Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Is there a real study on that or is it one of those common knowledge kinds of things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Is there a real study on that or is it one of those common knowledge kinds of things?

Real study (UK based though). The fact is that though you might experience a large drop in net wealth, your income pretty much stays the same and your reduced living costs actually mean that once you've settled into new accomodation you will usually expect to end up with more disposable income per month than you had before.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Interesting, never heard that....*clears internet cache contacts a lawyer* ;)

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Alchenar posted:

Real study (UK based though). The fact is that though you might experience a large drop in net wealth, your income pretty much stays the same and your reduced living costs actually mean that once you've settled into new accommodation you will usually expect to end up with more disposable income per month than you had before.

Honestly I hadn't considered it this way and appreciate you bringing it up. I mean I kind of knew she would financially gently caress herself again and that gave me a bit of solace but it only goes so far when you're losing everything you've worked for.

Gabriel I totally get that there are situations where the ex-wife should fully be entitled to things like spousal support and even getting half a retirement account, but it shouldn't be a blanket rule across ALL marriages. I was married to a crazy bitch in an arranged marriage for under 5 years where she contributed literally nothing to the marriage financially. Its insane to me that the court would assign her half of all my assets simply because, well, thems the rules.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

visuvius posted:

an arranged marriage
What difference does it make how you decided to marry this person? The courts don't care, and they shouldn't. You weren't forced to enter into a contract with this person.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

visuvius posted:

Yeah okay its community property.
Are you SURE?
drat man, this is half your stuff, talk to a lawyer, not the internet.
I'm a criminal lawyer, I don't know poo poo about family law

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

nm posted:

Are you SURE?
drat man, this is half your stuff, talk to a lawyer, not the internet.
I'm a criminal lawyer, I don't know poo poo about family law

This. Don't concede the issue until you've talked to someone who does this all day every day and has been given specific insight into your factual situation.

Put another way, consult with us and we'll be happy to tell you "Yeah, sounds like your pipes are busted, you need to get them repaired." That isn't the same thing as having a plumber come out and look at your pipes and put in new ones.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cruseydr posted:

You weren't forced to enter into a contract with this person.

Not very familiar with eastern cultures are you?

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

I can't hear it when you talk about John Druce

visuvius posted:

I was married to a crazy bitch in an arranged marriage for under 5 years where she contributed literally nothing to the marriage financially. Its insane to me that the court would assign her half of all my assets simply because, well, thems the rules.

That's the whole point though - the decision for one person to be the breadwinner and the other to play the role of stay-at-home mom (or dad) is made jointly. Presumably she contributed to the marriage in other ways.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Eh, I am currently stationed in California. My wife was driving to the store when an object impacted her windshield, leaving a large crater. It was very close to home, so she came back and told me about it. I asked her if she was following close behind a rock truck, etc and she said no, no other cars on the road. Figured "Oh well!" called my insurance and got patched through to their autoglass affiliate. After talking, it'll be about $100 after deductible + $20 for new windshield wipers (sucker for upsells).

We jump into my vehicle to go back to the store (gotta have biscuits with beef stew, windshields be damned) and I tell her to point out the spot where it happened. As we are driving by the golf course she says "Right here". There's a combination RV park with golf course right behind it, and the golf course bumps right up to the road. Sure as poo poo, there's a golf ball sitting near where the wife said her windshield got hit.

I take some pictures of the golf ball (with some guys in playing golf on the green as the backstop) snatch it up and go talk to the manager at the course. He claims that there is "No way a golf ball could have hit the road from there" etc etc. Now, I don't want him to cover a whole windshield (whoo hoo, $169 bucks or something) replacement, but if its his customers playing golf and one of them shoots a ball through my wife's windshield then I shouldn't be picking up the cost. I know he's probably got insurance for this sort of thing.

I'm assuming my only options are to take the owner to small claims court? Anything I should know or advice as I undertake my research? Thanks!

Edit: Don't know if it matters, but my home of residence is in Georgia, as is my wife's.

