Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Before that finish Two Thrones. :colbert: Looks really nice though!

I'll finish Two Thrones when it stops throwing bullshit two-on-one boss fights with no room to manouver at me. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

A sneak preview of my current project:

Holy balls that looks great.

Meanwhile my backlog is getting some nasty backward steps as I caved and got Deus Ex: Human Revolution as well as Borderlands GOTY.

But holy poo poo I can't wait to play Deus Ex as soon as possible (that is next week also known as Deus Ex Week).

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP

ToxicFrog posted:

A sneak preview of my current project:

Woah, nice. What are you building that in? Does backloggery have an API?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lamacq posted:

Woah, nice. What are you building that in? Does backloggery have an API?

I'm building it in Lua, using IUP for the UI and LuaSocket for the networking.

And no, Backloggery doesn't have an API. :argh: I'm using the same AJAX requests the browser uses when you go to "All Games" to get the initial game list, and scraping the Edit Game page to get detailed game information when you go to edit it. In both cases I'm getting the actual information straight out of the HTML.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
That picture reminds me that I need to add some handheld/console games to my backlog. Thankfully it's not that much.

It's funny how much patience I've given games sometimes... I've played through and beaten KOTOR 1 and 2 on the original xbox, meaning completely unpatched, meaning glitches everywhere(and I didn't know this before I started playing them). Interestingly enough I only had to restart my game in KOTOR 2 once, while I had to restart twice for KOTOR 1 (restart as in the game glitched itself in such a way that it's impossible to progress).

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Dear Deus Ex: Human Revolution,

I thought we had an understanding here. We'd been going along pretty well for some time, and you'd been augmenting yourself so that your load time was more like 4-5 seconds instead of 40 seconds. I appreciate that.

It certainly made your decision to kill me 25 times in a row in the same way with no indication of what I was doing wrong merely infuriating instead of unforgivable. It might have been polite to somehow indicate that I was going about this all wrong, as opposed to merely not being good enough at deploying my inventory and augmentations. As it was, it took me 15 or so tries just to survive long enough to expend every consumable I had, and it wasn't enough. And then, since I had no clues or cues about what else I could be doing with my upgrade set, I had to go to GameFAQs, which I was really hoping not to do.

I can't say I liked what I found there.

If you're going to bottleneck an area on a particular action, would it really have killed you to point it out in that area, especially when it's the first area so bottlenecked? Or maybe do it after you've reloaded the same autosave ten times in five minutes? As it was, you only mentioned it as an offhand comment in a tutorial video nine hours previous, and that was a video I wound up skipping because the main thrust of the video was on topics I already understood.

This hurts, Deus Ex. I thought I could trust you. You're quite fortunate that you're still the best game I've played this year, including Batman: Arkham Asylum, or I'd have ragequit you already. As it is, I'm still cautiously looking forward to the second major chunk of the game.

Sadder but wiser,
ManxomeBromide

(Details below. Spoilers for the sequence above; the first such sequence in the game, in the first city region.

I walked into the fight against Barrett with 140 bullets, three grenades, and the ability to take maybe three hits before dying. I eventually managed, via chainstunning him with the grenades, to hit him with the lion's share of those 140 bullets, most of which were headshots, and it wasn't loving enough. Turns out that you can chuck explosive containers half a city block even when you have no strength augs. This is mentioned, once, casually, at the very end of the "moving objects" tutorial, where it isn't even immediately relevant. But in all seriousness, this is the first thing it's done seriously wrong so far, and Invisible War along with the last four action games I've played had already ended by this point.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I should really finish all of my games. I have so many. I play all of them for a few hours and then I end up with something new.
I mainly play multiplayer games because of this. Since I can rarely be arsed to finish a singleplayer story.

I love The Witcher 2 and I told myself that I have to finish it. Yet here I am..
There are a few games that I love playing and still play since the day I bought them. But they aren't that many.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
The hurricane has moved through and I didn't lose power so now I can get some backlog reduction done before classes start back up on Tuesday. Deus Ex: Human Revolution is still the primary game and I should be getting close to done.

Spoilers:
I'm in Singapore, fighting the Israeli merc guy. Except I'm a dumbass and got the LIMB upgrade and now I can't use Smart Vision to see him when he's cloaked. It's kinda putting me off a little bit. Boss battles are poo poo.

After DE:HR, I will probably put in time finishing the DLC for F:NV and I also need to get through SSHD:TSE before SS3 comes out.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I hate Komato Assassin Asha so, so much. He is a colossal douchebag with inconsistent behaviours and a penchant for using combos that are literally impossible to dodge unless you are either clairvoyant or extremely lucky.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Just completed my first run through Bastion. What a fun little game!

