Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I enjoyed Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. I definitely was frightened a few times.

I would not have rated this movie R by any means. I think that rating was overhyped to mean omg horror. Yeah, it was scary.. but it wasn't that bad. I could see this movie loving up little kids who watched it, so that's probably one reason for the R.

What I didn't really like was .. it was a completely standard horror film in my opinion, with nothing that really made it different. Yes, it was scary, and those little buggers were horrifying, but I had higher expectations, I guess. I also hated the characters not following common sense at times, or taking the best actions possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Dream Warriors is a legit good movie. The rest of the "canon" Nightmare movies are pretty bad (even the original, save for the concept)

New Nightmare is great though.

Dream Warriors is a much better film than 2 and the only one of the sequels I'd bother watching again along with 2 and New Nightmare, I just think 2 gets poo poo on a bit too much as the "worst" sequel when...any of the others exist.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Juanito posted:

I enjoyed Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. I definitely was frightened a few times.

I would not have rated this movie R by any means. I think that rating was overhyped to mean omg horror. Yeah, it was scary.. but it wasn't that bad. I could see this movie loving up little kids who watched it, so that's probably one reason for the R.

What I didn't really like was .. it was a completely standard horror film in my opinion, with nothing that really made it different. Yes, it was scary, and those little buggers were horrifying, but I had higher expectations, I guess. I also hated the characters not following common sense at times, or taking the best actions possible.

I felt the exact same way. I don't regret paying to see it but it isn't the kind of movie I'd go out of my way to recommend or see again. Loved the ending though.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Going to go see Don't be Afraid of the Dark tonight. (alone :smith:)

Anyone else excited for this movie? I have been looking forward to seeing it since the trailer came out! I usually love anything Del Toro is willing to put his name on.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

TOOT BOOT posted:

It looked like something that would air on TV on Halloween, other than the titshot.

FWIW, that Pinhead image isn't from any kind of remake, it's just something the artist threw together for fun.

That's disappointing Clive Barker won't be involved with the remake. I remember at one point he was talking about telling the story in a new way since the sadomasochistic themes don't have the same impact now as they did in 1984 when the book was released.

It goes kind of in depth, but each segment has a little Tom Savini introduction skit that ruins the flow. You're pretty dead on about comparing it to some half hour Halloween-time docutainment thing on cable. I don't regret the purchase, but I'm also a total whore for behind the scenes stuff.

EDIT: Watched Tucker and Dale last night. It was cute, but I want my 800 microsoft points back.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I thought His Name Was Jason was pretty lovely. And weirdly there's no clips from the films, just still images (I'm guessing they couldn't get the rights).

However, Camp Crystal Lake memories is a fantastic read (And expensive).

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I just finished watching The Last Exorcism and I'd have to say it's one of the high points of the found footage genre. I appreciate the fact that there are several points of ambiguity in the plot once you've watched it all the way through.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Just watched Atrocious, it was another found footage movie and pretty drat boring, unfortunately- it was only about 70 minutes long and felt like it was overwhelmingly filled with nightvision shots of trees and yelling.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Defleshed posted:

Anyone else excited for this movie? I have been looking forward to seeing it since the trailer came out! I usually love anything Del Toro is willing to put his name on.

It's definitely a Del Toro movie. Even if you had no idea he was involved in it, you'd recognize his influence immediately.

I loved some of the scares, including ones that had been spoiled by the trailer. I didn't expect myself to jump at those but that's the mark of a good director. The storyline did suffer from repetition and some illogical decisions and acting by the two main adults, but I absolutely felt frightened for the child. She nailed the part and really acted like a kid that had been basically abandoned by her parents and hopped up on meds, seeking any place she would belong. I really don't understand the R rating other than the fact that it could really freak out some younger kids, and there are a couple brutal scenes but nothing worse than a man being turned into pulp like on Captain America.

Meanwhile, the scene where she's looking under her sheets was the first time in a while I've heard people in a theater actually scream at a movie.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

It's definitely a Del Toro movie. Even if you had no idea he was involved in it, you'd recognize his influence immediately.

I loved some of the scares, including ones that had been spoiled by the trailer. I didn't expect myself to jump at those but that's the mark of a good director. The storyline did suffer from repetition and some illogical decisions and acting by the two main adults, but I absolutely felt frightened for the child. She nailed the part and really acted like a kid that had been basically abandoned by her parents and hopped up on meds, seeking any place she would belong. I really don't understand the R rating other than the fact that it could really freak out some younger kids, and there are a couple brutal scenes but nothing worse than a man being turned into pulp like on Captain America.

Meanwhile, the scene where she's looking under her sheets was the first time in a while I've heard people in a theater actually scream at a movie.

The audience at my screening was full of black people which made it one of the most entertaining movies I have ever seen in the theater. The movie was pretty drat good, but the crowd was just cracking me up.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Defleshed posted:

Defleshed posted:

The audience at my screening was full of black people which made it one of the most entertaining movies I have ever seen in the theater. The movie was pretty drat good, but the crowd was just cracking me up.

