Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Jan posted:

Hopefully by having enough memory, with a unified architecture. :allears:

Why would you do that when you can spread the processing over several different types of cores and have different buckets of memory for different functions?

While we're at it, why wouldn't you use a really slow disc drive to ensure that none of the data feels hurried or bothered like maybe it has something it needs to do that day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Shalinor posted:

... and Microsoft will just release another new console with more memory and a better CPU that supports an easy-to-use superset of DX11.

That uses C# as it's primary development language.

That's the way to try to win the generation. Force large studios to pick between 720 and PS4.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Hughlander posted:

That uses C# as it's primary development language.

That's the way to try to win the generation. Force large studios to pick between 720 and PS4.

I think that's just a way to kill third party support for your console. I think you're better off getting 50% of what the other guy makes off of Title A than trying to win the whole pot and fail.

I don't think publisher suits would really see it as a problem, either. My buddy at another studio is starting up a new project and given their projection next-gen is a possibility, and the official line from above at the moment is that they're supporting 360, WiiU, PC, PS4, iOS, Oster's new Toaster lineup, Android, Flash10, PS3, Xbox720, a guy with a moleskin notebook named Frank and the Denny's menu.

Manley Pointer
Sep 6, 2010

typhus posted:

While yes, I'd agree that creating the head typically signifies an explicit recognition of value on the part of the studio, to say that contract writing is poo poo because it comes from contractors is ridonk.

Yep, sorry, it was an asinine thing to say, thus the apology edit to my post. Thanks for the thoughtful reply though, as your responses and Diplomaticus' taught me a lot more about a part of the industry I believed I knew a little bit about. I also did not know that using Excel when writing barks was an industry-wide thing, that's kinda funny.

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

Shalinor posted:

I hope they more than double the memory this time. I doubt it will happen, but... I can hope :(

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-04-what-devs-want-from-the-next-gen-article

great minds think alike?

PS: I think the controllers are more likely to kill cross platform than next-gen. You can always develop for the lowest common hardware denominator or solve tech issues through throwing programming time at them. But having fundamentally different ways of interacting with the game is going to make it very difficult to make cross platform games that really utilize the systems.

djkillingspree fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 24, 2011

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
I am in the process of learning how to program. I'm literally at the extreme basics of how to declare variables and all that crap, but one thing that some people who actually know how to program might want to say yay or nay on is this:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/

MIT has a new online site called Open Courseware. This site is basically them putting up their classes online for free, and by free I mean completely 100% free. You don't even have to register on the website. Just go in, pick a class, and get to it.

The classes range from Calculus Theory, Honors Differential Equations, all the way to the extreme basics of programing for people who have 0 experience. I'm currently working my way through the intro to Comp Sci/programming, and so far I've gotten to the point where I can actually complete all the assigned problems they gave out(up to the lecture I'm on) without having to get any help.

The best part is this isn't just a comp sci or engineering program. They have tons of other subjects for anyone who's actually wanting to learn something, but you're not going to get anything for completing these classes other than what you got out of it.To me, this has been one of the best tools to actually learn something new.

What I am looking for is actually learning how to program for business applications. I'm starting a computer science degree next spring semester, and I'm using this open sourceware to get a jump start on everything from the physics classes I'll have to take to the basic programming.

I would greatly appreciate any help from other programers on some good places to go for learning more Java and SQL. Specifically from someone at the extreme basic level if possible.

Bahanahab fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 24, 2011

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Believe it or not the Xbox 360 almost released with half as much memory as it has. It only has the 512 total as a last-minute change due to outcry from internal and external game devs. I remember the huge cheer that went up in the meeting they announced this.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

concerned mom posted:

I've been trying to find Leamington art classes or something. I found an evening group few months ago that said they meet on Wednesdays somewhere in town, but I can't find it now:(

I would have been all over this. :C

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006
I could use some advice.

I recently applied to a contract programmer position at BioWare and got a pretty fast response from HR saying I looked overqualified and they wouldn't provide relocation but if I was still interested they would love to talk to me. I replied back the next day saying I was still interested.

I haven't heard anything back yet and it's been a week. Should I keep waiting or send another email to check in?

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

I Am A Robot posted:

I could use some advice.

I recently applied to a contract programmer position at BioWare and got a pretty fast response from HR saying I looked overqualified and they wouldn't provide relocation but if I was still interested they would love to talk to me. I replied back the next day saying I was still interested.

