I felt like it was a scam though, just I was remembering back more to all of the e-mails I would get, and those are all bad.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
For surveys sometimes they put fake items on lists, and then if you select them they know you are just clicking away to get your money because you are not reading the questions. I'm sure if you said you owned an iPod3D they would have DQed you.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
This iPod 3d business made me wonder, are there any apps that use facetracking to make stuff look like 3d? I guess this would have to be for iphone though, and this is the wrong place to ask.

Something like this:
http://gizmodo.com/5481451/nintendo-dsi-uses-camera-face-tracking-to-create-3d-mirages

Er, yes, yes there are. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/i3d/id434844658?mt=8

Ninja Toast! fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 18, 2011

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Yeah its just a tech demonstrator though, I haven't seen anything actually take advantage of it for a real application.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
That's ok, it does a really terrible job of it.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Is there any way to add a song that's currently playing to a playlist? Or do I have to go back to playlists, edit the playlist, find the song, then add it?

I can't seem to find a way to do it and it's the one thing that makes me mad at my ipod.

example: I often play my whole library on shuffle and a song will come on that I want to add to a certain playlist (chill music, party songs, whatever) but the only way I can find is to dig through a bunch of menus which then make me dig through my whole music library just to add one song to a playlist.

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 21, 2011

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I agree, setting up a playlist is way more annoying than it ought to be, and is pretty out of character considering how user friendly the rest of the OS is. Even on iPod classics you can hold down the select button on a song to instantly add it to a playlist, but on iOS there are no actions or context menus or anything when you hold down on a song. Bit of a wasted opportunity there.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Does anyone know if an older version of the Nike+ sensor will work with the current generation of Nano? I believe I got the sensor back when I still had a Touch 3g.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

E2M2 posted:

Does anyone know if an older version of the Nike+ sensor will work with the current generation of Nano? I believe I got the sensor back when I still had a Touch 3g.

I have a 3g and sensor from then too, but as far as i know they only have one sensor. Nanos need an adapter that you plug into it, unless that's changed with the new ones.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Okay I've been out of the loop since I got a defective 3G Touch and returned it, I'm looking at maybe getting another now that there's a camera and other jazz, and I'm unclear, are they still built so that the 8GB models have cut-down system specs compared to the 32GB and up?

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I'm sure they are all the same. The cameras are nice but the high-resolution display is by far the defining feature of the device (in terms of upgrades from 3rd gen). Looks incredible.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Alright, I have an iPod classic (non touch) but since there's no thread for those I figured I'd ask here.

I plugged my iPod into cable here at work so it could charge, but I didn't realize it was plugged into a PC, so it went through the whole eject before disconnecting thing and is now stuck at that screen. Now this PC doesn't have a monitor (don't ask why, I have no idea either). Short of getting a monitor to this station and safely removing hardware, is there a way to initiate an eject on the iPod itself?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Lord of Laughton posted:

Alright, I have an iPod classic (non touch) but since there's no thread for those I figured I'd ask here.

I plugged my iPod into cable here at work so it could charge, but I didn't realize it was plugged into a PC, so it went through the whole eject before disconnecting thing and is now stuck at that screen. Now this PC doesn't have a monitor (don't ask why, I have no idea either). Short of getting a monitor to this station and safely removing hardware, is there a way to initiate an eject on the iPod itself?
I would just unplug it. The only way anything will be hosed up is if that computer is actively writing data to the ipod and an incomplete write operation corrupts the file system, but that computer is presumably not doing that.

edit: Even apple says, if you can hear that the hard drive isn't spinning, go ahead and unplug it.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Thanks, good to know.. I'd still like the thing to charge though, is it charging while sitting at the 'Eject before disconnecting' screen?

edit: Never mind. I just went to check and it has. Thanks again

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Hey I lost my Ipod touch and never got a chance to install any tracker app. Is there anyway to find this thing if it connects to wifi or am I SOL?

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

SilkyP posted:

Hey I lost my Ipod touch and never got a chance to install any tracker app. Is there anyway to find this thing if it connects to wifi or am I SOL?
You are pretty much hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Okay I've been out of the loop since I got a defective 3G Touch and returned it, I'm looking at maybe getting another now that there's a camera and other jazz, and I'm unclear, are they still built so that the 8GB models have cut-down system specs compared to the 32GB and up?
Not directly answering your question, but wait until after the apple event next week there may or may not be a new iPod released but either way any new ones will ship with iOS 5 and there will likely be a glut of second hand ones as people look to upgrade, especially if there is a cheap iPhone released.

• Locked thread