Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Nathander posted:

Shin Megami Tensei I and II are directly related, and there's a tie between I&II and Nocturne through one of the characters. The Persona games all take place in the same universe. P3 and P4 are shown to be in the same continuity, and P3 is linked to P1 as one of the major groups in P3 (Kirijo Group) is a split off of a business group/one of the main character's families from P1 (Nanjo Group).

All things considered, if this is a P4 remake they're doing? I'm kinda "eh" on the idea of there being a female protagonist. While it would make the most sense in order to make the game have replayability, there was actual story precedent for a "female protagonist" route in P3.

The entire Persona series is a spin off of "SMT if" so I guess it depends how much that game is related to SMT proper.

Personally I think the female protagonist fit 3 better than the male one. Persona 4 guy feels like a more established personality for a silent hero (I think partially since the narrator talks a lot more) so getting a choice at the beginning wouldn't be quite as cool. If they did do a different gender version I think I would want her to look like the hero when he wears drag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Radish posted:

The entire Persona series is a spin off of "SMT if" so I guess it depends how much that game is related to SMT proper.

Personally I think the female protagonist fit 3 better than the male one. Persona 4 guy feels like a more established personality for a silent hero (I think partially since the narrator talks a lot more) so getting a choice at the beginning wouldn't be quite as cool. If they did do a different gender version I think I would want her to look like the hero when he wears drag.
Well the upcoming anime is actually gonna be that guy so yeah I guess he's gonna have a defined personality for real this time.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I thought P4 only accented how much a silent protagonist is outdated these days. I found it very unsatisfying that his responses were based off stats and you got things like "You explained to Nanako why people die". It just seems like Atlus thinks the main character has to be silent.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
The best method is how Bioware does their protagonists, where you choose from a list of answers (not unlike Persona games) but then the character has its own voice and replies based on how you yourself answered. There's no reason why Atlus can't do this for P5, but there's no reason to say they will. :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Grimace posted:

The best method is how Bioware does their protagonists, where you choose from a list of answers (not unlike Persona games) but then the character has its own voice and replies based on how you yourself answered. There's no reason why Atlus can't do this for P5, but there's no reason to say they will. :(

A lot of people hate this stuff though and would rather their protagonist not speak for them. I don't necessarily agree but there are people who absolutely loathe their main characters speaking. I've seen people get angry over the fact that Vincent in Catherine has a defined personality instead of the P4 style.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

The Grimace posted:

the best way to do it is actually like DX:HR, which will do that but also give you a fairly detailed description of what your main character will say, instead of just like 3-4 words.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'd think Alpha Protocol's way is better. You're given the mood of what you'll say (Persuasive, Professional, Seductive, etc), so instead of seeing specific words, you see more how the conversation itself will go. It's also timed, so you're not able to think about it too much, like an actual conversation.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Grimace posted:

The reason is bioware games have 10 times the budget Atlus does

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Multiple choice dialog options always make Bioware player characters sound totally schizophrenic. I'm not allergic to it or anything but I don't think it's the best possible design option.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Isn't that exactly what P3 and 4's main characters are, switching personas just so people will like them more?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Momomo posted:

Isn't that exactly what P3 and 4's main characters are, switching personas just so people will like them more?

It's pretty much the same, except picking the jerk options in Persona games results in a direct penalty instead of an alternate dialog route and Shepard doing that smug arms-crossed animation.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

8th day implementation is really half assed. You have to sit through the original games epilogue for your ending, then the credits, then it asks you to create 8th day data....Where it shoves you back to the usual 5 minute little chat between the party before the credits over again before going on to the actual content. :psyduck:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Momomo posted:

I thought P4 only accented how much a silent protagonist is outdated these days. I found it very unsatisfying that his responses were based off stats and you got things like "You explained to Nanako why people die". It just seems like Atlus thinks the main character has to be silent.

Persona 2 EP silent protagonist was actually the worst in my opinion since she talked like crazy in IS. So she already had a clearly defined personality and even the other characters reacted as such in the second game when she didn't speak. It was purely out of tradition of silent protagonist even though it was really clear the person you were controlling was really talking and not necessarily with your input.

So it resulted in absurd conversations like she was a dog where people were explaining what she had just said back to her.

"What you say that you know who this boy is and this is the person you saw earlier??"

Like who talks that way?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

What's that Maya? Little Tatsuya fell down the ol' Well?!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Maya: ....

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Counterpoint: You get to pick dialogue options to say "Grab your asses and run!" which makes Maya the best Persona protagonist by far.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
She also breaks her silence in battle in the best way possible. "Let's positive thinking!"

