Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
After almost a decade of underpaid jobs and recently being laid off, I somehow landed a real job at one of my favorite companies on earth.
(This was actually on Thursday, but I'm still awestruck)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I picked ten pounds of blueberries in half an hour. I'm down to like six pounds and I am not stopping. Next weekend the girlfriend and I are going back. I will not poop properly for the next few weeks. Worth it.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Not today, but on Friday my sister will be back stateside after working in Siberia for the summer.
I'm so excited to see her :woop:
The excitement kicked in today because now that poo poo is happening this week.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

copy of a has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Aug 22, 2011

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
My college's game of Humans vs. Zombies starts today. I have been waiting for this since the first day I heard about it.

EDIT: And my new phone came. So long, crappy piece of poo poo phone from the early 2000's.

The Jumpoff has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Aug 23, 2011

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.
Two Fridays ago I went to Hoboken to go to a bar with some friends. During the night, I lost my wallet. It was a super pain to cancel everything, and try to get new stuff.

Today, in the mail, I got an envelope filled with the contents of my wallet! No actual wallet or money, but it's pretty cool that someone went out of their way to mail me my library card and whatnot.

Arc Rectifier
Mar 25, 2007

Because AC won't rectify itself.
As I got home from work, a guy was tearing up the gross hall carpet where someone took a leak a while back. Yay, I thought, about drat time, that poo poo is gross. (I live on the edge of the ghetto in Baltimore. Half a mile away from a bunch of the poo poo you probably saw in The Wire.)

Guy grins at me and says he'll have the job done tomorrow and is stripping and bleaching out the underlying floor so the smell will be gone permanently. Yay? And then he says that the landlords asked him to take care of it with extra effort and so on because they didn't want me to move out. He said that a bunch of times.

I'm not by any means a good tenant, I'm a loving slob and I smoke, but I pay rent on time and I've been there a while. I've been sort of frightened that one day they'll evict me for being a slobby smoker or something; the annual housing inspection is a horrible prospect. It's lovely to know my landlords REALLY WANT me to stick around, and as long as they don't raise the rent I see no reason to move. A stupid small thing, but it kind of made me happy.

Well, that and getting carded at the liquor store AGAIN. At 31 I find it awfully sweet when cashiers card me.

And being asked to take on the position of managing editor for my university's newspaper didn't hurt. But the landlord thing was the main awesomeness.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Just had a root beer float. That seems pretty insignificant but it was delicious and is making me feel better about having to be at the lab for 12 hours tomorrow.

Nimchook
Sep 2, 2009

Katajjaq World Champion
It was cool enough outside today that I wanted to wear a sweatshirt!

Also, a friend who works at Starbucks brought like $40 worth of pastries to our house this evening. I love baked goods.

Caramaline
Aug 4, 2006

Takin' a dirt nap with baby Jesus
I made meatloaf for dinner tonight. It's one of my favourite comfort foods and it turned out just the way my Dad used to make it. Now I can have meatloaf and hot sauce sandwiches for a week. Awesome.

That Guy from Tech
Aug 13, 2011

Yeah I'll fix your computer... After this heroic...
I just went on an hour long walk with a girl I met a few nights ago. We had a very down to earth conversation about where we were from and how the biggest thing we would miss from living in the middle of nowhere is the stars at night. We both go to Uni and it's always too light out to see them.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Got paid today from my crappy part-time job. While payday, in-and-of itself is cool, I have been thinking of maybe getting another, better job. Today, I get a phone call from a place I applied a month ago, that I really wanted to work at, asking if I'm still interested. Interview for tomorrow! :D

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
I'm a recent college graduate and as of today, I finally know for sure what I'm going to be doing once my student work position ends in a week. :) I was offered a job and I accepted! I'm calling HR tomorrow to schedule all the paperwork and I started looking for housing tonight. It's nice to finally KNOW.

Lackadaisical has a new favorite as of 07:06 on Aug 23, 2011

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Over the course of the past weekend, I've given my boss my two weeks notice (lovely, 72 hr/week job) met the girl of my dreams, re-enrolled to finish my degree and finished repairing my favorite guitar. Even though I'm not yet certain of a job past the 1st of next month, I feel like I've actually improved my life significantly. At the very least, I'm not gonna be working 12 hours a day for just a smidge over minimum wage.

Spaticus
Feb 26, 2007

Understanding what thread you're in is futile the monkey said as it double-clicked the report button.
Not a cloud in the sky and it's about 70 degrees out. Made my day.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I got promoted today! And it's not more responsibility, just a change in title, but it does mean a 14% raise! I was expecting 5% or so. I knew the promotion was coming, but not how big the raise would be.