Ceros_X fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 27, 2011

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

visuvius posted:

Yeah okay its community property.

I guess I'm just astounded at how hosed up the laws can be.

The entire IRA and 401(k) amounts are community property to the extent you contributed to them after marriage. The amount beforehand isn't. So if you didn't start contributing to either until you two were married, well, yes, community property all the way.

But you probably want to a divorce attorney soon if this is a large amount you're worried about. Especially for the 401(k), which is trickier to divide.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

visuvius posted:

Gabriel I totally get that there are situations where the ex-wife should fully be entitled to things like spousal support and even getting half a retirement account, but it shouldn't be a blanket rule across ALL marriages. I was married to a crazy bitch in an arranged marriage for under 5 years where she contributed literally nothing to the marriage financially. Its insane to me that the court would assign her half of all my assets simply because, well, thems the rules.

Oh, okay. The fact that retirement assets are fair game seems to throw a lot of people (including me) until it's explained to them; I had assumed you were reacting more to that instead of the community property rule in general. Sorry to hear about your marriage situation :(

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.
Okay, my family has an issue. I don't want to make this story too long-winded because it is really complicated.

Basically, my uncle has power of attorney over my grandmother. They all live in the same house. My grandmother has a decent amount of money coming in every month from her pension, retirement and social security. She is getting very old and is suffering from alzheimer's. She has to be cared for by a nurse who comes by every day, which her insurance pays for at the moment.

The problem is the people that live in that drat house. My uncle has a good-paying job but can't get his poo poo together enough to not leech of of my grandma's money. My grandpa has officially lost his poo poo and is constantly screaming at my grandmother for nothing. He has hit her before. He was just talking the other day about how Truman had consulted with him on dropping "the bomb" on the "Japs". He's bat-poo poo insane.

My uncle has recently let some weirdo friend of his stay at the house for no rent, even though this guy has a job, too. He's a real dirtbag.

But the prize goes to my cousin (the uncle's daughter). She moved away with her 3 kids a while back. My grandpa has a settlement coming in and she's turned up again to leech off of it. She will likely be moving back in since her gang-banger husband went back to jail. She and her productive uterus have drained my grandparents of all of their savings and investments. She's never worked a day in her life. She's a parasite. When she was living at the house and just sitting around all day, she wouldn't raise a finger to take care of our grandma.

Anyway, the kids are back and the house is disgusting already. She lets the kids trash the house, leaving food ground into the carpet and poo poo everywhere. It's only a matter of time before my grandma trips over something and gets seriously hurt. And at that age, they don't usually bounce back.

We need some guidance. We live in Southern California. Like I said, my uncle has power of attorney, but can we file for guardianship and have that overrule what powers he has? We want to get her out of that house but we would have to either move to a bigger place or get her into a home and we would need control over her income to do so. The vultures over there are highly unlikely to let that go without a fight. My dad and I couldn't care less about the rest of the people in that house, we just want her to be comfortable and out of the awful situation.

I guess that was long-winded anyway, but do you have any suggestions here?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Not very familiar with eastern cultures are you?

There is a big difference between an arranged marriage and a forced marriage. Most arranged marriages are entered into quite voluntarily. There's no reason to automatically assume that people in arranged marriages were forced into it.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
So I did not go to law school (doing a PhD in computer security), but I still lurk the law goons thread thread for some reason, which brought me here.

My last landlord is dicking me over on the deposit. This is in the city of Pittsburgh, PA.

The backstory is pretty simple:

I called yesterday to politely remind the landlord he has 30 days to mail the deposit, and that elapses on Monday, so he might wanna get on it, since I was a bit tight on cash as a grad student.

He himmed and hawwed, and I told him point blank that I was going to insist he send it, that the future tenants had provided a security deposit, and I was providing him with a courtesy in case he forgot to mail the check - that if it hadn't arrived by Monday evening, I'd be within my rights to call the attorney general's office, and get a judgment from them for up to 2x the amount.

