Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
W.S.I.K.B.I.P. Aquaria?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Pierzak posted:

W.S.I.K.B.I.P. Aquaria?

The number keys are shortcuts to use your powers/change forms instantly.

All the messages on the walls can be translated by using the menu screen's transition from runes to english as a starting point. None of them are essential to the game though.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Pierzak posted:

W.S.I.K.B.I.P. Aquaria?

e;f,b on some of these

- You can use the number keys to instantly change forms, instead of using songs. Some would argue that it takes away some of the charm of the game, but... screw them.
- One of the Steam achievements is for learning all the recipes. It's a timesink and if you even remotely think you might go for it: don't use a food item if you are certain you can get more of it. Some of them are hard to obtain, I think some of them are even limited affairs so you could potentially screw yourself over.
- The game uses a made-up alphabet at times. You can gradually decipher it yourself (hint: start with the main menu) or just look up an image that has the Roman equivalent of each character. I suggest doing either of the two, since it adds to the game.
- There's a button to let your character spin, you can use this to shake off creatures that keep sticking to you.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Pierzak posted:

W.S.I.K.B.I.P. Aquaria?
You can deal with a lot of enemies by just putting up a shield and swimming past them -- blowing everything up is fun but really slows you down and in some places just isn't worth the effort.

You can add an extra shot to your charged burst in energy form by pushing off a wall or rolling (click again after dashing). Roll after pushing off a wall and you get three extra shots, twice as strong as a regular burst.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

Philosopher King posted:

Suikoden
For the love of god, don't step on the old mans grass.

This cracked me up, mainly because I remember me doing it YEARS ago.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
Will I be missing much if I play the new Deus Ex game without having played the original?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PlasticPaddy posted:

Will I be missing much if I play the new Deus Ex game without having played the original?

Aside from some in-jokes and call backs, nothing at all. It takes place before it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

al-azad posted:

Aside from some in-jokes and call backs, nothing at all. It takes place before it.
You should still play it, though. It's like 10$ on steam, and totally worth it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Well, yes, I should have mentioned that if you don't play it you're missing one of the best games of the past decade. The barrier of entry is kind of high with an opening level that scares off anyone not man enough to see it through.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
Having tried the Witcher and not really enjoying the combat, I'm trying to just power through it just for story reasons before starting The Witcher 2. Can I just set it to easy and ever really have any difficulties? Is there any mod I should get to help me power through it?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

al-azad posted:

Well, yes, I should have mentioned that if you don't play it you're missing one of the best games of the past decade. The barrier of entry is kind of high with an opening level that scares off anyone not man enough to see it through.

That's a bit of a misnomer. Deus Ex (1) has quite possibly the worst first level of any game I've ever played. It's bad enough that even after about 6 tries, I still can't get through it. The game tells you to explore, and then punishes you severely for trying to do that from the start. I guess it gets better, but I'm not sure I'll ever find out.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Im just kind of upset that there is no manual for Deus Ex 1 on Steam. I don't know what the hell half the stuff in my inventory does, and I think such a game really needs a manual

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

^^^ Your inventory will describe the items so I'm not sure what you'd need a manual for. If there's anything you're confused about you can post it and I'm sure one of us will fill you in though.

Kruller posted:

That's a bit of a misnomer. Deus Ex (1) has quite possibly the worst first level of any game I've ever played. It's bad enough that even after about 6 tries, I still can't get through it. The game tells you to explore, and then punishes you severely for trying to do that from the start. I guess it gets better, but I'm not sure I'll ever find out.

Nah even as a dumb teen I handled it pretty easily my first time. The only real problem is the starting combat skills are low enough that just fighting your way through is awkward but still doable.

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 28, 2011

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

tensai posted:

Having tried the Witcher and not really enjoying the combat, I'm trying to just power through it just for story reasons before starting The Witcher 2. Can I just set it to easy and ever really have any difficulties? Is there any mod I should get to help me power through it?

