Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirp
May 16, 2007
I'm now a few days into my clinicals for my CNA certification and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm applying to nursing school in January and although I feel like I already have a pretty good chance of getting accepted (I'm a guy, and I have really good grades) I thought it would be great to get some good hands-on experience working as a CNA, and up my odds even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Hi fellow nurses, I have a question that I thought might be beneficial to ask in here first. My girlfriend, who is currently working on an acute mental health unit, has just received a job offer from a local public health unit. She previously had a student placement here and loved it, and she plans on pursuing post-graduate education in a public health related field so she is extremely excited. This position is full-time temporary, with a good likelihood of extension upon completion.

She feels somewhat guilty though, because the day before she got the call for the interview, she accepted a full time permanent position on her current unit. She has also only been there 6 months, and although I am very sure she applied for a publicly posted position, she got the job because she had a placement there and contacted her tutor, who is the nurse educator, about a job.

She doesn't know how to approach her manager about this without burning bridges or really feeling lovely. A few things she has going for her are that when asked about her future plans or goals or however interviewers word it, she specifically stated that public health was her primary interest. She also wouldn't mind picking up a shift or two once in a while on the unit, as she enjoys many of the people she works with.

Any thoughts?

Shrike41
Jan 7, 2011

Ghost of Castro posted:

Hi fellow nurses, I have a question that I thought might be beneficial to ask in here first. My girlfriend, who is currently working on an acute mental health unit, has just received a job offer from a local public health unit. She previously had a student placement here and loved it, and she plans on pursuing post-graduate education in a public health related field so she is extremely excited. This position is full-time temporary, with a good likelihood of extension upon completion.

She feels somewhat guilty though, because the day before she got the call for the interview, she accepted a full time permanent position on her current unit. She has also only been there 6 months, and although I am very sure she applied for a publicly posted position, she got the job because she had a placement there and contacted her tutor, who is the nurse educator, about a job.

She doesn't know how to approach her manager about this without burning bridges or really feeling lovely. A few things she has going for her are that when asked about her future plans or goals or however interviewers word it, she specifically stated that public health was her primary interest. She also wouldn't mind picking up a shift or two once in a while on the unit, as she enjoys many of the people she works with.

Any thoughts?

Nursing is one of those things where you have to look out for yourself. Her nurse manager is probably not looking out for her and furthering her career. If she want to advance in education in Public Health she should work at the new job. Working in the acute unit will not directly help her IMO except maybe giving her a broader range of knowledge and experience.

I wouldn't worry too much about "burning bridges" because as a 6-month new grad she can be replaced. There are always more nurses graduating every year. If her nurse manager really cared about her she would support her decision and understand the necessity based on her future plans for advanced education. Also she can just ask the manager if she can drop down to PRN/As needed status.

Shrike41 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 27, 2011

Sgt. Poof
Mar 8, 2011

Coming to herd some sheep near you.
I wouldn't do school nursing unless you like putting up with a lot of paperwork the first few weeks of school and not having orders to even give out cough drops. They're also not very flexible.

There is a lot of per diem work out there; I'd also ask to see if they need any float nurses at the hospital.

annaconda
Mar 12, 2007
deadly bite
I have been a nurse for just over 5 years, 4 of those in ICU, and I am suddenly really wondering why. I advocate for patients and their families - from things as complicated as palliation to as simple as pain relief - and no one listens to me. I am constantly made to administer treatments I think are inhumane and against the wishes of patients and their families. I am made complicit in the lies that the doctors tell families in regards to the likelihood of survival of patients. I have to hide the truth from familes who ask "Is he/she going to be OK?". I have to prolong the deaths of 90-year-olds whose bodies have given out, but whose children and doctors cannot accept are dying. There are 2 cases that I can pinpoint: 1
) a 5-year-old who was screaming in pain and scored 7-10/10 on the http://www.nhpco.org/i4a/pages/Index.cfm?pageID=4670FLACrC score, but not a single doctor would believe that he was in pain, and 2) a 32 year old with intractable cardiogenic shock who wss dying, and whose family asked to stop treatment, but the doctors wanted to continue in order to prolong her life for what they believed might be an extra 12 hours (ended up being 4 hours before she declared herself).

I don't think I can do this any more.
Any seasoned nurses been through this and come out the other side?

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

annaconda posted:

I'm anything but seasoned, but if you don't think you can do it anymore I would really take the time to seek alternative career options. Your problems do not lie just with the ICU, the doctors, or the families. All your issues are tied to how our society views life, death, and suffering. Our society isn't going to change for the better anytime soon, so your energy would be best spent somewhere that aligns with your values and beliefs.