We cleaned the place, it was spotless. And I have pictures. When I moved out, I gave the landlord my keys and a copy of my forwarding address. I also put a copy of my forwarding address with the last month's rent. He mentioned verbally that, except for a fee to clean the carpets mentioned in the lease, (~75 bucks) we would receive our deposit ($1200 - one month's rent)

Anyways, PA seems to be pretty good with tenant law, but it looks like this is how it'll play out based on what I've read... I'll get a judgment, but collecting it will be a pain in the rear end. Most likely they'd put a lien on his car or something, and I'd wait years to see the money (and their might be a line of people in front of me waiting for it)

I was wondering, since someone in this thread might know: If I get a legal judgement, I can sell the debt right? To like, a collection agency? So maybe I get a judgment for 2400.00, and I sell it to a collection agency for half (which was the original deposit to begin with). I get my deposit back, and the landlord gets the joy of having debt collectors calling.

Is this a decent plan? The attorney general's office made it sound like they are great at getting a judgment, but collecting on it will be a major pain in the rear end, so this seems like an efficient way to get my refund (and subject the landlord to a collections agency, which would be kind of hilarious.

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 27, 2011

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Ceros_X posted:

I take some pictures of the golf ball (with some guys in playing golf on the green as the backstop) snatch it up and go talk to the manager at the course. He claims that there is "No way a golf ball could have hit the road from there" etc etc. Now, I don't want him to cover a whole windshield (whoo hoo, $169 bucks or something) replacement, but if its his customers playing golf and one of them shoots a ball through my wife's windshield then I shouldn't be picking up the cost. I know he's probably got insurance for this sort of thing.

I'm assuming my only options are to take the owner to small claims court? Anything I should know or advice as I undertake my research? Thanks!

Not a lawyer of any kind, but since you haven't gotten any input yet I'll throw this out there. A friend of mine (this is in CA) lives behind a golf course and finds balls on his property on a weekly basis. He has a few dings in his car, but nothing that he can prove came from one of those balls. When he looked into the issue, he discovered he's basically SOL. The golf course apparently has no responsibility for the actions of it's customers, so he'd have to (1) have decent evidence or witnesses that a particular ball actually dented his car, and (2) be able to link that ball with a particular golfer, and then sue that person. Essentially impossible.

Maybe it's different in GA or maybe my friend just got bad legal advice... Good luck.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

GregNorc posted:

I was wondering, since someone in this thread might know: If I get a legal judgement, I can sell the debt right? To like, a collection agency? So maybe I get a judgment for 2400.00, and I sell it to a collection agency for half (which was the original deposit to begin with). I get my deposit back, and the landlord gets the joy of having debt collectors calling.

My understanding is that you would assign the debt to an attorney with the agreement that he or she would take a percentage of the recovery, then give the rest back to you. That could be anywhere from 20% to 50%, depending on the amount and the attorney.

Though I don't practice debt collection, so take that with a grain of salt.

GregNorc posted:

Is this a decent plan? The attorney general's office made it sound like they are great at getting a judgment, but collecting on it will be a major pain in the rear end, so this seems like an efficient way to get my refund (and subject the landlord to a collections agency, which would be kind of hilarious.

Do you have a canceled check for any of the rent checks you paid? Then you know the bank your landlord uses from the deposit stamp on the back. Generally speaking, that would be enough information to go to court and effectively have the judgment enforced: you know where he banks and can ask the court to freeze his account until he pays up. (That wouldn't necessarily work in, e.g., California; here you can only go after the bank where the person physically opened the account, not any of its other branches. Don't know how that works for online only banks.)

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Choadmaster posted:

Not a lawyer of any kind, but since you haven't gotten any input yet I'll throw this out there. A friend of mine (this is in CA) lives behind a golf course and finds balls on his property on a weekly basis. He has a few dings in his car, but nothing that he can prove came from one of those balls. When he looked into the issue, he discovered he's basically SOL. The golf course apparently has no responsibility for the actions of it's customers, so he'd have to (1) have decent evidence or witnesses that a particular ball actually dented his car, and (2) be able to link that ball with a particular golfer, and then sue that person. Essentially impossible.

