Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

ultrafilter posted:

Notable thrash bands outside of the big four that I can think of off the top of my head: Testament, Overkill, Exodus, Forsaken, Death Angel, Metal Church, Dark Angel, and Kreator. I seem to recall that AllMusic had some pretty good album picks for most of these guys.

Excellent, exactly what I was looking for. I'll check out AllMusic. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorstop
Jan 13, 2008
I really miss Texas

hatelull posted:

It's been mentioned before, but the Dead were notoriously known for their absolutely jammy live shows. If you want to dive right into that, you might try Europe '72. If a studio LP is your game, American Beauty or the Skeletons from the Closet compilation offer decent starting points. I am by no means a Dead Head, so I suppose someone that has a better pair of Birkenstocks and maybe smells like patchouli can offer some advice.

I know this is way back, but since you needed a Head, I'll give this a shot. To be honest, outside of American Beauty which is a pretty great country rock album, the Dead were not really good at putting together satisfying studio albums. For most of their career they really seemed to treat studio albums as a contractual pain in the rear end, and for every good studio cut there were numerous strange little experiments and castoffs that did not come into the live rotation.

That being said, there's probably a good way to approach the mountain of live material, and the great thing about it is you can get tons of truly remarkable live concerts of the Dead completely legally, as they encouraged tapers and trading of bootlegs so long as there was no profit motive.

bt.tree.org is a jam band oriented torrent site that deals in taper friendly bands. So there is a large amount of material there. If you choose to go this route, I'd recommend the Hunter's Trix series that is available here, as each of these (there are at least 80 so far, haven't checked in for a month or two) is a remastered matrix of a soundboard source and audience tape source, so you get the clean soundboard sound with the 'you're there' ambiance of an audience recording.

In addition, Archive.org has audience bootlegs that can be downloaded directly, and soundboard bootlegs (which are usually cleaner) to be streamed.

I'm probably too much of a fanboy to say there is a 'best' show, but when pushed there are a large number of Heads who would say that May 8, 1977 Cornell University is the best. Couldn't hurt to start here, since '77 is one of their best years. If you enjoy this one, '77 contains numerous great shows. Since they played live for 30 years together, there are definite eras, so you can check out '68-'69 for stoner jam feedback weirdness, '72 for more laidback stuff, '73 for super long jazz styled jams, then '83 for solid examples of how the modern format of their shows went, then '89 for the peak of mass popularity, Bruce Hornsby guested on a bunch of shows from '88 till the end in '95. And check out how sad it all got in the end by downloading anything from '95.

So yeah, a nice, concise where to start with the Grateful Dead. Sorry for gushing. Easiest approach will probably be to head over to Archive.org and listen to highly rated shows on there and see what you think. Which is probably all I should have typed to begin with.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Polegrinder posted:

Thrash. I'm talking old 80s thrash and some NWOBHM stuff. I know Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth, and Metallica. But I want to get into Testament and stuff like that. I need some classic albums to start and where do I go from there.

Exodus - Bonded By Blood
Exodus - Fabulous Disaster
Death Angel - The Ultra Violence
Death Angel - Act III
Forbidden - Twisted Into Form
Kings Evil - Deletion Of Humanoise
Testament - The Legacy
Testament - Low
Tourniquet - Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance
Tourniquet - Where Moth And Rust Destroy
3 Inches Of Blood - Advance and Vanquish
Municipal Waste - Art Of Partying
Deliverance - Weapons Of Our Warfare

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Brace posted:

Where should I start with some of those juggernauts of music(Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc.)

Led Zeppelin is best enjoyed chronologically by studio album. There are standouts on every album, but work your way up to them. I would actually give yourself a little time with each one before moving onto the next. It'll take a while before you get to some of the best stuff (Achilles Last Stand, Travelling Riverside Blues, No Quarter) but the trip there will be so worth it. However, listen to those three songs I listed anyway, preferably while driving.

Then if you want more (and you will), grab The Song Remains The Same, BBC Sessions, and How The West Was Won.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Brace posted:

So I'm recently just getting into stuff like The Doors, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc.

Where should I start with some of those juggernauts of music(Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc.)

