Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Rollei 35 prowhine: why the gently caress didnt the designers forsee that 24mm filters would be impossible to find in the year 2011 :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
http://www.adorama.com/FLU2437.html
Thre you go. :)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
My Zorki 6 and Industar 22 that I ordered from Fedka.com came in today. drat this a cool camera. I should not have waited this long to pick one up, with the lens collapsed it fits nicely in my sweatshirt pocket.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 26, 2011

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

8th-samurai posted:

My Zorki 6 and Industar 22 that I ordered from Fedka.com came in today. drat this a cool camera. I should not have waited this long to pick one up. With the lens collapsed it fits nicely in my sweatshirt pocket.
How is the film advance on your Zorki 6? I've got two of them and it's really grindy and gritty and hard to turn on both, which is silly considering how well the older knob-style advances worked.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Just picked up a bottle of Adonal and a box of Diafine. Now to figure out what to do with them.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

HPL posted:

How is the film advance on your Zorki 6? I've got two of them and it's really grindy and gritty and hard to turn on both, which is silly considering how well the older knob-style advances worked.

Gets a little tight halfway through the roll. I paid a little more than ebay prices but the camera is in really great shape.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

nielsm posted:

Reasons to stay away from expired film:
o It's probably fogged
o It might have lost sensitivity
o poo poo curls and is impossible to handle
o The print on 120 backing paper can somehow leave marks in the picture

I can handle fogged film, just print at a higher grade. I can handle lost sensitivity, just meter for 1/3 or 2/3 stop slower. I can handle the curlyness, as long as it's not too many rolls at a time. But circled numbers and weird dots showing up all over my pictures? NO CURE. :arghfist::emo:

Expired Ektachrome G in 120 is just plain awesome, especially the late 90's vintage.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

8th-samurai posted:

Gets a little tight halfway through the roll. I paid a little more than ebay prices but the camera is in really great shape.

Mine are so crazy that I ripped the film out of the can because the force required to advance the film was roughly equivalent to film-ripping force so I couldn't tell.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

recipe for magic:

fuji neopan acros 100, shot at EI 80 (preferably medium format)
rodinal 1+50
develop ten minutes, gentle inversions for ten seconds each minute

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I prefer to use Rodinal 1:100 at 18 mins, agitation for first minute, 3-4 seconds at every 3-minute interval.

But yeah, Rodinal and Acros are a great combo. Acros is fine-grain enough that Rodinal doesn't hurt anything, and dilute Rodinal boosts sharpness. Plus, since Rodinal is one-shot, I never have to worry about the freshness of my developer.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I thought this might be appropriate here, my friends and I just did a photoshoot for another friend and we decided to go completely analog and do it all in film.

Weapons of Choice by alkanphel, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

HPL posted:

Mine are so crazy that I ripped the film out of the can because the force required to advance the film was roughly equivalent to film-ripping force so I couldn't tell.

http://www.mattdentonphoto.com/cameras/zorki_6.html

This dude describes lubing the gearing and loosening some screws to fix that problem.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
A package arrived today, containing many rolls of expired B&W film for me to play with. Some of it looks really old - a couple of the rolls of Kodak Tri-X 400 have 20 exposures, and the labels are green text on slightly faded Kodak yellow.

Film 110826 by Execudork, on Flickr

I know what I'll be doing this weekend...

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

8th-samurai posted:

http://www.mattdentonphoto.com/cameras/zorki_6.html

This dude describes lubing the gearing and loosening some screws to fix that problem.

I tried that already.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Picked up a working Weston Master II and working Weston Master III plus two other meters that may just need batteries all for $20 on Craigslist :cool:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hey, this seems like a good place to ask.

I read somewhere that exposed film can be used as a (crude?) visible light filter, only--or almost only--allowing IR through. I've got some old negatives from back in the day, and there's usually a length at the end of the roll that is exposed but doesn't have a picture on it. My question: of the scrap I have, some of it is more clear and some of it is mostly opaque. I assume I would want to use the mostly-opaque part as my filter? Or is the fact that it's actually been developed make it useless to me?

That is to say, I have this:

I assume I want to use the darker stuff on the left to filter out visible light and only let IR through? Of course assume that whatever sensor I'm going to be looking through the filter with can, in fact, see IR. I just want it to only see IR and I read this is a cheap option. :)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Bad Munki posted:

Hey, this seems like a good place to ask.

I read somewhere that exposed film can be used as a (crude?) visible light filter, only--or almost only--allowing IR through. I've got some old negatives from back in the day, and there's usually a length at the end of the roll that is exposed but doesn't have a picture on it. My question: of the scrap I have, some of it is more clear and some of it is mostly opaque. I assume I would want to use the mostly-opaque part as my filter? Or is the fact that it's actually been developed make it useless to me?

That is to say, I have this:

I assume I want to use the darker stuff on the left to filter out visible light and only let IR through? Of course assume that whatever sensor I'm going to be looking through the filter with can, in fact, see IR. I just want it to only see IR and I read this is a cheap option. :)

It's exposed slide film that people use for this. Negative film has a colored mask.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, see, I don't know poo poo about which is which.

The other option is, apparently, the platter from an old floppy disk. Problem with that being, of course, where the hell will I find a floppy disk?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

8th-samurai posted:

It's exposed slide film that people use for this. Negative film has a colored mask.