Maybe it's different in GA or maybe my friend just got bad legal advice... Good luck.

I appreciate the response, thanks! I'll just have to tell all my buddies the golf course sucks balls and the management there are jerks. Though with reviews like these I guess people have figured it out for themselves. http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/course.aspx?course=100245

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

ibntumart posted:

My understanding is that you would assign the debt to an attorney with the agreement that he or she would take a percentage of the recovery, then give the rest back to you. That could be anywhere from 20% to 50%, depending on the amount and the attorney.

Though I don't practice debt collection, so take that with a grain of salt.

Do you have a canceled check for any of the rent checks you paid? Then you know the bank your landlord uses from the deposit stamp on the back. Generally speaking, that would be enough information to go to court and effectively have the judgment enforced: you know where he banks and can ask the court to freeze his account until he pays up. (That wouldn't necessarily work in, e.g., California; here you can only go after the bank where the person physically opened the account, not any of its other branches. Don't know how that works for online only banks.)

I'd have to talk to my bank, but yeah, they should retain those most likely. And Pittsburgh is small enough the branch he banks at is probably the branch he opened the account at.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Walk Away posted:

Okay, my family has an issue. I don't want to make this story too long-winded because it is really complicated.

Basically, my uncle has power of attorney over my grandmother. They all live in the same house. My grandmother has a decent amount of money coming in every month from her pension, retirement and social security. She is getting very old and is suffering from alzheimer's. She has to be cared for by a nurse who comes by every day, which her insurance pays for at the moment.

The problem is the people that live in that drat house. My uncle has a good-paying job but can't get his poo poo together enough to not leech of of my grandma's money. My grandpa has officially lost his poo poo and is constantly screaming at my grandmother for nothing. He has hit her before. He was just talking the other day about how Truman had consulted with him on dropping "the bomb" on the "Japs". He's bat-poo poo insane.

My uncle has recently let some weirdo friend of his stay at the house for no rent, even though this guy has a job, too. He's a real dirtbag.

But the prize goes to my cousin (the uncle's daughter). She moved away with her 3 kids a while back. My grandpa has a settlement coming in and she's turned up again to leech off of it. She will likely be moving back in since her gang-banger husband went back to jail. She and her productive uterus have drained my grandparents of all of their savings and investments. She's never worked a day in her life. She's a parasite. When she was living at the house and just sitting around all day, she wouldn't raise a finger to take care of our grandma.

Anyway, the kids are back and the house is disgusting already. She lets the kids trash the house, leaving food ground into the carpet and poo poo everywhere. It's only a matter of time before my grandma trips over something and gets seriously hurt. And at that age, they don't usually bounce back.

We need some guidance. We live in Southern California. Like I said, my uncle has power of attorney, but can we file for guardianship and have that overrule what powers he has? We want to get her out of that house but we would have to either move to a bigger place or get her into a home and we would need control over her income to do so. The vultures over there are highly unlikely to let that go without a fight. My dad and I couldn't care less about the rest of the people in that house, we just want her to be comfortable and out of the awful situation.

I guess that was long-winded anyway, but do you have any suggestions here?

You can go to court and get a court-ordered guardianship, which will trump the power of attorney. You will have to convince the judge that your uncle is breaching his duty as a fiduciary under the power of attorney, which you can probably do by demanding that he produce an accounting of all of your frandmother's money that he has spent "on her behalf". If he doesn't produce an accounting, that's good for your case, and if he does produce an accounting, i'll bet it will be really crappy or it will provide evidence of mishandling of funds. An accounting usually requires the attorney-in-fact to provide bank statements, etc, so he can't just fudge the numbers.

Once you have the accounting, or even before if you think she's in physical danger or in a medically unsafe environment, you can go to court and argue that your uncle, by failing to monitor her home situation (ie, because uour grandpa hits her) and by failing to manage her finances for her benefit (ie, because he let's these other people mooch off her), has breached his duty as her attorney-in-fact and should be removed. In my state, you could win somewhat easily.