I really like The End by The Doors and Blackbird by The Beatles if that's any indication of what I like, this stuff is entirely new to me.

For Pink Floyd, there are several possible answers, all equally valid. I'd say Meddle is where they really figured out what they wanted to do and developed a signature, iconic sound. You mentioned that you like The End by The Doors -- Pink Floyd's "Animals" is perhaps their most underrated album and has similar long, epic tracks that build and grow. Dark Side of the Moon is their most well-known album, but it's one of those rare cases where something actually lives up to the hype. Wish You Were Here stands proudly with those three. After that, imo there's a second tier of The Wall and Saucerfull of Secrets, and then the rest.

For the Doors, the first two albums -- The Doors and Strange Days -- are the best, and then Waiting for the Sun (similar in style but lesser than the first two) and L.A. Woman and Morrison Hotel (very different in style -- bluesy instead of psychadelic rock) are decent. The Soft Parade is the least of the Morrison Doors albums, and it goes without saying that you should skip the post-Morrison Different Voices.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 31, 2011

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

The Soft Parade is the least of the Morrison Doors albums, and it goes without saying that you should skip the post-Morrison Different Voices.

The Soft Parade was always the sound of a coked up band that hated each other in the studio. I've only listened to the album in its entirety twice maybe, but the title track is definitely worth checking out if only for the goofy WTFBBQ factor.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

hatelull posted:

The Soft Parade was always the sound of a coked up band that hated each other in the studio. I've only listened to the album in its entirety twice maybe, but the title track is definitely worth checking out if only for the goofy WTFBBQ factor.

It's just such a bizarre album. "Hey guys, I've got an idea. Let's stick with the psychadelic rock thing, but this time add trumpets!"

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
I might be the odd man out, but I really like Soft Parade. It has quite a few of my favorite Doors songs.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
How about Van Morrison? What are the essential albums? I know Astral Weeks is one of them, but reading through Wikipedia, all the albums seems to have a decent to excellent rating so I'm not sure what else to get

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

screaden posted:

How about Van Morrison? What are the essential albums? I know Astral Weeks is one of them, but reading through Wikipedia, all the albums seems to have a decent to excellent rating so I'm not sure what else to get

Astral Weeks is one of the top picks, as is my personal favorite, Moondance---and I think Moondance is a little easier to get into than Weeks, which is more sonically adventurous, but not quite the pound-for-pound ultimate sonic joy machine that Moondance is. Even if you're not hugely into the guy, though, everything of his from 1967's Blowin' Your Mind (TB Sheets is absolutely devastating, and no matter how often you've heard it and turned past it on the oldies station on your car radio, Brown-Eyed Girl deserves a fresh, honest listen) up to 1971's Tupelo Honey are stone classics, with lesser, but still often rewarding material coming afterwards.

In short, though, Moondance, Astral Weeks, and Blowin' Your Mind (his first three records), in that order (reverse order), would be my advice as to where to get started. Obviously someone may have a different idea, and I don't claim to be an expert on the man's work.

Oh, also maybe check his work with Them, the band he fronted before going solo. I'm not hugely into them, but Gloria is the song that launched a thousand garage bands, possibly more than Louie Louie. It's a must-hear.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Efilnikufesin posted:

I really wanna get into classical music. Besides the obvious choices (Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi, Beethoven, etc...) are there any, possibly more "contemporary," composers out there? Any albums I should get?

Building off this a little: For the obvious choices (Bach, Mozart, etc) is there a go-to resource that reviews/recommends specific recordings? I'm assuming that there will be some orchestras that have more highly regarded recordings and performances than others, and that a specific orchestra's quality varies from composer to composer (i.e. this orchestra has an amazing Bach catalogue, this one has an amazing Beethoven catalogue, etc). How does one figure out which recordings are the best to purchase? The links in the stickied thread are intimidating and look like a library search database.

Also is any obvious classical material in the public domain?

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.
I'd like to know what people recommend as a first Melvins album. There's a lot.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

pill for your ills posted:

Seconding this - I started with Houdini like most kids my age did, but there's certainly a lot of material of worth that I'm missing out on and could use a bit of a primer.

