Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Washed my doriftu machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Installed a new rear window switch in my Bronco. Bought one off eBay for $10 when every other seller wanted $40-50. Installed it and it works perfectly and I don't have to get out and use the key to open the window.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
old and busted...

...new hotness

My brother gave me the old one for a gift, he got it from his old job and he replaced the piston and cylinder and stuff. It worked 'okay' for a year or so but the motor died horribly today.

I picked up this Craftsman locally after purchasing online for $480 out the door. It's pretty pricey, but after dealing with used just for a while it's nice to have something brand new and working perfectly. It's oil filled and super quiet :)

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Another blown 7M headgasket. :negative:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

aventari posted:

old and busted...

...new hotness

My brother gave me the old one for a gift, he got it from his old job and he replaced the piston and cylinder and stuff. It worked 'okay' for a year or so but the motor died horribly today.

I picked up this Craftsman locally after purchasing online for $480 out the door. It's pretty pricey, but after dealing with used just for a while it's nice to have something brand new and working perfectly. It's oil filled and super quiet :)

I have an older iron cylinder campbell hausfeld with no muffler. Some day i will own a sexy vertical IR that runs whisper quiet :cry:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Today was 'wash and detail' day for the 89T.

I really, really, really, really intend on flipping this car, but I'm falling in love with it. :downsgun:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Viggen posted:

I really, really, really, really intend on flipping this car, but I'm falling in love with it. :downsgun:

So when is the manual transmission swap happening?

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
That must be like driving a teddy bear.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Found my boost leak. Or one of them...

Friggin $12 part - http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Intake/Breather_Hoses/ES251440/

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Put a new to me hood, fenders, radiator frame, and front wiring harness, and a brand new radiator in the Jimmy. It almost looks like a truck again! A very redneck, primer gray forward of the doors truck, but nonetheless I can finally continue driving it into the ground.

And I only earned a broken toe and a possibly cracked rib in the process.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Rolled over a new milestone on the E46.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
sup milestone buddy

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

dissss posted:

So when is the manual transmission swap happening?

I don't know. If I keep it, there's no way it's staying with this awful 3 speed. Sure, it's doing 70 at 3kRPM, but.. it's doing 70 at 3kRPM. :gonk:

DogDodger posted:

That must be like driving a teddy bear.

The seats under it are perfect - some prior owner redid everything in '04 according to receipts, so I don't want to mess them up. The dog's taken a shining to them. She spent about 5 minutes 'grooming' the seats while I was blasting around the Windex. It was adorable, if not a little wet. :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had a coupon for a cheap "The Works" service at Ford so I took the Lightning in and had them look at the temp gauge while I was there. They said it's just the gauge and the truck doesn't have any overheating issues, it's purely a mechanical defect in the gauge. Problem is, the part is long out of stock so if I want to fix it I have to find an entire cluster on ebay. He suggested I just get an external temp gauge and wire it in next to the fog light switch.
So on the way to autozone the gauge is now working normally. Whatever they did when they tested it seems to have fixed it!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

I had a coupon for a cheap "The Works" service at Ford so I took the Lightning in and had them look at the temp gauge while I was there. They said it's just the gauge and the truck doesn't have any overheating issues, it's purely a mechanical defect in the gauge. Problem is, the part is long out of stock so if I want to fix it I have to find an entire cluster on ebay. He suggested I just get an external temp gauge and wire it in next to the fog light switch.
So on the way to autozone the gauge is now working normally. Whatever they did when they tested it seems to have fixed it!

Ten bucks on corroded connection on the sensor. Removing the wire is usually enough t o scrape it clean and restore contact.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ozmiander posted:

Ten bucks on corroded connection on the sensor. Removing the wire is usually enough t o scrape it clean and restore contact.

