Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Krysmphoenix posted:

With the current betting system, I believe these bets are now impossible. :smith:

You can still bet on both sides of a match. At least a few people already have this tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Orv posted:

Looking forward to Vox running my match and calling me out for purchasing the wrong weapon material as my poor minotaur detective fails miserably.

Minotaur detective? Ben Mattock, Minotaur Detective? :psyduck:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Red Dragon posted:

50 bucks an hour, lunch fee if working before noon. Will not work for dwarves, witches or old gods. "Angry Conrad" his steel maul is included in the hourly price.

E: Changed name of maul to something more appropriate. :v:

(Yes, he should be a lawyer, but I don't think there's much suing in the DF world. Lots of revenge killings, not a lot of legal preceedings.)

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 28, 2011

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Krysmphoenix posted:

With the current betting system, I believe these bets are now impossible. :smith:

Bad Munki posted:

You can still bet on both sides of a match. At least a few people already have this tournament.

Bad Munki is correct, you can bet on both sides of a match. What you can't do is take back a bet once it has been placed.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Red Dragon posted:

We had a goblin private investigator last tournament. :colbert:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ZeeToo posted:

Did he investigate the colouration of his opponents' kidneys?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

AmadeusVonBlastoise posted:

Bet on opposing gladiators. We'll have an awesome double kill.

Edit: Oh well if it's impossible just bet on my opponent then :wink:

Have we ever had a double kill? I cant see it happening unless its with two ranged fighters.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

SynthOrange posted:

Have we ever had a double kill? I cant see it happening unless its with two ranged fighters.

No, we haven't seen that. It wouldn't be possible without at least one ranged fighter, and I think it might need two, yeah.

Even so, the game would provide a "photo finish" by which it logged first, so we'd have a winner.

The Lone Badger posted:

Did he investigate the colouration of his opponents' kidneys?

Really, I don't think there was much left to look at when he was done.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

ZeeToo posted:

A goblin is small, craft and sneaky. A minotaur is huge and slightly more obvious. If I had to choose a mythological private dick, it wouldn't be the one with horns, just sayin'.

However, Matt does come with a maul, is cheap and presumably wouldn't be too averse to "having a word" with my opponents before a battle. Hmmmm.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Red Dragon posted:

A goblin is small, craft and sneaky. A minotaur is huge and slightly more obvious. If I had to choose a mythological private dick, it wouldn't be the one with horns, just sayin'.

However, Matt does come with a maul, is cheap and presumably wouldn't be too averse to "having a word" with my opponents before a battle. Hmmmm.

He also does a passable "Why no officer, I have no idea why this poor goblin is shredded and pulped just before his first match" innocent act.

(I'm getting way too into this idea. If only I was an artist. . .fedora, trenchcoat, giant godsdamned hammer. . .)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

No, we haven't seen that. It wouldn't be possible without at least one ranged fighter, and I think it might need two, yeah.

It's actually also possible via bleed-outs. If both gladiators die on the very same "step" of time, I'm not sure what I would do. I guess I would probably just go with whoever the logs record as having died first, but I'm pretty sure completely simultaneous death is actually possible.

Running some matches now, by the way.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Vox Nihili posted:

It's actually also possible via bleed-outs. If both gladiators die on the very same "step" of time, I'm not sure what I would do. I guess I would probably just go with whoever the logs record as having died first, but I'm pretty sure completely simultaneous death is actually possible.

Obviously, the correct thing to do in that situation would be to have a REMATCH! :black101:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ramping it up somehow, of course, such as by staging the fight on a 1-tile-wide catwalk over magma.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
And also the catwalk should be on fire.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm thinking of some sort of Dwarena Master, to generate random battle arenas similar to the Great Dworacle's challenges.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Obviously, the correct thing to do in that situation would be to have a REMATCH! :black101:

Swap equipment of the gladiators for fun, then REMATCH!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Add in a badgerman as a third party.