...weirdly, just a few months ago, I stopped by the airport to pick up a friend of mine, and I walk by the rental car counter and see a guy waiting in like and I think to myself "Goddamn that man looks like King Buzzo," and then wander over to the baggage claim to hang out and wait for the dude's flight to get in...and then I turn my head the other way and see a bunch of dudes all hanging around, staring intently at the rental car counter with road cases behind them, one of whom is fairly even more obviously Dale Crover In A Bad Mood. Aha! I say and chuckle to myself.

(Yeah, I know I could have just said "Hey, I wanna know this too," but that would be lame.)

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

pill for your ills posted:

Houdini is their most popular album and a good starting point, although I'd say Nude with Boots is their most accessible. A Senile Animal is similar to Nude with Boots but not quite as good imo. Other albums to check out are the two albums before Houdini, Bullhead and Lysol, and the two major label albums after Houdini, Stoner Witch and Stag.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Now, here's one I'm wondering about---Lee "Scratch" Perry. I've been hearing him a lot lately, between spinning Hello Nasty for the first time in ages, running across a Gang Gang Dance remix he did, and a track from one of his recent albums where Tunde from TV on the Radio showed up. And the man puts out something like an album every four or five months, he's a machine. Where does one even begin beginning?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Allen Wren posted:

Now, here's one I'm wondering about---Lee "Scratch" Perry. I've been hearing him a lot lately, between spinning Hello Nasty for the first time in ages, running across a Gang Gang Dance remix he did, and a track from one of his recent albums where Tunde from TV on the Radio showed up. And the man puts out something like an album every four or five months, he's a machine. Where does one even begin beginning?

Long answer: very little of what Scratch has done since the late '70s is genuinely worth listening to, at least from my perspective as a reggae head. There's a few obvious points to begin with for his earlier career: the Arkology 3CD box set compiles many of his best productions and their dub mixes, there's The Congos' album Heart of the Congos and Max Romeo & The Upsetters' War Ina Babylon, his two best album-length productions, and then there's his best Black Ark solo album, Soul Fire. Beyond that, some divergent paths to explore would be his early ska recordings (such as "Chicken Scratch", which gave him the nickname), the pre-Island Wailers stuff, the early Upsetters instrumentals, his Black Ark production history for (among others) George Faith, The Meditations, Junior Murvin, Jah Lion etc., the Upsetters dub albums (staring with 14 Dub Blackboard Jungle with King Tubby, the first dub record, Super Ape is real good too), and then his post-Black Ark work, of which the Mad Professor collabs are by far the best, and most others have little but novelty value.

Short answer: Arkology or Heart of the Congos.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
I've been listening to a little bit of Townes Van Zandt lately and I'd be interested to know where you guys think one should start out with his work and the work of musicians of his ilk. Not really familiar with country music at all.

That live album he did in Houston was pretty amazing.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ras Het posted:

Long answer: very little of what Scratch has done since the late '70s is genuinely worth listening to, at least from my perspective as a reggae head. There's a few obvious points to begin with for his earlier career: the Arkology 3CD box set compiles many of his best productions and their dub mixes, there's The Congos' album Heart of the Congos and Max Romeo & The Upsetters' War Ina Babylon, his two best album-length productions, and then there's his best Black Ark solo album, Soul Fire. Beyond that, some divergent paths to explore would be his early ska recordings (such as "Chicken Scratch", which gave him the nickname), the pre-Island Wailers stuff, the early Upsetters instrumentals, his Black Ark production history for (among others) George Faith, The Meditations, Junior Murvin, Jah Lion etc., the Upsetters dub albums (staring with 14 Dub Blackboard Jungle with King Tubby, the first dub record, Super Ape is real good too), and then his post-Black Ark work, of which the Mad Professor collabs are by far the best, and most others have little but novelty value.

Short answer: Arkology or Heart of the Congos.

Genius. Appreciate the thorough reply.

V- Noted.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 26, 2011

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Allen Wren posted:

Genius. Appreciate the thorough reply.

Oh, just noticed that I mixed up the title of that solo album, it's called Roast Fish, Collie Weed & Corn Bread, Soul Fire is a song off it :)

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

EAT DOG TODAYYYY posted:

I've been listening to a little bit of Townes Van Zandt lately and I'd be interested to know where you guys think one should start out with his work and the work of musicians of his ilk. Not really familiar with country music at all.

