Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

ColonelDimak posted:

Didn't a report come out a few years after 9/11 that suggested that most Americans are more afraid of dying now vs during the cold war?
Something to do with the perceived instability and lack of clearly defined "sides" in the post 9/11 era vs the relative perceived stability of the USA vs USSR of the cold war.

I think the lack of the Mutually Assured Destruction as a deterrent makes the situation a little less predictable and more unnerving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

vxskud posted:

I think the lack of the Mutually Assured Destruction as a deterrent makes the situation a little less predictable and more unnerving.

But that was a known unknown... :suicide: that phrase is terrible

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

jojoinnit posted:

I was taken to my first baseball game recently. During the seventh inning break everyone suddenly stood up, hand over heart and said the pledge of allegiance (I think that's what it was, it might have been America the Beautiful or summat). Then I got called out for being weird for asking the person I was with, why during a sports game we all had to display some strange joint nationalism.

It was most likely God Bless America. Which is even more creepy than the Pledge of Allegiance.

We have A LOT of Patriotic songs. Many of them with stolen melodies.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It was most likely God Bless America. Which is even more creepy than the Pledge of Allegiance.

We have A LOT of Patriotic songs. Many of them with stolen melodies.
Yes! That was it. They felt the need to tell me that I just didn't understand patriotism because I'm English, and furthermore the people in front acted like I just didn't like it because I must be personally offended, y'know, cause of the revolutionary war.

It just seemed so freaky to me that thousands of people at a sports game were basically compelled into praising the state. I think my mistake was using the forced patriotism of communist countries as an example of how it felt to me.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
They unironically believe that it's okay for us to do it because we're the "good guys."

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

Yes! That was it. They felt the need to tell me that I just didn't understand patriotism because I'm English, and furthermore the people in front acted like I just didn't like it because I must be personally offended, y'know, cause of the revolutionary war.

It just seemed so freaky to me that thousands of people at a sports game were basically compelled into praising the state. I think my mistake was using the forced patriotism of communist countries as an example of how it felt to me.

In the swim league I was in as a kid, they had everyone sing the national anthem before it started. Up until right this second I hadn't thought about how weird that is.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Defenestration posted:

just saw this on facebook

Any links? Snopes doesn't have it yet.

Yeah, I saw that one too and did some checking. It's actually true. Bloomberg said there wasn't room for the first responders, because it would be about the victims. To which I say, spend one of your billion dollar bills and buy some loving stadium bleachers. If there's not room, have a crane suspend a skybox over the whole thing. It is loving madness to put out a statement that first responders are specifically not invited. (They were never really invited at previous anniversaries, but they were welcome.)

See? I got a chain message, I verified that it was true, and then I got furious. That's how it's done!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

XyloJW posted:

Yeah, I saw that one too and did some checking. It's actually true. Bloomberg said there wasn't room for the first responders, because it would be about the victims. To which I say, spend one of your billion dollar bills and buy some loving stadium bleachers. If there's not room, have a crane suspend a skybox over the whole thing. It is loving madness to put out a statement that first responders are specifically not invited. (They were never really invited at previous anniversaries, but they were welcome.)

See? I got a chain message, I verified that it was true, and then I got furious. That's how it's done!

Yeah, I did the same thing. This seems like a justifiable thing to be annoyed about. Although I am NOT looking forward to all the 9/11 anniversary poo poo coming up, holy god.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pfirti86 posted:

Why? Less commercialization? The East Germans?
Blatant steroid use?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Amarkov posted:

In the swim league I was in as a kid, they had everyone sing the national anthem before it started. Up until right this second I hadn't thought about how weird that is.

National Anthem before sports events is less weird. I've seen that in quite a few countries.

Course those tend to be INTERNATIONAL ones, since it's 2 countries "against" each other but I guess it rubs off?

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

National Anthem before sports events is less weird. I've seen that in quite a few countries.

Course those tend to be INTERNATIONAL ones, since it's 2 countries "against" each other but I guess it rubs off?

Sporting events in general is at least commonish. But we were hearing the national anthem right before watching some six year olds attempt to do something resembling the correct stroke forms, that's quite a few levels of rubbing off from professional interstate competition.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

vxskud posted:

My favorite part about the pledge of allegiance is that it was instituted by people who seemed to believe that communists were some sort of vampire like creatures that would burst into flames at the very mention of the word God.
The pledge didn't always have "under God," they added that in the 50s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pledge_of_allegiance#Addition_of_the_words_.22under_God.22

For my part, I always felt terrible for oppressed minorities. "Hey negro kids! You can't go to a nice school, but you'd better drat well start your day by talking about 'Justice for All!' or else you're a commie!" :mad:

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

jojoinnit posted:

God Bless America only became a common part of the seventh inning stretch after 9/11. It really used to be just about baseball, I promise.

