Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Robo-Pope posted:

My first game in my current league I took two sticks and a puck to the cage... in my first two shifts. Never dropping the cage after that.

Although I'm considering the shield/cage combo... gotta look like a Mighty Ducks villain.

A bunch of guys I play with wear these:

http://www.hockeyfaceshields.com/

They swear by them. I have been thinking about one, but to be honest, the cage really doesn't bother my vision at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
One dude in a beginner league I played in wore no shield and took a clearing attempt to the face that ramped up off his stick. He lost an eye.

Dude lost an eye in an adult newbie league.

His entire team wears full shields now, including himself when he was back playing in three weeks.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I played roller on Friday night with a lot of the guys I know from the rink, it was a great time since it was invite only, everyone brought food and beer to drink/grill and Colin Greening showed up to play along.

Besides being 6'3" and 210lbs, he was strong, fast, and obviously very good with the puck. I noticed a lot about how he was playing and it wasn't a lot of fancy moves, it was mostly body position and protecting the puck. I will give him the benefit of the doubt since he was playing roller and he didn't seem to be that great but I took the puck off of his stick a few times and he commented on how well I played D for a small guy. Playing D as a 5'10", 155lb guy against a monster like him was a feat but if you just work to stay between the player and the goalie, it usually works out if you can make him make all of the moves.

He wasn't the best at stopping on the surface so once or twice I looked over and saw him barreling towards me which promted me to forget about the puck and get out of the way.

I also took him down in the corner once and gave him a hand up asking if he was alright. :smug:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
If you guys remember me posting about this crazy dude on my team who would send 5+ paragraph emails about how to run the team. He quit the team because he didnt get to go out on the power play the last 2 min of our playoff game.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

oddIXIbbo posted:

You in the league? I know the Goon Squad (D-II) pretty well.
There are a few of us in that/those leagues
I play C at The Cube. Is that were the D-II goon squad plays? I'd probably come out for a game or two here and there.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Verman posted:

Besides being 6'3" and 210lbs, he was strong, fast, and obviously very good with the puck. I noticed a lot about how he was playing and it wasn't a lot of fancy moves, it was mostly body position and protecting the puck. I will give him the benefit of the doubt since he was playing roller and he didn't seem to be that great but I took the puck off of his stick a few times and he commented on how well I played D for a small guy.

This is the case for a lot of really good players - it's not the fancy stuff they do well (though they do that well, too), it's the fundamental stuff. We have a guy who plays on one of my roller teams who played in the juniors and just got a spot on a minor league team (forget the league) after attending a tryout. He's small (about the right size for a typical roller hotshot), but he's amazing at protecting the puck. You just can't get it off of him - he's always got his body in the way, and he's so quick that he can place it there at almost a moment's notice, so even if someone tries to change angles on him he's just always there. Also controls the puck unbelievably well along the boards.

It's the case in other sports as well. Whenever I rally with high caliber tennis players, their strengths aren't necessarily being able to blast a fancy shmancy winner from anywhere on the court. They're footwork, balance, staying low to the ground, always being in the right position, etc...

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Habibi posted:

It's the case in other sports as well. Whenever I rally with high caliber tennis players, their strengths aren't necessarily being able to blast a fancy shmancy winner from anywhere on the court. They're footwork, balance, staying low to the ground, always being in the right position, etc...

To me, the best comparison is in golf: those guys that do the "longest drive" competitions, they aren't PGA players, because yeah, they can do one thing, really really well, but they don't have the skill in the rest of the game to be useful, whereas a PGA player is good at EVERY aspect of the game.

Much like, there are guys that have absolute rockets of slappers, that can throw huge checks, or pull off the fanciest moves (see: youtube superstars) but that can never really stick with an NHL team, because they don't have all the skills needed to be an NHL player. a guy being "easy to knock off the puck" usually isn't just too small, but rather is lacking the skill that other players have at protecting the puck. As an example, you would think Hal loving Gill (6'7", 250) would be a beast with the puck, due to his size, but his complete lack of talent at puckhandling means he's easier to knock off the puck than David Desharnais, at 5'7", 180.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Minister Robathan posted:

As an example, you would think Hal loving Gill (6'7", 250) would be a beast with the puck, due to his size, but his complete lack of talent at puckhandling means he's easier to knock off the puck than David Desharnais, at 5'7", 180.

Wait, what?

