Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just want to rant in here that the PPI study book seems like a good reference but their Practice Problems booklet is extremely frustrating. I have been going through the chapters in the excellent reference book, working through the examples on my own. Then I do the corresponding practice problems in their book and I swear they don't correspond at all.
Oh, we're going to solve that problem using Laplace transforms when we talk about how to use it in 3 chapters from now. Oh, we didn't talk about this poo poo at all yet but we're going to ask you questions on it. It's clear they weren't written with each other in mind to work this way. In this way I think some of these chapters are pretty poor to prep for the exam.

Using Cramer's rule to solve for 3 simultaneous equations has been so fun on my HP-33S though :fuckoff:. I can't imagine the real exam is going to require all of that work so in that sense it's nice to adjust my difficulty now so that the exam seems easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

There's no longer any reason whatsoever to spend money on a graphing calculator. At home you can use WolframAlpha, or Mathematica if your school has a student license set up, which is leagues above anything a handheld calculator can do. If you need a fancy calculator to pass a test, you don't actually understand the material, and will probably bomb the test anyway.

I'd still be taking dynamics tests if I couldn't use the simultaneous equation solver on my ti89.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

If you need a fancy calculator to pass a test, you don't actually understand the material, and will probably bomb the test anyway.

tests tend to have limits to the amount of time you have to take them, you could spend a lot of time dicking around with the algebra/trig/whatever or you could put the equations into your overpriced handheld calculator to instantly do the dirty work for you and then move on to what the test is actually about.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
The SIMULT function on the 86 is so much faster than using symbolic stuff on the 89. Partial fraction expansion I found equally more intuitive. You'd really have even more time on your exams without the 89's interface getting in your way. There's obviously a lot of love on here for the 89 and I'm glad it worked well for you guys but for me pretty print and all of that stuff was slow and worthless for most anything past Calculus I for me. I'm just trying to offer a different POV.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

There's no longer any reason whatsoever to spend money on a graphing calculator. At home you can use WolframAlpha, or Mathematica if your school has a student license set up, which is leagues above anything a handheld calculator can do. If you need a fancy calculator to pass a test, you don't actually understand the material, and will probably bomb the test anyway.

You need a graphing calculator to handle matrices if nothing else. It can save a ton of time on tests. Besides, most people don't understand the concepts perfectly, hence why not everyone gets %100 on every test. An extra boost can be helpful. And this is coming from someone who took Calc I-III, DE and Linear Algebra without a calculator.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Frinkahedron posted:

I'd still be taking dynamics tests if I couldn't use the simultaneous equation solver on my ti89.

This is the goddamned truth.

TI-89. For whatever people complain about it for, its durable, simple, and provides all the power you could ask for in a calculator. $150 to erase my algebra mistakes throughout my collegiate career was 100% worth it. TI-89 is tried and true, there's a reason its a popular calculator.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

If you need a fancy calculator to pass a test, you don't actually understand the material, and will probably bomb the test anyway.

Its much easier to a write a test if you assume that the students have a calculator. In engineering things sometimes can't be pretty.

T.H.E. Rock
Sep 13, 2007
;)
I had a lot of professors ban the TI-89 specifically or sometimes calculators in general. They were generally the old rear end in a top hat professors (I'm looking at you, heat transfer prof who insisted on answers in BTUs but gave out charts in metric and banned calculators until the last 10 minutes). You should probably make sure you'll have access to a TI-83 if professors ban the -89 at your school.

I'm currently working in PCB design but have a degree in ME and can see myself moving back that way eventually. Will this experience be useful at all or will I end up pigeonholed in PCBs?

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Allowing a calculator like a TI-89 allows a professor to more thoroughly test for material understanding because it means you don't have to dumb the test questions down to make them reasonable to do by hand.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

T.H.E. Rock posted:

I had a lot of professors ban the TI-89 specifically or sometimes calculators in general. They were generally the old rear end in a top hat professors (I'm looking at you, heat transfer prof who insisted on answers in BTUs but gave out charts in metric and banned calculators until the last 10 minutes). You should probably make sure you'll have access to a TI-83 if professors ban the -89 at your school.

I'm currently working in PCB design but have a degree in ME and can see myself moving back that way eventually. Will this experience be useful at all or will I end up pigeonholed in PCBs?

PCB Design is your experience, but if you have any previous ME experience, you should be good to go outside of the field. I assume you want to get away from PCB design entirely?