As her son, your father is probably permitted by law to seek review of your uncle's power of attorney.

So, yes, get the courts involved inf you want to protect your grandmother. It can certainly be done, but be prepared for a fight. Find a lawyer who has experience with something called "fiduciary litigation."n

Also, everything I have told you is true in my state, but I don't live in California so I am not certain how the rules work out there - but I would be really surprised if they didn't mostly follow what i've said.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

entris posted:

You can go to court and get a court-ordered guardianship, which will trump the power of attorney. You will have to convince the judge that your uncle is breaching his duty as a fiduciary under the power of attorney, which you can probably do by demanding that he produce an accounting of all of your frandmother's money that he has spent "on her behalf". If he doesn't produce an accounting, that's good for your case, and if he does produce an accounting, i'll bet it will be really crappy or it will provide evidence of mishandling of funds. An accounting usually requires the attorney-in-fact to provide bank statements, etc, so he can't just fudge the numbers.

Once you have the accounting, or even before if you think she's in physical danger or in a medically unsafe environment, you can go to court and argue that your uncle, by failing to monitor her home situation (ie, because uour grandpa hits her) and by failing to manage her finances for her benefit (ie, because he let's these other people mooch off her), has breached his duty as her attorney-in-fact and should be removed. In my state, you could win somewhat easily.

As her son, your father is probably permitted by law to seek review of your uncle's power of attorney.

So, yes, get the courts involved inf you want to protect your grandmother. It can certainly be done, but be prepared for a fight. Find a lawyer who has experience with something called "fiduciary litigation."n

Also, everything I have told you is true in my state, but I don't live in California so I am not certain how the rules work out there - but I would be really surprised if they didn't mostly follow what i've said.

Thank you very much.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

A big branch just fell off my tree and totaled my neighbors car because of Irene. I know for a fact that the trees are in bad shape. I don't even like the trees; I would rather have a big garden and the trees mess that up too. They were here when I bought the house 3 years ago and I am saving right now for the cost of getting them removed.

I had the following text message interaction yesterday:

Me: I don't trust my trees. :( Would you be able to move your cars out of the driveway to in front of your house. Cutting down those trees is a priority.

He wrote back: I am leaving shortly for the fire station so my truck won't be around. Only the cars we prefer to be totals will be parked under the trees.

His husband just called me and told me that he thinks their car is totaled and he will be putting in a claim when the storm ends. They are cool guys and I don't think they will try anything against me, but do I have to worry that their car insurance will try so sue me because it was my tree?

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Remove your post now. If there's evidence that you knew the trees were in bad shape and didn't do anything about it you'll be in deep poo poo if anyone decides to sue you.

Well actually never mind. You're hosed due to the text messages anyway.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

John McCain posted:

Remove your post now. If there's evidence that you knew the trees were in bad shape and didn't do anything about it you'll be in deep poo poo if anyone decides to sue you.

Well actually never mind. You're hosed due to the text messages anyway.

If anything the text messages gently caress his neighbour, not him.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alchenar posted:

If anything the text messages gently caress his neighbour, not him.

Yeah isn't that insurance fraud if he intends his cars to be totaled due to a storm by parking them in a risky position?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

baquerd posted:

Yeah isn't that insurance fraud if he intends his cars to be totaled due to a storm by parking them in a risky position?

Probably not fraud, but it might well limit his claim if he was explicitly warned and went 'ah don't care, will just claim for total loss when it happens'.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

They are not going to come after me. When they called me this morning they didn't seem all that upset. The only thing that worries me is if their insurance comes after me because it's my tree.

Of course their insurance won't have any idea that they were explicitly warned.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Do cell companies provide official records of SMS messages? That seems like it'd be helpful.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Javid posted:

Do cell companies provide official records of SMS messages? That seems like it'd be helpful.
In my experience in criminal law, some keep records of texts, others don't.
I think ATT did and T-mobile (or maybe sprint) didn't, but I don't recall.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I doubt it would be worth it to subpoena them for something like a totaled car though.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

So, can someone tell me a little bit about the process of making a complaint to the Department of Labor? I had a lot of issues with my old employer that are not getting resolved. When I called the AZ office of the DOL they told me I need to go in to the office in person to file a complaint, but that's 2.5 hours away for me, and I'm having enough trouble getting my money to put gas in my car for in town driving. :ohdear: Do I really need to go into the office? Should I just try to get someone else another day on the phone?

Also, if someone taxed their employee as if they were tipped and then withheld the tips, what recourse would that employee have? I didn't get my cash tips like I usually do, but they were still reported on my check. It's no small amount, as a majority of my income is from tips, and it took a big chunk out of my below minimum wage paycheck.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
You might have better luck with your state's Labor Department rather the federal DOL. Arizona's Labor Department is part of the Industrial Commission of Arizona.

This is a link to both contact information and the wage claim form:
http://www.ica.state.az.us/Labor/Labor_WagClm_Wage_Claim_Forms.aspx

Omgawd
Apr 7, 2011
I just had a new lock cylinder put on the ignition of my car.

Over the phone i was told it was a 30 dollar "driving out there" fee, then labor or parts are assessed afterwards. I told the lady i was trying to price it out first, and i wanted to make sure it wouldnt be over 100, and she said it shouldn't be.

The guy spent about 45 minutes drilling on the old lock, put the new one on, didn't put anything else back together (I can do it myself, but still a tad offensive), and left.

Now my bank account has a 235 dollar charge pending on it. Oh and he used the 12 dollar replacement lock cylinder i had already bought, so absolutely no parts were used.

Did i just get hosed? Is it ok to charge someone over 200 dollars in labor/hour without letting them know what they're getting into?

I called the company to let them know and they quickly responded that 235 dollars for that kind of job is completely normal. I'm about to call my bank but i wanted to at least post about it before i go there.

EDIT I'll add this, he had me give him my credit card number and DL number before he left, but still told me of no charges. He said the main office would have to do that, call them or check my bank statement. I botched a couple numbers on my DL number and he didnt notice when he checked, from all i can tell anyway. Its shady as gently caress i tell ya.

Omgawd fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 29, 2011

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Call your bank and do a chargeback. You didn't authorize the $250 charge and you didn't sign anything, so they probably don't have a leg to stand on.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This is why you don't do dumb stuff like just give away your credit card details without getting an invoice first.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011
Guys, I have a question in regards to Labor Laws/Law System in Canada/Saskatchewan. Or in general.

I was working at a place and subsequently resigned. Anyways, 2 weeks later I get told there is damage to a UTV, and that i was found responsible. I told them via email i am not responsible for this damage, and would like my holiday pay to deduct two charges i agreed with from my holiday pay and to send it my way. But not the Vehicle Damage(which i did not cause). 2.5 months passed and i still had not received my holiday pay, or my t4's. I sent an email asking for it, and get told they will send me it in the mail. Okay done i figure. I get sent a bill for repairs to the UTV, and that they are holding my Holiday Pay (Which by Saskatchewan Labor Laws i am supposed to be getting 14 days after i left the job)

My Questions are, Is the company not supposed to approach me regards to fixing these "Damages", (in which i have no idea what they are, and have not been told). So i can be told options and search for the best choice to fix said damages? (Again i did not cause these damages, and believe they were done before, whatever they may be. As the machine in question was used, and had issues when purchased) And can they legally go get it fixed without my consent and try to make me pay for it?

I have a meeting with the labor board tomorrow, but am looking for any form of incite in regards to the fact he is attempting to bring me to court over a 400 dollar repair bill.

Thanks Goons

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Okay, so I'm an idiot who got a DUI and lost her license for a year. I'm okay with this, I've done my week of house arrest and am ready to get on with my life, as is my fiance. However, between the two of us, I also have the better car, a 50k mile 2007 Honda Fit, versus his 200k 2001 Ford Focus with no sideview mirrors and a busted driver's seat. We'd like to give the Ford to his little sister who needs a car, but the problem comes when we try to insure my car under his name.

The phone jockey at Geico told my fiance that for him to insure my car under his name he'd have to pay to insure me as well, with my god awful DUI record and all. What I'm wondering is if there's a way to lease my car to my fiance for $0/month with the condition that at any time I can choose to end the lease in case of breakup, so that he can get insurance for his 'leased' car under his name. Would that be something we'd need to go to a lawyer for and pay a lot for, or would a lease agreement found by googling suffice? Basically, am I being stupid or crafty? Or stupidly crafty?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Effexxor posted:

The phone jockey at Geico told my fiance that for him to insure my car under his name he'd have to pay to insure me as well, with my god awful DUI record and all. What I'm wondering is if there's a way to lease my car to my fiance for $0/month with the condition that at any time I can choose to end the lease in case of breakup, so that he can get insurance for his 'leased' car under his name. Would that be something we'd need to go to a lawyer for and pay a lot for, or would a lease agreement found by googling suffice? Basically, am I being stupid or crafty? Or stupidly crafty?

It sounds like insurance fraud, to me. I wouldn't try that.

Why don't you check his car insurance policy, and see if it covers him when he's driving rental cars or other people's cars? Then he can drive your car under his current coverage without a problem.

You could transfer him the car outright - he is your fiance, after all. Then he really would own the car and might be able to get insurance without having to add you to the policy. You would want to transfer title officially an everything. If you're worried about a break-up or divorce, get yourself a pre-nup.

Mr.Showtime
Oct 22, 2006
I'm not going to say that

Ashekaban posted:

Guys, I have a question in regards to Labor Laws/Law System in Canada/Saskatchewan. Or in general.

I was working at a place and subsequently resigned. Anyways, 2 weeks later I get told there is damage to a UTV, and that i was found responsible. I told them via email i am not responsible for this damage, and would like my holiday pay to deduct two charges i agreed with from my holiday pay and to send it my way. But not the Vehicle Damage(which i did not cause). 2.5 months passed and i still had not received my holiday pay, or my t4's. I sent an email asking for it, and get told they will send me it in the mail. Okay done i figure. I get sent a bill for repairs to the UTV, and that they are holding my Holiday Pay (Which by Saskatchewan Labor Laws i am supposed to be getting 14 days after i left the job)

My Questions are, Is the company not supposed to approach me regards to fixing these "Damages", (in which i have no idea what they are, and have not been told). So i can be told options and search for the best choice to fix said damages? (Again i did not cause these damages, and believe they were done before, whatever they may be. As the machine in question was used, and had issues when purchased) And can they legally go get it fixed without my consent and try to make me pay for it?

I have a meeting with the labor board tomorrow, but am looking for any form of incite in regards to the fact he is attempting to bring me to court over a 400 dollar repair bill.

Thanks Goons

Don't pay any of it, its illegal for them to charge you for damages to property. Don't pay for the other damages either and if you have you can file a wage dispute within one year, but IANAL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wertjoe
May 10, 2007

So a couple of nights ago I got the most bullshit ticket of all time. I was driving minding my own business when a cop did the classic cop tailgating tactic to get me to speed. When that didn't work he just pulled me over anyways. Aside from him being a giant bag of dicks to me he asked me to provide my license and proof of insurance (I live in Missouri where you have to have insurance). While I was looking for my insurance card he just walked back to his car and then came back with a ticket for not having insurance! Seriously I had the loving card in my hand when he came back!

"Hey heres my insurance if you still wanted to see it."
"No I dont. Here is a citation for not having insurance. You can show that to the judge."
"What."
"Have a nice night sir"

and then he drove away.

Anywho, I'm not really sure what I can do about this other than wait for my court date and show the judge my insurance card. How does that kind of stuff typically go? I've never had a ticket before and I've never been to court.