Easy is pretty easy. Later in the game enemies get tougher and you're going to need to use swallow potions to boost your vitality before going into battle but as long as you do that it's still pretty easy. You'll also occasionally find yourself getting stunlocked by some of the bitchier enemies. Wraiths are particularly annoying. There are attributes in I believe the stamina tree that reduce the chance (or effect, I could never figure it out) of pain, stun, and blinding, look into those. Also note that the willow potion makes it impossible for you to be knocked down, which helps for at least one boss, so it's not a bad idea to keep a few of those on hand.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kruller posted:

:stare: DX1's first level is fantastic and still one of my favorite levels of the game. And it most certainly does not punish you for exploring; there's all kinds of goodies to find, the enemies are all pretty weak and right from the start you have lots of options for disposing of or evading them.

As far as I can tell, all the people who rail against DX1's first level are people who went straight to DX from Doom or something, tried running in guns blazing, got their rear end kicked, and then never went back and replayed it once they figured out they aren't playing Doom. If you play something like Thief or System Shock first, DX's first level has a pleasantly familiar feel and is entertaining without being difficult.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Are there many references to Deus Ex 2 in the new Deus Ex game? I've started playing the second one, but I'm not sure if I can stomach it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

OilSlick posted:

Are there many references to Deus Ex 2 in the new Deus Ex game? I've started playing the second one, but I'm not sure if I can stomach it.

DX:HR is set before DX and DX:IW. From what I've heard there's the occasional in-joke or passing reference, but there's no plot dependencies or anything, so it'll make sense even if it's your first DX.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

ToxicFrog posted:

DX:HR is set before DX and DX:IW. From what I've heard there's the occasional in-joke or passing reference, but there's no plot dependencies or anything

What a shame.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

:stare: DX1's first level is fantastic and still one of my favorite levels of the game. And it most certainly does not punish you for exploring; there's all kinds of goodies to find, the enemies are all pretty weak and right from the start you have lots of options for disposing of or evading them.

As far as I can tell, all the people who rail against DX1's first level are people who went straight to DX from Doom or something, tried running in guns blazing, got their rear end kicked, and then never went back and replayed it once they figured out they aren't playing Doom. If you play something like Thief or System Shock first, DX's first level has a pleasantly familiar feel and is entertaining without being difficult.

It took me almost 10 tries to get into Deus Ex. I'm finally up to Battery Park now, able to get past it, but I don't get why the people who rail against anyone who doesn't like the game doesn't see the significant flaws the game has. It's graphically really dated, it's buggy (I get graphical glitches all the time), it's impossible to tell when you can stealth and when they will see you, combat is brutally hard (at least so far for me, maybe its skill related and will get better soon), and augmentations are pretty scarce so far at this point (I still only have the one I got from the top of the statue). I can see where there is potential, but for someone who didn't play it on release, it has its fair share of barriers, and I can see why a lot of people can't get into it.

vvv Yeah I'll give you that.

Palleon fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 28, 2011

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
At least we can all agree that even if the first level of Deus Ex is bad, it's not nearly as bad as the trial cave in Fallout 2, right?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Liberty Island doesn't force you along a single path unlike the Temple and you don't have the liberty or running past all the enemies. What I did in my first run was take the stun prod and systematically knock out every guard. The guards are pretty spaced out so you can avoid every single one of them except in the area where Gunter is but that's just a matter of blasting everyone inside or finding a passcode to the security system (there's like three or four strewn about) and having the turrets/disabling the cameras.

It's a long level but it was designed to stretch your legs and test your mettle after coming out of the long tutorial. They made a smart move by making the entirety of the tutorial and Liberty Island the demo. I think they even released Battery Park in its entirety as a second demo. They made certain in 2000 that everyone knew what they were getting into and it didn't stop it from being Game of the Year.

My advice to anyone is experiment. Quick save/quick load is your friend. Find the weapons you prefer, study enemy movement, find out the best distance for stealth because enemies have pretty narrow vision, and don't attack anyone unless they're by themselves. Oh, and watch out for the sniper in the shadows and take the GEP gun.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Palleon posted:

It took me almost 10 tries to get into Deus Ex. I'm finally up to Battery Park now, able to get past it, but I don't get why the people who rail against anyone who doesn't like the game doesn't see the significant flaws the game has. It's graphically really dated,

It's over a decade old at this point, so...yes?

quote:

it's buggy (I get graphical glitches all the time),

Might want to install the updated DX9 or DX10 renderer for it, then.

quote:

it's impossible to tell when you can stealth and when they will see you,

This is just untrue - hell, my very first run through DX was a stealth run. Are you expecting a Metal Gear Solid style minimap with glowing vision cones or something?