Bannock
Feb 3, 2008
Rocking the Reservation in Stereo.
I got just a couple days left until I'm off for a month to go work with my dad and brother, a nice change from an office job to working out on the lake fishing for a month. I look forward to a change of scenery and getting away from everyone and everything for awhile.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I found the only bottle of Fowl Play from the new Birds of a Feather collection at Ulta hiding in a rack of other nail polishes and then I found out Qdoba has a Coke Revolution machine so I am having tacos and peach Sprite. :buddy:

I also got a package from my mother. :3: And my new job is pretty good so far, today people gave me 3 cookies so far! Whee!

(next time I am making peach raspberry Sprite in a big drink container dangit!)

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

I learned that my university's choir is doing both Mozart's Requiem and Rachmaninoff's Vespers this year. The former is just awesome by itself, but I've wanted to sing the latter since high school. This year is going to be magnificent.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.
So yesterday I went to the seaside and then went to see The National. This morning I went to the royal mail delivery office this morning to collect my new handbag (a bargain, it was reduced from £50 to £13 on Amazon), its lovely and sunny today again. Picked up some bacon, rolls and a latte on the way back for breakfast plus some steak for dinner. Off work until monday so am feeling very relaxed.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
I'm getting a lot better at golf. You'd think I'd already be good after working at golf courses for the past 7 years but I just started playing regularly. I played 9 holes last night and never made anything better than a bogey but on the last hole a guy told me to play through him. I warned him saying I'm terrible and he said "oh well me too! Let's finish this one together!"

He hits his shot right in the water, and I loving bomb one 200 rights right down the middle. Total fluke and my best shot ever, but I felt both bad and awesome at the same time. I ended up making my only par of the round.

Also yesterday I helped my dad work in the garden. I love working outside and doing manual labor, and after 7 hours of that poo poo I felt pretty manly.

Now I just need a full time job :(.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Last night I grinded on and made out with some random hot girl and today I realized that in my new apartment I can take naps with chill music playing and not annoy my roommate. And it's goddamn Friday!

King of Crowns
Jul 15, 2004
BOY, I SURE AM ONE HELL OF A FUCK-UP!
I got offered two raises in a single week. One for my yearly review, one because they offered me a job with a higher payrate and less work. Bought an o of some ridiculous weed, and I just got my dick sucked by a random girl I met a few months ago.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

King of Crowns posted:

I got offered two raises in a single week. One for my yearly review, one because they offered me a job with a higher payrate and less work. Bought an o of some ridiculous weed, and I just got my dick sucked by a random girl I met a few months ago.

You don't sound like a gently caress-up at all! :v:

There was leftover pizza in the secretary's office today and I scored a couple slices :dance:

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

This forum and how it has been with me in all my free time for almost two years now. So welcome in a corporate job.
Casual Friday.
Finally getting and installing Internet for the apartment despite Comcast's best efforts.
Date night with the wife and two ciders with dinner.
A buddy lending us his truck to go to IKEA tomorrow so we can put the finishing touches on this place.
The weekend starting off right.
Edit: can't forget hearing Vin Scully is coming back.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
I took the day off work to do all my pre-employment stuff for my new job, including filling out ALL the paperwork, getting drug tested and getting a physical done. I passed the physical, which is something I had been worried about all week! Now I just have to wait until it all clears in the next week or two and I can finally start working a REAL job :) Then it got better because my best friend had an interview today and HE got hired. I rarely get to see him anymore but we're celebrating and spending the day together tomorrow. Oh and my housemates are gone for the weekend. And if THAT weren't enough, I spent the evening downing beers and playing TF2. It doesn't get better than that.

Lackadaisical has a new favorite as of 07:37 on Aug 27, 2011

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Learning shibari, and it's coming out really well. I am very happy with how I'm progressing, maybe one day soon I can make something like this:

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/dbEzv.jpg
Also I get another person to practice on monday or tuesday so wooooo

Becoming a rope nerd is fun. :)

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
Slept in until noon because I wasn't home until nearly 3am. Really, really awesome date with an adorable guy that I've known for months. It never occurred to me to actually pursue him at all because I'm apparently really bad at reading people. Fortunately life took a weird little turn and yesterday happened. I like yesterday. We're going to repeat yesterday. A lot. I foresee more awesome days in my future.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
I slept in until noon today, and then went and got lunch (and dinner and breakfast and lunch for tomorrow) in the rain. It felt like a rite of passage for college.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm a History major who wants to work at a museum for a living, who lives in a small farm town with only 2 years IT for work experience, and have had no luck finding a job all summer. Opened the paper today and found an opening at a town museum two towns over looking for History majors with computer experience.

cranky pomme
Dec 30, 2008

Ahh! Here he comes!
Absolutely killed at a gig last night, and met a girl who's a) very smart, b) a redhead, and c) a lesbian. Went home with her last night, and we made breakfast together this morning. :3: We're going stargazing tonight.

