Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.
I've been noticing small patches of what I can only assume is oil under my bike. I am thinking it's either coming from the filter or the drain plug. What's the best way to figure out where it's coming from? Looking through the service manual it talks about using a torque wrench for the train plug, I don't have one of those... how hard is it to over tighten the plug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Best to just clean up the suspect areas, and then go back a bit later to see if you can trace the oil back to its source. If you want to be really cool, sprinkle some baby powder around the (cleaned and dried) area, and it'll be extremely obvious where the oil's coming from.

With a normal sized socket wrench, stripping a drain plug is pretty easy if you call upon your retard strength. Find out where the oil is coming from, and if it's the drain plug, just drain your oil and check out the threads.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Anarchist posted:

I've been noticing small patches of what I can only assume is oil under my bike. I am thinking it's either coming from the filter or the drain plug. What's the best way to figure out where it's coming from? Looking through the service manual it talks about using a torque wrench for the train plug, I don't have one of those... how hard is it to over tighten the plug?

I popped the threads in my block with very little effort. The baby powder trick will help highlight any drips.

Also, Autozone/Pep-Boys etc will usually lend out a torque wrench for "free," though you have to pay the total cost - +/-$100 - up front (the entirety is refunded to you when you bring it back, and you have something like 3 months to bring it back).

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

A 2001 SV650s that looks like it rear ended something popped up on craigslist the other day for $450 with a salvage title. Forks are shot, tank has a nice dent, scratches all over and I can't tell if the front wheel is bent.

Would this be worth looking into for a parts or track bike? Pretty sure I could get it for less than asking price but I'm not sure if it is worth the two hour drive (1 way) to look at it.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcy/2536109907.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
They usually do ok in crashes but I would say its 50/50 for a bent frame with the wheel that far out of line. The forks are weedy and bend easy but that's way out of line. Frame could be straightened though, if you've got a frame shop in your area. Figure around 1000$ total to get it track ready with a Gixxer front end, another 500 or so if the frame is bent.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Z3n posted:

They usually do ok in crashes but I would say its 50/50 for a bent frame with the wheel that far out of line. The forks are weedy and bend easy but that's way out of line. Frame could be straightened though, if you've got a frame shop in your area. Figure around 1000$ total to get it track ready with a Gixxer front end, another 500 or so if the frame is bent.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I'm waiting to hear back from my friend who runs a frame straight shop before I go any further. Would be nice to have a cheap track bike to ride instead of my commuter for tracks where the CRF isn't a good option.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

NitroSpazzz posted:

That's kind of what I was thinking. I'm waiting to hear back from my friend who runs a frame straight shop before I go any further. Would be nice to have a cheap track bike to ride instead of my commuter for tracks where the CRF isn't a good option.

I know one of my friends has to have some sort of spare front end, let me know if you need me to look around.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

first bike! :flashfap:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
The dog seems reasonably happy and/or stoned. Congratulations! Great looking bike.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
xpost from the "what bike should I get" thread

SV650S k7 w/5400 miles.

Looks like it was dropped on the right side, the frame slider has a little rash, and I'm pretty sure that's not a stock pipe. Looks like it took a pretty hard hit from a rock or something on the left side upper fairing near the headlight. Minor rash on the tail, with some retarded version of a fender eliminator. Tires look "aight", chain needs to be cleaned, pretty sure the front brake was never used. Talked them down from sticker of $3800 to getting it out the door for $3400.

Buy or pass?

e:Also it looks like the same retard that did the undertail tried to rattlecan the pipe black, but its been worn off?

e2:It's missing a bar end on the right and the one on the left is like... hanging out of the bar. What does that even mean?

invision fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 21, 2011

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I'd say no, that condition for that price seems pretty bad.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

invision posted:

e:Also it looks like the same retard that did the undertail tried to rattlecan the pipe black, but its been worn off?

e2:It's missing a bar end on the right and the one on the left is like... hanging out of the bar. What does that even mean?

That, or it's a cheapo exhaust.
As for the bar-end, the threads are probably stripped from something or other. Along with the crash damage and crappy exhaust, it points to an irresponsible previous owner. I'm with bladesamurai on this one, pass.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 21, 2011

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

invision posted:

:words:

Be patient. You'll know the right bike when you find it.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Yep, there's plenty of great sv's out there, you should wait for the right one. Keep on checking svrider's classifieds!

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
My new baby that I flew out to ride back all the way from Eugene OR, to Portland, to Seattle, to Coeur d'alene, to Yellowstone, through the Black Hills and finally to its new home in Minneapolis

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
So apparently Renthal medium-rise bars don't fit a second-gen N - the risers are too wide and the cables don't reach regardless. :( What's a good option for someone who doesn't want to lean over awkwardly?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

OneOverZero posted:

So apparently Renthal medium-rise bars don't fit a second-gen N - the risers are too wide and the cables don't reach regardless. :( What's a good option for someone who doesn't want to lean over awkwardly?

The risers are too wide where? Usually when you fit a full size bar you have to completely disconnect/reroute the cables in a more direct fashion.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.
I'm pricing out some SV650s out in my province, it seems like the naked versions are going for ~$1000 less than the faired ones. Do you guys think ABS, a fairing, and clip-ons are worth $1000 for two bikes of similar vintage and relatively low mileage (3k - 18k km)?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

HammerOfHope posted:

I'm pricing out some SV650s out in my province, it seems like the naked versions are going for ~$1000 less than the faired ones. Do you guys think ABS, a fairing, and clip-ons are worth $1000 for two bikes of similar vintage and relatively low mileage (3k - 18k km)?