Quite possibly. Gonna take the truck on a short road trip this weekend so I'm glad it's all hunky dory now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Why yes, I did want to swap an alternator when it's 105 outside! And I did have $173 for a new one! :fuckoff:

At least it crapped out pretty close to home - 5 or 6 miles - and the battery still had 12.1 volts when I pulled into the driveway. Old alternator was making a really weird noise and was making a horrible burning smell when I got home. But it's right up on top, so it only took about 30 minutes to swap.

Reman Napa alternator w/lifetime warranty: $155 + tax. It was only $10 extra for the lifetime warranty vs the 3 year warranty.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

some texas redneck posted:

Reman Napa alternator w/lifetime warranty: $155 + tax. It was only $10 extra for the lifetime warranty vs the 3 year warranty.

Given the threads about your car, I would have saved :10bux: for tomorrows' fix.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
you sure it wasn't the belt? A loose belt can make noise and a horrible burning smell.

edit: nvrmnd, i guess if you put a voltmeter on the battery you looked to make sure the alt was turning properly

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Viggen posted:

Given the threads about your car, I would have saved :10bux: for tomorrows' fix.

V:mad:V NOW LISTEN HERE THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS CAR IT'S A PERFECTLY GOOD WELL MAINTA... ah gently caress it you're right, something else WILL break tomorrow. :geno: Still, 147k out of the original alternator ain't too bad.

aventari posted:

you sure it wasn't the belt? A loose belt can make noise and a horrible burning smell.

True enough, but that belt also spins the water pump and power steering pump. It didn't overheat and my arms don't look like Popeye's arms yet. Also it was a rather distinct electrical smell.. I was torn between driving it the rest of the way or getting it towed since the alternator released some of its magic smoke.

Anyway, it's got 13.8 volts while running now. A little lower than before, it would do about 14.5. But it stays at 13.8 even if I turn everything on that's capable of drawing electricity.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Replaced H3s in foglamps, which I had already replaced lenses to earlier this week.

Used gasoline-safe epoxy on the gas filler plastic (not structural, but unsightly), and gave it a slathering of black vinyl all around - good as new!

Tore off front license plate holder, wipers, bolts & screws - and gave them a blast of black high-temp rustoleum. 4 or 5 times. When dry, will put back on car.

Final task to do is to gently clean/paint the exhaust port; it looks ugly after 23 years, despite no rust, and I really like how my 'repainted' exhaust shroud came out on the 2K.

Then, time to find her a new home! :3:

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Finally put the ZJ springs off a V8 model on my MJ, I've had them for almost 4 years and just got around to it. They lifted it about an inch and look much better. While I was at it I put in new shocks, control arm bushings and sway bar bushings. The drivers side soft brake like was almost completely worn through so I went ahead and did that as well. I think I've officially replaced everything on the front end of that truck now, and after bleeding the brakes it is stopping much better. Why do I have to love this money pit so much? One of these days I'm going to have to either fix the body or stop putting money into the rest of it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Pulled the intake manifold. Been blowing oil all over and making mess.

Tomorrow it will go back on with new gaskets and a PCV system.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Fabbed a new license plate light for the daughter's Neon. The old light was gone, so I got a $6 Dorman light and cut some sheet aluminum to fit the opening.

Oil change on the $50 T-Bird, followed by a quick cleaning of the engine bay. On the way home from the car wash, I spotted a DeVillbiss 2400 pressure washer on the curb with a sign that read, "Trash, Take me."

One carb rebuild kit later, I have a pressure washer. W00t!

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
I bought it a new AFM that turned out to be a knock off that's just pissing air.

Oh, and the guy doing my dyno found another boost-leak called the "inter-cooler and all its pipework."

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tried another set of LEDs. Much, much better than the ones I tried before. Now I just need to actually clean the clear plastic over the cluster and get some itty bitty ones for the climate control. Half of the climate control hasn't lit up since I've owned the car, and I'd like it to match the cluster.

Used two sets of these LEDs. Dirt cheap (I've found the same ones for $15/each from US based sellers) and far brighter than the original bulbs.

