Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I would appreciate that greatly. Let me know what you find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Sorry for the double post.

I just got my SID in the mail, and I tried simply taking the old one out and putting the new one in. Unfortunately when I turned my car back on, the display shows nothing except for what looks like a colon where the time would be. Other then that it is blank.

Do I need to program it or anything? Did I receive a bunk unit?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Karl Barks posted:

Sorry for the double post.

I just got my SID in the mail, and I tried simply taking the old one out and putting the new one in. Unfortunately when I turned my car back on, the display shows nothing except for what looks like a colon where the time would be. Other then that it is blank.

Do I need to program it or anything? Did I receive a bunk unit?

Check your fuses. It's either 15, 16, or 18 on a 9-5. Can't remember 9-3 either, except physical location ATM. If your trunk light's out, too, you probably just killed the fuse. If the trunk light works, you may have a bad SID. I've never had to do anything magical to exchange SIDs.

E: Also turn your lights on, and roll the dimmer all the way up for them, just for the :downs: factor of it.

E2: 89T warsh day, yesterday: http://imgur.com/a/HfWN3/all

Viggen fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 29, 2011

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Well, looks like my Saab finally got its DIC broken. Poor thing didn't even see it coming.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I might be able to get a V4 96 for free or nearly free. It's been sitting out in a field for 20 years so the tires are rotted out and the interior is completely trashed, but on the other hand the car is complete, even with all the chrome and glass. Is this something worth getting into do you think?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

keykey posted:

Well, looks like my Saab finally got its DIC broken. Poor thing didn't even see it coming.

What? No warning? Haven't been getting a random MIL for months? My IDM started to go out and I was still running it as I wanted about three weeks for it to get here.

RockAuto has a few knockoff IDMs, but I just don't trust them for longevity, and since they're a key component..:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I might be able to get a V4 96 for free or nearly free. It's been sitting out in a field for 20 years so the tires are rotted out and the interior is completely trashed, but on the other hand the car is complete, even with all the chrome and glass. Is this something worth getting into do you think?

Absolutely. Worst case, someone in Phoenix wants it.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 8, 2011

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Viggen posted:

Oh, cool. Thank you. It is a handsome devil.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Oh, cool. Thank you. It is a handsome devil.

Aww man.. that chrome is in awesome shape and the paint job? I think I'd want to eventually clean it up - but I'd still be proud to drive it just waxed up to the hilt. I adore that windshield.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Viggen posted:

What? No warning? Haven't been getting a random MIL for months? My IDM started to go out and I was still running it as I wanted about three weeks for it to get here.

RockAuto has a few knockoff IDMs, but I just don't trust them for longevity, and since they're a key component..:

I have the 3.0l v-6 so they want $287.79 a piece for a DIC but I found a used one on e-bay that's warrantied for 30 days for $75 shipped so I'll cross that road when I get to it. I haven't been getting a random MIL, I did get a CPS error so I changed that and cleared the code and the light came on a couple weeks ago but didn't have a chance to check it until last night and it was actually 3 codes. All 3 codes are pointing in the direction of the plugs so I'm changing them today since I've never changed them and I checked my fuel filter this morning and noticed it was fairly clogged so hopefully that takes care of the dying at idle and erratic behavior.. I highly doubt it but hopefully, if not time it's DIC time!

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

keykey posted:

All 3 codes are pointing in the direction of the plugs so I'm changing them today

Changing the plugs is cheaper, but it's never, ever, ever the plugs. It's always the DI. Looking forward to gutting it and fixing the oil cooler, or have you already hit 60,000 miles?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Oil cooler vasectomy happened 25,000 miles ago but as luck would have it while I had it up in the air since I decided to change the oil as well, I noticed a line that was supposed to be connected to the MAP sensor was not connected. Changed out the line and voila, runs like it's supposed to. Dodged that bullet. :)

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

keykey posted:

Oil cooler vasectomy happened 25,000 miles ago but as luck would have it while I had it up in the air since I decided to change the oil as well, I noticed a line that was supposed to be connected to the MAP sensor was not connected. Changed out the line and voila, runs like it's supposed to. Dodged that bullet. :)

drat.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
If you aren't aware, The Neo Brothers are making an incredibly awesome Saab 96 track car.

Look at how badass that beast is. Wiggles, you thinking what I'm thinking?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

So the fuel pump in my 9-3 randomly crapped out today when I was in the middle of a rainstorm. The tow truck driver offered up some Confucian advice in saying that "things don't always turn out as planned". No poo poo.

I was too busy feeling sorry for myself to check the service log to see if the fuel pump had at any point been replaced (don't think it has). From what I've gathered replacing it is a pain in the rear end deal that involves you either A) needing to drop the fuel tank or B) cutting up the framework to get at it?

I won't be able to fix this by myself unless I have access to a reasonably well equipped garage, will I? Cause I just told the tow guy to dump it at the local repair shop.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I won't be able to fix this by myself unless I have access to a reasonably well equipped garage, will I? Cause I just told the tow guy to dump it at the local repair shop.