The absolute shittiest guy in the NHL is un-loving-real in every aspect of the game compared to your average hockey scrub. Yeah, Gill's not as hard off the puck than, say, Joe Thornton, but these are minor comparatives.

(Offer not valid for 3-minute-per-game regular season goons).

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 30, 2011

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Dangerllama posted:

Wait, what?

The absolute shittiest guy in the NHL is un-loving-real in every aspect of the game compared to your average hockey scrub. Yeah, Gill's not as hard off the puck than, say, Joe Thornton, but these are minor comparatives.

(Offer not valid for 3-minute-per-game regular season goons).

Honestly even most enforcers would make the average beer leaguer look absolutely silly. To even get the limited amount of ice time they get the average enforcer needs to be able to skate at a fairly high level.

They also get the benefit of practicing with NHL players so even the least skilled enforcers can't help but get better.

If you see a high level player and you're not ridiculously impressed by their talents they are probably just loving around and really mailing it in because they are out with non pros.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

poser posted:

If you guys remember me posting about this crazy dude on my team who would send 5+ paragraph emails about how to run the team. He quit the team because he didnt get to go out on the power play the last 2 min of our playoff game.

lol I was wondering if you still had that craybird on your team.

Officiating seminar was kinda boring. A lot of stripes skating around on the ice too!

Also the ref gear is expensive as hell, even just the striped jersey and pants. And the whistles they recommend are $11.00 or $14.00!!

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 30, 2011

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Just played our first playoff roller game of the season. We went down initially but we ended the 1st period in a tie. The other teams goalie and defenseman were getting chippy drawing 3 penalties between the two, if the goalie got one more he would have been ejected from the game.

We ended up playing a more disciplined game than our opponent and ended up winning 6-3. I got a goal and hit about 10 posts. The one was the loudest post I've certainly ever rung. The goalie even told me it made his ears ring.

overall it was a good game, now thanks to labor day we have yet another week off. Boo.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are half shields or full cages required in many adult leagues? My only experience is with college hockey where full cages make drunk players absolutely invincible, but I had to get a new helmet to crawl back into skates again to try the beer leagues and didn't get any sort of mask for it. Nose sentence?

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

JollyPubJerk posted:

Are half shields or full cages required in many adult leagues? My only experience is with college hockey where full cages make drunk players absolutely invincible, but I had to get a new helmet to crawl back into skates again to try the beer leagues and didn't get any sort of mask for it. Nose sentence?

Highly variabile. Best to just call your local rink. All adult leagues will require you to wear a helmet, many will require you to wear at least a visor, but the requirement of face protection, and the enforcement of that rule, differs dramatically from league to league.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I took a puck in the cage last game on a defensive clear. It would have been 10 teeth if I didn't have it. I will always wear a cage.

I think you mean "10 units of hockey street cred"

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

JollyPubJerk posted:

Where I play they don't require a shield and lots of older guys don't wear one.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

JollyPubJerk posted:

Many beer leagues don't enforcement much equipment requirements anyway so a bare-minimum helmet without any visor is needed. I wear a visor but I would highly recommend anyone just starting out to wear the full outfit including cage and neck guard.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

dyn posted:

Many beer leagues don't enforcement much equipment requirements anyway so a bare-minimum helmet without any visor is needed. I wear a visor but I would highly recommend anyone just starting out to wear the full outfit including cage and neck guard.

This.

It's been said a lot before but I'll reiterate. At lower skill levels, especially beginner leagues you'll be falling a lot, so will everyone else, people wont be able to get out of the way quickly or have the body control to avoid hitting you or stepping on you, or falling on you.

Same goes with sticks, the lower the level the higher chance you have of being high sticked because people havent learned how to control their sticks properly.

It still happens at the higher levels as well, but not near as much.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I ordered a bunch of new gear and I'm pumped I finally get to use it tomorrow at some open hockey.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

This thread title. Played pickup last night, only 9 of us showed up so plenty of time to feel out of shape, and I played like crap. I couldn't pass, couldn't skate, couldnt do much. I ended up tweaking my back which messed up my skating which caused my knee to act up. Then I got hit in the chest with a wrist shot. I did have a couple of decent D plays though.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Fingers McGee posted:

This thread title. Played pickup last night, only 9 of us showed up so plenty of time to feel out of shape, and I played like crap. I couldn't pass, couldn't skate, couldnt do much. I ended up tweaking my back which messed up my skating which caused my knee to act up. Then I got hit in the chest with a wrist shot. I did have a couple of decent D plays though.