It'll be interesting to see, however, if Vincent's example marks a change in this approach. Keeping the PC voiceless mostly makes sense to me in games where you have a lot of control on how or when the story unfolds because it leaves you to make those choices yourself. Having the character speak out loud can act to distance and disconnect the player - although I don't care that much personally, there are definitely games were it makes more sense than others. Given Persona's relative linearity, and limited PC interactions, I think there's no reason it wouldn't work fine.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Rinkles posted:

Justice you weren't perhaps planning on being as crazy charitable as always and hosting an Innocent Sin contest like you did for P3P?

I was, but I didn't get the job. The last thread was a lot of money and effort, and without that big check I don't really have the time or resources to put into it.

The NA release is coming up soon, so if someone else wants to make the thread, now would be a good time.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

With all this Devil Survivor talk, I guess I'm going to have to pick that game back up again to prepare for the sequel whenever it comes to other regions. I think I stopped playing it right around the first boss.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well, I'm about to finish the 8th day and I have to say. It's loving awesome. It even seems like theres two different ways it can go, even within the same scenario.

Heres a spoilerific synopsis for those who aren't going to pick it up but are still curiousIn Naoya's path, the angels in a last ditch effort turn all the humans in the lockdown against you promising their freedom. And you have the choice of turning humanity against the angels, or crushing everyone in your path. and based on all the stuff that happened otherwise it seems like if I would have done the "nice guy" route, the whole day would have gone differently. Since this had me just crushing every pocket of resistance, and ended with Yuzu and Midori assaulting the MC and summoning fuckin METATRON to crush me. He even gets his own battle music which is pretty loving good (and I wasn't really a fan of the OST)

TO people on the fence: I'd honestly say it's worth it just based on this alone, but then again I got my copy for free due to a giftcard, so theres no buyers remorse. :v:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Justice posted:

I was, but I didn't get the job. The last thread was a lot of money and effort, and without that big check I don't really have the time or resources to put into it.

The NA release is coming up soon, so if someone else wants to make the thread, now would be a good time.

Ahh, well that's too bad. You really went well above the call of duty with the amount of PSPs you ended up giving out in addition to the game related stuff. Pity about the job not panning out.

I actually sort of kind of prematurely started working on some "art" to enter. But it wasn't the least bit creative (or much good). If anyone's interested I can post what I'd done so far.

edit:

quote:

Since this had me just crushing every pocket of resistance, and ended with Yuzu and Midori assaulting the MC and summoning fuckin METATRON to crush me. He even gets his own battle music which is pretty loving good (and I wasn't really a fan of the OST)

Wow.

VVVV Sure. I'll just have to make it presentable. VVV

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 26, 2011

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
I'd like to see it :)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Look on my (first) Anime works, ye Goons, and despair! Here's a picture of Lisa and a picture of Tatsuya. (Sorry it took a while, had to clean out the lawn before the coming of Irene)

Because I can't draw very well I was going to present them from the simplest angle, head on. I thought the Lisa was okay (though the hair needs some tweaking), but I can't look at Tatsuya. The hair-style is really off (and it took forever to get to where it is now) and I couldn't get the mouth to express his profound but humble sense of angst because I can't draw mouths for poo poo. I was hoping to eventually also add some Persona-based patterns to the background (that was probably beyond my scope anyway). Beyond being posters or whatever I wasn't certain what I was going to do with them. (I also have a VERY much work-in-progress Maya in profile.)

Before those I had a different thing in mind, during which I created this thing.

Yes that's Eikichi, Tatsuya and Lisa putting very little effort in cosplaying as characters from other Persona games. Please don't laugh at me, I may have been in a state of mild inebriation during it's creation.

I mostly had this in mind when I said I needed to make them presentable. It's poorly drawn and there are some stray pixels. I tried cleaning those up but the photoshop file is such a mess with so many unlabelled layers that I gave up.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Rinkles posted:

This is awesome.

Also yeah I know I won't shut up about Overclocked, but just another FYI to potential buyers, only Naoyas route seems to have two different ways to play the 8th day if the achievement screen is any indication.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
haha I agree, the gif is awesome.

Odd question (maybe) but how long approximately is P2P going to be? (Or how long was the original P2:IS?)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I can't even tell who Eikichi's trying to cosplay as. .gif rules is the best possible way.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I think Eikichi is Nanjo.

ChiTownEddie posted:

haha I agree, the gif is awesome.

Odd question (maybe) but how long approximately is P2P going to be? (Or how long was the original P2:IS?)