Sapper2CRNA posted:

Nursing is one of those things where you have to look out for yourself. Her nurse manager is probably not looking out for her and furthering her career. If she want to advance in education in Public Health she should work at the new job. Working in the acute unit will not directly help her IMO except maybe giving her a broader range of knowledge and experience.

I wouldn't worry too much about "burning bridges" because as a 6-month new grad she can be replaced. There are always more nurses graduating every year. If her nurse manager really cared about her she would support her decision and understand the necessity based on her future plans for advanced education. Also she can just ask the manager if she can drop down to PRN/As needed status.

Thanks for the info! Turns out that a lot of people are leaving or planning on leaving the unit, and they just hired two new grads so it's not a huge deal.

Now I just need to find full time work... :( It's especially bad right now because since there are many new grads and units get funded for hiring them, I am struggling to find anything being ineligible for any new grad programs (I finished school last year) and having very limited experience, the bulk of it in community health. Getting community jobs is so horrible because I'm competing against the older nurses who just want out of the hospitals.

my morning jackass fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 30, 2011

Shrike41
Jan 7, 2011

annaconda posted:

I have been a nurse for just over 5 years, 4 of those in ICU, and I am suddenly really wondering why. I advocate for patients and their families - from things as complicated as palliation to as simple as pain relief - and no one listens to me. I am constantly made to administer treatments I think are inhumane and against the wishes of patients and their families. I am made complicit in the lies that the doctors tell families in regards to the likelihood of survival of patients. I have to hide the truth from familes who ask "Is he/she going to be OK?". I have to prolong the deaths of 90-year-olds whose bodies have given out, but whose children and doctors cannot accept are dying. There are 2 cases that I can pinpoint: 1
) a 5-year-old who was screaming in pain and scored 7-10/10 on the http://www.nhpco.org/i4a/pages/Index.cfm?pageID=4670FLACrC score, but not a single doctor would believe that he was in pain, and 2) a 32 year old with intractable cardiogenic shock who wss dying, and whose family asked to stop treatment, but the doctors wanted to continue in order to prolong her life for what they believed might be an extra 12 hours (ended up being 4 hours before she declared herself).

I was in the ICU for a year and a half but y experience was the exact same as your. I jumped ship and am in CRNA school now. I think the only thing that got me through dealing with all the retardedness you mention was the fact that I knew I was going to be leaving. If CRNA school did not happen I would not stay a nurse becasue of many of the things you mentioned and I feel that a lot of those things were/are unethical. There are tons of nurses who just dig in and get through it though. Maybe if you can't move into advanced practice you should at least try moving to a different ICU, or maybe a PACU or maybe some other place that is mostly happy ending versus death row (ICU).

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

annaconda posted:

I think I am sensing 2 problems.

Compassion fatigue also Compassion fatigue
Caring too much can hurt. When caregivers focus on others without practicing self-care, destructive behaviors can surface. Apathy, isolation, bottled up emotions and substance abuse head a long list of symptoms associated with the secondary traumatic stress disorder now labeled: Compassion Fatigue

Does this sound familiar? My outlet tended towards angry outbursts at work and excessive drinking at home. I was originally led to believe that I was an angry alcoholic; I think my job was in jeopardy, I know my marriage was. My employer (a huge university) makes MSW counseling available at no cost to help manage life problems, and I got pretty lucky with the counselor I was paired with. I now make frequent, deliberate efforts to do things I enjoy and to take better care of myself.

Second, it sounds like your employer sucks. Would you consider moving on? I used to work for a profit-driven [non-profit] hospital, and I was pretty well disgusted with a lot of what I saw there. I now work for a major university hospital, and I generally prefer the culture & attitude, especially amongst the attendings. Looking back on my last job, I see that my employer and I had values that were incongruous; it wasn't anyone's fault, we were just a bad fit for each other. Special snowflakes blah blah; is a change of scenery an option? Do you have the ability to shop around for a culture you like better?

edit; link added

Battered Cankles fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 31, 2011

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.

annaconda posted:

Yikes, I am so sorry. :sympathy:
I've worked at two different hospitals where the staff could not give two flying fucks for a) alcoholics or b) homeless people. Like, will go all day without seeing the patient (except to give meds) and essentially do no discharge teaching at all. I end up taking over basic care for them, 'cause we also don't have CNAs or NAs. I don't care if they are just going to go home and drink again or are being discharged to a loving city park across the street the are still human beings in the hospital and deserve CARE.