I've been using the 59G more lately, but either one (89 or 59G) gets the job done. That new NSpire looks ridiculous, holy poo poo.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Actual maths classes at my uni forbid calculators (that is, all the calculus/linear algebra stuff) or only allowed basic, non-programmable 'dumb' calculators.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nam Taf posted:

Actual maths classes at my uni forbid calculators (that is, all the calculus/linear algebra stuff) or only allowed basic, non-programmable 'dumb' calculators.

This of course is quite reasonable. Even where advanced calculators were allowed in math classes I found that they really just got in the way. Mathematicians seem to be pretty good at designing tests that don't require calculators.

I do remember one math class that allowed calculators on exams - Numerical Methods. It was a trap. :)

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I want to go to grad school. I feel like my BSEE gave me a good background in everything, but feeling stagnant at my current job has me thinking that I'd really like to go more in depth on the topics I'm interested in - modeling & embedded controls for electric machines. I have three years of work experience in this area.

However, my undergrad GPA sucks - it's a 2.74, if I'm not mistaken. There wasn't any trend, I just generally got mediocre grades because I didn't apply myself. I'm worried about how to show that I'm internally motivated now. I'm worried about recommendation letters - my boss will write me a glowing one but I need two more.

Ideally, I'd like to go to grad school in Colorado. CU Boulder is probably out of reach and Mines might be too but I'm hoping I can find a way into CSU Ft. Collins.

So, what the gently caress do I do? I'm already taking the GRE next week. One thing I've been thinking about a lot recently is just quitting my job, moving to the Denver area, finding a new job once I get there, and meanwhile taking non-degree graduate-level classes. Is this a stupid idea/career suicide?

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 26, 2011

Bluebottle
Jan 30, 2008

MrBlandAverage posted:

~grad school~

Best advice I can give would be for you to try to contact or meet a professor you would like to work with. If you can go to maybe an IEEE conference or some other meeting where you're likely to meet someone who works in your area of interest and just talk to some folks then that would be great. Let them know you might be interested in working with them and where you're coming from and I think you'll find it will open up some possibilities for you. You can also just check out websites of the schools you would like to go to and email or call professors who are doing work you're interested in. Also the graduate coordinator for the department you are interested in is a particularly good person to ask about this kind of stuff. I've heard anecdotally that EE particularly has very few American students who come back for PhD's, so there's something going for you in addition to what sounds like some really good work experience.

I think most grad schools say they want at least a 3.0 gpa, but at the same time it's the EE department that would really be admitting you (and hopefully paying you) so they'll probably have some flexibility there. If you can do well on the GRE it helps obviously.

Tangentially related: I think they're just starting with a new version of the GRE where they let you use a calculator on the math section? Previously I thought the math was pretty easy and the challenge mainly came from the time limit and having to do your own number crunching, so that could be an interesting change.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bluebottle posted:

I think most grad schools say they want at least a 3.0 gpa, but at the same time it's the EE department that would really be admitting you (and hopefully paying you) so they'll probably have some flexibility there. If you can do well on the GRE it helps obviously.

One issue is that you may need to get admitted to a dept and meet the graduate school's overall requirements. Thus, there is some sort of global GPA and GRE requirement at each school. This is often somewhere in the 2.75 region for GPA.

There are ways around this though, options include being admitted on the condition that you do so well the first semester or requiring a postbacc.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

There are ways around this though, options include being admitted on the condition that you do so well the first semester or requiring a postbacc.

I had to do this to get into part time grad school. I had a 2.89 or something in undergrad. I got a few letters of rec. from my bosses or whatever and had to take 5 extra course (3 undergrad level and 2 grad level, not for credit towards the degree) only after I completed the first 5 they would let me into the masters program.

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.

mitztronic posted:

Anyone have any experience going from America to work in France or UK?
This is from a couple pages back, but I recently did the former. Anything in specific that you'd like to know?

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

"a phlegmatic...and certainly undemonstrative [robot]"

MrBlandAverage posted:

I want to go to grad school. I feel like my BSEE gave me a good background in everything, but feeling stagnant at my current job has me thinking that I'd really like to go more in depth on the topics I'm interested in - modeling & embedded controls for electric machines. I have three years of work experience in this area.

However, my undergrad GPA sucks - it's a 2.74, if I'm not mistaken. There wasn't any trend, I just generally got mediocre grades because I didn't apply myself. I'm worried about how to show that I'm internally motivated now. I'm worried about recommendation letters - my boss will write me a glowing one but I need two more.

Ideally, I'd like to go to grad school in Colorado. CU Boulder is probably out of reach and Mines might be too but I'm hoping I can find a way into CSU Ft. Collins.