It's a bit of a pain in the rear end, but it's not impossible. You may find yourself creating 'tools' to help you do so, though.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I just replaced mine using the "cut a hole under the seat" method, although I took the easy way and replaced the whole pump assembly instead of just the insert. The only "special" tool you would need for this is something to turn the locking ring.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Thanks for that, I'll see what the mechanic says and then I'll decide how ambitious I feel about changing the thing. It's PROBABLY the fuel pump, but I'm not 100% sure.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is it some kind of GM thing? Because my Frontera didn't have an access panel to get at the fuel pump either, and dropping an 80L tank with a big steel guard attached to it was no fun whatsoever.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

It wasn't the fuel pump, it was the DI cartridge. Oh god, my money :gonk:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Is it some kind of GM thing? Because my Frontera didn't have an access panel to get at the fuel pump either, and dropping an 80L tank with a big steel guard attached to it was no fun whatsoever.

Pretty sure the 9-5 has an access hatch for it, but Saab got all retarded with the 900/9-3 for some reason. Mine died and the tank had to come out. :-(

Anybody up for guessing why my 9-5 Aero (2004) stutters under full boost at times? I see the needle go into the red zone, but if it climbs just a teeni tiiny bit further into it than normal the car stutters a bit. This usually happens when accelerating uphill, or in lower RPMs in a higher gear, i.e. increasing load on the engine. Replaced some dried out vacuum hoses, spark plugs, and recirc valve (it looked pretty sad) and it SEEMS to have improved a bit but is still there.

Almost seems like the ECU is stepping in when boost hits a certain point since it is so specific to where the needle is on the gauge, but not sure what the logic behind it is...

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Nuclear Tourist posted:

It always is. Cheapest I've been able to find OEM DIs is about $300 here, now.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Anybody up for guessing why my 9-5 Aero (2004) stutters under full boost at times? I see the needle go into the red zone, but if it climbs just a teeni tiiny bit further into it than normal the car stutters a bit. This usually happens when accelerating uphill, or in lower RPMs in a higher gear, i.e. increasing load on the engine. Replaced some dried out vacuum hoses, spark plugs, and recirc valve (it looked pretty sad) and it SEEMS to have improved a bit but is still there.

Almost seems like the ECU is stepping in when boost hits a certain point since it is so specific to where the needle is on the gauge, but not sure what the logic behind it is...

I've seen similar loss in power when check valves have gone out: it just shits out all of the boost. Did you just replace the hoses? A quick 'test' is to remove the top vacuum tube from the BCV and block it, then take it for a GENTLE drive to see how it works with boost forced. If your check valves have failed and this 'restores' it, then you're going to have to buy the entire mess of hoses just to get the check valves; they don't sell them separately.

Afaik, the gauge is just a dummy, just like the 'temperature' gauge. The only time you'll see something out of band, it's completely hosed up.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 13, 2011

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Call Saab and give them your VIN and they'll probably want a number off the DIC as well. If you have a 4 cyl, the one you have may have a recalled unit. If so and it hasn't been taken care of yet, you will get a new one free unless there's shipping involved.

edit: Sorry if I'm a few days late and you already ordered one, just noticed the 8 unread posts in this thread.

keykey fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 13, 2011

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Well, the mechanic called me up bright and early this morning and told me that he'd installed a brand new DI cassette for me. He did mention that I could get a used one on the cheap if I felt like it, but advised against getting a critical part like that used, which I guess makes sense.

Cost a small fortune, but oh well, guess I don't have to worry about it for a while. Thanks for the advice keykey, I'll try to keep that in mind if (when) the DI cassette craps out again.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Cost a small fortune, but oh well, guess I don't have to worry about it for a while. Thanks for the advice keykey, I'll try to keep that in mind if (when) the DI cassette craps out again.

They haven't made 'bad' DI (IDM) units in quite awhile. Your new one should not be included. FWIW, replacing the DI is about a 5 minute job, and that includes going into the trunk to get the proper sized drive.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Aha, I see. And yeah, I know it's easy as hell to replace, had I realized that's what it was (I probably should have) I would just have told the tow truck guy to dump off the car outside my house and I would have taken care of it.

\/\/ Forgot about that, but I can comfort myself with knowing that contacting Saab about it would have been a bit of a long shot to begin with.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 13, 2011

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Thanks for the advice keykey, I'll try to keep that in mind if (when) the DI cassette craps out again.

If it craps out again, you're now on your own. The DIC serial is tracked to your VIN.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

keykey posted:

If it craps out again, you're now on your own. The DIC serial is tracked to your VIN.

I assume this would be a common thing for authorized dealers/resellers to setup on the warranty work/etc chain, but I've never actually heard of this being done.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

Viggen posted:

I assume this would be a common thing for authorized dealers/resellers to setup on the warranty work/etc chain, but I've never actually heard of this being done.
Unfortunately, I can't imagine SAAB has a lot of spare money to deal with bad DICs or warranty claims.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Viggen posted:

It always is. Cheapest I've been able to find OEM DIs is about $300 here, now.

