Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Pablo Bluth posted:

Brooker has a new comedy-drama in the works; Yay! It's going to be on Sky1. :sound of a deflating balloon:

it's also co-written with one of Harry Hill's writers for TV Burp. But in this instance I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
To be fair, An Idiot Abroad was also on Sky1.

Speaking of which...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky5H7DyQAZg

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
There's a book written by one of The Thick of It writers about the coalition coming out. I'm guessing it'll give us a kind of preview of the 4th series.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coalition-Chronicles-Ian-Martin/dp/0571276911

As someone who doesn't have Sky, is Sky one regularly worth watching?

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity

Padje posted:

The fake abs they've sewn in actually increase his girth, hilariously. The more he eats, the fatter he'll get, and the further out they're going to spread. The line cutting through his navel is his own San Andreas Fault. It's just a matter of time before each ab becomes a completely separate island on his torso.

I've watched a bit of this Big Brother and it's a mess. Entertaining things, like Paddy wrestling Jedward, are caught in the background of a tedious conversation between Tara and Mrs Hasselhoff, almost like they've only got half the manpower of the Channel 4 run product. When one of the Jedwards wedgied Amy, they didn't show it, even though they'd obviously filmed it. Took a while to understand Darryn wasn't just freaking out about coleslaw. Later Amy asked if she herself had over-reacted, but while we didn't see the actual incident, for probably bum-based reasons, neither did we see her verbal reaction. Des-Group (or whatever it's called) must have a deal with it's better interests (Amy, Kerry, anyone else that appears in OK magazine) not to show them in anything but a flattering light, or one at least that ties into their PR personas (Amy: bubbly, a bit dumb. Kerry: nice, a bit sad, a bit manic, addictions)

Bobby is an idiot. If you want to bad mouth the contestants to the guys at home either do it so the victim is privy to it, or wait for Big Brother to press you on it in the diary room. Just talking to a stationed camera makes you look a right oval office. Although, with it being vote-to-save, it will probably help him.

I'm not even sure the editing is down to showbiz politics, some of it is just incompetent. The producers haven't bothered to learn to tell the twins apart and switched from Edward to John in the middle of the scene where Tara was crying the other night.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

silly posted:

What a finale to The Hour. Polar opposite to what happened with The Killing earlier this year. I hope BBC gives it a second series.
Finally got around to watching The Hour last night. I think it was slightly let down by it being too obvious what was going to happen.

Despite the valid criticisms of anachronism and repeated bouts of preachiness from a 21st century perspective I really liked the show. So I hope it doesn't get a second series. The story has a perfectly good resolution so any continuation would be redundant. And getting the mostly fired crew of The Hour somehow back together making TV journalism would necessarily be horribly contrived.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Fazana posted:

If you have any interest in Formula 1 at all, I urge you to watch "Grand Prix: The Killer Years" before it disappears on the 3rd September http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00z8v18/Grand_Prix_The_Killer_Years/ I was vaguely aware of things being pretty bad in those years but to actually see footage of what racing was like back then and the number of people who were killed, usually with the race carrying on whilst the body was being dragged away, is astonishing. Examples of the stupidity by the designers include a newly designed car with a large amount of magnesium in its chassis being entered into a race and of course catching fire and burning it's driver to death in its very first race. How did they know the then best racer and multiple time world champion in the world had crashed in a race in Germany? He didn't come round at the end of a lap... When they went looking for him they found his car wrapped around a tree where he had gone off (barriers? crazy loving talk!)and the chap himself dead from being thrown from his car and hitting a tree 15 feet in the air (marks on the tree showed where he had hit) killing him instantly. Anyways, watch and be amazed at the casual disregard for life.

Well, I've just watched through this and I think I'm going to go stare at the wall for a few minutes. That last sequence of events at the '73 Grand Prix is loving heartbreaking.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Metrication posted:

Not really. Sky Atlantic is pretty great though (I'm on Virgin so don't have it, but they have some of the best import shows going).

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

spincube posted:

Well, I've just watched through this and I think I'm going to go stare at the wall for a few minutes. That last sequence of events at the '73 Grand Prix is loving heartbreaking.

Just finished it myself. loving insane, everytime one of those cars went up in the footage I let out a "jesus loving christ!" or two. It was especially telling when that driver said that Chapman said to him "I don't want to get too attached to you" or something to that effect. That final crash footage was absolutely awful, good on Purley but ugh it was heartbreaking seeing him try to push that car back over all by himself.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."