Life is so good. So, so good. I love everything.

Spaticus
Feb 26, 2007

Understanding what thread you're in is futile the monkey said as it double-clicked the report button.
My mom found out that she was wrongfully terminated at her old job, and is going to sue them for it. See you in court, assholes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
A $300 brake job I needed on my car turned out to be less than $100. Nevermind that they said my timing belt needs to be fixed up sometime in the near future, which will run me about $850 :v:

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm a History major who wants to work at a museum for a living, who lives in a small farm town with only 2 years IT for work experience, and have had no luck finding a job all summer. Opened the paper today and found an opening at a town museum two towns over looking for History majors with computer experience.

I had always wondered where that line was from, and now that I've seen this...I still don't know.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Spaticus posted:

My mom found out that she was wrongfully terminated at her old job, and is going to sue them for it. See you in court, assholes.

Good luck with that. My dad used to be the union rep for the auto shop he worked at, so I've seen a few lawsuits over that kind of stuff. The company lawyer should back down if it's super clear cut, which actually happened to my dad when they tried to fire him for being too active in the union(basically they came up with bullshit reasons that would never hold up in court to try to scare him away, like equipment the shop was under contract to maintain breaking down), but if it's not, it'll be a hard fight. Make sure she knows the contract inside out.

C-Euro posted:

I had always wondered where that line was from, and now that I've seen this...I still don't know.

It's called The Enigma of Amigara Fault. It's a horror manga by Junji Ito. He's pretty good even if you don't like manga/anime. Think of him like John Carpenter/Evil Dead-era Raimi.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
My son came to live with me a few months ago, and I just had the perfect day with him.

It started with pancakes and kelbasa sausage. I made syrup from scratch, and added food coloring so we could have blood colored pancakes. we stabbed and cut at the pancakes while eating them, using bad lines from cheesy movies while doing so.

After eating the murder cakes, I started cleaning, and noticed he didn't do his chores yesterday. He's seventeen, so the only real punishment he gets is no computer. I tell him he cant use it for half a day, and he takes it in stride.

He decided to clean both his room and his bathroom, and that steamrolls into both of us cleaning the house, telling jokes, and talking about his new school and my new job. (which are both going swimmingly.)

Now that the house is spotless, he still has some time left before he can use his computer. We decided to assemble and prime his newest box of miniatures. he's still very new to painting but I really encourage him, he has fine motor skill problems and painting really helps him. I get them assembled and we both start painting, I always keep a miniature primed for myself so I can paint with him at times like these.

For him painting is usually a chore, due to his muscle problems and attention span. Something clicks today, and he is having a blast! He winds up painting well past the time he could have gone to his computer, and I spend the next three or so hours just joking and painting with him, while I expose him to all manner of strange music. He even keeps painting while I fry us up some chicken for lunch. He is really trying to paint his model well, and I show him some new painting techniques to try.

He completes his miniature, and it's the best he's ever done. He beams with genuine pride while I take pictures so he can send them to his mom. Afterword he starts playing minecraft while I cook us some steaks, with a little rice and pea side dish.

I would easily place this in my top ten days, the love and joy started when we woke up, and hasn't really ended. I'm gonna post this, and go hang out with him while he explains to me his latest castle build im mincraft.

Thats why my day was awesome today.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Go Dad go.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
I have a date tonight, and even if it goes completely horribly, at least I made some progress.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Got the internet sorted at the new apartment today, when we thought we'd have to go out of our way to be there sometime during the week (not fully moving until next weekend). Less awesome, but he gave me some line about service being down "nationwide," though the same ISP at our old apartment is working fine right now. I'll have to keep an eye on the new place's connection for the next couple days and bitch if things don't happen.

Also got to test out the new gigantic television I splurged on for the new place. Found out that the Xbox 360 will output both audio and video over HDMI like it should, which will cut down on a poo poo ton of cables in back. Also tried the built in Netflix app on the TV via the TV's wifi connection (what) and it worked great. I'll be hunting for a cheap antenna to try and pick up some broadcast HD channels.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm in Borders to see how good the markdowns are at this point.

As I walk in, I hear something familiar playing on the store's speakers. I realize I know the lyrics, but the name is escaping me. It hits me: Queen's The Prophet's Song. My goodness, no one ever plays that, even on more creative radio stations. You know what would be cool? If they played the next track... Whoa. They are. It's Love of My Life. The store plays the rest of A Night at the Opera and I have to keep myself from singing along to Good Company. A few minutes after they finish out the album, they then play Walk the Dinosaur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
I met her family. They love me, and her brother is loving awesome. I'm taking him out drinking this friday. :3: The little guy just turned 21, I am going to make him need to get his stomach pumped. Also she is loving awesome, seeing her makes my day awesome. Been together a month now. :)