It's not hard: stay out of enemy lines of sight or, failing that, keep your distance and keep to the shadows; don't run; use silent weapons like the suppressed pistol, crossbow, or melee weapons.

quote:

combat is brutally hard (at least so far for me, maybe its skill related and will get better soon),

Your starting skills are pretty bad, yes, but it's not at all hard if you don't try to treat it like Doom or Quake. Use cover, go for headshots, take aim and let your crosshairs close up rather than blasting wildly.

Or, you know, sneak up behind people and one-shot them with the taser or blackjack, or get their attention and then lure them over to a friendly murderbot, or lay traps for them using crates of high explosives.

quote:

and augmentations are pretty scarce so far at this point (I still only have the one I got from the top of the statue).

Ok, this is a legit complaint. You don't get your first aug until the end of the level, and it isn't even one of the really fun ones. In general you'll find one aug per major area (so, one on liberty island, one in the Castle Clinton area, one in Hell's Kitchen, etc), which does feel drat slow starting out. It ramps up to some extent, by the end of Hong Kong it'll be giving you augs 2-4 at a time and you can fill out your collection pretty quickly.

On the other hand, the first level still gives you loads of toys to play with - off the top of my head, I can think of the crowbar, baton, taser, pistol, silenced pistol, rocket launcher, sniper rifle, crossbow, shotgun, gas and explosive grenades, and one-shot plasma pistol, plus non-combat devices like nightvision goggles and environmental funtimes like explosive crates and hacked turrets. gently caress, that's more hardware than some entire games have.

quote:

I can see where there is potential, but for someone who didn't play it on release, it has its fair share of barriers, and I can see why a lot of people can't get into it.

I'm not trying to argue that DX is without flaws. The voice acting is terrible, the graphics have, as you said, aged poorly, there's more than a few skill and aug balance issues, and the UI for aug use is terrible (although Biomod fixes the latter two).

What I'm railing against is this recurring idea that Liberty Island is somehow a bad level, no, the worst level in the game, no, the worst level in any game (after FO2's trial cave and Halo's library, anyways) - when, in my experience, all of these complaints fall into one of these categories:

- They're pissed because they ran in blasting away with the pistol like this is Doom and got their rear end kicked. (Or, more generally: they're pissed because they didn't play the tutorial, or the demo, or read any reviews or promotional materials, or talk to anyone who had played the game, and as a result were expecting a high-speed action FPS)
- They're pissed because they skipped the tutorial and have no idea how anything works.
- They're pissed because they have no augs and want to play the game as an unstoppable bionic superman from the word go.
- They're pissed because there isn't a giant glowing minimap beacon telling them where to go and what path to follow.

Now, in a lot of cases these people push through Liberty Island, and sometime between their first and second visits to UNATCO the game just "clicks" somehow and they start really enjoying it for what it is rather than hating it for what it isn't, was never meant to be, and doesn't pretend to be. But at this point they hate Liberty Island so much that they never return to it.

I stand by my statement that LI is a fantastic level and a great introduction to Deus Ex as a whole. It's big, but easy to navigate; it's nonlinear; it's open to a variety of both stealthy and combat approaches; and it has lots of hidden goodies to discover if you like exploring. Its biggest problem is the lack of augs - and, apparently, the fact that it doesn't come with two giant flashing signs, one saying PLAY THE TUTORIAL and one saying THIS GAME IS MORE LIKE THIEF OR SYSTEM SHOCK THAN DOOM OR HALF-LIFE.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 28, 2011

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

al-azad posted:

It's a long level but it was designed to stretch your legs and test your mettle after coming out of the long tutorial. They made a smart move by making the entirety of the tutorial and Liberty Island the demo. I think they even released Battery Park in its entirety as a second demo. They made certain in 2000 that everyone knew what they were getting into and it didn't stop it from being Game of the Year.