Cerv posted:

Finally got around to watching The Hour last night. I think it was slightly let down by it being too obvious what was going to happen.

Despite the valid criticisms of anachronism and repeated bouts of preachiness from a 21st century perspective I really liked the show. So I hope it doesn't get a second series. The story has a perfectly good resolution so any continuation would be redundant. And getting the mostly fired crew of The Hour somehow back together making TV journalism would necessarily be horribly contrived.

Fair post. Yesterday came out that it was getting a second series but the details aren't clear yet. I really liked all the characters, Freddie, Bel, and Hector especially, so I just want to spend more time with them mainly. I have some faith the writers would be able to be clever about how they do it and not just reset everything.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'd like them to ditch the Spy angle and focus on Mad Men aspect.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

silly posted:

Fair post. Yesterday came out that it was getting a second series but the details aren't clear yet. I really liked all the characters, Freddie, Bel, and Hector especially, so I just want to spend more time with them mainly. I have some faith the writers would be able to be clever about how they do it and not just reset everything.
To be quite honest I could happily watch Freddie, Bel and Hector winding up the government forever.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Metrication posted:

It gets Futurama but that's about it.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
They have Fringe on after midnight as well, also on Sky2.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
And they've seemingly signed a contract to NEVER repeat S6 of Lost (while I refuse to buy the DVDs without seeing).

They were repeating S5 only to go back and start showing repeats of S3.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

I'd like them to ditch the Spy angle and focus on Mad Men aspect.

Yes, they should focus on something that existed only in the minds of unimaginative marketing dept.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

incredible bear posted:

And they've seemingly signed a contract to NEVER repeat S6 of Lost (while I refuse to buy the DVDs without seeing).

They were repeating S5 only to go back and start showing repeats of S3.

Just buy the DVDs, contrary to the ever-wrong TVIV moaning gallery, it's great.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Cerv posted:

Yes, they should focus on something that existed only in the minds of unimaginative marketing dept.
We've had so many cop, crime and spy programmes over the years, it's good when we get something different. Certainly I found the social and political aspects of The Hour more interesting than what turned out to be some fairly run-of-the-mill revelations about cold war espionage.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

We've had so many cop, crime and spy programmes over the years, it's good when we get something different. Certainly I found the social and political aspects of The Hour more interesting than what turned out to be some fairly run-of-the-mill revelations about cold war espionage.

The political stuff I liked. And the cold war espionage was well done though as you say run-of-the-mill.
But the social stuff? You basically had characters doing speech to camera: "God, I wish second wave feminism would hurry up and get invented."

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Just buy the DVDs, contrary to the ever-wrong TVIV moaning gallery, it's great.
I know, a large part of it is that I know the minute I buy them, Sky'll start showing them.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Anyone watching Page Eight tomorrow?

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Why was Jake Wood such a thoroughly miserable bastard on the last Shooting Stars? What kind of person could possibly go on that show and not enjoy themselves?

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

I couldn't work out if he was doing it on purpose or is just a bit of a prick.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
This Comedy Prom is... not bad so far.

It was nice to see Goon favourite the Mongrals do middle class is magical but later.. beardyman is on!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Crackerman posted:

I couldn't work out if he was doing it on purpose or is just a bit of a prick.

Maybe he's gunning for Team A's captain next time there's an opening.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
BBC is playing one of Bill Hick's old sets on BBC Four

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b010k162/Bill_Hicks_Revelations_Live_at_the_Dominion/

Worth checking out if you're a fan of comedy. He's one of those comedians that was much more appreciated in Britain than he was in America.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Ddraig posted:

BBC is playing one of Bill Hick's old sets on BBC Four

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b010k162/Bill_Hicks_Revelations_Live_at_the_Dominion/

Worth checking out if you're a fan of comedy. He's one of those comedians that was much more appreciated in Britain than he was in America.
In my humble opinion the greatest comedian of all time. Do some youtube searches on him as well, there is much to see. RIP bill :(

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Slightly disappointed it wasn't something from his Rant in E Minor period, but this is still great.

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!
Still no Inbetweeners chat? I thought the movie captured the spirit of the show pretty well, except for the end. A good send-off for the series.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Fungah posted:

Still no Inbetweeners chat? I thought the movie captured the spirit of the show pretty well, except for the end. A good send-off for the series.

It was enjoyable enough. Better than S3 was.