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

It's amazing.

Fallout: New Vegas is next.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I'm going through and updating right now.

I would've done it earlier, but I've been busy... with... things... (Deus Ex HR omfg such a great game)\

e: All profiles have been updated up to now

:siren:IF YOUR NAME IS ON THE LIST IN THE SECOND POST BUT YOU HAVE NOT PROVIDED ME WITH A BACKLOGGERY ACCOUNT (or steam profile), YOU HAVE ONE WEEK TO PROVIDE ME WITH IT BEFORE YOUR NAME IS REMOVED:siren:

Sure, I'll add you later, but...

Migishu fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 29, 2011

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Beat Wolfenstein 3D. I'm glad id made Doom.

Next up is Red Alert 2.

Ah, I remember looking at those boxes as a kid...

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I finished Amnesia : The Dark Descend today. Steam says I spent 7.1 hours on it. I took my time and explored every corner I could find. I highly recommend it even if you're a huge pussy like me. I'm sure I shortened my lifespan on it. The total immersion of the controls, sounds and visuals make for a truly terrifying experience.

I'm glad I played it and doubly glad I can knock a title from my backlog.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The best part of Amnesia for me was immediately after the water segment, I was just starting to relax a bit when one of my cats grabbed my leg from behind.

The rest of the game was still spooky but didn't quite reach that level of near-pants-crapping fright. Feline force-feedback is powerful.

My backlog has been interrupted by Deus Ex. I spent most of my weekend on it and adore it. Best dialogue system since Alpha Protocol, especially with the social aug, and stealth is a joy.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
The absolute worst/most frightening moment of Amnesia for me was during the "prison" area where you get the hammer, chisel, and acid. Throughout the whole section, it's darker than dark, and they keep torturing you with monster almost-encounters. Then once you break the lock and open it you turn around and OHMYFUCKINGGODHE'SRIGHTBEHINDYOURUNNINGATYOUANDREACHINGFORYOUSHITSHITSHITSHITSHIT :cry:

Lovely game though.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
My worst/best moment in Amnesia was hearing a monster loudly shuffling in the darkness, and being all smug, saying to myself "oh, well, heck, with that much warning I'll just hide in this room over here" and proceeding to casually lock myself in the room with the monster :gonk: Instant karma, I get to have it.

I'm still not entirely sure how I survived it, but I did manage to make my way out in time.

Amnesia's the best survival horror-style game I've ever played.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I was very tense most of the game. Especially during the super dark places. There is this section where it's unaturally dark, even with the lamp, torches, candles, etc... You reach the end and something happens and the darkness is gone (it returns to normal). I had a few scares and moments where I was all tensed up fleeing and hoping to find a dark corner to hide in because I put thousands of torches and candles coming to the end of the section and with the weird darkness gone, all my torches gave me 0 hiding spot and they kept sending monsters to me when I was backtracking.

But the best one for me was, at the beginning when you didn't see a monster yet, only heard it a little bit and walking on the top floor making dust fall on you. Well you break a wall and when you turn back and exit the room into the corridor, you see one of those creatures from the corner of your eyes exiting said corridor. I got a chill and goosebumps from the tip of my hair to my toes.

I asked myself. Is it worth it to continue?

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
Well I think I am officially crossing Star Wars: Dark Forces off the list, even though I haven't actually finished it. I've completed 10 of the 14 missions but I don't think it's worth continuing, because I'm playing it with a somewhat janky sourceport (DarkXL) that somehow seems like it didn't implement all the weapons or something? I'm positive that at least 3 of the weapons are simply missing from the game with DarkXL, and one weapon that is implemented (the mortar) crashes the game to desktop if I fire it. Of course I didn't realize this was happening until I was well into the game, as the first few weapons the game gives you work just fine. Unfortunately DarkXL has a different save file format than the original game so I can't just load up my save in the original game, and also there's a new version of DarkXL that apparently works better but it uses a different save format too! And it doesn't implement the "skip mission" cheat code and I don't feel like playing through the game again. I suspect if I'd started with the latest version of DarkXL I'd finish the game but as of now I don't feel like it's worth it.

Anyway, pretty good game. While there is a fair amount of "find the red/yellow/blue" mission structure going on, it also has some fairly involved puzzles and interesting maps and environments. The combat is decent (they sure got the sounds just right for the laser blasters and droids) but somewhat repetitive. Definitely a good change of pace from Doom WADs if you're into 2.5D FPSes.

Not sure what to play next. I think I need to take a break from FPSes for a little while, so here are my options:

Company of Heroes
Dawn of War: Dark Crusade (I've played through DoW gold and DoW2 + Chaos Rising)
HoMM5 (I've only played the first campaign)
Kings Bounty: Armored Princess + Crossworlds
Uplink

Any advice?