Klokwurk
Sep 18, 2010

I'm completely bloody shit at this!
Give them both slade boots and socks.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round One, Matches Twenty-Five and Twenty-Six:siren:

Match Twenty-Five, Theseus Cheetahman (Roonespism) vs. Elvira (ed_October_7000)

Theseus Cheetahman, tigerman, holds a "two-handed" sword in a single hand and an oak shield in the other. For armor, he wears a simple copper helm. Elvira the elf wears a pair of leather high boots that do not appear especially combat-ready and wields a steel scourge. Can Elvira pull off an unlikely victory, or will she be chopped to bits like an over-sized onion?

Elf and tigerman leap forward, ready and eager for battle! Elvira closes quickly and cuts her whip through the air with stunning precision, ripping an inch-deep cut through Cheetahman's foot!

Now Cheetahman makes his move, sprinting headlong at Elvira and swinging his sword over his head in a huge arc! But Elvira skips past and lashes him in the leg as he passes fruitlessly by, cutting into bone! Unfortunately for Elvira, the strike severs a sensory nerve, and Cheetahman is prevented from feeling what would otherwise be severe pain.

Before Cheetahman can turn around, Elvira delivers a devastating crack to Cheetahman's other leg, fracturing bone again! Cheetahman begins to falter.

With a quick turn, Cheetahman levels the playing field by bulldozing his opponent to the ground, then immediately stabs his massive sword through her chest, piercing straight through Elvira's right lung. Elvira rolls away from a second thrust, barely preserving her life. Cheetahman elects to scratch at the elf with his huge, clawed hand next, and manages to rip the flesh from her thumb. Elvira gets to her feet, staring at her ruined thumb in horror. Her mourning is cut short as Cheetahman's sword cleaves through her skull.

Combat Log

Note: Elvira got hugely unlucky on this. If her second hit hadn't severed that sensory nerve, or had severed a motor nerve as well, she would have had things in the bag. As it was, though, Cheetahman was able to sit on just "pain" status rather than "extreme pain." That final hit to Elvira's thumb pushed her weak elven constitution past "pain" and into "extreme pain," dooming her. Maybe I'll take out "sensory nerves" in a later version, as they don't seem to add much at the moment.

Match Twenty-Six, The Tickler (Chariot) vs. Eyeteeth III (Revenant Threshold)

The tickler, soldier ant woman, has an unusual armament. She carries two iron battle axes, each held using two of her four arms. Her vulnerable head is protected with an iron helmet, massively improving on her chitin exoskeleton. Eyeteeth III, werewolf, has an even more bizarre set of weapons: a copper scourge in one hand and a copper war hammer in the other. Someone is going to get annihilated- let's find out who!

Both opponents are fairly quick, and cross the arena with impressive speed, meeting exactly in the center. Eyeteeth strikes first, lashing at The Tickler, who jumps backward, avoiding the strike. Now The Tickler strikes out with one of her axes, but Eyeteeth absorbs the heavy blow against his taut scourge, then counters with that same weapon, missing entirely.

Eyetooth charges, sending The Tickler sprawling, but fails yet again to land a hit. Eyetooth swings wildly at the supine ant woman, but she parries and avoids strikes with skill, then gets back to her feet, only to be knocked down again, only to see the sequence repeat itself.

Standing once more, The Tickler raises her weapons to parry- but instead catches a swipe to the chest as Eyeteeth temporarily abandons the use of his apparently ineffectual weapon. Yet again, The Tickler is knocked to the floor, this time wounded. Eyeteeth immediately bites down on one of her arms, and with a sudden jerk, rips the appendage cleanly off of her body! He lashes her with his scourge as she flails about in pain and confusion.

But again, the Tickler rises, sees the coming charge, and jumps back, finally avoiding Eyeteeth's rush! The werewolf simply continues forward, though, bowling over the ant woman regardless, and the beat-down immediately begins. Eyeteeth makes use of all his weapons, be they hammer, scourge, teeth, or claws, and finally, The Tickler perishes of blood loss.