Wow, I wonder why nobody wants to go to the movies with you.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I don't really see what's wrong with what he said. When I was younger, I would go to theatres closer to the city (Detroit) sometimes, when I wanted to see a movie with a ton of crowd reaction/funny comments, because for whatever reason, culturally, a lot of inner city black people talk to the screen. And it's actually funny unlike the sad MST3King people try to do, perhaps because it's earnest and not done strictly for attention. This has been lampooned in quite a few movies, too, so it's wide ranging enough that a lot of other people all around have picked it up as well.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Wow, I wonder why nobody wants to go to the movies with you.

Because he goes to the same theater as black people . . . ?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Don't be afraid of the darkies.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
EDIT: Nevermind. This is a derail that will only end poorly.

Uatu The Lurker fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 28, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Darko posted:

I don't really see what's wrong with what he said. When I was younger, I would go to theatres closer to the city (Detroit) sometimes, when I wanted to see a movie with a ton of crowd reaction/funny comments, because for whatever reason, culturally, a lot of inner city black people talk to the screen. And it's actually funny unlike the sad MST3King people try to do, perhaps because it's earnest and not done strictly for attention. This has been lampooned in quite a few movies, too, so it's wide ranging enough that a lot of other people all around have picked it up as well.

Just because you believe some stereotypes to be true doesn't make it cool to just drop "I went to a theater filled with black people, it was hilarious!"

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Darko posted:

Saying that 'black people' equals 'talking during a movie' is a stereotype and shouldn't be casually tossed around like that.

He could have just said that there was a lot of crowd reaction and talking that made it funny.

ohthatdan
Jan 10, 2007

...Soldering Iron...
Without taking race into the issue, seeing the right kind of movie with a crowd who can cleverly shout at the screen can be phenomenal. I distinctly remember seeing Freddy Vs. Jason and it became some kind of hybrid between sporting event and film. It was completely surreal.

On the other hand, there was a couple during the midnight premiere of Snakes on a Plane years ago who wanted the entire theater to be quiet and eventually left; so I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea, even for films that demand it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Jesus you guys are over sensitive. I have some black friends, and even they agree that they are loud at movies. It's funny to me that non black people seem to get more offended by things like that then actual blacks do. Silly people.

Anyway, I'm going to watch Never Sleep Again because I have nothing else to do. Thanks for the recommendation.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Harminoff posted:

I have some black friends, and even they agree that they are loud at movies. It's funny to me that non black people seem to get more offended by things like that then actual blacks do. Silly people.

This is an incredibly stupid thing to say.

Harminoff posted:

Anyway, I'm going to watch Never Sleep Again because I have nothing else to do. Thanks for the recommendation.

This isn't. It's a really interesting and fun watch.

What's weird though, at one point they made this child puppet, emeciated and shriveled up, and it's fantastic looking and all that, and then they decide not to use it because... it's too disturbing?

You're making a horror movie, ya jerks.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Is Never Sleep Again getting a region 2 release any time soon? I guess it would be a good excuse to finally get a region free DVD player.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
"I have some black friends" is almost always the prelude to some racist poo poo.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I have one black friend, I filter everything racial through him just so to know what I should say.

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion

indigenous nudity posted:

I managed to catch Kidnapped recently. It has a level of brutality that I haven't seen since Inside, so if you dig those kinds of movies, you're in for a treat. This one was well made all around, especially the fact that it had several very long scenes that were done in a single take. It's not used as a crutch or a gimmick, though. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it, even if I did have to go for a long walk and call my parents to tell them I loved them afterward.

Yeah, it is a pretty brutal movie. Started out slow, but seemed like the last 20 minutes all hell breaks loose. I did find the 30 minutes of screams and hyperventilating exhausting though.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Jesus christ what a bunch of sensitive twats. The crowd was filled with black people who were laughing and screaming and yelling funny poo poo at the screen. This puts a different picture in your mind than a crowd full of white 20-something loving nerds who think they are MST3k revisited, which is what most of you would likely have thought had I written "there was lots of crowd interaction, it was superbly entertaining".

I was being descriptive, my deepest apologies. I know I probably set race relations back a quarter century at least, but I'm sorry; the crowd was black.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

You weren't being that descriptive. Not once in your post did you mention that the crowd was yelling or laughing. You just said "the audience was black, and that is funny" and expected everyone to be as big a piece of poo poo as you are and connect the dots.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Not everyone here is white and makes the same assumptions you make, bro!

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
:rolleyes: Yeah you guys are right, sorry. I'll toss out my robes tomorrow. And I just made Grand Wizard Dragon too.

SpeedofLife
Mar 11, 2010

You weren't being that descriptive. Not once in your post did you mention that the crowd was yelling or laughing. You just said "the audience was black, and that is funny" and expected everyone to be as big a piece of poo poo as you are and connect the dots.