Also one of these for the dome light. Seems to be a little brighter than the original bulb, though the "fade to off" dimming crap that the car does when you close the doors ... doesn't work with this. It just stays on, then flickers a couple of times and goes off when it tries to dim. I'm sure it's because of the way the body control module tries to dim the bulb.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

some texas redneck posted:

I'm sure it's because of the way the body control module tries to dim the bulb.

Yeah, pretty much. Remember that Apple was the first 'blinking/fading LED', and it's still considered a pretty neat hack, since before that, just slowly drop off the feed, and it would fade with a normal bulb.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Long overdue ATF service, and I managed to break the clip that holds the headlight knob onto the stick it's attached to while trying to get at the dash cluster. Good thing it's just a piece of plastic.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Viggen posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Remember that Apple was the first 'blinking/fading LED', and it's still considered a pretty neat hack, since before that, just slowly drop off the feed, and it would fade with a normal bulb.

Well, that's how the body control module dims the bulb to off, and how the light behaves with a normal bulb in the socket after closing the doors (on for about 30 seconds before dimming to off). But the particular LED I got has its own voltage driver, like a higher end LED flashlight. So it's on at full brightness until the voltage drops too low for the driver to keep it lit - it'll flicker for a moment before going off completely.

I did notice today it's not any brighter than the bulb it replaced except for right under it - but the lens over the bulb diffuses it enough that it's about as bright as the original bulb it replaced anywhere else in the car. I was hoping it'd be brighter, particularly since it has two 1W LEDs, but I think if I'm going to be able to do that I'll have to get a small LED panel and stick it to the inside of the lens. Dealextreme has them pretty cheap, complete with driver, so I may do that.

My dash LEDs dim fine with the dimmer, but they're 5 LEDs with a small resister wedged into a 194 base - no driver. They're also much brighter than the original lights, and seem to dim to almost the same level. I did notice one dim spot on my way to class this morning, but it had the same dim spot with the original bulbs. Why Nissan chose to light the entire cluster with only 4 bulbs is beyond me.

Anyway, enough of my love of LEDs. I finally started trying to figure out why my cruise control sometimes shuts off after hitting a bump. Didn't have to look far!

Yeah, they're just twisted together by hand - loosely at that. One of these days I'll solder/heatshrink the connection, for now I twisted it up a bit tighter and wrapped it tightly in electrical tape.

I also need to replace the center stack and center console if I want everything to line up properly... the ashtray is also next to impossible to pull out thanks to all the busted plastic back there. I have no idea what the gently caress happened here, it was like that when I got the car. :iiam: If/when I get around to it, it's all plastic that's held on by a handful of screws.. not difficult to replace, though it'll be hard finding a center console from a manual. Maybe the previous owner had an aftermarket stereo that got stolen, though if that's the case, they were nice enough not to hack up any wiring.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
"Fixed" the ABS/TCS module in my E36.

Adjusted the parking brake on my E46 (still won't hold on a steep hill, think i need new pads):

Had to hammer off the 10mm spacers the PO put on the car. Apparently he has never heard of loving anti-seize.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The aftermarket leather steering wheel cover in my Bronco had been degrading seriously over the past year, to the point of flaking off in my hand and feeling disgusting to the touch, so I removed it. I just used some surgical scissors to cut the string, and pulled the cover off. Underneath, the stock plastic wheel was perfect, so I hit it with some adhesive remover and then rubbing alcohol. Feels like a new truck. I also WD40'd the locks because they were sticking, and now every single thing on that truck works.

List of stuff I've fixed in the past year:
New radiator - $150
New battery - $90
New rear window motor - $50
New rear window switch - $10
New headlights - $40
Got tailgate to open - Free

So, $340 on top of a $2k truck. Not bad considering It passed PA inspection last year and this year without needing any work. I also put new wheels and tires on it, but I am not counting that in the "had to spend" category, but in the "wanted to spend" category.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Swaybar links on MY WIFE'S Honda Accord. Only smashed my knuckles twice. It's much quieter now. With the old links, it sounded like we had Ginger Baker in the trunk every time the car hit a bump.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Traced, repaired the electrics in the 89 Turbo (there was a parasite draw on the accessories), and cleaned/redid the slightly-askew foglamps. Took it for a little drive, filled up with gas. I hate that transmission so much.