Play 4-on-4 with one on the bench. Take breaks every 15 minutes. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Local rink has some kids stuff going on all week so no chance for me to play. Thankfully Levi Leipheimer, Cadel Evans, and the Schleck brothers were in town so I got to do a little road biking to make up for it.

Seriously. Although there is no substitute conditioner for hockey, cycling at anaerobic threshold comes very close.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

How durable are the RBK socks? I've been wearing knit socks but I shred a pair every few months, I figure if the Reeboks last twice as long I'll break even on the cost.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thufir posted:

How durable are the RBK socks? I've been wearing knit socks but I shred a pair every few months, I figure if the Reeboks last twice as long I'll break even on the cost.

They last about half the time of the knit socks in my experience

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Thufir posted:

I've been wearing knit socks but I shred a pair every few months

Is this ice? How often are you playing? I still have a pair of knit socks I picked up four or five years ago.

Are you playing on a crochet needle surface?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Dangerllama posted:

Is this ice? How often are you playing? I still have a pair of knit socks I picked up four or five years ago.

I tear up knit socks too, to be honest.

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*

D C posted:

Oh poo poo, yeah I was gonna say if you were up for some help I live 10 minutes from RIC. They have stick and puck from 9am to 3pm monday thru friday.

Sorry for the late response, but hell yeah that would be awesome. This week is a little busy but how about next? Also, can I just show up with skates, stick, gloves and a helmet? That's all the gear that I have for now. Also mind you I've never handled a puck on ice before :ohdear:

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Angry Asian posted:

Sorry for the late response, but hell yeah that would be awesome. This week is a little busy but how about next? Also, can I just show up with skates, stick, gloves and a helmet? That's all the gear that I have for now. Also mind you I've never handled a puck on ice before :ohdear:

If you've never felt a puck slide on ice, prepare for awesomeness. Also prepare to chase after it a lot.

My Tron socks (similar to the RBK style) lasted about 12 games. They have some small holes but not in need of replacement just yet. Knit socks last me about a year (4 seasons)

I block a lot of shots on defense so ymmv.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dangerllama posted:

They must fall a lot.

For you noobies out there, how do you feel when someone good is out there playing with you, but obviously isn't even giving 30%? Would you rather the be undressing people to ensure a 'win' or do you not care as long as they are passing?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
SWEAT

PANTS

Thufir
May 19, 2004

JollyPubJerk posted:

They must fall a lot.

For you noobies out there, how do you feel when someone good is out there playing with you, but obviously isn't even giving 30%? Would you rather the be undressing people to ensure a 'win' or do you not care as long as they are passing?

Yep.

The only time I care about winning is league games. If someone on my team is undressing people left and right they probably belong at a higher level. The last few games of my summer season we needed a bunch of subs and ended up with a lot of ringers and while it was nice to get passes right on my stick all the time it was kind of embarrassing how much we demolished other teams. I'd rather lose a few evenly-matched games than win every one 12-4 and have the other team pissed off at the end.

If it's pickup then whatever, it's all in fun, go as hard as you want.

bewbies posted:

SWEAT

PANTS

Actual locker room quote from a few games ago: "Are we playing the team with that weird old guy in sweatpants?" "Yeah, that guy's so weird."

Thufir fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 31, 2011

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

I'm making my own broomball stick -- what sort of glue should I use to anchor the head to the shaft? It's an aluminum lacrosse shaft and some sort of plastic head. Would any sort of universal bonding agent work is there something that will work better in a rink environment?

Also, I fell in a collision and got a really bad hip pointer so I'm looking into some sort of player girdle -- what's cheap and offers some protection? It's a no contact league but the ice surface never got that memo :smith:

Don't think anyone addressed this, but I've always used a hot glue gun to secure broomball heads, along with a self tapping screw or two through the head into the shaft of the stick. Never had one come off that way.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Thufir posted:

Actual locker room quote from a few games ago: "Are we playing the team with that weird old guy in sweatpants?" "Yeah, that guy's so weird."
Our league has a guy known only as Cargo Pants. He's pretty good, but it's difficult to notice over the choice of legwear.
I'm not sure how he even found cargo pants that fit over full hockey gear.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
For those of you that live in cities, and don't have a garage, what is your gear storage solution? Right now everything's arranged to dry in the far corner of my room, but after 4 months or so of playing it's finally starting to get a healthy locker room smell to it. I could probably put the grosser things outside (gloves, skates) but I live in SF where it's foggy and damp a lot of the time, and also I'm not excited about having spiders or other creatures setting up shop inside things over the week.