Combat Log

I'm still upset that Elvira did not win her fight after that heroic display, but The Tickler's fate is less surprising; the ant woman had the same weapon skill level as her opponent.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Maybe I'll take out "sensory nerves" in a later version, as they don't seem to add much at the moment.

Depends how rare they are I think, if rare then I think it adds a bit of ironic flavor but It could get annoying if it happens all the time. Since I haven't seen you mention it before I imagine it's pretty rare?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Revenant Threshold.... can I ask why you went with this design? That just seems odd.

I suppose it did let you win, so if you want to keep it a secret, okay. I'm just being nosy.

Chariot
Aug 24, 2010
Another first round loss to a tigerman for me. :(

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

Revenant Threshold.... can I ask why you went with this design? That just seems odd.

I suppose it did let you win, so if you want to keep it a secret, okay. I'm just being nosy.
Weird testing results, basically. That and trying to come up with an effective build in prior arena games and failing miserably left me open to odd designs.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm still upset that Elvira did not win her fight after that heroic display,...

Well I'm glad it's not just me then! I tested her against that exact build because I think that it's actualy quite good and she tore it to bits. Hell, in testing she even lost an arm and still triumphed. *sigh* I would be pissed right now but I ate my dinner in a Cold War bunker and I'm quite happy because of that, so, welp.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Revenant Threshold posted:

Weird testing results, basically. That and trying to come up with an effective build in prior arena games and failing miserably left me open to odd designs.

Is the idea to force your werewolf to mix in natural weapons?

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Vox Nihili posted:

Overall we should see a lot more fights happening.

:negative:

More pretty soon, Vox? Would be nice to get this first round done. <3

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Next up is my fight.

The anticipation is just going to make the victory (or, hypothetically, defeat) all the sweeter (more bitter).

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I'm doing betting a bit different this time, and it's not paying off.

Next time I'm gonna put all my money on one fight and hope everyone takes the bait and bets against me.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

VladTheEater posted:

:negative:

More pretty soon, Vox? Would be nice to get this first round done. <3

Maybe he's not doing fights because you assholes havent made this thread gold yet.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sorry guys, my main computer's hard drive had some sort of exciting fatal error, so I've been busy fixing that issue.

In 'celebration' of getting back into the midst of things, I'll be running a marathon session of fights tomorrow for at least 4 or 5 hours. Hopefully I can burn through a dozen or so matches!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Hurray for Vox, bringing entertainment to the masses! :woop:

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Sorry guys, my main computer's hard drive had some sort of exciting fatal error, so I've been busy fixing that issue.

Is there a count of how many times an LP has done serious damage to someone's computer?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Krysmphoenix posted:

Is there a count of how many times an LP has done serious damage to someone's computer?

Dwarf Fortress has done it at least three times I think, but I haven't heard of any other type of LP doing it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Dwarf Fortress has done it at least three times I think, but I haven't heard of any other type of LP doing it.

Wasn't it Dwarf Fortress that literally melted someone's computer around the time SyrupLeaf was happening?

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Every single LP by Jade Star, basically.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Astus posted:

Every single LP by Jade Star, basically.

Yep. Psion's hatred for his computer/LPs/existence knows no bounds.

talenramel
Feb 23, 2011
Is it possible to join in on the betting at this late point? Just came across this thread, and enjoyed reading the last tournament as it was winding down. Hoping to get in on some action this time.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

talenramel posted:

Is it possible to join in on the betting at this late point? Just came across this thread, and enjoyed reading the last tournament as it was winding down. Hoping to get in on some action this time.

Absolutely! You've been approved on the site, and you now have 1000 dorfbux to bet with as you choose.

talenramel
Feb 23, 2011
Thanks much. I won't lie, I did a bit of betting against SynthOrange. With his track record I'm not sure I can go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nooooooooo :smith:

• Locked thread