Snord
Mar 5, 2002

We hugged it out, but I was still a little angry.
Any tips for a new Psych nurse? I've just started, and I haven't even been on the floors yet. I'm a new grad, so I have zero actual experience.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE

Avian Pneumonia posted:

To what extent does it matter what school you go to when going for your BSN?

I have a degree in philosophy and am in the process of doing pre-requisites to apply to the Hunter College (CUNY) accelerated program.

http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/nursing/admissions/undergraduate/accelerated-pathway

I may also apply to NYU or Columbia as a 'reach' school.
But would it be worth the extra tuition to go to a 'better' school if I got in?
How different would my job prospects be when I got out?

Also: How much of an advantage do I have in admissions as a male?
Also x2: What would be a good 'safety' school in the NYC/Newengland area if I didn't get into hunter?

Anyone have any help/tips here?

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Anyone have any help/tips here?

It's my understanding that it really doesn't matter what school you went to as long as it's well-connected to the better hospitals and has lots of clinical time at those sites. This also has the benefit of giving you a slight in after you've graduated.

You will have no advantage as a male anymore. Everyone is flooding to nursing because it's 'recession proof' employment. It might even be a disadvantage depending on how old the nursing staff is at the schools you're applying to.

Enigmatic Troll
Nov 28, 2006

I'm gonna be there! I got to see!

Snord posted:

Any tips for a new Psych nurse? I've just started, and I haven't even been on the floors yet. I'm a new grad, so I have zero actual experience.

Praise Jesus.

Me posted:

This will probably be long winded but hopefully helpful for new grads or folks coming from a completely different area.

I've been working psych since I've been out of school. I think I'm the only one of my class that even remotely expressed an interest in this stuff (because I like weird poo poo).

I currently work on the detox unit of a for-profit-psych hospital and am bitter and jaded with my current job, so take everything I say with that in mind (currently pursuing a job in psych drug research praise Allah I hope I get it).

Depending on what your interests are, be sure to extensively tour the facility you would be working at. The acuity level of psych units go from babysitting homeless folks who have learned to say "I'm planning on running out in traffic" so they can have a place to sleep for a week or so to the lady who bites off the lips of another patient in the day room of a stabilization unit or an elderly gent who forges a doctor's order on a post-it note to have his shoes back. In front of the doctor.

The one and only time I worked on what I call the juvie unit, I had to give prn shots of Thorazine to a girl who was autistic to the point of pulling her earlobes so much that they literally had stretched two inches longer than normal. The reason for the prns was that she would spontaneously start slapping herself in the face. She was twelve. The thought of her having tardive by age eighteen or so didn't sit well with me which is why that was the one and only time I worked that unit. Then again, a little kid I knew nothing about or who he was spontaneously gave me a hug after I gave him his meds.

The adult units tend to run mild to slightly moderate acuity. They tend to focus more on mental health but sometimes do detox. The female unit is borderline central. There is much weeping and gnashing of teeth until the doctor is finally called and a benzo is ordered. The male unit is similar except with less weeping.

The detox unit. It's higher acuity than the adult units. We get some real sick people in there. We also get lots of game players - it's the middle of the month and they spent all their disability check on drugs and booze already so they pull the scratch their wrists slightly with a butter knife trick and get admitted and stay until the checks come out again and leave. Or until the doctor writes them the "to be concerned" letter that they can show to the judge. I'm not exaggerating at all with this paragraph.

Our unit also kind of acts like a step-down unit for stabilization when stab's filled up and a bed's needed. Or for geri - when an otherwise fantastic doctor has a hard on for sending eighty year olds with dementia to our unit with the misconceived notion that they will benefit from substance abuse groups. I don't think they're going to quit drinking at this point if they haven't already, but what do I know? I'm just a pill-pusher/secretary/muscle.

Stabilization. Bat poo poo crazy. Or acting like they're bat poo poo crazy so a doctor will declare them disabled. Or that was the only unit that had a bed available and the poor guy/gal has to be invisible or risk being attacked. I helped out there for a month and loved it. The regular staff has a thousand yard stare and are very, very edgy. My first day there and I didn't have a clue what I was doing I said: "You know, I can see that guy going off." Eight staff surrounded the guy and he was given a prn. And looking back on it, they were right. Better to take care of something before anything happens.

There's also a geri unit. Which is like a nursing home with nothing but dementia patients. Which is kind of pointless since they might as well be in a nursing home.