Not that that makes it better...

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

CellBlock posted:

God Bless America only became a common part of the seventh inning stretch after 9/11. It really used to be just about baseball, I promise.

Not that that makes it better...

I don't recall either the Giants or A's doing it during their stretches.

ultimatemike
May 10, 2005

Little Joe? Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
I got this beauty today from my cousin with the subject line "It is coming...". Yes, apparently someone cut out the newspaper article, wrote on a piece of paper, scanned it in and then emailed it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah that news story seems 100% legit. What loving rag would even publish that? Don't Canadian police consider blowing bubble near them assault and beat them to death?

ultimatemike
May 10, 2005

Little Joe? Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah that news story seems 100% legit. What loving rag would even publish that? Don't Canadian police consider blowing bubble near them assault and beat them to death?

It's the Sun so it's basically Fox News and the National Enquirer wrapped up into one poo poo sandwich.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

JerkyBunion posted:

They're confusing "prayer in school" with school sponsored prayer. I also generally find it satisfying to quote this biblical passage (even using the KJV):
I swear that's the #1 most ignored passage in the entire Bible (at least in modern day America).

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Zero_Grade posted:

I swear that's the #1 most ignored passage in the entire Bible (at least in modern day America).

Certainly the most significant one that is ignored. Nowadays you're not a good Christian unless you're showing it off 24/7. And if you're in politics you're expected to make an even bigger stink about what church you go to. Despite the fact that such things should be done privately. Well, according to Jesus anyways, but really... who cares what he thinks?

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Sarion posted:

Certainly the most significant one that is ignored. Nowadays you're not a good Christian unless you're showing it off 24/7. And if you're in politics you're expected to make an even bigger stink about what church you go to. Despite the fact that such things should be done privately. Well, according to Jesus anyways, but really... who cares what he thinks?

Ironically, the last sentence is a demonstrated tendency. Ignoring what Jesus said to go focus on Paul's epistles is a storied tradition in American fundamentalism.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Paul's story honestly reminds me a lot of Christian fundamentalists; from the stand point of not being a believer, then having a (literal) see the light moment, to becoming overly preachy about their new found faith.

It may not really apply to people who were raised fundamentalist, but other converts seem to follow something similar. I don't really think I've ever heard someone go from being an Atheist to being a liberal Methodist.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Converts by nature, to any religion, tend to be much more serious about their chosen path. They chose it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

jojoinnit posted:

drat. When I went to visit London with my high school class I remember commenting to my friend how all English people must have really bad memories. Because obviously they constantly forget what country they are in which is why they have to have their flag hanging all over the drat place.

And we didn't go during any kind of special event either. London and its flags was already profoundly noticable and weird to us, and the US is clearly worse by at least an order of magnitude.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

drat. When I went to visit London with my high school class I remember commenting to my friend how all English people must have really bad memories. Because obviously they constantly forget what country they are in which is why they have to have their flag hanging all over the drat place.

And we didn't go during any kind of special event either. London and its flags was already profoundly noticable and weird to us, and the US is clearly worse by at least an order of magnitude.

I wouldn't say it's common for people to fly a flag in front of their house, but it isn't worthy of comment when it happens. Does that just not happen in other countries?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Amarkov posted:

I wouldn't say it's common for people to fly a flag in front of their house, but it isn't worthy of comment when it happens. Does that just not happen in other countries?

People treat their flags very differently from country to country. I know the French are a lot more formal and strict about where and how it can be displayed, as is Germany, I think.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Why uberpatriotism would be taboo in Germany I don't know.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
^^^

Yeah if you fly a flag in Germany if there is no special occasion people pretty much assume you are a Nazi. It's starting to change a little bit, but it's still generally not done.

Amarkov posted:

No. We get like maybe 1 or 2 dozen flags on Queens Day (the most flaggy day of the year) in our entire street (hundreds of houses). This is in the Netherlands. When the people moving in a couple houses down from my parents decided they wanted to fly the flag, they even consulted with my mother (a police officer) about the flag code and what the rules are and consequences of violation or whatever. My mom had to dig around to give them info, because it's not really something that ever comes up. Either way, it didn't take very long for them to also restrict hanging out the flag for special occassions only.

Year round there was a flag at the public high school I went to and I'm not sure if the other two had one (although they weren't public) and one at the old police station. The second station (now closed) didn't have one and the new station just has a police flag (a flag with the police logo). The town hall might have one although I certainly don't remember it and it's not visible from google street view. The military base (Commandos) obviously has one, but it's also not really visible from outside. This is a city of 70,000.