I haven't heard anything back yet and it's been a week. Should I keep waiting or send another email to check in?
Which BioWare? There's like 5. I know people who work there, unfortunately only in the Austin studio and only in the community department for SWTOR...

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

M4rk posted:

Which BioWare? There's like 5. I know people who work there, unfortunately only in the Austin studio and only in the community department for SWTOR...

That's funny, because I'm friends with the new community manager for the Old Republic in europe.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Monster w21 Faces posted:

That's funny, because I'm friends with the new community manager for the Old Republic in europe.
Really? Cool. I've been buddies with Mr. Stephen "Rockjaw" Reid since he was working at NCsoft Europe. He was my first contact at the studio when I was just getting AionSource.com started (2006). It stung when he was let go during the restructuring in 2008 that created NCsoft West. He found work quickly, though, at Netdevil on Jumpgate Evolution (I really wanted to like that game), but it never got out of development hell, so he moved on again. I think he's at the top of the pile now as SWTOR's lead community manager, so I don't know where he can go from there but even higher up into a director position at some publisher. He's a chill guy, hope he's got some time to chat in between events at PAX this weekend...

So basically he and BrotherMagneto (ex En Masse, now back at a PR firm) are my role models, since they've been the folks I've kept in contact with the most. BroMags is also a goon and a rad Fallout fan (check the wiki, there's a page just for his stuff).

I hope neither of those two dudes reads this. :ohdear:

M4rk fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 24, 2011

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

DancingMachine posted:

Believe it or not the Xbox 360 almost released with half as much memory as it has. It only has the 512 total as a last-minute change due to outcry from internal and external game devs. I remember the huge cheer that went up in the meeting they announced this.

... According to what I've heard, this was true of the PS3 as well, funnily enough. It originally had 256MB unified memory and after the 360 released with 512 they added the non-shared VRAM to reach "parity" with the 360. Which is why the memory architecture is so weird on it.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

I would weep tears of joy for the next console if:

- Supports cool new Unreal DX11 features :)
- Has a butt load of memory
- Has a sane DLC system that would allow us to add DLC post ship in a reasonable manner (push new content to all users without miniscule Title update size limits, must pay to unlock usage, etc)
- Build in better integrated matching, server browsing, NAT traversal functionality. No reason every game should have to reinvent the wheel here - could easily provide a built-in, HD server list browser and party system that any game could use. Current 360 SDK is closest to this but still pretty far in some respects.
- Building in connection quality ratings (integrate in the previous bullet point ideally, but regardless) so we can easily classify a user's ability to host a game (and make them aware of it via the OS UI somewhere) without rolling our own speedtest poo poo
- Provide a nice, built-in beta test deployment system for titles

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

M4rk posted:

Bioware Austin. The contract job is for SWTOR and my contact has been the "Senior Human Resources Generalist".

I'm sending out a follow up email today. If there's anything you can do to help that would be awesome. Although it sounds like you might not know HR. :ohdear:

LowPolyCount
May 16, 2004

Transform... for Justice!
If anyone's going to PAX, I'll be at the Riot booth at varying times so feel free to say hi. I have red and blue hair so I shouldn't be hard to find.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

^^^I think I will be able to get a pass for tomorrow, I'll stop by if I see you. :hfive:

Does anyone ever hear the line: "It's not a bug, it's a feature!"?
At first I thought it was a joke but apparently it happens in real life.

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

Pretty much a crosspost from the PAX thread but, I'll be at PAX as well so definitely check our booth for Crimson Steam Pirates at booth 682 (marked [a]listgames). I'll be at the booth all 3 days but not all shifts. Come by, say hi, and play our game.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

jBusy posted:

If anyone's going to PAX, I'll be at the Riot booth at varying times so feel free to say hi. I have red and blue hair so I shouldn't be hard to find.

Oh I think remember you from GDC! I am not going to PAX though since I am still a jobless bum. I was the one asking around to talk to Flash developers; if that was anything worth remembering :P you said you are a Flex guy, right? I don't think you had any of your own business cards but you did randomly have the card of one of the Flash guys.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Chernabog posted:

^^^I think I will be able to get a pass for tomorrow, I'll stop by if I see you. :hfive:

Does anyone ever hear the line: "It's not a bug, it's a feature!"?
At first I thought it was a joke but apparently it happens in real life.

