Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Captain Filth posted:

This seems to be starting to show up on facebook. It seems to have a lot of the hallmarks of a foward. When I google it all I can find is people reposting the exact same thing.

"In the past 72 hours Israeli cities (Not military camps, cities!) have been bombarded by over 84 rockets, killing a number of civilians and forcing one million Israelis into bomb shelters throughout southern Israel. This has not reached the news at all. No mention of this is on CNN, BBC or SKY. If you condemn targeting missiles on civilians including children, please put this message on your status. Wherever I stand, I stand with Israel"
When I saw this on a college friend's wall on August 23 I posted the following 3 links:

My post was summarily ignored for a weird slapfight about Israel's manufacturing capabilities and whether we should care about Israel because they produce microchips, or if they are just more foreign outsource textile manufacturers :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

They produce a small amount of Intel's chips. Do they have other silicon fabs that I'm not aware of? Intel's American silicon manufacturing is far larger than what is in Israel.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Enjoy posted:

But that was a known unknown... :suicide: that phrase is terrible
That's actually a very important distinction. There are known unknowns, which you can model (like coin tosses), and there are unknown unknowns, which you cannot (like the next new technology). It's dangerous to confuse the two.

Sarion posted:

They produce a small amount of Intel's chips. Do they have other silicon fabs that I'm not aware of? Intel's American silicon manufacturing is far larger than what is in Israel.

As far as I know most of what's done in Israel's Intel subsidiary/branch is R&D. They do have a couple of manufacturing plants, but I doubt they're as big as in the US.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

As far as I know most of what's done in Israel's Intel subsidiary/branch is R&D. They do have a couple of manufacturing plants, but I doubt they're as big as in the US.

Exactly, that's why the "they make microchips" thing makes no sense to me.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Sarion posted:

Exactly, that's why the "they make microchips" thing makes no sense to me.

If you design something, but don't personally manufacture it, have you not made something?

miasmata
Nov 17, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

If you design something, but don't personally manufacture it, have you not made something?

technically, you've designed it.

I guess that you could say that you made a couple of files on your computer and that you've made some pieces of paper with scribbling on them.

But as a whole that paper and those files are a design. You designed something.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

miasmata posted:

technically, you've designed it.

I guess that you could say that you made a couple of files on your computer and that you've made some pieces of paper with scribbling on them.

But as a whole that paper and those files are a design. You designed something.

But it's pretty silly to say that R&D isn't a significant part of making microchips. Saying "they don't make microchips because all they do there is mostly research and design" sounds like a stretch to downplay the importance of what they do.

Sorry, I was doing engineering once, so I'm probably more riled up by that statement than I should be.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

jojoinnit posted:

But they're only part of Intel's R&D, they work with other groups around the world, most of whom are in the US. Plus the original comment according to Defenestration was about Israel's manufacturing capabilities.

And even still my bigger point was that it was a small part of what Israel's economy produces (unless I am mistaken on this point, hence my original question). It just seemed like a very strange comment for them to make. "Oh, but they manufacture microchips!" :raise:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Sarion posted:

But they're only part of Intel's R&D, they work with other groups around the world, most of whom are in the US. Plus the original comment according to Defenestration was about Israel's manufacturing capabilities.

And even still my bigger point was that it was a small part of what Israel's economy produces (unless I am mistaken on this point, hence my original question). It just seemed like a very strange comment for them to make. "Oh, but they manufacture microchips!" :raise:

Wait a sec, so the argument being made was that we should support Israel financially, because Intel has R&D labs there? Now that is a silly argument. Let Intel provide security for their own drat labs.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

jojoinnit posted:

Wait a sec, so the argument being made was that we should support Israel financially, because Intel has R&D labs there? Now that is a silly argument. Let Intel provide security for their own drat labs.

They also got a lot of tax breaks from the Israeli government to set up a fab in a low-income area. So if they want security they could invest the saved money in that. Problem solved! :eng101:

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

jojoinnit posted:

I guess so. Here is what was originally said...

quote:

My post was summarily ignored for a weird slapfight about Israel's manufacturing capabilities and whether we should care about Israel because they produce microchips, or if they are just more foreign outsource textile manufacturers

So I guess the argument went: "we should protect them because they make microchips", "no they take our textile manufacturing jobs!" :confused:

It just seemed to be a strange argument to be making is all. There's R&D there, but we do have some Fabs there as well, so the statement about manufacturing chips is accurate. I just don't understand why that would be a reason for dumping tons of money into the country.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Sarion posted:

I guess so. Here is what was originally said...