Mental health admissions counselors are sub-human monstrosities. These creatures are prevalent in the psych world. They lie to the patients. "You can leave anytime you want to...just sign this". "You'll have your own room". "Oh God! We Have to Bring Him Down Right Away - He's in DETOX!" No, motherfucker. He's 134/75, 82. And his last drink was in his car in the parking lot before he walked through your door. He's been sitting in that room for the last three hours and you need to get him down before shift change so you can get your bonus. And detox is what we do - they're in withdrawals. And you know, it doesn't hurt to actually do the assessment - the supposed pain the fella's in might actually be due to something besides opiate withdrawals - like the screws that hold the metal plate to his skull emerging through his scalp.

Folks will want to keep some basic medical knowledge. You will be dealing with diabetics that don't care. Patients that are prone to seizures. Or that God awful drug Subutex that makes people come down with pitting edema. Or any other bad thing you might find in a hospital, but you won't have the equipment or facilities to deal with it unless you catch it while it's emerging. We've got no ACLS or crash carts here - cpr and O2 it is until the ambulance arrives.

I suppose one of the things that gets to me more than anything else is the repeat business aspect of my unit. I had thirty two patients today. One had never been inpatient before. Five had not been there in the last six months. Guess who's the one patient that might be successful and I won't see again? Bleah, I better quit now before this becomes even more despairing.

edit for admissions counselors

I also believe that a few days later (at the end of Feb.) I made an arrogant post about how I believed that being a short dude somehow helped me avoid being attacked. I was wrong. I was full of poo poo. I was hit in the head two weeks later for the first time whilst knocking a chair out of an agitated fellow's arms. He was swinging it a bit too close to a pregnant co-worker for my taste. Too long to read: I knocked the chair down and he hit me with a round-house. Better his fist than the chair, but I learned to not be the first one in on a ruckus.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
I'm going go go off topic a bit and try for entertainment (mine and yours). Merely an attempt to lighten the mood. Here goes:

About 6 years ago I was working ER in a hospital in the ghetto. I was young [and foolish] and thought ER in the inner city would give me great trauma experience, letting me circumvent the experience requirements to be a flight RN; wrong on all counts.

A street-walking prostitute, frequent patient when she got assaulted or infected, came in looking genuinely worried. Let me color the worry for you; she once came in with an eye swollen shut and somehow managed to project an attitude of pure "This don't hurt, now get me a cigarrette!" I see the escort with her looks moderately uncomfortable, but I'm 1:1ing an uncrossmatched transfusion, so this is as close as I'm gonna get to the show.

I pick up on the fact that she won't sit down, on a stretcher or a chair, and is getting a little animated over it. Then she lays down prone, and the picture starts coming together for me. She is rolled past the triage bays and right into the hall to the trauma bays. It turns out that the combination of infection and anal trauma had cost her the sigmoid. She got worried when she saw blood on the toilet paper, and like all good citizens, she waited until she was losing control of her bloody diarrhea before seeking help. I heart nursing.

Months later she visited again. Heeding the stoma teaching, she came in as soon as the infection and sexual trauma had caused her colostomy to bleed. I believe she lost another few feet of bowel that visit. I'll fast-forward through trying to explain short-gut syndrome to her, and bring us to one glorious day in July.

The patient comes in again, repeating "My poo poo bag's full of blood!" and gets fast-tracked to trauma; it's the only place where a mess like that has a chance of being contained. Two techs head in to take care of her, and a 4 day old MD goes chasing after them. There's an expected amount of commotion for a minute, and then things hush; CRACK! A slap breaks the air, followed by a whimper and the a roar of "You bitch! I kiss my Babies with this mouth!"

Back on topic; my CNS told me that he avoids hiring fast-track 2nd degree RNs because their lesson plan tends to be short in clincal hours.

Also, I'll be picketing next week; it'll be my first time. Anyone been there?

Snord
Mar 5, 2002

Enigmatic Troll posted:

Praise Jesus.

I also believe that a few days later (at the end of Feb.) I made an arrogant post about how I believed that being a short dude somehow helped me avoid being attacked. I was wrong. I was full of poo poo. I was hit in the head two weeks later for the first time whilst knocking a chair out of an agitated fellow's arms. He was swinging it a bit too close to a pregnant co-worker for my taste. Too long to read: I knocked the chair down and he hit me with a round-house. Better his fist than the chair, but I learned to not be the first one in on a ruckus.

Goddamn. I guess I am in for some fun. Mind if I PM you some questions if I have any? And at least I am at a state facility, so it doesn't seem quite that insane.

Enigmatic Troll
Nov 28, 2006

I'm gonna be there! I got to see!