That live album he did in Houston was pretty amazing.

High, Low, and In Between

The Late, Great, Townes Van Zandt

Also, watch this:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/133829/be-here-to-love-me

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

runoverbobby posted:

Building off this a little: For the obvious choices (Bach, Mozart, etc) is there a go-to resource that reviews/recommends specific recordings? I'm assuming that there will be some orchestras that have more highly regarded recordings and performances than others, and that a specific orchestra's quality varies from composer to composer (i.e. this orchestra has an amazing Bach catalogue, this one has an amazing Beethoven catalogue, etc). How does one figure out which recordings are the best to purchase? The links in the stickied thread are intimidating and look like a library search database.

Also is any obvious classical material in the public domain?

I would say don't stress too much about various conductors or orchestras; it takes a fair amount of acclimatization to even recognize different interpretations, let alone being able to easily id one as being more to your taste or not. In general, anything that has found its way to cd is going to be of decent quality and it will come down to your preference and taste, which will naturally evolve as you listen more. I suppose Amazon's user reviews are a good general reference.

Efilnikufesin posted:

I really wanna get into classical music. Besides the obvious choices (Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi, Beethoven, etc...) are there any, possibly more "contemporary," composers out there? Any albums I should get?

I'm much more into opera than non-vocal classical music, but there are some obvious places to start. You'll want to survey the various epochs and see if you prefer any one to another. For the baroque period, Bach's 'Well tempered clavier', 'Musical offering', and 'Goldberg Variations' are great. For the classical period, Vivaldi's Four Seasons and Mozart's Symphony 41 (Jupiter symphony) are personal favorites, as is the andante movement of Mozart's piano concerto 23 -- perhaps my overall favorite instrumental piece, filled with such wistfulness, longing, bittersweet tone that I can't do it justice with words.

Beethoven straddles the classical and romantic eras, and of course his symphonies are among the most famous. Everyone knows the theme to his 5th and 9th symphonies. His 3rd symphony is another great piece.
Other pieces or composers I'd recommend are Chopin (absolutely love his 1st piano concerto, it's the epitome of someone just glorying in the sound of the piano), Mahler, Rimsky-Korsakov, Shostakovich. If you're in particular looking for more modern work, those last three will sound much more modern and less rigidly structured than composers from the classical and baroque periods.

Sorry I can't be of much more help. If you're interested in opera, I can give you far better advice and recommendations :)

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 26, 2011

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Where do I start with Elvis Costello and jazz (similar to the TV show Louie-style jazz).

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Not so much a "Where do I start with (artist)" but with a genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBsX4VMNGAA

Looking for stuff along the lines of that. Don't even know what to call it -- jazzy lounge music? And the string instruments are incidental, recommendations of a more traditional jazz lineup with the same vibe are fine.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Sandwolf posted:

Where do I start with Elvis Costello and jazz (similar to the TV show Louie-style jazz).

With Elvis Costello, your best starting points by far are going to be either My Aim Is True or This Year's Model. Actually, you really can't go wrong with most of the material that Costello released up to Blood and Chocolate (emphasis on most: for the love of god, please don't try out Goodbye Cruel World), but his first two albums are definitely among his best (if not his absolute best) and really introduce you to his general songwriting style.

Unless you're asking for suggestions for jazzy Elvis Costello, in which case I don't really have a clue.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

TheNintenGenius posted:

With Elvis Costello, your best starting points by far are going to be either My Aim Is True or This Year's Model. Actually, you really can't go wrong with most of the material that Costello released up to Blood and Chocolate (emphasis on most: for the love of god, please don't try out Goodbye Cruel World), but his first two albums are definitely among his best (if not his absolute best) and really introduce you to his general songwriting style.

Unless you're asking for suggestions for jazzy Elvis Costello, in which case I don't really have a clue.

Two separate requests, but thank you for answering one!

The second requests has to do with the jazz in the TV show Louie.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

Not so much a "Where do I start with (artist)" but with a genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBsX4VMNGAA

Looking for stuff along the lines of that. Don't even know what to call it -- jazzy lounge music? And the string instruments are incidental, recommendations of a more traditional jazz lineup with the same vibe are fine.