So I guess the argument went: "we should protect them because they make microchips", "no they take our textile manufacturing jobs!" :confused:

It just seemed to be a strange argument to be making is all. There's R&D there, but we do have some Fabs there as well, so the statement about manufacturing chips is accurate. I just don't understand why that would be a reason for dumping tons of money into the country.
Here's some more context, though not the entire conversation. Neither are the original poster.

Bored Guy posted:

Thanks for wasting my time with arguments I didn't ask for and have already heard repeatedly. This is the exact same reasons why we "the people" do not care.

Israelis and Jews have been shoving the Israel issue down the throat of the world for long enough. We arent telling you guys to shut up, simply that we do not care as much anymore.

Act accordingly.

Super Jew posted:

Is it hard to understand that we don't want poo poo from anyone? All we want is to be left alone. DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO US!!!! Now do you get it? Focus on your own problems, live your own life, let us take care of our own. We are not interested in attention. We don't even need those 3 billion dollars we get every year from the U.S. Just stay the gently caress out!
August 23 at 11:11am · Like

Super Jew posted:

Also, I said we don't need attention, not that we don't want to trade with you. Enjoying your Pentium processor, by the way? Invented here. Ever use this thing called a cellular phone? How about Google, you like them, right? Major development center here. That blue light thingy that took care of the pimples on your face? Yea, that's us. The only company with a viable ability to create a world-wide infrastructure to support electric car use? That's right here.
August 23 at 11:29am · Like

Bored Guy posted:

Everything you are speaking of was OUTSOURCED. There are tons of other lovely countries willing to produce those objects.

"Invented in Israel by an American or European Jews" lol
August 23 at 11:37am · Like

Bored Guy posted:

This is the beginning of your wish. An independent Israel. First, we are ignoring you in our media circuits. We have zero expectations of peace from either the israelis and palestinians. And soon enough, if the US taxpayers are lucky enough, we can stop giving our money to you and save a few dimes. Then we can outsource our businesses to cheaper countries with similar education levels, like bangledesh or india.

Then we can see how well you really survive with your 60% HS graduation rate, 100% car tax, lack of human rights, and weakass governmental structure (which was blatantly ripped off of the british design lol).
August 23 at 11:44am · Like

Super Jew posted:

This is where the conversation crosses from banter into you being just plain ignorant. When you build a textile factory in China, your outsourcing because there's cheap labor. When you build your primary R&D center in Israel, it isn't because you can pay the engineers less. It's because we have a higher concentration of brains than other countries.
August 23 at 11:59am · Like

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Way to live up to your name there, Super Jew.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Hastings posted:

What's really sad is these are the same people who scream at the top of their lungs in protest of "Muslims and atheists are indoctrinating our children" and fail to see the indoctrination of their own. When they do it, it's "raising up our children in the faith". Anything outside of direct, explicit instructions from them is anathema. It's all about "our nations' freedoms" until you start actually wanting to raise your own kids the way you want. It's like a loving journey into bizarro world. I actually had a family member stare straight into my eyes and was discussing how God cares about life and saving the babies, and in the same minute told me God wants us to torture terrorism suspects. Not for political reasons, but that God actually wants us to torture people so the state of Israel is protected, because we have a biblical duty to them. Obviously that is insane, because 1)U.S. wasn't a nation then and 2)the U.S. would have been a Gentile nation then, making it directly in opposition of the Law if it was. The idea of America being a Christian nation really is a hosed up notion because these people genuinely take it seriously and integrate it into their daily faith.

My favorite thing is when christians say that the US has to protect Israel based on religious grounds. I was having a conversation with a neighbor a few years ago that went something like this.
Him: We HAVE to protect Israel. Its our duty!
Me: Why?
Him: Because they're God's chosen people!
Me: Wait, if they're God's chosen people, why haven't you converted to Judaism?
Him: Because I'm Christian. (he thinks a moment) Well, I mean WE'RE the chosen people, but God loves them too because they follow the Old Testament too.
Me: But don't all non-Christians go to hell?
Him: Yeah, but..
Me: More importantly Islam follows the Abrahamic teachings too. They have as much in common with us as Judaism.
Him: What?