Well, it wasn't so much a second demo but more of an expansion for the demo. Also, it contained the entire Hell's Kitchen section! It ended when you blew up the generators in that warehouse and exited the place with the black helicopter. Several hours of gameplay.

I played the poo poo out of that demo, so I'm always a bit surprised at all the backlash the first section gets. Maybe it's because I always picked the crossbow with tranq darts in the beginning and had fun using hit-and-run tactics.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
I've just started on "Cthulhu Saves the World" and it doesn't seem clear to me how the insanity mechanic works.

Enemies take more damage when insane, or so the narrator says. I must assume that's literally what it does and that none of the enemies power are lost even though that would make sense.
Some enemies become more "dangerous". - Again the wording of the narrator. - What does that mean? Just more damage output or can they get new powers from being insane? Is it certain types of enemies that become stronger or is it different from encounter to encounter?

Also is it possible to tell by looking at the enemy if they have become more powerful due to being insane, because it is hard to compare when the enemies become stronger with each round.

I assume insanity is on or off, and that it doesn't stack on a single enemy.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.
Cthulu Saves the World.

Yes, insanity is an on or off status. It doesn't stack.

I beat the game without paying much attention to insanity status. From what I could tell, most enemies took more damage if they were insane, but possibly dished more out as well. I never saw a creature get a new ability from being insane. I did however, if I'm not mistaken, notice that the insanity mechanic caused some bosses to use different abilities.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

Vizrt posted:

I did however, if I'm not mistaken, notice that the insanity mechanic caused some bosses to use different abilities.

Do you mean that they focused more on some of their abilities or that they just completely forgo some of them? Like an enemy that would normally also heal suddenly only use its big fire spell, because it's motherfucking insane.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

Jarl posted:

Do you mean that they focused more on some of their abilities or that they just completely forgo some of them? Like an enemy that would normally also heal suddenly only use its big fire spell, because it's motherfucking insane.

There is at least one boss that when insane stops using an ability. This is pretty critical to beating them. Outside of that, I don't recall, but that one sticks out.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Alright, Goons, I have just completed my collection of Silent Hill. Before now I had only played Homecoming, but the internet has told me it sucks in comparison to the first four games, which began my trip to Amazon. Right now Silent Hill 1 for the PSX is in my Playstation 3 and I am going to start it once the sun goes down. Typically I am close to pissing myself about scary games, but my cojones are large tonight. Is there anything I should know before starting?

Edit: Changed wording of sentence to sound like something I would actually say.

Earnestly fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 28, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
The first level of DX is one of my favorite in the game. If you guys are having trouble with it though the best thing to know is how to sneak around and knock people out.

1. Find a guard and get behind him. NPCs have fairly short visual ranges which gets even shorter if you're in the dark. They also have very bad reaction times, so if one sees you for a second ("what was that?") you can quickly duck behind a wall and they'll be none the wiser. They have decent hearing, though, so don't get too close even if they can't see you, especially if you are on a loud material like metal or tile (but even grass will alert them).
2. Quicksave.
3. Crouch (ctrl) up to him til youre right behind him. NPCs cannot hear you at all if you are crouched. Walking (shift) is ironically both slower and noisier than crouching.
4. Stand up and quickly use your prod (guaranteed 1HKO or stun from any direction) or baton (only 1HKOs weak enemies, like generic NSF grunts, but infinite use) square in the NPC's back. Though headshots work best when using a gun, the back is the best place to hit when trying to knock someone out.
5. Hopefully he should go down in one shot. This works on Realistic difficulty, not sure about Medium but probably. If the enemy stands in place jittering from the prod, he's stunned and you should hit him again. If an enemy doesn't go down from a baton strike (they will unless they've noticed you at all), wail on him with it some more and he'll eventually go down, or give up and switch to your pistol or something.

Once you get the hang of this, its significantly easier than trying to shoot everyone with your awful guns and low skills. For the first level or two I only really use my pistol as a last resort since it's just not as potent as your other weapons and stealthing is quite easy once you know how useful crouching is.