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005
Yeah, Amnesia is great. It's like they took Penumbra: Black Plague and perfected it.

Speaking of which, I finally powered through the Penumbra games. Overture and Black Plague were good, but Requiem was a disappointment to say the least. I wish I had went into it knowing what to expect. Maybe it wouldn't have been such a let-down then.

Next up, I'm debating whether I should tackle the first STALKER or Deus Ex: Invisible War. I get to a certain point with both of these games and then quit for whatever reason, I'll see how it goes this time.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Yodzilla posted:

Welp I've cleared off a good chunk of my Steam backlog. Quake and its two expansions are beaten along with Quake 2 and most of its two lovely mission packs. Also just finished up Opposing Force which was pretty decent.

Tried playing Hexen but it's just as awful as I remember it being years ago. Giving Hexen 2 a shot now.

:hi5: we pretty much went through that terrible quake/quake 2 expansion set around the same time. Moonbase, bleh. By the time I hit the quake 2 expansions I just knew I would never install them ever again. Luckily I got the doom+quake pack so I don't have to feel guilty about not playing hexen.

Today I finished metro2033, which I impulse bought last week.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Well I tried working on STALKER SoC for a while and I find it gets boring too quickly so it's unlikely I'll ever finish this. Way to much backtracking and travel time for my tastes as well, I spend more time running everywhere than I do shooting things and I like doing that. Pretty graphically impressive with the complete mod and very atmospheric, but gameplay isn't doing it for me. No big deal really, got it for 5 bucks 2 years ago.

So now I'm working on Tidalis but considering the amount of content in adventure mode, I'm not sure if I'll ever finish this either.

The other game I'm working on is Ultimate Doom with GZdoom and Brutal mod, it's been excellent except for episode 3 Inferno. The map design suddenly lost a lot of flow and I find myself having a lot of difficulty finding things (the map isn't helping) so I aimlessly wander around everywhere and it gets annoying. Either way I should be able to cross this game off my list soon and work on Doom II which I hear is a much better game.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Cubemario posted:

So now I'm working on Tidalis but considering the amount of content in adventure mode, I'm not sure if I'll ever finish this either.

I'm like 20% into the story mode and its already getting beyond my feeble abilities. I like the game I just wish it was a little more straight forward with the tasks. I guess they're supposed to make you a better player, but I get half of them with blind luck. At least its still fun.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cubemario posted:

Well I tried working on STALKER SoC for a while and I find it gets boring too quickly so it's unlikely I'll ever finish this. Way to much backtracking and travel time for my tastes as well, I spend more time running everywhere than I do shooting things and I like doing that.

Why not just use the fast travel system built into Complete rather than backtracking on foot?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

We call that travel time atmospheric, go back to CoD. :colbert:
(Joking, but still.)

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I finally beat Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter in co-op! ...But of course after that happens they decide to tempt me with a Far Cry sale. :gonk: If I don't give in to Far Cry I might start Unreal II next. I haven't beaten Unreal yet but I'm totally stuck in that. A shame since I'm close to finishing it.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Purple D. Link posted:

I finally beat Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter in co-op! ...But of course after that happens they decide to tempt me with a Far Cry sale.

Both Far Cry games suck, so no temptation there. First is terribly hard and stops being fun at the big plot twist, while the second skips the fun part altogether.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Why not just use the fast travel system built into Complete rather than backtracking on foot?

:aaaaa: how do I use it? I saw nothing like this.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cubemario posted:

:aaaaa: how do I use it? I saw nothing like this.

It's mentioned in the Complete manual. To activate it, go into the game, hit ESC to bring up the menu, and there should be a series of prompts along the bottom of the screen. IIRC it's S to smartsave (like quicksave, but it goes into a new save slot) and J or T to teleport. There's probably others I'm forgetting, too.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
My backlog has taken a major hit. I bought a new copy of C&C: The First Decade to replace my old scratched up one. I've tried and been able to play all of the games on my Win7 system. This has had dire consequences as now I can't resist the urge to just play Command and Conquer like its 1999.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Hob_Gadling posted:

Both Far Cry games suck, so no temptation there. First is terribly hard and stops being fun at the big plot twist, while the second skips the fun part altogether.
I dunno, I'm currently playing the first one and I am enjoying it. I agree about it being hard, though. I don't think I'm to the big plot twist yet, what is it?