You get the point. Its amazing to how closely people associate their identity with Christianity without ever really knowing anything specific about it, not studying it, nor understanding its history. But its more an identity thing than practicing a real religion.

Amarkov posted:

"Ironically, the last sentence is a demonstrated tendency. Ignoring what Jesus said to go focus on Paul's epistles is a storied tradition in American fundamentalism."

Never though of it like that. Can you explain it more?

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

Never though of it like that. Can you explain it more?

What you have to understand is that nobody actually bases their doctrine on the Gospels. Most Christians will tell you about how important and awesome they are, but they just don't say much other than "Jesus was a cool guy and by the way don't be a dick".

So you need some other source for the majority of your religious teachings. The Catholics, claiming as we do to descend from the original churches, can mostly work from tradition for core doctrines. But obviously the Protestants couldn't do that, so they ended up settling on what's known as sola scriptura; the Bible as the only valid source of theological information. Since like I said, the gospels really don't give you that, Paul's letters end up being more important in Protestant faiths.

The problem with sola scriptura is that the Bible actually is not self-consistent. The mainline Protestant way of dealing with this is effectively the same as the Catholic way. Namely, that the Bible is meant to be read as the collection of literature that it is, so not everything stated has to be actually true. But there are some people, most notably the entire American fundamentalist movement, who don't like this very much. They don't like the idea that you should have to interpret the Bible, so they claim that it's all literally true.

How do you make that work? Well in practice, you just gloss over the inconvenient contradictory passages. For instance, Ephesians 2:10 will never ever be read in a fundamentalist church, even after the pastor reads verses 8 and 9 and laughs at the idiots who believe in works salvation. (Verses 8 and 9 say "You can't force your way into heaven by doing good works", while verse 10 says "But you are alive for the purpose of doing good works".) But I'd be giving some people entirely too much credit if I claimed this was the only thing going on.

The literalists who do bother to actually read the inconvenient verses generally subscribe to what's known as Dispensationalism. The basic idea here is that the Bible isn't one huge instruction book for all Christians ever, but is actually divided up into dispensations for different times. Which makes sense on the surface; it's explicitly laid out, after all, that a lot of the stuff in the Old Testament only applied before Jesus. The insanity comes in the way that it's applied. Everything about doing good works, along with basically everything else in the Gospels, is held not to apply to our dispensation. So when Jesus says "love your neighbor" and "blessed are the meek" and all that stuff, he isn't talking to you. He's talking to people in the time of the millineal kingdom, once he's already raptured the Christians and come back and stuff. You're only supposed to pay attention to the parts of the Bible that tell you to refrain from immorality and prosletyze.

And of course, all of this is obvious if you read the Bible literally.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Sarion posted:

Does your mom actually know any illegals? I mean really know them, as in she knows for a fact that they're here illegally? Or is she simply assuming they're illegal? Also free clinics pretty much only provide the basic service that your primary care physician would. If there's actually something seriously wrong, you're still totally hosed. And illegal aliens actually do pay taxes. Depending on who they work for they may pay FICA taxes; they absolutely pay sales taxes; and many of them pay income taxes (http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/taxes/2008-04-10-immigrantstaxes_N.htm). Not all of them do, but then again not all citizens do either.

The only way people could live opulently on welfare would be for them to make a lot of money in a way that was easily hidden (the only thing I can really think of would be drugs). People who get TANF or SNAP or Medicaid usually have to incomes below 133% of the federal poverty line; which means less than $30k for a family of 4. Even if you made the max possible and got all of those "benefits" you wouldn't be able to live "opulently". Besides, more than half of people who are on welfare leave it after two years, and nearly all leave it by 5 years. Also, how exactly do you call someone who works 60 hours a week a two minimum wage jobs to earn a massive sum of $22k "lazy"?

Actually, she's worked with horses and barns her whole life, and some of the farm hands she's met are illegal; she even worked with her boss to try and get a green card for one of them.

That said, I like all of what you've said here. The sales' tax thing in particular is something I kind of figured to be the case, along with the obvious "risk of being deported" thing they have to worry about.

the posted:

Also, ask her that, if it's such a great deal, if she would renounce her citizenship.

I thought about this, too.