Snord posted:

Goddamn. I guess I am in for some fun. Mind if I PM you some questions if I have any? And at least I am at a state facility, so it doesn't seem quite that insane.

PM I do not have.

canadian_missile_crisis@yahoo.com - I'm happy to respond if I don't think it's an email advertising trans-sexuals with very large genitalia.

And good on you for getting a state job - you will have better benefits and hopefully better doctors than a private facility.

One tip I can give you that hasn't changed as I've become wiser/semi-smarter: Always Treat The Patients Like They Are An Adult! (at least for adults)

I don't care if they are bat-poo poo crazy or emotionally the equivalent of a teenager - they might improve substantially in just a day or two. And if you've treated them poorly until they've improved, how will they perceive you after they've gotten sane? Not saying that's you, but I see that frequently.

leb388
Nov 25, 2005

My home planet is far away and long since gone.
Jobhunting. I'm really astonished at how rude employers/HR people can be. I had one place promise up and down that they'd love to have me even though I was a new grad, and then when I went for the interview the same person said they wouldn't hire me because of my inexperience. What was the point of that interview? I've had people respond negatively because I'm going for my bachelor's degree in nursing (I thought that was a good thing?), or laugh at me when I handed them my application and resume and tell me I'm "too young to be a nurse."

And there are places that I know have openings (staff there are working short), but they either don't want to hire anyone or are holding out for someone with more experience so they have to pay for less orientation. When I was a CNA I came across the occasional rude person in HR, but it was never this bad.

Soo, I'm getting my CT license to spread out and apply to more places.

w3rd
Dec 18, 2003

w3rd to your mother
Anyone in here have any experience as a travel nurse? I am a male, 24 and have been a nurse for 2 years in an ER in South Carolina. I am wanting to move to Colorado in January after the holidays and have been debating just looking for an ER spot in a hospital on my own like I did for this job or going through a travel agency to get me out there and do a 13 week contract to feel the hospital out.

At this point I'm still debating between living in Denver or trying to find a spot at one of the mountain hospitals near all the resorts (snowboarding is my real passion). That is completely irrelevant though I suppose as my real question is which option you all recommend to get me out there and if anyone has been a travel nurse which agency you recommend and any tips you have to get the most money out of it. From looking at multiple websites it seems most the agencies are almost all the same.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Hey folks, just wanted to say thanks for the resumé feedback earlier, my girl has a couple of interviews coming up now, one in particular in the burns and trauma ward at the hospital she really wanted to work at, so here's hoping!

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.

leb388 posted:

Jobhunting. I'm really astonished at how rude employers/HR people can be. I had one place promise up and down that they'd love to have me even though I was a new grad, and then when I went for the interview the same person said they wouldn't hire me because of my inexperience. What was the point of that interview? I've had people respond negatively because I'm going for my bachelor's degree in nursing (I thought that was a good thing?), or laugh at me when I handed them my application and resume and tell me I'm "too young to be a nurse."

And there are places that I know have openings (staff there are working short), but they either don't want to hire anyone or are holding out for someone with more experience so they have to pay for less orientation. When I was a CNA I came across the occasional rude person in HR, but it was never this bad.

Soo, I'm getting my CT license to spread out and apply to more places.

Geez. I've never encountered HR people like that. They're usually so sweet because they're begging for nurses... it's the unit managers you have to look out for. How young is "too young"? Dang, I thought I was on the older side at 22 when I graduated (I wasn't really, it was the norm). Do you already have your ADN degree, or are you a new grad from college with a different degree?

If you already have your ADN degree, that might be why they're scoffing at your wanting to have your BSN. They're thinking if they hire you, you're already going to be requesting to get time off for school, etc. Also HR people know that BSN nurses tend to move on to bigger/better things faster than those with ADNs, so that might be a reason for apprehension towards your application.

leb388
Nov 25, 2005

Private Label posted:

Geez. I've never encountered HR people like that. They're usually so sweet because they're begging for nurses... it's the unit managers you have to look out for. How young is "too young"? Dang, I thought I was on the older side at 22 when I graduated (I wasn't really, it was the norm). Do you already have your ADN degree, or are you a new grad from college with a different degree?

If you already have your ADN degree, that might be why they're scoffing at your wanting to have your BSN. They're thinking if they hire you, you're already going to be requesting to get time off for school, etc. Also HR people know that BSN nurses tend to move on to bigger/better things faster than those with ADNs, so that might be a reason for apprehension towards your application.