The baton and prod are just two weapons you can use. The tranquilizer crossbow is a great weapon as its a guaranteed one-shot KO if you can get someone in the head. They don't fall right away, they run around poisoned for a while then pass out. So once you shoot someone with the tranq, duck behind a wall where he can't shoot you and wait the poison out. If you can find a good place to hide, you can easily take out a group of enemies using much less ammo than your pistol. My favorite place for this is the Battery Park subway when you're saving the hostages - hide in the vents where they can't shoot you easily, tranq everyone once or twice (optionally throwing down a gas bomb first to make them stop running around), and wait for them to pass out. Otherwise you'd have to take on a group of like six dudes including one with a flamethrower.

Another underrated weapon is the pepper spray, which can incapacitate a large group of enemies so you can easily KO or kill them as they stand around coughing. It can be a bit tricky to use - you need to stand a couple paces away from the enemy and spray a cloud at them. The cloud has a bit of a travel time, so you need to aim well, and it helps to start from stealth. It's not an easy weapon to use but it's very powerful, especially early on.

Finally, the lowly flares and throwing knives are also pretty useful for sneaking around. Throwing a flare or knife at something will make all nearby NPCs turn and stare at it for a few seconds, giving you a chance to sneak by or line up a headshot.

As a stealther, you really have a lot more tools than you would think. There's much more you can do to make things easier than simply try to sneak behind everyone. And if you REALLY don't like sneaking around, the GEP gun one shots anything in the first level and you will find plenty of rockets throughout the game so you don't really need to hoard them. Or anything for that matter.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 29, 2011

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I just picked up Dawn of War II and its expansion. I don't really care for grinding so I usually run straight toward the objectives killing everything in my path but never sweep the map to kill everything for xp and drops. Is this going to come back and bite me in the rear end?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

CharismaticHorsey posted:

Alright, Goons, I have just completed my collection of Silent Hill. Before now I had only played Homecoming, but the internet has told me it sucks in comparison to the first four games, which began my trip to Amazon. Right now Silent Hill 1 for the PSX is in my Playstation 3 and I am going to start it once the sun goes down. Typically I am close to pissing myself about scary games, but my cojones are large tonight. Is there anything I should know before starting?

Edit: Changed wording of sentence to sound like something I would actually say.
I was pretty sure I said something about SH1 at some point in this thread, and lo and behold it was on the wiki:

quote:

Getting the best ending is kind of tricky without knowing how to do it before hand. It has nothing to do with your deaths or number of saves or something like that (however stuff like that does matter for Silent Hill 2), but rather there are just a few small, but very specific, sidequests you have to do. One determines whether you get the Good or Bad ending, while the other determines whether you get the Good/Bad or Good+/Bad+ (basically just an enhancement of the previous endings).

Without spoiling it completely, I'll give a few hints I suppose...since half the fun is figuring out the puzzle anyway.

Getting the Good ending:

-Go to Annie's Bar when you get the chance

-Try to figure out how to open the gas tank in the motorcycle you find in a certain location

Getting Good+/Bad+:

-Try to figure out a way to pick up the liquid on the ground in the hospital

-You'll want to use it during a certain boss fight (not the last one)

Except for that final line, all of these things should be something you can do as soon as you discover them. In other words, don't just gloss them over and expect to have a chance to go back and do them later.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Thank you for that. The whole 250+ page thread was a little daunting.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I've read the wiki for Final Fantasy V, but can I get some more tips to break this bitch over my knee?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Decrepus posted:

I just picked up Dawn of War II and its expansion. I don't really care for grinding so I usually run straight toward the objectives killing everything in my path but never sweep the map to kill everything for xp and drops. Is this going to come back and bite me in the rear end?

I've just started playing it so I'd like some advice also. It introduces the main guys that you play as but I don't feel like I know what do with them yet. The missions take me way longer than I think they should cause I'm trying to play really tactically when I could get away with guns blazing most of the time.

Also, I'm playing on easy cause I'm a giant rts wuss who is terrible at them. I like them, but I'm really bad at them.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Jolo posted:

Also, I'm playing on easy cause I'm a giant rts wuss who is terrible at them. I like them, but I'm really bad at them.

Same here, I've played RTSs for most of my life and they were the first games I played as a little protonerd. Still terrible at them. Don't know what it is, I think its because I like to take things slow and deliberately and most RTSs expect you to move faster than I'd like to.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Bigass Moth posted:

I've read the wiki for Final Fantasy V, but can I get some more tips to break this bitch over my knee?