Anyway, I mentioned that my mom is usually sensible and that the above was unusual for her, right? Well, her sister is like the above ALL THE TIME (which is ironic because she was the most outwardly-nice person I knew as a kid). She loves to send crazy political emails to my mom on a daily basis, and they're usually forgettable or outdated. Earlier, though, my mom told me about a new one and I asked her to forward it to me. Lo and behold, "FW: PSALM 2011 - added to the NEW, NEW, TESTAMENT!!!" showed up in my inbox:

quote:

Obama Is the shepherd I did not want.
He leadeth me
Beside the still factories. He restoreth my faith in the Republican party.
He guideth me in the path of unemployment For his party's sake. Yea, Though I walk through the valley of the bread line,
I shall fear no hunger, for his bailouts are with me. He has Anointed my income with taxes,
My expenses runneth over. Surely, poverty and hard living will follow me all the days of my life,
And I will live in a mortgaged home forever. I'm glad … I am American,
I am glad … that I am free,
But I wish … I was a dog,
And Obama … was a tree!

It also had an image of Obama in shepherd's attire and a flock of sheep with each animal having the word "liberal" written across its forehead.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

quote:

Stop giving welfare and unemployment money to people that don't need it (15% of my customers use EPPI cards to pay for my expensive [compared to the grocery store] pizza. There is rampant abuse everywhere. There is a convenience store RIGHT across the street that trades cash for food stamps for a fee). You know what? All a government agency has to do is come in and ask me if I have any complaints of welfare abuse. This is why I suggest forming an oversight committee that walks door to door or provides an anonymous tip hotline. By forming an oversight committee, the committee will pay for itself by saving the country tons of money.

Why should we stop giving hand outs?
Money == labor.

If someone comes into my store and gives me $20, I assume they worked for it.
They buy a pizza, I'm $20 richer because I worked for it.
But that's not the case, is it?

The guy was given $20 to not work. (he'd lose his benefits if he got a job)
Now, he gives the money to me. I'm $20 richer! Woohoo.
drat, I pay taxes. The taxes go back to the guy with no job.
Guy with no job buys another pizza another $20 pizza from me.
This is bullshit.

If someone gives me $20 for a pizza. Why don't I just give them the $20 (for free) back so they can buy ANOTHER pizza?

The guy will continuously pay me $20 for another pizza, 1000 times. I did a shitload of work, I brought in $20,000, but wtf... I'm broke. It looks like I'm getting richer because I have more work and am selling more pizzas, but instead I'm just putting myself in the hole!

That's what welfare/unemployment is doing to the country. We are paying people to NOT work, they spend the money, the money goes to taxes, taxes go right back to the people NOT working. It's the same as giving them back their money at the time of purchase. We work harder, they get more by not working at all.

If one person is on an Island, and the other person is disabled, the first person does all the work. The first person has to share everything with the disabled person in order for both of them to survive. What's in it for the person that works? Companionship? Perhaps. What if the guy who works becomes old or disabled? Now they both die.

I don't think that it's a problem that a guy shares the fruits of his labor with someone less fortunate. But I know there has to be a fine balance. If a guy could produce a lifetime of apples and had enough to last him his entire life and then some, he has no excuse to share the excess apples. Rich people have more apples than they can spend in a lifetime. No need for them to have more apples than they need. Taking the excess is not going to have an affect on the rich, but it'll have a big affect on the people that need it.

At the same time, if someone only has 10 apples, but the disabled person demands 6 apples (more than a reasonable amount of what the worker makes), the worker has the right to say "gently caress you"... or at least I would. As the person who did the work, consistent with the law of life, you are entitled to survive more than the disabled person. It's the circle of life... the weak die, the strong survive. At most, a weak person can "beg" for a handout, and at very least, a strong person can "charity" a free handout. But there is definitely a line that is crossed when the begger asks for too much or the giver gives too little.

I don't even know what to say to this guy...

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

100% tax rate in the world where examples with apples are found peppered about in academic dissertations

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

the posted:

...what? Does he own a pizza parlor? That... takes food stamps? Is there any state at all that allows welfare recipients to use food stamps anywhere but a grocery store or other kind of food market?