I'm in western MA, and there are a lot of nurses, and hospitals have been doing layoffs. So employers can pick and choose. I'm in my early 20s but I look much younger than I am, to the point where people ask me if I'm 16 or 17 (no matter what the situation or how I dress--I just look young, I guess).

I just got my ADN. My BSN program is only one day a week so it's not like they'll have a huge block of classes to schedule around, but yeah, they're afraid that if they hire me, I'll eventually leave. I wanted to withdraw from the program and start again once I have a job, but a lot of nurses I know are telling me to stick with it.

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.

leb388 posted:

I'm in western MA, and there are a lot of nurses, and hospitals have been doing layoffs. So employers can pick and choose. I'm in my early 20s but I look much younger than I am, to the point where people ask me if I'm 16 or 17 (no matter what the situation or how I dress--I just look young, I guess).

I just got my ADN. My BSN program is only one day a week so it's not like they'll have a huge block of classes to schedule around, but yeah, they're afraid that if they hire me, I'll eventually leave. I wanted to withdraw from the program and start again once I have a job, but a lot of nurses I know are telling me to stick with it.

Yeah, stick with it for sure. It's just easier to get it early, and now with everyone trying to get into nursing programs, there's more demand for ADNs to get their BSNs. I suppose if you're worried in future interviews about mentioning it- don't mention it until after you get hired. That's what I did... my very first interview I mentioned that I was planning to do the Peace Corps, which of course didn't sit well with the unit manager. Whoops. From then on I didn't say anything about it and no one knew about my plans until I had been told my leaving date by Peace Corps. (I also got to keep my money from my "retention bonus" from the hospital even though I didn't work there the full 2 years :ssh:)

leb388
Nov 25, 2005

Private Label posted:

Yeah, stick with it for sure. It's just easier to get it early, and now with everyone trying to get into nursing programs, there's more demand for ADNs to get their BSNs. I suppose if you're worried in future interviews about mentioning it- don't mention it until after you get hired. That's what I did... my very first interview I mentioned that I was planning to do the Peace Corps, which of course didn't sit well with the unit manager. Whoops. From then on I didn't say anything about it and no one knew about my plans until I had been told my leaving date by Peace Corps. (I also got to keep my money from my "retention bonus" from the hospital even though I didn't work there the full 2 years :ssh:)

I think that's what I'll do from now on. How was the Peace Corps, by the way?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
I'll be taking my LPN NCLEX in another week or so, in California. Once I pass, how do I go about being able to work in other states?

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

leb388 posted:

I think that's what I'll do from now on. How was the Peace Corps, by the way?

It's good! I'm still in it right now, starting my second year. I really wanted to do this so I could go out and see the world while doing some good work while I was still young and without a husband/kids. I work in a hospital in basically the middle of nowhere, directly with the head of nursing and the nurse methodologist. It's pretty darn awesome. Peace Corps nursing is a lot different from traditional nursing of course, since we're not allowed to do direct patient work. It's a lot more nursing education (which I can do) and public health. I'm the only RN volunteer in Mongolia at the moment... most of the health volunteers here have just a little background, like first aid or lifeguarding experience. Like I heard from other PCVs before me, anyone can be a health volunteer since in America the average person knows a lot about health. My first year was pretty busy, but I was mostly doing nursing seminars and teaching English. Sounds like my second year will be a little more exciting now that I'm more integrated into my community.

:) Shameless plug to my blog: http://pcvkate.blogspot.com/

nordavind
Mar 25, 2008
Can anyone give a short explanation of the different nursing acronyms in the US? RN and LPN? Where I'm from the only way to get the nurse title is a 3 year bachelor, but it seems like there are different tiers of nurses in the US?

In other news, starting my 2nd year in a few days and I'm really looking forward to it. 6 months of clinicals, split between psychiatry, surgery and medical wards.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
There is a hierarchy in nursing that basically goes like this: CNAs (certified nursing assistants) are at the bottom. They do the feeding and butt-wiping. Next are LVN/LPNs (Licensed Practicing Nurses...or Little Pretend Nurses, if you ask my friend.) They pass out meds, give shots, do enemas and catheter changes. Then you have RNs (Registered Nurses) who do things like give blood via IVs and such. There are exceptions, of course but as a rule of thumb, this is how it works.

You can get to be an RN via a 2-year degree program or a 4-year Bachelor's degree (which is a BSN.) LPNs can be done in a year. CNAs, a month.