There's more flags during a soccer world or european championship than at any other time, hands down. Both in Germany and the Netherlands.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 26, 2011

Captain Filth
May 7, 2007
This seems to be starting to show up on facebook. It seems to have a lot of the hallmarks of a foward. When I google it all I can find is people reposting the exact same thing.

"In the past 72 hours Israeli cities (Not military camps, cities!) have been bombarded by over 84 rockets, killing a number of civilians and forcing one million Israelis into bomb shelters throughout southern Israel. This has not reached the news at all. No mention of this is on CNN, BBC or SKY. If you condemn targeting missiles on civilians including children, please put this message on your status. Wherever I stand, I stand with Israel"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Captain Filth posted:

This seems to be starting to show up on facebook. It seems to have a lot of the hallmarks of a foward. When I google it all I can find is people reposting the exact same thing.

"In the past 72 hours Israeli cities (Not military camps, cities!) have been bombarded by over 84 rockets, killing a number of civilians and forcing one million Israelis into bomb shelters throughout southern Israel. This has not reached the news at all. No mention of this is on CNN, BBC or SKY. If you condemn targeting missiles on civilians including children, please put this message on your status. Wherever I stand, I stand with Israel"

Does anyone have that political comic with the Palestinians shooting over 1 small missile and the Israelis then nuking them?

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Captain Filth posted:

Just link them - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Palestinian_rocket_attacks_on_Israel,_2011 and maybe http://www.ifamericansknew.org/

On the other hand act extremely concerned and ask them where that heard about it from since you can't find any source for it.

Z-Magic fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 27, 2011

Captain Filth
May 7, 2007

Z-Magic posted:

Just link them - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Palestinian_rocket_attacks_on_Israel,_2011 and maybe http://www.ifamericansknew.org/

On the other hand act extremely concerned and ask them where that heard about it from since you can't find any source for it.

Their post said something about getting it from a relative in Israel

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

They won't care about either. The lamestream media isn't reporting it, so it wouldn't be on wikipedia either! Also this:

If Americans Knew posted:

Israel currently has 236 Jewish-only settlements and ‘outposts’ built on confiscated Palestinian land. Palestinians do not have any settlements on Israeli land.

Is a lie. It's all Israeli land!

Also, jokes aside...

If Americans Knew posted:

The Israeli unemployment rate is 6.4%, while the Palestinian unemployment in the West Bank is 16.5% and 40% in Gaza.

This is probably the most telling statistic. If unemployment in the West Bank and Gaza Strip were closer to 7%, I suspect attacks by Palestinians would see a noticeable drop.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
God knows I love my mother, and she even sees eye-to-eye with me on a lot of political issues, but I guess there are times where our differences surface. Like, say, just now.

She, her friend, and I were having dinner and the conversation turned political. I didn't think much of it until they started railing on illegal immigrants. Cue my mom mention all the illegals she's known who drive better cars than her, get healthcare at the free clinic, and pay no taxes - all because they had a baby in the US. The topic soon drifted to the families they knew who lived opulently on welfare for generations at a time because the kids aren't brought up to value work or education. Then they began brainstorming "solutions" like forcing people to sweep the hospital floors, or clean kennels at the humane society, or some other drudgery, before they can claim welfare benefits. At that point, I just interrupted them by saying, "Want me to take the dishes to the kitchen?" and excused myself.

It's fairly tame compared to what's been posted in this thread before, but the way it just all poured out in less than 5 minutes and their enthusiasm for each others' ideas took me off guard. I wanted to say something, but they were going at it so fast that I barely had a chance, so I just sat there with my jaw lightly clenched until I remembered the dishes and made my escape. :(

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Does your mom actually know any illegals? I mean really know them, as in she knows for a fact that they're here illegally? Or is she simply assuming they're illegal? Also free clinics pretty much only provide the basic service that your primary care physician would. If there's actually something seriously wrong, you're still totally hosed. And illegal aliens actually do pay taxes. Depending on who they work for they may pay FICA taxes; they absolutely pay sales taxes; and many of them pay income taxes (http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/taxes/2008-04-10-immigrantstaxes_N.htm). Not all of them do, but then again not all citizens do either.