Anyway, here's my vote for what to say to him:

What really gets me is how you maintain that you might be charitable if it weren't for the gub'mint giving out all that welfare. No you wouldn't, dickhead. You and your mouth-breathing fundie teabagger friends wouldn't lift a finger to help anyone and you know it. Taxpayer-funded social welfare is the government's way of forcing you to be a decent goddamned human being, even if you have to be dragged kicking and screaming. Fuckwad.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Leospeare posted:

...what? Does he own a pizza parlor? That... takes food stamps? Is there any state at all that allows welfare recipients to use food stamps anywhere but a grocery store or other kind of food market?
You can buy uncooked pizza with EBT.

My question to him is how exactly he'd be better off if these people didn't get the $20 to give to him, but rather went to Warren Buffett's savings account where it never gets spent.
If he owns the store, he should just stop taking EBT and stop sucking the government teat. If he doesn't, he shouldn't question his betters in management. Maybe if he worked harder and pulled himself up by his bootstraps he wouldn't be a cashier.

Cacatua
Jan 17, 2006

the posted:

The last part of that is pretty drat cold. Is he actually saying that he'd (she'd?) wants the disabled or unemployed die in the streets so his taxes go down? What a psychopath.

Other than people with severe disabilities, who are these people that stay on welfare indefinitely anyway? You don't get a lot of money on welfare, and most people who use it only do so temporarily.

Why do these people who bitch about a portion of their taxes being used to prevent other Americans from starving never whine about the amount of money spent on defense?

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

nm posted:

You can buy uncooked pizza with EBT.

I didn't even know you could buy uncooked pizza at all at pizza parlors, let alone with EBT. The more you know!

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Leospeare posted:

I didn't even know you could buy uncooked pizza at all at pizza parlors, let alone with EBT. The more you know!

Take and bake pizza chains are primarily what it is directed at, I'm pretty sure my local Papa Murphys takes EBT.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Amarkov posted:

The literalists who do bother to actually read the inconvenient verses generally subscribe to what's known as Dispensationalism. The basic idea here is that the Bible isn't one huge instruction book for all Christians ever, but is actually divided up into dispensations for different times. Which makes sense on the surface; it's explicitly laid out, after all, that a lot of the stuff in the Old Testament only applied before Jesus. The insanity comes in the way that it's applied. Everything about doing good works, along with basically everything else in the Gospels, is held not to apply to our dispensation. So when Jesus says "love your neighbor" and "blessed are the meek" and all that stuff, he isn't talking to you. He's talking to people in the time of the millineal kingdom, once he's already raptured the Christians and come back and stuff. You're only supposed to pay attention to the parts of the Bible that tell you to refrain from immorality and prosletyze.

And of course, all of this is obvious if you read the Bible literally.

That's very interesting regarding Dispensationalism. I've never heard of that before, but it makes sense as a flimsy excuse for why American Fundamentalists seem to ignore all of Jesus' (and a good chunk of Paul's as well that talk about things like love and the everybody being equal in God's eyes) teachings so they can use Christianity as an excuse to be horrible regressive assholes. I think it also explains the complete mess that is "biblical proof" regarding the Rapture. If you already think like that, its not a stretch that you'd be willing to force various unrelated passages into proof for your completely nonsensical beliefs regarding the end times.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 29, 2011

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I do like that it apparently supports taxing the wealthy, which is better than most of these.

However, still a massively retarded email.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

quote:

The guy will continuously pay me $20 for another pizza, 1000 times. I did a shitload of work, I brought in $20,000, but wtf... I'm broke. It looks like I'm getting richer because I have more work and am selling more pizzas, but instead I'm just putting myself in the hole!

That's what welfare/unemployment is doing to the country. We are paying people to NOT work, they spend the money, the money goes to taxes, taxes go right back to the people NOT working. It's the same as giving them back their money at the time of purchase. We work harder, they get more by not working at all.

1) Most of them DO work. They just get paid poo poo or their work is sporadic at best.
2) It's not the same as giving them back their money at the time of purchase because only a small fraction of the money they gave you gets taxed. What's more, only a fraction of that fraction actually goes to Food Stamps. If I recall correctly, SNAP has a budget of about $35B, which is 1% of the Federal Budget. So of the $20 he gave for pizza, maybe 20% goes to taxes ($4) and 1% of that (or 4 cents) goes to SNAP. What's more, you couldn't even argue that it's the same as giving the guy back 4 cents, because in reality that 4 cents gets divided among everyone on food stamps. The example is completely insane, it would apply if the tax rate was 100% of all of the store's revenue (not just profit), and 100% of all taxes went to SNAP.

quote:

If one person is on an Island, and the other person is disabled, the first person does all the work. The first person has to share everything with the disabled person in order for both of them to survive. What's in it for the person that works? Companionship? Perhaps. What if the guy who works becomes old or disabled? Now they both die.