Snord
Mar 5, 2002

Oxford Comma posted:

There is a hierarchy in nursing that basically goes like this: CNAs (certified nursing assistants) are at the bottom. They do the feeding and butt-wiping. Next are LVN/LPNs (Licensed Practicing Nurses...or Little Pretend Nurses, if you ask my friend.) They pass out meds, give shots, do enemas and catheter changes. Then you have RNs (Registered Nurses) who do things like give blood via IVs and such. There are exceptions, of course but as a rule of thumb, this is how it works.

You can get to be an RN via a 2-year degree program or a 4-year Bachelor's degree (which is a BSN.) LPNs can be done in a year. CNAs, a month.

There are also Nurse Practitioners, which can diagnose patients and write orders for other nurses. They can also prescribe medications. They need a collaborative agreement from a physician, however, and this can vary from state to state.

leb388
Nov 25, 2005

Oxford Comma posted:

I'll be taking my LPN NCLEX in another week or so, in California. Once I pass, how do I go about being able to work in other states?

Look for the board of nursing web sites of states you want to work in. Usually they have directions on how to apply for reciprocity.

Private Label posted:

It's good! I'm still in it right now, starting my second year. I really wanted to do this so I could go out and see the world while doing some good work while I was still young and without a husband/kids. I work in a hospital in basically the middle of nowhere, directly with the head of nursing and the nurse methodologist. It's pretty darn awesome. Peace Corps nursing is a lot different from traditional nursing of course, since we're not allowed to do direct patient work. It's a lot more nursing education (which I can do) and public health. I'm the only RN volunteer in Mongolia at the moment... most of the health volunteers here have just a little background, like first aid or lifeguarding experience. Like I heard from other PCVs before me, anyone can be a health volunteer since in America the average person knows a lot about health. My first year was pretty busy, but I was mostly doing nursing seminars and teaching English. Sounds like my second year will be a little more exciting now that I'm more integrated into my community.

:) Shameless plug to my blog: http://pcvkate.blogspot.com/

Awesome! I've thought of doing something like that. Interesting that you can't do patient care, but you must be able to get a lot of teaching done.

Finzee
Feb 16, 2007

marchantia posted:

I graduated a few semesters back with a BS in Plant Biology. Shockingly enough, there aren't any jobs for someone with an undergrad in plants, so I've been working in medical records since then. I want to go back to get my nursing degree, but am stuck paying for $25,000 in student loans, and really don't want to add on crazy amounts by going back for my BSN, and am instead hoping to just get an ASN with the goal to eventually move up to my BSN while working.

I currently work full time at a hospital that will give pretty hefty tuition assistance while I'm working there - I'm planning on doing my prereqs that weren't fulfilled by my BS (A+P I/II and Micro) at night while working full time and then getting on the waitlist and taking the few classes I can before getting off the waitlist (Dietary Nutrition, Pathophysiology) while working. I'm going to pay those classes out-of-pocket with assistance from my hospital, and then quit to go to school full time for the two years or so that are needed in the actual nursing program. Assuming a 1-2 wait on the list (which is what they predict, ugh), I'll be graduating in 2016.

This will probably take me longer than doing a BSN at this point, but it's a lot cheaper and I can always get my BSN in the future (paying as I go, part-time while working) if I end up wanting some upward mobility as I get older. Is this an incredibly stupid idea? I really dread getting farther into debt when I already have a job that pays the bills - I just want a job with more variety and substance, if that makes sense.

Just curious, are you in the Maricopa County community college system? I'm in the same boat here. I have been waiting for the better part of a year after getting my BA in History (decided not to do law school). I work at a hospital, which will pay for nursing school. Hopefully they will find placement for me come spring 2012. I am gonna get my EMT-B in the Fall and Gen Chem, too.

As far as job outlooks go, it is a bit hazy. I know lots of places are looking for people with their BSN, but I have heard success stories from people with Associates degrees as well. I do eventually plan on advancing that degree, but I want at least a couple years' worth of actual work experience to pay off loans and such before I continue on with more advanced schooling.

Finzee fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 15, 2011

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
So I'm going to take my nclex in February or so and my main method of studying is doing shitloads of practice questions and tests. I already have the kaplan book and a couple others. Any other tips?

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
Relax, get a decent night's sleep and eat breakfast. Studying can help to prepare you for the style of questions, but by the time you've graduated you either have the info in your head, or you don't. I think I read the informative part of a Kaplan book, did a total of 15 practice questions, and finished with minimum Qs in a bit under an hour.

Unrelated.

quote:

The 'Amazing Nurses' Contest: Celebrating America's Caregivers

The Johnson & Johnson Campaign for Nursing’s Future, as part of its ongoing campaign to support nurses and nursing education, is honored to sponsor the "Amazing Nurses" national contest to celebrate and reward the important role that these valued caretakers play in our communities.