Like 30~40 hours.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks for the kind words. I cleaned it up a bit (but it's still very washed out and the shading is really bad).

I realized I had made it 125*125 px, perhaps intentionally, but probably because I was working on an avatar when I made this. So if anyone's interested:

I had to decrease the number of colors or get rid of transparency (which really beefs up the size) to get it under 30kB. Did the latter but stuck with the reduced colors because I liked the palette.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well, I'm about to finish the 8th day and I have to say. It's loving awesome. It even seems like theres two different ways it can go, even within the same scenario.

Heres a spoilerific synopsis for those who aren't going to pick it up but are still curiousIn Naoya's path, the angels in a last ditch effort turn all the humans in the lockdown against you promising their freedom. And you have the choice of turning humanity against the angels, or crushing everyone in your path. and based on all the stuff that happened otherwise it seems like if I would have done the "nice guy" route, the whole day would have gone differently. Since this had me just crushing every pocket of resistance, and ended with Yuzu and Midori assaulting the MC and summoning fuckin METATRON to crush me. He even gets his own battle music which is pretty loving good (and I wasn't really a fan of the OST)

TO people on the fence: I'd honestly say it's worth it just based on this alone, but then again I got my copy for free due to a giftcard, so theres no buyers remorse. :v:

I was thinking about putting this down but god drat.

Getting back to playing it right now.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

Multiple choice dialog options always make Bioware player characters sound totally schizophrenic. I'm not allergic to it or anything but I don't think it's the best possible design option.

I think this is less a problem with the dialogue system and more A)Bioware's inability to write dialogue that isn't terrible and B)their insistence on karma systems that require "good" and "evil" choices at every junction, rather than just different, reasonable conversation choices.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Have I mentioned that Yuzu was one of my favorite characters? Because jesus loving christ, she just made my top 10 favorite Atlus game characters.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
Well day 8 sounds awesome..sigh. Oh well. Could someone list me the new demons in Overclocked? Is it a bunch of low level crap or anything interesting?

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Rinkles posted:

This is amazing.

If I may contribute something odd myself, following the Strange Journey LP has informed me that there are way too many angels.

I cannot remedy that, so here is a barong dressed as lu bu.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Well day 8 sounds awesome..sigh. Oh well. Could someone list me the new demons in Overclocked? Is it a bunch of low level crap or anything interesting?

All the new demons (at least the ones I saw) were all around the 70~ range. I never even saw one (although I did have the option to fuse one or two) outside the 8th day so I think it's just relegated to there. They seem to be made for the game as well. (or at least haven't appeared in the more recent games like Nocturne, DDS, etc) Although I wouldn't say any that I encountered were really interesting or anything. Just heavy magic and phys hitters without any neat tricks really.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
Ordered Devil Survivor Overclocked and Strange Journey today. Those should last me until next year, right? Plenty of hours of Persona 5 wait time to be killed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

All the new demons (at least the ones I saw) were all around the 70~ range. I never even saw one (although I did have the option to fuse one or two) outside the 8th day so I think it's just relegated to there. They seem to be made for the game as well. (or at least haven't appeared in the more recent games like Nocturne, DDS, etc) Although I wouldn't say any that I encountered were really interesting or anything. Just heavy magic and phys hitters without any neat tricks really.

There are new moves too, but they're mostly pretty bland. I'd also bet cash every single one is in Devil Survivor 2.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, I'd be willing to bet that while there may be a few new boss-type monsters, most of the "new" ones in Overclocked are really old ones they're recycling. I'd have to see a list to be sure.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

There are new moves too, but they're mostly pretty bland. I'd also bet cash every single one is in Devil Survivor 2.

Oh right I forgot about those. Only one really stood out to me, and that's Multi-strike. And boy does that poo poo loving hurt if you slap it on a high AGI demon.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Devil Survivor's story becomes much better when you play it during an actual disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

TurnipFritter posted:

Yeah, I'd be willing to bet that while there may be a few new boss-type monsters, most of the "new" ones in Overclocked are really old ones they're recycling. I'd have to see a list to be sure.

Yeah it's pretty much this, however there are a few brand new demons. On another note, what was Atlus thinking when they made the demon's voiced lines simply be generic grunts/sounds. I mean yeah, Jack Frost's HEEEE-HOOOO is cute, but when everyone else is voiced and the major boss I'm fighting speaks in a grunt it's kind of offsetting. Especially noticeable is Loki, who has voiced lines in his human form, then turns into his demon form and suddenly doesn't have voiced lines.