1) Disabled people aren't just a drain, many times they worked for years or decades before becoming disabled. My neighbor was a nurse for a decade, making ~$70k a year, but is not unable to work due to chronic medical conditions so she get Disability and Medicaid. She spent a long time paying taxes, and she still works part time as much as she can and pays taxes on that.
2) They're basically saying we should just let the disabled die. That's fine I suppose, I mean at least they're up front about it. But most people think it's wrong, which is why I think most people in this hypothetical would work to keep them both alive rather than just themselves.
3) If the working person becomes to old or disabled to work, they'd still have ended up dead in either scenario, what's the point exactly here?
4) Back in the real world, there is more than a 1 to 1 ratio of workers to disabled workers. So it's more like if 7 people were stranded, after 3 months of all working 1 became disabled, and the other six did most of the work and shared the burden of keeping the disabled person alive. Or they could just let him die.

quote:

I don't think that it's a problem that a guy shares the fruits of his labor with someone less fortunate. But I know there has to be a fine balance. If a guy could produce a lifetime of apples and had enough to last him his entire life and then some, he has no excuse to share the excess apples. Rich people have more apples than they can spend in a lifetime. No need for them to have more apples than they need. Taking the excess is not going to have an affect on the rich, but it'll have a big affect on the people that need it.

At the same time, if someone only has 10 apples, but the disabled person demands 6 apples (more than a reasonable amount of what the worker makes), the worker has the right to say "gently caress you"... or at least I would. As the person who did the work, consistent with the law of life, you are entitled to survive more than the disabled person. It's the circle of life... the weak die, the strong survive. At most, a weak person can "beg" for a handout, and at very least, a strong person can "charity" a free handout. But there is definitely a line that is crossed when the begger asks for too much or the giver gives too little.

Disability and other forms of welfare, all combined, even SS and Medicare, do not take up 60% of ANYONE's income. In general it's "1-4 apples" to pay for everything, not just welfare, but roads, schools, defense, law enforcement, etc.

Sarion fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 29, 2011

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
So apparently this fellow pays 100% in taxes and somehow, despite presumably living in a society, derives no benefit from tax revenue himself.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Sarion posted:

1) Most of them DO work. They just get paid poo poo or their work is sporadic at best.
2) It's not the same as giving them back their money at the time of purchase because only a small fraction of the money they gave you gets taxed. What's more, only a fraction of that fraction actually goes to Food Stamps. If I recall correctly, SNAP has a budget of about $35B, which is 1% of the Federal Budget. So of the $20 he gave for pizza, maybe 20% goes to taxes ($4) and 1% of that (or 4 cents) goes to SNAP. What's more, you couldn't even argue that it's the same as giving the guy back 4 cents, because in reality that 4 cents gets divided among everyone on food stamps. The example is completely insane, it would apply if the tax rate was 100% of all of the store's revenue (not just profit), and 100% of all taxes went to SNAP.

1) Disabled people aren't just a drain, many times they worked for years or decades before becoming disabled. My neighbor was a nurse for a decade, making ~$70k a year, but is not unable to work due to chronic medical conditions so she get Disability and Medicaid. She spent a long time paying taxes, and she still works part time as much as she can and pays taxes on that.
2) They're basically saying we should just let the disabled die. That's fine I suppose, I mean at least they're up front about it. But most people think it's wrong, which is why I think most people in this hypothetical would work to keep them both alive rather than just themselves.
3) If the working person becomes to old or disabled to work, they'd still have ended up dead in either scenario, what's the point exactly here?
4) Back in the real world, there is more than a 1 to 1 ratio of workers to disabled workers. So it's more like if 7 people were stranded, after 3 months of all working 1 became disabled, and the other six did most of the work and shared the burden of keeping the disabled person alive. Or they could just let him die.

Disability and other forms of welfare, all combined, even SS and Medicare, do not take up 60% of ANYONE's income. In general it's "1-4 apples" to pay for everything, not just welfare, but roads, schools, defense, law enforcement, etc.