Also, repaired sprinklers and other domestic poo poo, woo.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 13, 2011

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Washed the TT RS with Dawn to prepare for its first Zaino (first coat drying now). Also took the RS 4 in for its 45K miles service (the last free one) as well as to have an intermittent misfire and the associated CELs looked at. When I VAGed it, the car was complaining of:
008521 - Supply Voltage for Fuel Injector Group B: Open Circuit
P2149 - 998 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

000516 - Injector: Cylinder 4 (N33): Circuit Malfunction
P0204 - 004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent

006435 - Please Check DTC Memory of ECU Number 2
P1923 - 008 - Implausible Signal

The car didn't misfire on the way to the dealer, and when I got a call that the car was done they were like, "Well it's working now, so that'll be $45 for clearing the codes, please." :(

Got the license plate on the TT RS finally. The temporary one had only been expired since the 6th. WTG, DMV. Also, the parking brake cables in the Elantra snapped when I moved it out of the way of the RS 4 this morning. :doh:

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

PhotoKirk posted:

Swaybar links on MY WIFE'S Honda Accord. Only smashed my knuckles twice. It's much quieter now. With the old links, it sounded like we had Ginger Baker in the trunk every time the car hit a bump.
The whole swaybar broke in my wifes Grand Prix and I had her take my car to work today so I could fix it. Ended up getting new tie rod ends since I noticed they were wasted while I had it apart. Well they wouldn't separate from the inner tie rod end and since the rack has been leaking forever anyway I figured I'd just do the whole thing. Well 8 hours later I still don't have the last two lines off the rack and I'm calling it a night. I'm afraid they are going to round so I'm gonna go get a 18mm line wrench so I don't chance it. I officially hate working on FWD cars, at least this is the only one I own.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Got tired of having a lighter plug inverter floating around the passenger side floor, so I mounted the thing:

Also pictured: the screwholes from the first try, before I realized I wouldn't be able to shut the glovebox with anything plugged in.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Took off the rear trailing arms to get new wheel bearings; the driver's side one was loving rattling when I got the wheel off and the axle out. It was ridiculous. I also modified the brake line brackets to slide out so I don't have to disconnect/bleed the brakes every time I take off the trailing arms. Rotors were turned, and I was ready to install my brand spanking new axles.

Wrong loving Axles.

My car is spending the night at the shop on the lift. Goddamn BMW's.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

DogDodger posted:

Also, the parking brake cables in the Elantra snapped when I moved it out of the way of the RS 4 this morning. :doh:

Finally got under it to check things out. Passenger side cable is the culprit:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

DogDodger posted:

Washed the TT RS with Dawn to prepare for its first Zaino (first coat drying now). Also took the RS 4 in for its 45K miles service (the last free one) as well as to have an intermittent misfire and the associated CELs looked at. When I VAGed it, the car was complaining of:
008521 - Supply Voltage for Fuel Injector Group B: Open Circuit
P2149 - 998 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

000516 - Injector: Cylinder 4 (N33): Circuit Malfunction
P0204 - 004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent

006435 - Please Check DTC Memory of ECU Number 2
P1923 - 008 - Implausible Signal

The car didn't misfire on the way to the dealer, and when I got a call that the car was done they were like, "Well it's working now, so that'll be $45 for clearing the codes, please." :(

Got the license plate on the TT RS finally. The temporary one had only been expired since the 6th. WTG, DMV. Also, the parking brake cables in the Elantra snapped when I moved it out of the way of the RS 4 this morning. :doh:

Multiple check engine lights on a brand new VW followed by poor dealer service? Unbelievable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
The misfires were actually on a 4-year old VW. ;)