Who wrote the spec, you or me? :colbert:

(I'm kidding . . . I love test :))

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

jBusy posted:

I will drop by, hope you've got some codes. :P

Also, would you happen to know if Community Lead Andrew Beegle be there? I want to hand him a resume... ;)

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
This image, passed along by a programmer, made me think of this thread:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Chasiubao posted:

Who wrote the spec, you or me? :colbert:

(I'm kidding . . . I love test :))

I'm actually an artist, but since we have a small team we all help test :)

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Chernabog posted:

I'm actually an artist, but since we have a small team we all help test :)

At last the true reason for these bugs!

Fishbus posted:

CLASS D / Suggestion: Not enough red in the level

True story

:v:

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

PAX Dev went well in my eyes. It would have been nice if there were fewer students/non-industry in attendance (or more devs) but the speakers all did a great job with their presentations and the after-hours chats were fantastic.

There was plenty to learn for all levels of industry experience.

Favorite quote:

"The 'exec-o-sphere' is a transformer that is a truck that transforms into another truck."

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Whoa, so how many goon devs are actually going to be at PAX? I'm really excited for tomorrow. I guess I'll try to say hi if I figure out some of you. PAXDev sounded interesting but I heard about it somewhat late. There's even a student discount :sigh:

Maybe if I'm lucky I can try to network with some people at PAX. I remember striking it up with a level designer for Arenanet in 08 and got his email but unfortunately I never followed through.

Jagermaestro
Aug 25, 2011

Just add lobster.

That's what they told us. And we did. We added lobster to all our games. And that's how we saved Warhammer 40k, puppies, and the career of the former hit band 'Yes'.

BizarroAzrael posted:

That one sounds familiar to me actually, think I know the guy who did that.

Anyway, here's my current, web-safe CV.

Please tell me if there's something I should change, if you know of something suitable for me, something I can do to be more employable, just anything, life is just unbearable for me now.

That's a LOT of Software/Languages listed. When you put C# alongside Microsoft Office (which everyone and their dog has at least some proficiency in), it leads me to believe that you haven't specialized in any of this and you're just listing a bunch of poo poo you spent 2 days learning about on the web.

Cut that list in half, at least, catering specifically to the skills relevant to the job you're applying for. Unless you're applying to be a receptionist, you don't need to list Office. Self-taught photoshop/gimp? No programmer cares. You list UDK / Kismet / Matinee; okay, what have you actually done with it?

I'd also distil the amount of bullet points you have listed for your most recent job. I assume you're marketing yourself as a C#/Tools developer at this point, so kill stuff like "Checked basic functionality of new builds published by QA." and "Worked to identify the source of bugs introduced in new revisions."

Also, why are you listing your 70% grades from school? Don't hamstring yourself; no one is going to ask what mark you got on your Flash assignment, so let them assume it was 100%

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Jagermaestro posted:

Also, why are you listing your 70% grades from school? Don't hamstring yourself; no one is going to ask what mark you got on your Flash assignment, so let them assume it was 100%

Because they're "A"s. Don't know if it's different in the US, but I didn't think that was "hamstringing".

Jagermaestro
Aug 25, 2011

Just add lobster.

That's what they told us. And we did. We added lobster to all our games. And that's how we saved Warhammer 40k, puppies, and the career of the former hit band 'Yes'.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Because they're "A"s. Don't know if it's different in the US, but I didn't think that was "hamstringing".

Interesting. If 74% is an A, what's a 99% grade?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Don't list self-taught, just say you know something. No one cares how you learned what you know, only that you know it :pseudo:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I'd also drop the interests. No one is going to throw your resume away because you don't list interests (personal compatibility is something you suss out in the phone and in-person interviews), but they might if they really hate the things you like. Though ideally it wouldn't influence the HR person either way (so dump it regardless).

I'd also also think very carefully about having a full paragraph about your personality before you list experience. It's a giant waste of space, and again, no one cares, they'll figure out for themselves what kind of person you are when they talk to you.

You've got professional experience, that should be dead center up top. That's what people care about - shipped titles, experience, proven ability to not be a tool. Not flowery prose you wrote about yourself, or giant bulletpoint lists that include knowledge of document editing software.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Personal Profile -- remove this. A bunch of adjectives on how great you are without evidence are useless. These are as bad as "Goals and objectives" sections in my book.

Languages -- take out the irrelevant ones (i.e. windows operating system, office, photoshop), as well as those that don't apply to your current job. Also, take out "self-taught". Consider grouping these by category -- HTML, CSS, PHP in "web", C#, Lua, JS in "languages", UDK, GECK etc. in "SDKs". If you don't group them, at least order them logically so it doesn't go from like Lua to Flash to office to VB....