The moral of the story appeared to be that you can be a complete unrelenting unmitigated dick to girl over the course of a week and she'll still go out with you because ______. Didn't like that part.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, I'm sure when the show started off Simon was the more 'normal' of the one and you could agree with him more often. Since then he's become an insufferable dick to everyone around him, so much so that I actually prefered Will in the movie more to him (and I hated Will for pretty much the entire show).

Anyone notice that the cinematography was terrible? I'm not expecting oscar winning shots, but the framing was abysmal (or the projection at Cineworld was hosed), and one of the pans felt like it hadn't been rendered in FCP properly and jerked along something chronic.

Funny film otherwise, and at 75 minutes about the right length.

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!
Basically as the series went on Simon became more and more insufferable and stupid. The episode where they skive off school and the one where they go clubbing in London come to mind. It was stupid to have the Carli plot in there given that I thought he had found peace at the end of S3. Its not like they needed a reason to go on a holiday anyway.

It did set up the spat between Jay and Simon well though, which was probably the most realistic portrayal of a fight between friends I've ever seen.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
I think Simon getting stupider and crazier was intentional, or at least the writers were aware they were doing it. I can't remember what episode it is (it might be the Christmas Party one), but there's a scene where Jay and Will are in the dinner line and Jay's saying that Will's changed Simon and made him more of a dick, just before Simon approaches Carli to prove Jay's point.

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!
No doubt. It is a phenomenon of sitcoms that characters become caricatures of themselves as time goes on but simon became too ridiculous in too short a time. We've all done stupid things in the name of unattainable girls but the tramp shoes was pretty unrelatable.

Jay and Neil are caricatures but their ridiculous behaviour (like the ham wank) are punchlines and never really drive the story along so it never seems as unrealistic. I just feel that they could have toned Simon down a little and still achieved the same thing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, it would've been better to drop the Carli thing completely before the film started, but still have the bust up with Jay (which I agree was good) just make it over something else. It's not a show like IASIP where one of the points is you're supposed to actively dislike the characters, with Inbetweeners I always felt you're supposed to be on their side, even if they make stupid mistakes and make you groan a bit. In the end Neil always comes across as the nicest one, but they even made him out to be a bit of a dick at the end of it.

As a side note, I don't think I mentioned this before but I'm friends with the guy who played Wolfie in the Series 2 episode where they all go to work experience. (He's credited under a different name so I went around saying "Christ, didn't that guy in Inbetweeners last night look like Dai?" for about 3 months). Anyway, we play in a covers band for charity once a year, so if you're bored and want to see the guy from Inbetweeners (and Peep Show, Dr. Who and a plethora of TV adverts including Fosters, Sainsbury's, Carphone Warehouse and Playstation) do his Freddie Mercury impression, click here and hit the link in the description to forward it to about 19 minutes in. He's a good guy and always does a wicked performance with us with only a single practise at most.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

The pHo posted:

Anyone notice that the cinematography was terrible? I'm not expecting oscar winning shots, but the framing was abysmal (or the projection at Cineworld was hosed), and one of the pans felt like it hadn't been rendered in FCP properly and jerked along something chronic.

Glad I wasn't the only person who noticed this. I thought it was supposed to be some kind of joke the number of times Neil's head was awkwardly cut off by the top of the frame.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

cloudchamber posted:

Glad I wasn't the only person who noticed this. I thought it was supposed to be some kind of joke the number of times Neil's head was awkwardly cut off by the top of the frame.

I'm guessing the hyper compressed production schedule has something to do with that. It's a still a bit sad to hear about.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

cloudchamber posted:

Yeah, that's what made me think it was a projection fault. I couldn't believe that they didn't pick that up while filming. The main issue was probably the fact that as TV is all shot in 1.85:1 these days, film crews feel they have to shoot wider in order to make it feel like a 'real movie'. These kind of productions don't gain anything from the extra width, and it makes framing characters that little bit harder.

Worst offender this year was probably that terrible Battle LA film. About 5 minutes of that needed to be in 2.35:1, the rest of it looked crap because of it.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Fungah posted:

Basically as the series went on Simon became more and more insufferable and stupid. The episode where they skive off school
Is the first episode of S1?

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!

FreakyZoid posted:

Is the first episode of S1?

Crap, 2nd episode of S1. I watched S2 first which is why I thought it came later for some reason. Ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Watermarks have been annoying me ever since watching Sin City on BBC3 and being unable to tear my eyes from that bright pink logo that sat in the corner, sucking out the gritty noir atmosphere. This evening I was flicking through channels and found the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air on a channel called Viva. There were two watermarks. And not little transparent ones that disappear after a few seconds.

This is getting out of hand.