So, what the gently caress do I do? I'm already taking the GRE next week. One thing I've been thinking about a lot recently is just quitting my job, moving to the Denver area, finding a new job once I get there, and meanwhile taking non-degree graduate-level classes. Is this a stupid idea/career suicide?

Why don't you just look for a new job that has a greater focus on your interests? I'd avoid going back to school, if possible.

T.H.E. Rock
Sep 13, 2007
;)

movax posted:

PCB Design is your experience, but if you have any previous ME experience, you should be good to go outside of the field. I assume you want to get away from PCB design entirely?

Most likely out of PCB field entirely. EE really isn't my thing and the mechanical jobs in circuit boards don't seem too interesting. I don't actually have any job experience in ME - this is my first job out of school and I had no internships. I'm totally OK going to grad school (provided it's paid for) if need be. Mostly I'm just worried that it'll be difficult to get a job outside of this area if I end up staying more than 2 years.

The bastard of it is that I had a really good shot at getting a job in composites but they didn't get back to me about interviewing until after I had started this job.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

MrBlandAverage posted:

This was my situation heading into grad school. I was lucky enough to want to go to the same school as my undergrad, so I was able to do undergrad research and get to know the professor I wanted to work under. When the time came, he pledged his support to the admin/admissions people. I have to take a semester of classes part time to "prove" that I can handle graduate work and then I can get accepted full time. I'm still getting paid as a GRA and everything so in the long run its not a giant hurdle, just extra steps.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Speaking of undergraduate research, what's the best way to get involved in that? I know I should get to know professors and find out what's going on, but it seems kind of strange to me as a random name in class to come up and ask if they need any help in their research. I would really love to do something and I have some areas in mind, but I'm not sure how to broach the subject. I'm in my first senior year in aerospace without an internship or anything subject related to my name; I feel like if I don't get something on my resume I'm pretty much consigned to the military after graduation. Frinkahedron or Dead Pressed, maybe one of you can comment, I'm a Hokie as well.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Keep an eye out on your department listserv and definitely ask your professors before/after class. I guarantee they'll be helpful. Professors are always looking for suckers lab rats undergraduate researchers to help them or their grad students out. If you can think of a cool idea that could be a semester or two semester project, they sometimes can help you out by giving you the independent study credit and work space.

Also if aerospace has a student professional organization like ASME, hit up their meetings.

fake edit: Although since it's 3 days after the start of the semester, it might be too late to do research for credit by now. Still, ask your professors. You might still be able to start a project that you can list on your resume.

T.H.E. Rock
Sep 13, 2007
;)

Kolodny posted:

Speaking of undergraduate research, what's the best way to get involved in that? I know I should get to know professors and find out what's going on, but it seems kind of strange to me as a random name in class to come up and ask if they need any help in their research. I would really love to do something and I have some areas in mind, but I'm not sure how to broach the subject. I'm in my first senior year in aerospace without an internship or anything subject related to my name; I feel like if I don't get something on my resume I'm pretty much consigned to the military after graduation. Frinkahedron or Dead Pressed, maybe one of you can comment, I'm a Hokie as well.
I had nothing more impressive on graduation than internet writing and a bizarre senior project (hell yes I put that on my resume!), and I got a bunch of interviews and a job in a couple weeks. Don't worry, you'll be OK.

All you have to do is go talk to the professor and not come off as a weirdo. If they have any openings they'll suggest them. If they don't have any, ask if they know anyone who could use some help. At your stage any kind of research will be helpful, especially if it gives you someone to use as a reference.

EEEliminator
Aug 28, 2011

Hed posted:

I just want to rant in here that the PPI study book seems like a good reference but their Practice Problems booklet is extremely frustrating. I have been going through the chapters in the excellent reference book, working through the examples on my own. Then I do the corresponding practice problems in their book and I swear they don't correspond at all.
Oh, we're going to solve that problem using Laplace transforms when we talk about how to use it in 3 chapters from now. Oh, we didn't talk about this poo poo at all yet but we're going to ask you questions on it. It's clear they weren't written with each other in mind to work this way. In this way I think some of these chapters are pretty poor to prep for the exam.

Using Cramer's rule to solve for 3 simultaneous equations has been so fun on my HP-33S though :fuckoff:. I can't imagine the real exam is going to require all of that work so in that sense it's nice to adjust my difficulty now so that the exam seems easier.

Using the PPI study book too and DVDs. I find it frustrating as well, the DVDs are pretty straight forward and so are the sample problems that come with them. Then I go to the Practice Problems book and the problems take 5x-10x longer to complete and they're using formulas from sections I haven't completed yet. It's difficult to judge how much time to spend on each subject or how in depth. I'm just going to grind through the discs all the way through the afternoon session then take a practice exam or parts of it and see how much time I really need. Running out of time, would have started earlier if I had planned on self studying originally.