ABS, yes, the rest of it, no.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

HammerOfHope posted:

What province?

EDIT: Nevermind, Nova Scotia it seems. Do you ever come to QC? :D

internet inc fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 26, 2011

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

internet inc posted:

What province?

EDIT: Nevermind, Nova Scotia it seems. Do you ever come to QC? :D

Yeah, I think my third bike will be new and from another province all together.

Z3n, thanks for the advice. It looks like clip-on conversions of naked SVs aren't all that hard to do in a pinch, either.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

So I got home from a 12 hour round trip last night to give some guy off the internet a bunch of money, and I stepped out of the truck to find a 2004 SV650S/F k4 sitting in the bed. I don't even know how it got there oh God.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Did about 300 miles today. I'm pretty sure the brake fluid has never been changed, and for some reason the bike dies if I clutch in and let the rpm's drop below like 2800. I think I remember there being an idle adjustment screw under the tank. I dunno.

e: DONT NEED BRAKES WHEN UR THIS GOOD :smug:

What in the gently caress

invision fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 28, 2011

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

invision posted:

What in the gently caress

did the PO live in a toilet paper factory or something

Also check out the free airbox mods for the SV (remove the snorkle and optionally replace with SV1000 snorkle, raise the tank).

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I think it's raw cotton.

e:I'm now soliciting ideas for stupid things to get put on a vanity plate for the bike. Suggestions so far:
"BUSA"
"GIXER"
"BYEH8R"

e2:Texas also has a "I'd rather be golfing" vanity plate for bikes.

invision fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 28, 2011

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

invision posted:

e:I'm now soliciting ideas for stupid things to get put on a vanity plate for the bike. Suggestions so far:
"BUSA"
"GIXER"
"BYEH8R"

PEN15 is the only choice here.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

GanjamonII posted:

did the PO live in a toilet paper factory or something

Also check out the free airbox mods for the SV (remove the snorkle and optionally replace with SV1000 snorkle, raise the tank).

Rodent.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

invision posted:

I think it's raw cotton.

"BUSA"
"GIXER"
"BYEH8R"

BIEKS of course

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

invision posted:

Time to lobby for "I'd rather be rofling".

StrppngYoungLad
Apr 8, 2007
strapping
What do you guys think about this one: http://bham.craigslist.org/mcy/2559183036.html

I'm leaning towards getting it, but it seems like he's asking a little too much for it. Is that price reasonable for a naked '07?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

StrppngYoungLad posted:

Is that price reasonable for a naked '07?

Yes.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

StrppngYoungLad posted:

What do you guys think about this one: http://bham.craigslist.org/mcy/2559183036.html

I'm leaning towards getting it, but it seems like he's asking a little too much for it. Is that price reasonable for a naked '07?

I paid $3800 for an 05 with 2600 miles on it, does it have ABS? IMO thats a bit high.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

My sv650 has woodcraft rearsets on it now and while I like how solid they are I don't like the height they sit at. After about 2 to 3 hours on the bike my knees start to kill me. This combined with the wide pro taper bars the bike has makes for a weird riding position for me. Stock pegs would be the way to go but for a compromise I got some adjustable plates for my rearsets and I plan on installing them flipped over so I can lower my pegs down more. They should be here some time this week. In the mean time, any one got any stock pegs they wanna sell?

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

StrppngYoungLad posted:

Its a reasonable price but I think you would have some wiggle room - last year I bought a spotless 06 S model for 3300 which had ~ 7000 miles.

That bike is coming up on its valve check/adjustment interval in a couple thousand miles which is ~250-450$ depending on if you need to adjust anything so I would use that in your favor to talk them down.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

headshot24 posted:

I don't like the look of a screen on a naked bike, but I'd be riding 75 miles on the interstate daily, so I know I'd need one.

You really don't. I haven't had the windshield on the vstar since I went to California last year, 11,000 miles ago by my odometer.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Anyone know of any naked SV's for sale with ABS? It is proving to be difficult...

edit: This one in Lafayette, LA is exactly what I want, but a 17 hour drive.

This one in Flint is substantially closer, but the "wrong" color and has a dent in the tank.

And that's everything within 1000 miles. :(

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 9, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Anyone know of any naked SV's for sale with ABS? It is proving to be difficult...

This one in Flint is substantially closer, but the "wrong" color and has a dent in the tank.

ABS is really rare, so expect to have to travel for an ABS bike.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

but that IS the right color...?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I'd rather have a grey one, but I'll probably end up having this one repainted white.

Oh yeah, and I think I'm taking my dad's truck to Flint tomorrow. :)

edit: The bike I'm looking at has 13k miles. Anything I should specifically pay attention to that may need replacing or other work?

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRedCat
May 23, 2003
I'm a unique snowflake, just like everyone else.

Z3n posted:

ABS is really rare, so expect to have to travel for an ABS bike.

I bought a 2009 ABS about 4 months ago. It literally took me 4 months of daily checking of CL in all the surrounding states, and weekly calling of all dealers within a 300 mile radius(because of the tsunami, no one could tell me what stock they were going to get in week to week). Its a challenge, but they can be found. And yes, mine was 250+ miles away, so you probably will have to travel or get it delivered.

Secondly I saw someone riding around NoVA yesterday with a mini backrest on their 650. My girlfriend has sent me on a hunt to track one down, but the only ones I have been able to find online are ones people have made for personal use. Does anyone know if there was ever a commercially made one?

Edit: Also I dunno if this was the same for all years, but the 2009 ABS was only available in blue.

• Locked thread