Recognizing nurses are the critical backbone of medical care in emergency rooms, hospitals, military facilities, clinics, schools, homeless shelters and nursing homes, Johnson & Johnson has created the “Amazing Nurses” contest to provide an opportunity for families, patients and communities to celebrate the contributions of individual nurses.

Anyone can nominate a nurse who has had a significant impact on their or a loved one’s life by going to http://www.facebook.com/jnjnursingnotes. Nominations are due not later than September 11, 2011.

The winning "Amazing Nurse" and a guest will receive a trip to Los Angeles, to attend the 2011 CNN Heroes: An All-Star Tribute show this December. The winner will also be featured in a TV commercial on CNN, sponsored by Johnson & Johnson.

The Campaign also features two comprehensive websites: https://www.discovernursing.com for individuals who are interested in pursuing a career in nursing and https://www.campaignfornursing.com designed to address nurse and nurse faculty retention and professional development.

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

Dr. Capco posted:

So I'm going to take my nclex in February or so and my main method of studying is doing shitloads of practice questions and tests. I already have the kaplan book and a couple others. Any other tips?

Get the book NCLEX Made Incredibly Easy. The CD that comes with it has the questions I feel most closely resemble actual NCLEX questions, in difficulty and content. Pocket NCLEX is great for very very concise reviews and brushing up on drugs.

A lady I've been tutoring has a book by Linda Charity and it's loving awful, please don't get it.

When in doubt remember A-B-C-Pain-Safety and DON'T ASSESS IF THEY ARE IN DISTRESS.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Baby_Hippo posted:

When in doubt remember A-B-C-Pain-Safety and DON'T ASSESS IF THEY ARE IN DISTRESS.

I'm no where near taking the NCLEX test, but what does this mean for future reference? :)

Giant Wallet
Jan 1, 2010

Dr. Capco posted:

I just took it at the end of July (and passed with the min number, yay!). You're right, millions of questions. I reviewed stuff I knew I was weak on like lab values and special diets but 99% of prepping for me was practice questions. Qbank questions until your fingers bleed. That decision tree helped me a lot, if only because it made me slow down. Oh, and you WILL come out feeling like a retard, that is normal.

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

Etrips posted:

I'm no where near taking the NCLEX test, but what does this mean for future reference? :)

If someone tells you they are having chest pain or SOB, don't take a blood pressure or check pulse ox, admin a med or O2. Basically, don't dick around, do something for the patient immediately. :)

Edit to add: "Assess" also includes things like asking them questions (onset of pain/degree) or reviewing something in the chart.

Snord
Mar 5, 2002

Does anyone have advice on how to do IM injections? It has been way too long since I did one, and I was too unsure of myself when I had to do one last week.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011

Snord posted:

Does anyone have advice on how to do IM injections? It has been way too long since I did one, and I was too unsure of myself when I had to do one last week.

The most recent best practice, as far as I'm aware, is the ventroglueteal site. Get the patient comfortable, lying down on your non-dominant side. You place your hand (non-dominant, should be the hand opposite to the leg facing you) on the greater trochanter of the femur, stretch your index finger to the anterior superior iliac crest, and slide your middle finger open as much as possible. This gives you a triangle which goes into an area without much in the way of vessels or nerves, and the amount of adipose tissue is usually fairly consistent between people, minimising accidental subcut injections.

Do a GIS on ventrogluteal, and you'll see a lot of diagrams that show this. Frankly, I haven't done it, but it's what I'd be most comfortable using.

nordavind
Mar 25, 2008
Just found out that my first 2nd year clinical will be 9 weeks at the cardiothoracic surgery ward, so now I'm very excited. Going to become an expert at PVCs and see some open heart surgery. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFarSide
Jul 24, 2001

Nay, we are but men... ROCK!
Welp, entering my final quarter of nursing school. I got one of the few preceptored positions available for my clinical, but instead of being on the trauma/trauma step down unit (all my electives have been trauma based) I got stuck on an ortho floor. Not too excited about it, but the autonomy increase versus normal clinicals should be a large step in a positive direction. And if it's a foot in the door for a job, all the better.

We just swapped from HESI to ATI for our testing, and I just took a "pre exit test." It's for ATI to gauge where our education level is to base a 3 day NCLEX review around as well as prep for the ATI exit exam. Their results from the 180 question test said that I have a 95% chance to pass the NCLEX with my current knowledge base, so I'm pretty psyched.