You should just reply to point 2 with "Good thing we don't live on an island!"

az
Dec 2, 2005

Cacatua posted:

The last part of that is pretty drat cold. Is he actually saying that he'd (she'd?) wants the disabled or unemployed die in the streets so his taxes go down? What a psychopath.

The same kind of people that told my friend he should've died of cancer when he was 10 instead of being saved stealing tax money by SOCIALIZED MEDZIN in Canada.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

az posted:

The same kind of people that told my friend he should've died of cancer when he was 10 instead of being saved stealing tax money by SOCIALIZED MEDZIN in Canada.

Also the kind of people who scream "Heil, Hitler!" at an Israeli Jew because he praises Israel's healthcare system at a US townhall in 2008.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

What about throwing dollar bills at a man with Parkinson's Disease?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

People should definitely listen to her interview beforehand:

http://youtu.be/PcRr5xA-K80

"I believe in Biblical values"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

People like this is what's wrong with America today.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

If it's the video I'm thinking of, the person who yelled "Heil Hitler" is wearing an IDF t-shirt.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I got some crazy ravings from my uncle the other day:

Uncle Crazy Man posted:

http://www.morningstartv.com/oak-initiative/marxism-america
You need to watch this and then forward to everyone you know.
A video that will make you think seriously!
This is bone chilling and 52% of the voters did this to us by
electing Obama. If you can't play this on your computer
(picture and sound) then send it to someone who can play
it and go watch it with them!

Just try and imagine the formatting. Think 20 point font or whatever. Anyway, in the following discussion I learned something that made me facepalm harder than I think anything that ever came out of one of these discussions. My uncle always says I should read 1984 in the same breath as "Oh no, socialism!" I never read 1984, but I was curious because I didn't ever recall it being a cornerstone of conservative thought. Now I wasn't going to read a whole book just so I could rebut my crazy uncle, but I decided that it was worth a fifteen minutes on Wikipedia.

Anyone familiar with 1984 must see where this is going by now.

tl;dr: My uncle literally thinks that Ingsoc* is socialism.

The sudden understanding of the subject matter combined with the level of wrongness was just more than I could deal with.

*Ingsoc is a hypothetical ideology resulting from totalitarian establishment perverting socialist revolution into pretty much the total opposite of socialism.

Disclaimer: It's totally possible that I got this all wrong on account of not actually having ever read 1984, but it seemed pretty clear from the bit that I've read on Ingsoc, the book, and Orwell himself. Feel free to correct me if that's the case.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010
From what I remember, Orwell was worried about a socialist revolution being corrupted by totalitarian influences (quite reasonable, after what happend in Russia). But yeah, it's not really defensible to argue that openly socialist George Orwell wrote a book against socialism.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Amarkov posted:

From what I remember, Orwell was worried about a socialist revolution being corrupted by totalitarian influences (quite reasonable, after what happend in Russia). But yeah, it's not really defensible to argue that openly socialist George Orwell wrote a book against socialism.

'Why I Write' summed up his political beliefs pretty well.

George Orwell posted:

Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic socialism, as I understand it.

Z-Magic fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 29, 2011

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

It's been years since I read it; plus I read it and Brave New World back to back, so I've probably got parts from the two mixed up in my head. But I don't really remember it as being about Socialism vs. Capitalism so much as it was about Totalitarianism. And since Socialism != Totalitarianism, I would say there's a logical fallacy going on here. But like I said, it has been a long time.

However, I did find this quote from one of Orwell's essays:

"The Spanish War and other events in 1936–37, turned the scale. Thereafter I knew where I stood. Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written directly or indirectly against totalitarianism and for Democratic Socialism as I understand it."

Also the wikipedia entry (I know, I know) makes an interesting point about how during the 1950's, copies of Orwell's Animal Farm included that quote, but quote mined it to "Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written directly or indirectly against totalitarianism...", leaving out the reference to Democratic Socialism. Which ironically enough, is the very type of censorship the main character in Nineteen Eighty-Four was involved with before rebelling against the party.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Yeah, that was pretty much what I got out of all of it. The realization though. Man, I don't know that I've ever experienced such a :aaaaa: moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010
No, it was entirely about totalitarianism. To the extent that socialist ideas were even brought up, it was to show how Ingsoc had rejected and corrupted them.

The preface to the first version of 1984 I read stated it best. The book isn't about how a failed socialist revolution caused totalitarianism; it's about how totalitarianism caused a socialist revolution to fail.