Wouldn't you want unexposed slide film? Exposed slide film is clear. Though maybe you meant to say developed, which I assume you would have to also do?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Today I was at the bookstore looking through photography magazines and wound up coming home with this:

Today's Impulse Purchase by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

I also saw something about the Fuji Darkless kit, which I'd never heard of (it's been out for a while, but is Japan-only, I'm pretty sure):

Basically you develop your roll of film while it's still in the canister. Results are inconstant given that the film will often stick to itself if it's not on a proper reel, but I thought it was kind of a neat idea, anyways.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

simulacrum by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

spotmatic, super takumar 55mm 1.8, ultramax 400

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Basically you develop your roll of film while it's still in the canister. Results are inconstant given that the film will often stick to itself if it's not on a proper reel, but I thought it was kind of a neat idea, anyways.

holy poo poo this is awesome

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

guidoanselmi posted:

holy poo poo this is awesome

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=187

Going for around $26.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

For those of you cool enough to shoot with :smug:rangefinder:smug: cameras, I just came across an awesome find.

These were at the Daiso Japan $1.50 store. They're some sort of cell phone (older flip phone) case and they cost me $1.50 each! They have a reinforced round mouth with an internal closure that works with the draw string. The inside is padded, there's a carabiner loop and a belt loop! I bought 1 for each of my lenses, they're way nicer than the unpadded leather pouch they came with. The best part is that these are the perfect small size. An SLR lens would be too big for them, so I don't need to waste space in my bag for such a thing. B&H sells similar pouches for $30+.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

McMadCow posted:

For those of you cool enough to shoot with :smug:rangefinder:smug: cameras, I just came across an awesome find.

These were at the Daiso Japan $1.50 store. They're some sort of cell phone (older flip phone) case and they cost me $1.50 each! They have a reinforced round mouth with an internal closure that works with the draw string. The inside is padded, there's a carabiner loop and a belt loop! I bought 1 for each of my lenses, they're way nicer than the unpadded leather pouch they came with. The best part is that these are the perfect small size. An SLR lens would be too big for them, so I don't need to waste space in my bag for such a thing. B&H sells similar pouches for $30+.

I'll have to check 100 yen stores here for those, would be great for my NEX kit.

And actually, most Japanese people are still rockin' the (JDM) clamshells, although smartphones are gaining traction.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Looks like a chalk bag.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

TheLastManStanding posted:

Wouldn't you want unexposed slide film? Exposed slide film is clear. Though maybe you meant to say developed, which I assume you would have to also do?

You are right I meant to type "unexposed slide film", whoops.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Elite Taco posted:

Looks like a chalk bag.

It's pretty much exactly like a chalk bag, only 50% sized. I'll get a shot of a lens in one.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I've never really though about it before...

If I get my Kodachrome cross-processed C-41, is there a way to fix the colors in post? I.e., is there a way to color-correct in Lightroom/Photoshop to get the colors looking natural again, or is the image too far gone after being cross-processed?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The only way to get colours on Kodachrome is with the Kodachrome process. C-41, E-6 and all other current colour processes depend on the film emulsion having dyes itself, but in the Kodachrome process, the dyes are present in the developing chemicals. I believe C-41 or E-6 processing would just give you a blank film.

You can only cross-process Kodachrome as B/W.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

nielsm posted:

The only way to get colours on Kodachrome is with the Kodachrome process. C-41, E-6 and all other current colour processes depend on the film emulsion having dyes itself, but in the Kodachrome process, the dyes are present in the developing chemicals. I believe C-41 or E-6 processing would just give you a blank film.

You can only cross-process Kodachrome as B/W.

Whoops I misspoke, and meant Fujichrome which is an E-6 slide film. Sorry, was just waking up when I wrote that.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

QPZIL posted:

Whoops I misspoke, and meant Fujichrome which is an E-6 slide film. Sorry, was just waking up when I wrote that.
It probably depends on the film, but in Vuescan, you can scan an unexposed area of the film, check the "lock film base color" box, and get somewhat normal looking results.

I think a lot of the crazy colors people get from cross processing are actually just a result of bad scanning.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I found a local camera shop I didn't know about that carries a variety of developing chemicals :swoon:

I have 35mm reels but not 120 reels. I remember the last time there was a reel discussion people seemed to be split pretty evenly between plastic & metal. I personally think Hewes stainless are the way to go for 35mm, but there was at least one person saying that plastic was better for 120 specifically. Those of you that do your own 120 - metal or plastic, and more importantly, why?

Ciro-Flex
Jan 28, 2009
Getting 120 film started on a plastic 120 spool can be an exercise in frustration, but I find that once the film is in the auto-ratchet mechanism works better than with 35mm. Go figure.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Plastic reels are super super easy with 120. The only time I've ever had a problem loading was when I had the rollers slightly wet.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Stand developed 35mm HP5+ in 1+100 Rodinal today, for 90 minutes, and it looks great! I'll post photos once I get home to my scanner.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I don't have more problems loading 120 onto my plastic reels than with 35mm. I'm basically clumsy, so there's a certain baseline of difficulty for me, but I haven't noticed a difference between the film formats. I've never used a stainless reel.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

AP compact developing tank reel. Fully compatible with the normal AP developing tank, together with every other developing tank in the world (jobo, paterson (what I use them with) etc).

Just to be confusing, AP have a classic line that are identical to the paterson line, and have all the same loading problems as paterson reels. Heaps of other brands you've never heard of before also sell developing tanks; they're re-badged AP ones. So "generic brand" compact developing tank will almost certainly be these reels if you're having trouble finding them.

Why? look at that guide flange! Just look at the sucker. they close together on 35mm film they're so big. Soooo freaking easy. It used to take me 5+min to load the paterson plastic reels, these are first time every time.

And don't be fooled by the picture, the end of the film slides past the loading flange entirely when loaded in the tank so there are no issues with development.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Captain Postal posted:

Without a doubt my favourite reel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yup, I got a couple of the classic model (almost no flange) with a developing tank I bought at a garage sale. I ended up throwing them away because they only led to frustration and kinked film. Compact reels all the way.