Pizer
Aug 8, 2004
Is the PPI the best or one of the best study books to use for the FE? I've got that lined up this fall, EE.

Pizer fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 31, 2011

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
All I can say is that I used it and passed. I believe they have a money-back guarantee on it as well. Personally, I thought it was worth the cash. (for other disciplines)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just went to the Uni review sessions and passed with no problems. Honestly the FE just isn't that difficult, you just need to know the tricks like using a different method to solve the problem instead of the implied complicated process/number crunching. I think it was 4 evenings and I went to the 3 that weren't EE-focused. Work some practice problems and get familiar with their reference and your allowed calculator.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Understeer posted:

This is from a couple pages back, but I recently did the former. Anything in specific that you'd like to know?

Everything you're willing to tell. What was the process like? What was the field? Did it work pretty well?

Do you have a dual citizenship?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Do some practice FE problems, study up on where you're weak, and you should do fine; the FE has a pretty high pass rate. Print out a copy of the FE reference manual and buy an FE-permitted calculator, and do all the practice with those. Also, note that every problem on the FE exam has a trivial answer. If you're spending a lot of time crunching numbers, you're doing it the wrong way. (I found it WAY easier than the practice problems.)

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!
is bioE still a worthless degree?

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

grover posted:

Do some practice FE problems, study up on where you're weak, and you should do fine; the FE has a pretty high pass rate. Print out a copy of the FE reference manual and buy an FE-permitted calculator, and do all the practice with those. Also, note that every problem on the FE exam has a trivial answer. If you're spending a lot of time crunching numbers, you're doing it the wrong way. (I found it WAY easier than the practice problems.)

Gotta agree with this. The FE is not an overly difficult test.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Totally Negro posted:

It's still recommended to specialize in whatever aspect of bioengineering you want to get into. Mechanical and electrical engineers can get plenty of experience in that field.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Totally Negro posted:

e: nevermind, thought you said bio+EE

Corrupted
Mar 22, 2003
nerd.

grover posted:

I agree on the difficulty. The practice book problems were much harder than the actual exam. I thought the second half would be more difficult than the first (and maybe like the harder book problems. The difficulty increase from first to second half was almost nothing.

I studied maybe 4 hours in total. Didn't pass by much, but it doesn't matter because nobody sees that.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Totally Negro posted:

I think it's a better graduate degree than it is an undergraduate degree. Better you master a specific discipline like ME or EE, and then specialize in graduate school (maybe after a year or two of work). A good friend of mine graduated with ME, worked for Chrysler for two years and is now at Georgia Tech's prosthetics program, #1 in the country. As a bonus, he's also got a cool $40k or so stashed in his bank account.

Corrupted: they don't show you your exact score, do they? I just got "Passed", I was curious as to how much I passed by, as I didn't study whatsoever and kinda winged it. (And as I mentioned in this thread earlier I think, some fuckwit stole my calculator during break so I did all the math in my head for the EE portion)

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

movax posted:

I think it's a better graduate degree than it is an undergraduate degree. Better you master a specific discipline like ME or EE, and then specialize in graduate school (maybe after a year or two of work). A good friend of mine graduated with ME, worked for Chrysler for two years and is now at Georgia Tech's prosthetics program, #1 in the country. As a bonus, he's also got a cool $40k or so stashed in his bank account.

Corrupted: they don't show you your exact score, do they? I just got "Passed", I was curious as to how much I passed by, as I didn't study whatsoever and kinda winged it. (And as I mentioned in this thread earlier I think, some fuckwit stole my calculator during break so I did all the math in my head for the EE portion)
From what i know for a short period of time, maybe a few years, you actually did receive your actual score. Now it's back to the pass/fail method.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

SB35 posted:

From what i know for a short period of time, maybe a few years, you actually did receive your actual score. Now it's back to the pass/fail method.
IIRC, it was just 2 test cycles, and not all states reported the scores to students. I was fortunate enough to get my real scores for both FE and PE, which I took back-to-back 6 months apart. I studied my rear end off for the FE and was way overprepared- I just blew it away and left 2 hours early. I didn't make the same mistake on the PE- I studied enough to pass the test (and did so by a wide margin), but didn't spend anywhere near as much time as I did studying for the FE.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

~

Dr. Mantis Toboggan fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 11, 2021

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

movax posted:

I hope this guy didn't pass and never got a job as an engineer because that's such a scuzzy thing to do.