As always, If I'm wrong, which is a possibility, call me on it. Other opinions are always awesome, and often more correct than mine.

I don't hear that much that's jazzy going on here, but my entry point to jazz was from the fusion/free/space sounds of the 60s-70s---based on your previous post, I imagine you're finding her singing much more free than an opera singer's, whereas I was expecting some excursions to the unknown. Perspective!

Vocal Jazz is the genre term for this sort of thing I've heard kicked around most often, as simple as that seems, however there's any number of approaches to the genre, as many as there are styles of instrumental jazz---they usually, in what little I know as compared to the totality of jazz itself, evolved simultaneously.

As vocal jazz goes, I'm not hugely into it, but when you start talking the best of the best, it doesn't matter what genre you're into or not into, it's the stuff that'll stop you in your tracks anyway. Nina Simone would be my first suggestion, with Billie Holiday right behind---both of whom would deserve their own questions in this thread, at least. Flora Purim as well, her work with Return to Forever ("Light as a Feather" and their self-titled debut) is already in my collection.

All told, you're poking into a realm I've barely had time to glance at in my time, so there's a very good chance someone more knowledgeable will come by and completely rake me over the coals. C'est la vie.

edit - reading this again, apparently it's my James Brown moment. I'm talkin' loud and sayin' nothin'. Bleah, sorry.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 27, 2011

Clovis Sangrail
Feb 18, 2011

TheNintenGenius posted:

I agree with that, but I would just like to add that another starting point should be Imperial Bedroom, which in my opinion may be his best album.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
A friend's lent me a compilation of Brit post-punk band Half Man Half Biscuit, and I'm enjoying it, but none of the tracks have titles, and I don't know where (or when) they came from! So, where should I start with them, please?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
From the bits of reading I've done online, it seems like their debut "Back In The D.H.S.S." is the way to go, particularly if you can get a version with "The Trumpton Riots E.P." included.
That's how I went and I can't recommend it enough.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months
I've always been a fan of Pedro the Lion and David Bazan's solo work. Recently in reading an interview of his I found out about Damien Jurado. Looking at his discography between full lengths and EPs there is a lot there. Any suggestion for a starting point?

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Where do I start with Raymond Watts' PIG?

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Gimme an underground rap primer: Where do I start with Del, Mos Def and MF DOOM/Madvillain?

pablo gbscobar fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 12, 2011

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

Gimme an underground rap primer: Where do I start with Del, Mos Def and MF DOOM/Madvillain?

In my opinion:

Del: Start with Deltron 3030. It is a classic album. I'm not going to debate whether it is better than Dr. Octagon (it is), but at the least Deltron 3030 is a great introduction to Del, Dan the Automator, Kid Koala, and basically a beta-version of the Gorillaz first album. After that, I would actually say Hieroglyphics - Third Eye Vision is the next best place with Del. He isn't on everything, but he is definitely the standout star. You could also go back to I Wish My Brother George Was Here, but that album is definitely more of the early 90s bomb-squad afrocentric style rap than the style Del would later embody. As for his later solo albums, I'll be honest and admit I never really got into them much (which doesn't mean they are bad, just that the couple of times I've heard them I wasn't feeling it/in the mood/whatever).

Mos Def: Really hard to go wrong with either Black Star or his first solo album Black on Both Sides. If you put a gun to my head, and said you were interested in Mos Def specifically, I'd say go with Black on Both Sides simply because you get more of a range of the styles Mos was experimenting with (for better and for worse). I consider both albums classics, though, so if you like Mos at all you will probably get both. After that, people are split on his second solo album (The New Danger). I think it has its moments, but it is definitely worth saving for the end of the journey. Stay the everloving gently caress away from his third solo abomination True Magic. Seriously, stay far, far away. However, The Ecstatic is a really strong album - perhaps his best top to bottom. It is also a great introduction to more modern hip hop trends, and to Madlib's production style as well (he is all over the album), which would fit into your third question.