Experience -- take out "reason for leaving." If they care enough to interview you, they'll ask in person. It makes you look less important to the team you were on. Combine bullet points where possible (e.g. your second to last and third to last points on bugs/commits). Focus on what people will care about (will anyone care that you "identify...the person who committed the files" or is that inherently understood?) Eliminate duplicates -- how is "Maintained build system to ensure its continued functionality, and to work with other updated tools and software." different from "Responsible for preventing and correcting local build issues." and "Responsible for preventing and correcting local build issues." and "Developed a system to identify causes of new build errors and the person that committed the responsible files." -- I bet you could combine these down into one or maybe two shorter, less redundant points.

Education -- take out the grade percentages. There is utterly no reason for those to be there. Doesn't even matter if they were A's. GCSEs -- this is a british thing so I have no idea what it means. But, if you were in Uni and college after this, I'm assuming this is grade school. If that's the case, remove it. Your college/uni portfolio and grades ought to speak for themselves -- 17 year old grades are meaningless.

Interests -- remove the actual interests (toys, etc.) as it is irrelevant and looks goony. Put the beta testing into it's own section if you think that might help. But since you're an experienced tester with plenty of titles to your name, I'm not sure it matters so much. Possibly list your amateur experience somewhere along with the unreal university. Don't put conferences if you've merely attended -- if you hosted an event or went on a scholarship, put those. Honestly, I'd even say if you were a CA or Enforcer at GDC/PAX respectively, that could go on there. But as a mere attendee, nobody should care -- what you learned from that conference should be reflected in your portfolio.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I am the résumé whisperer.

very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.

Jagermaestro posted:

A tri-star.

But really, 74% looks pretty bad. In what context does it look good?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I cut it down to a page and a half here, and I'm not sure you need any of that school stuff, as a US citizen none of those numbers sound impressive to me because we do not use your grading system, so I can't tell if those are genuinely impressive or not. Also, nobody gives a gently caress about highschool test scores from the 90s.

Here is the quick 10 minute chopdown.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PAirI2bCU-c4xwGD25RkYEC9buYOONLbuhS8nE_bsSk/edit?hl=en_US

Remember, this is you branding yourself with the most impressive parts of your life. Coke.com doesn't open up to a bunch of words talking about what the CEO is interested in or how in 1995 they won Best Tasting Coke Product or that previously they were responsible for bottling infant blood.

The idea is to lead with your best foot, but also don't show them your weaker foot.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Jagermaestro posted:

<80% is A* if I remember right.

This is honestly the first I have heard that CVs shouldn't have personal profiles or interests. Including when I asked about this stuff five months ago.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

This is honestly the first I have heard that CVs shouldn't have personal profiles or interests. Including when I asked about this stuff five months ago.

Personal profiles that are a bunch of self-congratulatory adjectives and multiple paragraphs of hobbies that put you to page 3 do not belong.

Given the amount of work history you have, you don't need that kind of padding, and if you did need it, you went about it in too much detail.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
^^^^ Yes.

BizarroAzrael posted:

There is a logical art to a resume. It should include only the minimum amount of material necessary to get across the cleanest message that you are sufficiently capable of working at that institution and are comparable if not better than other candidates of interest.

It exists solely to get you into the interview, where you'll pass or fail. It is not the final decision-making process; therefore only the most important things need to be on there.

Anything that does not work towards that goal, needs to go.

I will look at your resume and judge you within 30 seconds. In those 30 seconds I will either judge you by the education and work experience you have; or I will see extraneous things that should not be on there that will bring you down bit by bit, and those will tarnish my image of you.

Don't let me see those things.

Your interests do not help me determine your core competency to do a job. Neither do I care about your aspirational goals -- your goals are not important yet to my needs.

It took resume-reviewers literally years to learn these things -- most advice sites are still teaching 80's and 90's style resumes.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Nax. We say this any time anyone posts a resume with extraneous detail like you.

Either you didn't ask this forum, didn't post that resume, you are misremembering, or you got no feedback from any of the people ripping on those details now.

This is not new, what we're telling you has been standard for 10-ish years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinterstum
Jul 30, 2003

If anyone drops by The Secret World presentation at PAX, I'll be the tall guy grinding endlessly through the dungeon on the far right :).