You are really over-exaggerating. First of all, the "black people talk during movies" stereotype is not some obscure piece of information. It's been referenced in countless movies, TV shows, stand-up acts, etc. So don't act like you have to be a card-carrying Klansman to know about it.

Second of all, though stereotyping is wrong, to do so, at least on this scale, does not make somebody a "piece of poo poo." Especially when the stereotype in question is as tame as the one being discussed. People who burn crosses and draw Swastikas on the sides of buildings are "piece[s] of poo poo." Those who subscribe to this particular stereotype, less so.

So let's calm the gently caress down.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Hey guys, I went to KFC for free chicken day but there were a bunch of blacks there so I didn't get any :rolleyes: black people, right?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

SpeedofLife posted:

You are really over-exaggerating. First of all, the "black people talk during movies" stereotype is not some obscure piece of information. It's been referenced in countless movies, TV shows, stand-up acts, etc. So don't act like you have to be a card-carrying Klansman to know about it.

Knowing about the existence of a stereotype and actively saying 'black people were there, so of course [...]' are different things.

SpeedofLife
Mar 11, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

'Knowing about it' and actively equating 'black people were there, so [...]' are different things.

Not really. If you're aware of the stereotype, the connection is obvious. I mean, why else would he mention the ethnic make-up of his audience, if not to invoke the stereotype?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

SpeedofLife posted:

Not really. If you're aware of the stereotype, the connection is obvious. I mean, why else would he mention the ethnic make-up of his audience, if not to invoke the stereotype?

You do know that stereotypes aren't 'funny little truths about races', right?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SpeedofLife posted:

People who burn crosses and draw Swastikas on the sides of buildings are "piece[s] of poo poo." Those who subscribe to this particular stereotype, less so.

Defleshed posted:

:rolleyes: Yeah you guys are right, sorry. I'll toss out my robes tomorrow. And I just made Grand Wizard Dragon too.

I really like that both of you think that one literally has to be a member of the Ku Klux Klan to be a racist.

I still stand by the fact that Defleshed sucks balls, but I apologize for derailing the horror thread. To try and bring it back to topic, I really want to see Shark Night even though I'm loving sick of 3D movies and it looks like a pile of poo poo. I just really like sharks.

Also, to go with the recent Hellraiser chat in here, my favorite film critic, Tim Brayton, just finished a retrospective of the four theatrically-released Hellraiser films. They're pretty fun readin', check 'em out.

SpeedofLife
Mar 11, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

You do know that stereotypes aren't 'funny little truths about races', right?

I'm not defending stereotyping. In fact, I explicitly stated that it is wrong to do so. Instead, I'm criticizing the over-the-top reaction that one poster had to somebody stereotyping.

If somebody criticizes the death penalty, does that mean their defending murder?

whoeverthefuck posted:

I really like that both of you think that one literally has to be a member of the Ku Klux Klan to be a racist.

I did not say he isn't racist. What I did say was that he's not a "piece of poo poo." Based on your response, I take it you believe racist=piece of poo poo. I don't believe that. Too many people are racist to make that into a general rule. You'd be left with surprisingly few people who aren't pieces of poo poo. Therefore, I believe in degrees of racism. Neo-Nazi's and Klansman are pieces of poo poo. People who stereotype aren't. "Jerk" would be more appropriate, maybe. "Ignorant" perhaps more so.

SpeedofLife fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 28, 2011

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

I still stand by the fact that Defleshed sucks balls

Cool, I'll stand by the fact that you are a weeping vagina!

Thank god the black race has you to defend them against every internet slight, real or imagined.

In case nobody could read my impression of Don't Be Afraid of the Dark due to its terrible racist overtones, let me clarify: It is an incredible movie with some genuinely scary moments. It made me remember why I love horror movies in the first place, and took me back to being the little 8 year old sneaking downstairs to watch cheesy slashers on HBO after everyone had gone to bed. It's worth your time, so go see it!

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 28, 2011

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
There is gay people at my work who specify that they are hanging out with their "gay friends" or their "straight friends" that night while in discussion was other people. Does that make them homophones?

I have friends that specify between hanging out with their male friends and their female friends. Does that make them sexist?

SpeedofLife
Mar 11, 2010

Harminoff posted:

There is gay people at my work who specify that they are hanging out with their "gay friends" or their "straight friends" that night while in discussion was other people. Does that make them homophones?

I have friends that specify between hanging out with their male friends and their female friends. Does that make them sexist?

He's going to say yes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SpeedofLife posted:

He's going to say yes.

Well since you already know what I'm going to say, that means I don't need to be a part of this conversation anymore, right?

How 'bout them horror movies, guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

How 'bout them horror movies, guys?

This is a horror thread? I thought it was the "Call people a Weeping Vagina thread"