The only way people could live opulently on welfare would be for them to make a lot of money in a way that was easily hidden (the only thing I can really think of would be drugs). People who get TANF or SNAP or Medicaid usually have to incomes below 133% of the federal poverty line; which means less than $30k for a family of 4. Even if you made the max possible and got all of those "benefits" you wouldn't be able to live "opulently". Besides, more than half of people who are on welfare leave it after two years, and nearly all leave it by 5 years. Also, how exactly do you call someone who works 60 hours a week a two minimum wage jobs to earn a massive sum of $22k "lazy"?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Also, ask her that, if it's such a great deal, if she would renounce her citizenship.

And ask her if she would enjoy a job picking tomatoes for 14 hours a day at a rate of $2 / hr.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Sarion posted:

Also, chain email... (emphasis theirs)

I especially like that this one can't seem to make up it's mind about who it hates. Ungrateful kids, atheists, socialists, muslims; its kind of all over the place. But I guess if you're not a white christian who loves some good ol' fashion unrestrained capitalism, its really all the same.

Whose indeed...

I actually really am offended by that comic purely because as a Christian, saying the Pledge of Allegiance goes against my beliefs. Giving allegiance to something is very serious: it means giving up your life, loyalty, everything up if it is deemed necessary. That is a really serious thing, and flippantly making an oath and public statement like that to ones country, imho, is blasphemous. I take the Commandment of "Love God with your whole heart, soul and mind" seriously. It's jarring that so many people believe nationalism and Christianity are synonymous. It's like they completely ignored the whole part where Jesus states that true salvation is rebellious to the govt. because it requires spurning corruption and seeking justice and mercy for the least of society.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Hastings posted:

I actually really am offended by that comic purely because as a Christian, saying the Pledge of Allegiance goes against my beliefs. Giving allegiance to something is very serious: it means giving up your life, loyalty, everything up if it is deemed necessary. That is a really serious thing, and flippantly making an oath and public statement like that to ones country, imho, is blasphemous. I take the Commandment of "Love God with your whole heart, soul and mind" seriously. It's jarring that so many people believe nationalism and Christianity are synonymous. It's like they completely ignored the whole part where Jesus states that true salvation is rebellious to the govt. because it requires spurning corruption and seeking justice and mercy for the least of society.

With these people, things like Jesus' teachings, the core of Christianity's message and belief system, mean nothing to them. They literally believe in God as a sky-daddy that loves them as long as they follow their local beliefs regarding issues like homoesexuality. If you stray from such beliefs, God will be a passive-aggressive rear end in a top hat to you until you die and He sends you to Hell. Concepts like "mercy", "helping the less fortunate" (outside of a few token giveaways or "mission" trips designed to make you and your church look good), "turning the other cheek", humanity's complex relationship with God, straying from violence, and loving all are completely foreign concepts to them.

The only connection they have to Christianity is their belief in Jesus as the savior of humanity and God's son. Everything else is a mish-mash of horribly-outdated views on God and believing your hateful beliefs are God's.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Captain Filth posted:

That second to last sentence clinches it for me. "If you dont repost this you condone bombing children, this has nothing to do with Israel nope".

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

closeted republican posted:

With these people, things like Jesus' teachings, the core of Christianity's message and belief system, mean nothing to them. They literally believe in God as a sky-daddy that loves them as long as they follow their local beliefs regarding issues like homoesexuality. If you stray from such beliefs, God will be a passive-aggressive rear end in a top hat to you until you die and He sends you to Hell. Concepts like "mercy", "helping the less fortunate" (outside of a few token giveaways or "mission" trips designed to make you and your church look good), "turning the other cheek", humanity's complex relationship with God, straying from violence, and loving all are completely foreign concepts to them.

The only connection they have to Christianity is their belief in Jesus as the savior of humanity and God's son. Everything else is a mish-mash of horribly-outdated views on God and believing your hateful beliefs are God's.

What's really sad is these are the same people who scream at the top of their lungs in protest of "Muslims and atheists are indoctrinating our children" and fail to see the indoctrination of their own. When they do it, it's "raising up our children in the faith". Anything outside of direct, explicit instructions from them is anathema. It's all about "our nations' freedoms" until you start actually wanting to raise your own kids the way you want. It's like a loving journey into bizarro world. I actually had a family member stare straight into my eyes and was discussing how God cares about life and saving the babies, and in the same minute told me God wants us to torture terrorism suspects. Not for political reasons, but that God actually wants us to torture people so the state of Israel is protected, because we have a biblical duty to them. Obviously that is insane, because 1)U.S. wasn't a nation then and 2)the U.S. would have been a Gentile nation then, making it directly in opposition of the Law if it was. The idea of America being a Christian nation really is a hosed up notion because these people genuinely take it seriously and integrate it into their daily faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

It's not indoctrination when you're right! :eng99: