Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Welp I beat Opposing Force, the only Half-Life related anything I'd yet to have played. It was pretty good I guess but there were some incredibly frustrating parts. First off that was probably the hardest game related to Valve I've ever played. The special ops fights loving sucked since they would just rail on you in an instant, all of your weapons were inaccurate as gently caress, and headshots didn't do anything. I really hated all of those segments.

The new weapons and alien enemies were cool though. I loved the rocket launcher that you literally fed to reload. All in all it was a good expansion that really shows its age with terrible human fights and really lovely platforming sequences. Oh and ladders. gently caress ladders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Golbez posted:

Split the difference and only restart each level from a save at the start whenever you die? I did that once for Tomb Raider, instead of saving after every tricky jump, and it got intense.

If you die,you restart the level from a pistol start. It's the classic Doom experience.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Yodzilla posted:

Welp I beat Opposing Force, the only Half-Life related anything I'd yet to have played. It was pretty good I guess but there were some incredibly frustrating parts. First off that was probably the hardest game related to Valve I've ever played. The special ops fights loving sucked since they would just rail on you in an instant, all of your weapons were inaccurate as gently caress, and headshots didn't do anything. I really hated all of those segments.

The new weapons and alien enemies were cool though. I loved the rocket launcher that you literally fed to reload. All in all it was a good expansion that really shows its age with terrible human fights and really lovely platforming sequences. Oh and ladders. gently caress ladders.

Did you go through Half-Life first? I always thought OpFor was a continuation - I played it last immediately after finishing Half-Life and thought it was great.

At least in this game you have guns that will kill an Alien Grunt in 3-4 shots.

e. Also I wish I had your gaming time. It seems I have no time for games these days.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I don't usually have this much time, kinda downtime between projects and the weather has been rainy recently. :v:

But yeah the guns and the aliens are fine, they just made the special ops guys way, way too hard to kill and their way more accurate than any of your guns are. Grenade are worthless because you can barely throw them, they're bizarrely slow, and enemies run away so you pretty much just have to hope you've got sniper ammo and/or a heavy machine gun.

The rest of the game was fine.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!

Yodzilla posted:

The best weapon is the barnacle, pushing people to you to eat them and using the weapon to fly to a place. Its also a great fun to use it on Multiplayer, there are still some servers without bots out there.

bbcisdabomb posted:

Did you go through Half-Life first? I always thought OpFor was a continuation - I played it last immediately after finishing Half-Life and thought it was great.

At least in this game you have guns that will kill an Alien Grunt in 3-4 shots.

e. Also I wish I had your gaming time. It seems I have no time for games these days.

:spergin: alert
I guess its a continuation, but its not canon, or rather, its semi-canon, whatever the guys at Valve want to make Canon is canon. (Ex: The explosion at the end)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SGRaaize posted:

The best weapon is the barnacle, pushing people to you to eat them and using the weapon to fly to a place. Its also a great fun to use it on Multiplayer, there are still some servers without bots out there.

I guess its a continuation, but its not canon, or rather, its semi-canon, whatever the guys at Valve want to make Canon is canon. (Ex: The explosion at the end)

:spergin: Well, technically, it's not so much a continuation as a concurrent expansion. You can actually run into Gordon Freeman at least once in the game, before he teleports to Xen.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

I don't usually have this much time, kinda downtime between projects and the weather has been rainy recently. :v:

But yeah the guns and the aliens are fine, they just made the special ops guys way, way too hard to kill and their way more accurate than any of your guns are. Grenade are worthless because you can barely throw them, they're bizarrely slow, and enemies run away so you pretty much just have to hope you've got sniper ammo and/or a heavy machine gun.

The rest of the game was fine.

You've played blue shift? It's short but not too bad.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah Blue Shift was a cool alternate storyline while Half-Life was taking place. I do remember it being mad short and not a whole lot if anything new added to it besides levels and story.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Platypus Farm posted:

Killing Time's actually not a bad game. I played it on 3d0 way back in the day and the framerate was abysmal but the huge variety of weapons and monsters made it a lot of fun!

Apparently, the 3DO and PC versions are very different. I played the PC version a while back and I remember it as being quite good.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah Blue Shift was a cool alternate storyline while Half-Life was taking place. I do remember it being mad short and not a whole lot if anything new added to it besides levels and story.

It was more puzzley right? I remember thinking it was kind of neat. But only kind of.

Dogan
Aug 2, 2006
I'd like to throw up two more great Marathon mods to put in the OP:

Marathon EVIL: This is probably my favorite scenario mod for Marathon, because of its combination of awesome weapons + enemies that can actually freak you the hell out. Also makes for some great multiplayer/co-op if you can convince your friends to play it.

Marathon RED: This is one of the other "major overhaul" mods that comes to mind for me. The design is lacking in a few places (granted, it was just 1 guy doing all the work), but it does have a lot of neat parts - particularly with the cyborg/bio-engineered creature plotline that goes on.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Heretic > Hexen. Always and forever. That being said, Hexen 2 blows Hexen out of the water. It has a lot more open ended feel, and I like the classes better.

Op4 is great! One of the better addons for a game that was so popular. Hugely better than Blueshift, ugh.

Did you guys know people STILL play Earth Special Forces? Amazing.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
e. ^^ I liked BS a lot. After the stupid overpowered weapons and enemies in OpFor, running down corridors and shotgunning Vortigaunts was a refreshing change of pace.

SGRaaize posted:

I meant a continuation of the gameplay mechanics :shobon: Bigger and better guns, badder and more intelligent enemies, etc. I never really had a problem with the other humans , they were just as weak to a point-blank shotgun blast as anything else.

gently caress that Voltigore maze at the end, though. I always noclip through it and never felt bad.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Yodzilla posted:

It added the better models/textures for use in both it and HL itself.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

trandorian posted:

It added the better models/textures for use in both it and HL itself.

It's really a shame that Half-Life Source can't benefit from those updated models.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dogan posted:

I'd like to throw up two more great Marathon mods to put in the OP:
Cheers, adding now.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's really a shame that Half-Life Source can't benefit from those updated models.
I could have swore I saw a port of those models to Source at some point, but that may have been a Garry's Mod thing.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
The bit that always sticks in my mind from Opfor was that sodding darkened sewer bit with the giant bug monster things. I must have died over a hundred times there.

It was developed by Gearbox so I'm not sure how much of it that Valve have included in their 'official' story of HL. I'm not generally a fan of Gearbox but Opfor was ok, apart from the aforementioned maddeningly frustrating moments.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah I completely godmoded through that part. I've got no problem with cheating through immensly frustrating poo poo like that in old games.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Since I just beat the game, I remember that part well. I think the intention was "put on your night vision goggles with F and just run through and not fight a single one". It worked perfectly, and was pretty intense and fun. I did die once or twice, but it was probably the way it was meant to be handled.

Actually, I think I fired a few shots to draw them around one side of the tunnel, then ran around the back and gave them the slip. :ninja:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rather Dashing posted:

The bit that always sticks in my mind from Opfor was that sodding darkened sewer bit with the giant bug monster things. I must have died over a hundred times there.

It was developed by Gearbox so I'm not sure how much of it that Valve have included in their 'official' story of HL. I'm not generally a fan of Gearbox but Opfor was ok, apart from the aforementioned maddeningly frustrating moments.

As far as I recall, Valve hasn't come out and officially said it's canon, but they haven't contradicted it either.

That said, there's not much in Op4 that would really have an effect on the wider Half-Life setting, apart from Black Mesa being nuked and Adrian Shepard being put in stasis by the G-Man. We haven't seen any of the enemies from Op4 return, but then, we haven't seen snarks or controllers since HL1, either. Ditto the weapons - HL2 is missing all of the cool weapons from Op4, but it's also missing all of the cool weapons from HL1.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
:spergin: Alert
Actually, it has been contradicted, pretty much.

These two articles might interest spergers regarding Canon storyline like me:

Marc Laidlaw posted:

We had a lot of conversations with Gearbox concerning the creation of Opposing Force and Blue Shift, and I supplied them with various documents that fleshed out background elements that hadn't been woven directly into the foreground of Half-Life. The place where you see this most clearly is in Barney's odyssey to Xen, where a bit more light is shed on the Xen-relay teleport experiments. Some of the reason for the overlapping narratives was that it made sense for Gearbox to reuse existing content, such as textures and design motifs, since they had limited schedules for producing these games. Most of the moment-to-moment gameplay and story decisions were left in Gearbox's hands, and we merely tried to make sure they dovetailed with our own designs and didn't create any huge conflicts. Gearbox, as fans of the original, had a good eye for places where their stories could overlap with Half-Life, but even so, they took plenty of liberties with the story for the sake of making a fun game. Fun in a game is ultimately more important than consistency.

Marc Laidlaw posted:

Dear Bradley,

I don't really need to see or comment on comments or opinions of this sort...there's just too much of it out there to get involved in. However, as I've said in the past, Gearbox got its initial concept for OpFor from us (Gabe suggested the parallel story as a way to prevent them from having to build new resources, and because there's something cool about the Rashomon approach). Gearbox disagreed with us on some major elements (for instance, it felt important that they make Adrian and his squad "good guys" by forcing a confrontation early on with the "bad guy" soldiers who've been killing everyone in HL). Randy felt this was unnecessary. So they really took over the story for themselves, while hitting on a few key moments that seemed like a good idea at the time. (Nuking Black Mesa for instance.) By the time they got to Blue Shift, we trusted them enough to have a freer hand with the materials and we waited to see what they came up with--I remember being thoroughly delighted with it. Decay was another one where they just played around, and the only conversation I had with Randy about it was whether it would be okay to show the trash compactor sequence. As I recall, they wanted to do this as an homage, and I was a bit worried they were wearing out people's interest by reworking on HL material, but as long as they didn't introduce any outright conflicts, then I didn't object. Basically, we trusted them to be good game designers, and gave them a lot of freedom without worrying about how we were going to make sense of this later. We did not have anything like the final version of HL2 worked out in our minds at the time, so we couldn't exactly say "You can't do that because that makes no sense to the Combine timeline we have planned." We didn't have a Combine timeline. Finally, there was to have been yet another parallel story told from the point of view of a "Junior G-Man," which was partly prototyped by a crew that later formed the core of Infinity Ward. This turned into a game where you went through Black Mesa with the Team Fortress characters as sidekicks. The fact that we treated this idea seriously should give you a pretty good sense of how little we worried about canon or consistency at the time. It does not make sense to try and retrofit any kind of consistency on those older games except insofar as they give us interesting fodder for making new games.

For what it's worth, the only thing I wrote in OpFor (insisted on writing) is the G-Man's dialog.

I wish this would end it here, but I'm sure I will get an almost identical email tomorrow from someone who did not read your post!

Well, it's all fun. I'm happy people can still get worked up about these completely fabricated characters and events.

Yours,
Marc

So, its basically in the same Semi-Canon thing the Star Wars Novels are. Its Canon until they decide it isn't. The only thing confirmed 100% Canon in the two expansions is that Black Mesa was indeed bombed, but not necessarily by G-Man.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

The Kins posted:

Cheers, adding now.
I could have swore I saw a port of those models to Source at some point, but that may have been a Garry's Mod thing.

http://www.gamebanana.com/games/312

You are correct, there's an HD pack or two or three somewhere in that section. There's a lot of things that can get HL Source looking pretty nice.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Hey SavageMessiah, I found a small bug in your front end. If you change to the Windows Classic theme on Windows 7, this happens:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
I remember there being an absolute poo poo engine that ran a few commercial games that was later licensed as the first cheap "make your own game using our engine!" engine. I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called or what the games were, but I remember them being god-awful yet I spent far too much time playing them as hey, more FPSes!

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Tim Thomas posted:

I remember there being an absolute poo poo engine that ran a few commercial games that was later licensed as the first cheap "make your own game using our engine!" engine. I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called or what the games were, but I remember them being god-awful yet I spent far too much time playing them as hey, more FPSes!
The Pie in the Sky engine?

My only map making experience has been in the mapmakers for the TimeSplitters games. That made me realize I'm not good at designing levels.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tim Thomas posted:

Did they look like this http://www.somethingawful.com/d/game-reviews/lifes-battle.php?page=1 ?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Fun fact I haven't seen mentioned: Quake II wasn't originally a Quake game, it was going to be a new intellectual property but the name they wanted was already taken.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TOOT BOOT posted:

Fun fact I haven't seen mentioned: Quake II wasn't originally a Quake game, it was going to be a new intellectual property but the name they wanted was already taken.

I think this kind of goes without saying, considering the games literally have nothing to do with each other whatsoever aside from the engines they run on.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

SGRaaize posted:

I actually met gabe at a VGL concert in Seattle and asked him if Cpl. Shepard would return after Episode 3. I forget his exact answer, as it was in Jan. 2009, but it was definitely an affirmative. I doubt anyone will believe it, but hey, meeting Gabe was rewarding in itself. Dude's awesome.

(op4 is probably one of my favorite expansion packs of all time, qtiyd)

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

I actually met gabe at a VGL concert in Seattle and asked him if Cpl. Shepard would return after Episode 3. I forget his exact answer, as it was in Jan. 2009, but it was definitely an affirmative. I doubt anyone will believe it, but hey, meeting Gabe was rewarding in itself. Dude's awesome.

I can believe you, actually, because Gabe has stated multiple times before on interviews he has an interest on bringing Shepard back eventually, and I think we were originally supposed to meet him on Half Life 2.

The only point I'm trying to make is that you can pretty much ignore everything that happened in the two games, unless Valve decides to actually make them canon.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

The biggest problem I have with it is that it's way too easy. I played it for like an hour and then decided to restart and do a wrench only run, without taking a single point of damage. Pretty sure I had to abandon it at the very end because you need projectiles for something.

So yeah that was my first and only runthrough, and that was right after it came out.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Mak0rz posted:

I think this kind of goes without saying, considering the games literally have nothing to do with each other whatsoever aside from the engines they run on.

Source on this? I actually did not know this fact. I always assumed that since Doom and Quake had no basis in actual reality and both featured enemy AI that made zero sense anyway, that they just made up a bunch more nonsense for Quake 2 and called it a day.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Doom 64 EX has been given a major update, with complete UI and audio system overhauls. If you're some kind of nerd the author has also released a technical document examining the N64 game's engine.

You'll need an N64 ROM to play it, though.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Essobie posted:

Source on this? I actually did not know this fact. I always assumed that since Doom and Quake had no basis in actual reality and both featured enemy AI that made zero sense anyway, that they just made up a bunch more nonsense for Quake 2 and called it a day.

http://www.team5150.com/~andrew/carmack/johnc_interview_2007_QuakeCon_2007__John_Carmack_Talks_Rage__id_Tech_5_And_More.html

"The old story was that Quake II which has nothing to do with Quake I was going to be a completely different name, but we got fed up with getting the names rejected so we said, "Dammit, it's Quake II. We own that trademark."" - Carmack

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
I like to imagine that Barney in Half-Life 2 is the one security guard you didn't kill and he never figured out that you murdered all of his coworkers.

Meck Pomses
Jan 7, 2011

I QUESTIONED BUYING AN AVATAR WHEN I GET A FREE "STUPID NEWBIE" ONE WHEN REGISTERING SO SOMEONE GAVE ME FANART OF BIG BOSS DRESSED AS BAYONETTA DRAWN BY N ARTIST WHO TRIED TO MAKE A COLLABORATIVE BBW FIGHTING GAME FOR MY AVATAR OUT OF SPITE

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

"The old story was that Quake II which has nothing to do with Quake I was going to be a completely different name, but we got fed up with getting the names rejected so ..." - Carmack

I always wondered what that originally intended name for Quake II was. Something that sounded too similar to a movie franchise maybe? I'm sure it was a short name, since id Software always liked short and sweet one-sillable names for their games (Doom, Quake, Rage...)

Duke Jan
Dec 27, 2009

AGITATING SKELETON

moms pubis posted:

I like to imagine that Barney in Half-Life 2 is the one security guard you didn't kill and he never figured out that you murdered all of his coworkers.

I always assumed he was the same guy as the one from Blue Shift. Has this ever been confirmed or is Blue Shift just as 'half-canon' as Opposing Force?

Shadowborn
Jun 2, 2007

Ripe with radiation!

Duke Jan posted:

I always assumed he was the same guy as the one from Blue Shift. Has this ever been confirmed or is Blue Shift just as 'half-canon' as Opposing Force?

It's supposed to be. The guy in Blue Shift is named Barney Calhoun, so I guess Valve incorporated that into the canon.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

TOOT BOOT posted:

Hey SavageMessiah, I found a small bug in your front end. If you change to the Windows Classic theme on Windows 7, this happens:

Thanks, I put in a ticket on github for it so I don't forget about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

trandorian posted:

Did they look like this http://www.somethingawful.com/d/game-reviews/lifes-battle.php?page=1 ?

Oh man, I actually have this buried in a folder on my hard drive from a decade ago. If anyone wants to jump over hurdles and dodge broken Jeeps FOR JESUS, here you go. It's an old DOS game so you probably need DOSBox. There is no sound so don't bother trying to get it to work.