I've seen similar loss in power when check valves have gone out: it just shits out all of the boost. Did you just replace the hoses? A quick 'test' is to remove the top vacuum tube from the BCV and block it, then take it for a GENTLE drive to see how it works with boost forced. If your check valves have failed and this 'restores' it, then you're going to have to buy the entire mess of hoses just to get the check valves; they don't sell them separately.

Afaik, the gauge is just a dummy, just like the 'temperature' gauge. The only time you'll see something out of band, it's completely hosed up.

You mean taking the "R" hose off to see if the blue checkvalves are hosed? Probably not a bad idea, will give that a go and see how it does.

The gauge as far as I understand is driven by the ECU so does show boost but rather indirectly...

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Francis Baconator posted:

Unfortunately, I can't imagine SAAB has a lot of spare money to deal with bad DICs or warranty claims.

AFAIK, GM years are still GM claims? That's what all of the paperwork they sent me in 2009/2010 said.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

You mean taking the "R" hose off to see if the blue checkvalves are hosed? Probably not a bad idea, will give that a go and see how it does.

The gauge as far as I understand is driven by the ECU so does show boost but rather indirectly...

Yeah, that one. Be careful not to drive too crazy since you could always blow your HG w/ the wastegate pinched off. (Not saying it's likely, but is a possibility)

I trust the gauge as much as I trust the temperature gauge, is what I was trying to convey; it's all software controlled with various levels of 'dummy factor' for anything usable, of course. :)

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Anybody know a good Saab mechanic near Boston?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Karl Barks posted:

None personally, and I hate making suggestions based upon an outdated list on SaabNet, but a buddy of mine who lives near there can recommend someone (and someone to avoid, he claims), but wants to know the nature of the repair.

For a blanket response offer:

slug posted:

I use ABJ in somerville, one to avoid is automotion in billerica
(This is the first on the outdated SaabNet list).

The "story" about automotion:

"Someone else reported that he took his car in with some engine driveability issue, automotion couldn't identify the problem but did a bsr performance flash of his ecu, charged him for it at a discount and called it a day."

So, yeah, if someone did a performance flash on an engine that is suspect of being wonky, I'd second guess their smarts, too.. even if they'd be liable for the eventual grenade.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 15, 2011

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Karl Barks posted:

What's your car doing, or are you just looking just in case something does happen?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Karl Barks posted:

There's Foreign Auto Center on Prospect in Cambridge. Independent shop run by a coupla Greek guys. Their labor rate is good and they're honest (though maybe a bit hard to understand) about problems. They also let you supply your own parts.

I've always assumed Charles River Saab must have a good shop since it's THE Saab dealership of the whole country, but who knows.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

kimbo305 posted:

I've always assumed Charles River Saab must have a good shop since it's THE Saab dealership of the whole country, but who knows.

I can't say about their service, but their parts department is second to none, even if their prices are about 10% over internet OEM prices.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I need to get the suspension mount,o2 sensor, antenna(it no longer rises when I turn on the car), brake pads, and tires replaced. Brake pads and tires I was just going to go to NTB place on Mass Ave in Cambridge. I've already purchased the mount and the o2 sensor, and I replaced the SID myself(not exactly the most difficult thing in the world). I'd do most of this myself but have no time.

I also ran into a 90 degree angle directly in the center of my front bumper, which made the two sides of the bumper sort of pop out right in front of the front wheel wells. I'm trying to sell my car, and I'm not sure how easy/expensive this would be fix or if it's even worth fixing.

And finally some guy backed into my driver side door and left a small dent that has no hard edges. Should I just remove the interior door panel and try to punch the dent back out?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Karl Barks posted:

I also ran into a 90 degree angle directly in the center of my front bumper, which made the two sides of the bumper sort of pop out right in front of the front wheel wells. I'm trying to sell my car, and I'm not sure how easy/expensive this would be fix or if it's even worth fixing.

And finally some guy backed into my driver side door and left a small dent that has no hard edges. Should I just remove the interior door panel and try to punch the dent back out?
Sounds like time for a man-in-a-van PDR guy, especially the latter.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InitialDave posted:

Sounds like time for a man-in-a-van PDR guy, especially the latter.

Seconding this. Also, if you decide to touch up anything - don't.

I did for my 2K, and it looks like crap even when blending the paint to match any fade. The only thing I can say is the clear coat that comes with the factory touch-up will mask 'dull' areas from rub or anything, very well, provided you didn't get through the original paint.

It looks like my car has freckles, or measels, now, but gently caress it, it's the DD anyhow and at 180k, it's going to have SOME personality.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
So, my mom passed away this spring at 59 from cancer, and with some of the money we were left, my wife and I decided to buy a convertible (which I think my mom would approve of). After testing a few Miata's, we decided a 4-seater would make more sense, so we bought this Saab. It's an '02 9-3 SE, 106k, in good shape generally (especially the top), few little issues here and there, but nothing big, paid $6k. Today we drove it up the Mt. Washington auto road, and I took this photo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Awesome man, that's a beautiful picture. Your mother would be proud of it. :)