The wiki is pretty good, but one thing I didn't realize at first is that if one character learns a Blue Magic spell, then any character can use it if they have Blue Magic. If you're a completionist you might want to look up where some of the classes learn their abilities, as a couple of them are hard to find (ex. some Summons are random encounters in a small section of the map, a couple White Magic spells can't be bought and have to be found in hidden chests)
Orange Fluffy Sheep did a very good LP of the game not too long ago, check it out if you want to know more.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

C-Euro posted:

The wiki is pretty good, but one thing I didn't realize at first is that if one character learns a Blue Magic spell, then any character can use it if they have Blue Magic. If you're a completionist you might want to look up where some of the classes learn their abilities, as a couple of them are hard to find (ex. some Summons are random encounters in a small section of the map, a couple White Magic spells can't be bought and have to be found in hidden chests)
Orange Fluffy Sheep did a very good LP of the game not too long ago, check it out if you want to know more.

It's worth noting that the level of domination Orange Fluffy Sheep inflicted on FFV during that LP would result in years of therapy for FFV to get over it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jolo posted:

I've just started playing it so I'd like some advice also. It introduces the main guys that you play as but I don't feel like I know what do with them yet. The missions take me way longer than I think they should cause I'm trying to play really tactically when I could get away with guns blazing most of the time.

I'm playing it for the first time on easy as well and it hasn't been terribly hard yet. Some notes I've noted:

-Don't be afraid to use med packs when things get rough
-Assault marines (Thaddeus, the jump jet guys) are awesome for everything except vehicles and big, tough enemies. Doing the assault jump into groups of enemies absolutely wrecks their poo poo. They get suppressed and take a very respectable amount of damage. Plus it looks rad. I recently had the option to "upgrade" that squad into assault terminators, and even though it might technically be the superior unit, I turned it down because the jump jets are just so drat cool and useful.

You do kind of have to babysit him a little bit if you do this: jumping into groups of enemies means that thaddeus will be taking tons of damage, but on easy, it isn't too bad as long as you keep the other teams nearby. And you always have medkits.

I'd heard that Cyrus (scouts) was supposed to be one of the best units in the game but I haven't figured out how or why yet. He seems to die really easily, but I've never been very good with micromanaging glass cannon units with strong abilities. I've just been leaving him at home and been doing fine with the other 4 squads (haven't got the dreadnought yet).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

About the Witcher request from earlier - rockpapershotgun clued me in that something a lot of people seem to be missing (due to the general RPG "never use your potions and scrolls tendencies" and lack of Witcher lore:)
You're supposed to be using your potions a LOT. Brew them, chug them down, brew some more. Think of them as spell buffs rather than consumables, if that helps. They're really easy to make precisely because you always to have something in your system, even for generic dungeon spleunks / trecking through the wilderness.

Remember, winners use drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Jolo posted:

I've just started playing it so I'd like some advice also. It introduces the main guys that you play as but I don't feel like I know what do with them yet.

Your Commander is a cover-breaking melee monster with party buffs (Battle Cry, Rally w/ battle standard).
Tarkus is the tank that can also dish it out with plasma weapons.
Avitus is either a directional DPS hose (heavy bolter), an anti-vehicle rear end in a top hat (rocket launcher, heavy plasma) or an unstoppable deathmachine (Terminator armor).
Cyrus is less useful in contributing damage, but in addition to sneaking about he can pluck out single targets such as Eldar snipers or Tyranid squad leaders (special sniper round), "backstab" an entire squad from hiding (explosive shotgun round) or annihilate everything with grenades and remote detpacks (use of accessories without breaking stealth) - this is why Cyrus is the most broken thing.
Thaddeus is another melee option that either keeps the Slugga Boyz away from Avitus and Tarkus or jumps on/pops up in the middle of enemy squads and makes them explode. He's pretty fragile, so be ready to Taunt the attention away from him or make sure you jump somebody completely toothless in close combat.
I find the Dreadnaught more of a liability than anything. It's incredibly powerful, but needs a special item to repair and falls incredibly quickly to anything anti-vehicle. And there is plenty of that to go around.