MF Doom/Madvillain: You answered your own question, start with the Madvillain album. After that, I'll let someone else fill in. He has a huge catalog and I'm not the hugest MF Doom fan, so most of my favorite albums of his are with other producers (such as Madlib or Danger Mouse on The Mouse and the Mask). The first Victor Vaughn album is decent, and I know some people love it, but seriously start with Madvillain.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 12, 2011

Clovis Sangrail
Feb 18, 2011

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

For Del, I Wish My Brother George Was Here + more importantly, the Deltron 3030 album.

Not sure about Mos Def, but for MF Doom, I would recommend Operation: Doomsday and Vaudeville Villain (as Viktor Vaughn)

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Not really a where do I start question, more like a where do I go next.

I have been into Tom Waits for a while now and already have Blue Valentine, Closing Time, Foreign Affairs, Heartattack and Vine, Nighthawks at the Diner and Swordfishtrombones. I enjoy them all, but I have no clue what to listen to next. What albums would be the best go get next?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
For some reason you've excluded Small Change and Rain Dogs, which is odd. Do those, then maybe get into his later stuff, with either Bone Machine (really weird!) or maybe The Black Rider, Real Gone, or try Orphans, though it's a lot of tracks. Dunno about his new one but I've heard good stuff.

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 24, 2011

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ah, Tom. What a guy. There's three records that immediately shout out to me as possible moves from where you are, though, really, there's barely any records in his back catalogue that aren't worth the time.

First, you can kinda round out his 70s output with what's probably one of my favorites of his, The Heart of Saturday Night, though it's generally considered one of his lesser works. Very jazzy, very much in the vein of the records he released before and after it---Closing Time and Nighthawks, respectively.

The second option is what most people would suggest: Rain Dogs. It's the next record after Swordfishtrombones, and is quite probably the defining work of his 80s output. Waits hits that record with a flurry of strange sounds, songs both traditional and untraditional, and some of his tautest writing. Indie rockers are often introduced to Waits' work with this LP, which for the longest time left me in a weird position in my younger days, trying to explain why I was really into the stuff he did before that and their eyes would glaze over, bouncing the question back: "Before?"

Third option, After spending the 80s getting weird and the 90s getting obscure and reclusive, Waits signed to punk label Epitaph (this was before they created their ANTI- imprint, where I believe he still is today) and out of nowhere, dropped the LP Mule Variations in 1999. The record is another career highlight from top to bottom, working as a sort of retrospective on his own body of work, from the weepiest of piano ballads (Picture in a Frame, Georgia Lee) to the weird grooves (the Primus-backed Big In Japan, Filipino Box Spring Hog), and on into even stranger areas (the mostly-spoken-word What's He Building?)

EDIT - holy balls I thought I saw Small Change in that list, thanks Sloth. GET SMALL CHANGE NOW

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Yeah actually, flip my rec for The Black Rider with Mule Variations. good idea.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

big business sloth posted:

For some reason you've excluded Small Change and Rain Dogs, which is odd. Do those, then maybe get into his later stuff, with either Bone Machine (really weird!) or maybe The Black Rider, Real Gone, or try Orphans, though it's a lot of tracks. Dunno about his new one but I've heard good stuff.

I find it funny that you qualify your suggestion for Bone Machine with it being a really weird album, when The Black Rider is, in my opinion at least, the absolute strangest album Waits has ever done. I mean, at bare minimum none of his other albums feature him singing like a wizened old crone or spoken word bits from William S. Burroughs.

But anyway, to respond to the person asking about Waits, I'd definitely go with Small Change, Rain Dogs, and Bone Machine as all being possible places to go next. Maybe Orphans if you don't mind getting a 3xCD set (since that one displays an absolutely huge range of styles).

edit: now that I've thought about it for a while, Franks Wild Years would be a pretty good one to get too. It's a really solid album and honestly gets kind of underrated compared to most of his Island records output.

Ikari Worrier fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

TheNintenGenius posted:

Right on. I'm not much for compilations but the release called "The Best of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years" is ridiculously great. Everything up to Imperial Bedroom is great, but I'm not really a fan of the stuff that came after. King of America seemed so ponderous, I'm not sure if I could get behind it outside of a few tunes. But this comp is rock solid.