Or were you trying to help people and keep them from adding games to their backlog regardless of quality? In that case, I agree, such a horrible game. Dear lord, what a mess, don't waste your time or money, just continue playing the games you already own!...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Eh! Frank posted:

I dunno, I'm currently playing the first one and I am enjoying it. I agree about it being hard, though. I don't think I'm to the big plot twist yet, what is it?

The big plot twist is that towards the end of the game, the challenging-but-fun open-air fights against other humans are replaced with corridor fights against generic claw-sporting monsters.

Unlike some I don't think it retroactively makes the game terrible, but it's definitely a major step down and, even plot-wise, you aren't missing out on much by dropping the game at that point.

FC2 I haven't played, but from what I've heard it makes a good loving-around game; the main problem is that if you try to do something other than gently caress around, traveling on foot results in constant ambushes by jeep-driving assholes, traveling by vehicle results in constant hostile checkpoints and traps, and all enemies respawn as soon as you turn your back.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 30, 2011

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Eh! Frank posted:

Or were you trying to help people and keep them from adding games to their backlog regardless of quality? In that case, I agree, such a horrible game. Dear lord, what a mess, don't waste your time or money, just continue playing the games you already own!...
Hahaha, well it sort of worked. I still want to play FC1, but I've decided I'll get it later. I substituted that with Unreal II. I'd like it more if I didn't move so slow. A game with Unreal in the name should not be this slow!

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Eh! Frank posted:

You'll know when you hit it. The start is hard but interesting because of a couple of things:

1) The world is pretty open. You have genuine freedom in reaching your objectives: stealth works, sniping works, making a huge flanking maneuver works.

2) Enemy AI is interesting. The mercs can run away to get help, they'll try to flank you, they generally behave like they're smart and don't want to get shot by you. Combine this with both sides being relatively fragile and you get a game of cat-and-mouse in the jungle where being smart counts as much as being fast on the trigger.

At around the big plot twist both of these get taken away. That's where it becomes hard and tedious. Even the devs acknowledge this.

Far Cry 2 is probably the biggest "could have been" I've seen in computer games ever. I played a few hours from the beginning, and vividly recall having to take out a few crates of ammunition that the wrong guys had taken hold of. The game would allow me to sneak up to a guard and take him silently out. I could place landmines (or some other explosives, its been a while) in preparation. When I was ready I would set the dry grass on fire preventing enemies from flanking me. I would then run into my chosen hidey-hole and start sniping. Those braves that tried to charge ran into landmines, others fell to my sniping and the last two guys shouldn't have tried to hide behind a pickup loaded with ammunition.

This took maybe 10 minutes of actual playing time and was awesome. The rest of the time I was driving a car through roadblocks that tried to shoot at me or through villages which sent cars to kill me. The amount of travel was staggering and 90% of content was either travel or roadblocks. It's like the game had these tiny nuggets of awesome mixed with huge turds of boredom. There may have been a story but I don't care about computer gaming stories and this one left no lasting impression. Something about someone betraying me and malaria I think. Oh, and the roadblocks respawned guards every three minutes so you'd have to kill them all over again when you drove back to home base.

Someone should take the great parts of Far Cry 2 and make a game without all the crap. That I'd buy.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

Athenry posted:

I'm like 20% into the story mode and its already getting beyond my feeble abilities. I like the game I just wish it was a little more straight forward with the tasks. I guess they're supposed to make you a better player, but I get half of them with blind luck. At least its still fun.

You can skip the levels, which is mostly what I ended up doing. I still managed to get about 15 hours out of it and the mechanics are really solid.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

If you let FarCry 2 do its thing, it's a brilliant and immersive experience almost unmatched in its ability to generate amazing moments and stories, but if you fight it or just don't "get" it (as douchey a thing as that is to say), it's tedious driving interspersed with being shot to poo poo by constantly respawning assholes. It really is one of those games you'll either grow to love or hate with a passion from the word go, and both are totally valid reactions.

That said, gently caress malaria.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I both loved and hated everything in Far Cry 2. It feels like it was half of an amazing game and half of something that no one on the development team played before shipping.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I enjoyed Far Cry 2 but sometimes when the objective was miles away from a bus stop, I would just stop playing and get back into it later. Played it in half hour bursts. Mortars are cool.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just completed Iji on Ultimortal.

:black101: ALRIGHT, WHO ELSE WANTS SOME? :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I've been told by a few people that SPAZ gets monotonous and is short lived. I'm 22+ hours and I'm just opening most of the gates I come across to see what tech I can buy. I just unlocked the Titan Beam, and upgraded the Clockwork. Sure, there's not too much difference now that I'm curbstomping most enemies (the Grinder :black101:), but I'm going to indulge in just destroying everyone I come across for a gooood while. Plus, I only encountered zombies once (during a story mission).