Does anyone just let it dry overnight or whatever then stuff it all back into the bag? I'm worried that just because it feels dry doesn't mean it actually is.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

robcat posted:

For those of you that live in cities, and don't have a garage, what is your gear storage solution? Right now everything's arranged to dry in the far corner of my room, but after 4 months or so of playing it's finally starting to get a healthy locker room smell to it. I could probably put the grosser things outside (gloves, skates) but I live in SF where it's foggy and damp a lot of the time, and also I'm not excited about having spiders or other creatures setting up shop inside things over the week.

Does anyone just let it dry overnight or whatever then stuff it all back into the bag? I'm worried that just because it feels dry doesn't mean it actually is.

I have an extra room in my apartment that I keep bikes and guitars and junk in. I ran a clothesline across the room and hang up my hockey stuff as soon as I get home. My shinpads seem to stay damp longest so I set them on top of an HVAC vent if the heat/air is on.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

MiamiKid posted:

Don't think anyone addressed this, but I've always used a hot glue gun to secure broomball heads, along with a self tapping screw or two through the head into the shaft of the stick. Never had one come off that way.

I got it together but there's an awful lot of flex in the stick so i'm not ready to glue the head to the handle yet. It's secure with two screws and some tape which ought to be "enough" so long as I have my other stick as a backup for when the head eventually falls off.

I'm sort of looking at a Brine Swizzle Scandium stick because it's dirt cheap and should offer less flex. I'm still not even sure if there's too much flex on the current stick but I'm not $60 sure yet. I may just play a few games with the current one (that I hope isn't illegal :ssh:, I made it 54" so I could keep my head up while possessing the ball) I'll probably do something stupid and sweet-talk the local lax store to drop the price on one of the titanium sticks. I just wish goalie handles were a bit longer so I don't have to pay premium for a defense handle :(

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

robcat posted:

I live in Chicago so I feel your city-hockey pain.

I set my stuff out for a day or two after a game so that it dries. Luckily for me I have a back porch which is totally enclosed so I set all of my stuff out on my work bench and open the windows. When my stuff is dry I put it back into my bag until the next game.

Look at getting a gear tree, its like a coat rack for your hockey gear. Some are made out of PVC and have a fan in the base to pump air through the pipes and into your gear. You could easily make one for cheap, even with a fan. All it would take is a few feet of PVC, a drill, a saw, some glue. For a fan, a friend of mine uses his shop vac in reverse, goes right into the pvc.

I try to wash my jerseys/socks/skate socks/shin guard knee gasket often ... My jock goes into the shower every time right after a game. Between cycling, soccer, and hockey, I can typically have a load of synthetic garments every week so my stuff stays pretty clean smelling. The key is to never let wet gear sit in your bag. Airing it out will make a huge difference by itself.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
My old place had a garage so my roommate and I aired our stuff out in there and it smelled horrible. Now I live with my FIANCEE and use a utility closet and try to air my gear out before I put it in there but I have a piss happy kitty so it makes it hard.

robcat posted:

:words:
What rink you play at?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bewbies posted:

SWEAT

PANTS

banned from the last 2 leagues I've played in or subbed for. I'll wear em at the tournament though, seems like the best way to stay warm when you're playing outside

sellouts fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 31, 2011

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

sellouts posted:

banned from the last 2 leagues I've played in or subbed for.

Why?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zorkon posted:

Why?

I'm going guess "durr, it's not official hockey equipment therefore it's dangerous" when the actual reason is they think it looks stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dumb league rulebook posted:

UNIFORMS
19.1. All players must have a Home (WHITE) and Away (DARK) matching team jersey.
19.1.a. Color and patterns must be the same.
19.1.a.xviii. Jersey crests are optional.
19.1.b. All players must have an assigned number (no duplicates with another player) that is
permanently attached on the back.
19.1.b.xix. Tape or markers are not allowed
19.1.c. All players must wear color-coordinated socks.
19.1.c.xx. Sweat pants are not allowed

So basically "we are a classy establishment that has matching uniforms" (too many players skate with their head down and everyone looks the same lol)

So yeah, if your team has a Toronto jerseys you can't just get a blue plain practice jersey. I was drafted on a team that had Maine jerseys once, that was fun to track down.