Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

supernothing
May 18, 2004
Buy me a custom title
My time at the big parts store has gotten so bad that I won't even shop at this store and use my 20 perrcent discount, I go to one of the competitors and pay full price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I don't know if I'm being a bigoted jerk or not, but today two young women and a young man came into work and bought something for $1.80. One of the girls handed me a debit card and I told her we have a credit card minimum for $5, sorry.

The girl she's with gets up in my face and goes, "Um, she's not from the states so she doesn't have any cash on her."

I know she was speaking some sort of Slavic language before, but she was also speaking English and probably could have told me herself. Additionally, who comes to another country without even $2 in change?! I know that not everyone is privileged enough to have money but she was trying to pay with a debit card, so she had money somewhere...In fact, I think it was a Citibank card...

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
The out date thing is infuriating. Especially when the health inspector comes and finds a million things and you had no clue because the date was not obvious at all and the manufacturer doesn't send anything to indicate how to read it. It is worse when it's a gas station or something of that ilk where the candy and such comes from an outside vendor. And water..seriously water I think I made my boss cry when during a slow season me and a co worker spent a few days finding all of the codes and taking everything out. Most of it went back to the vendors but man it was a pain because some of those codes are printed in spots where you practically have to open the product to find the code. Just insane. This thread is making me want to just haul up and move to Europe. It is so frustrating when you are just trying to do the right thing and there are companies actively working against you do doing that.

*Edit I have read in a few places that the charge minimum is actually illegal and places that do it can be heavily fined. It sucks because the stores make no money off of a small charge but ehh what are we supposed to do.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Not illegal, but against their agreement with VISA and Mastercard, so they could have their card reader deactivated.

There are definitely stores out there that simply have a sign saying "credit cards with a 5% charge". They all tend to be convenience stores based upon beer. I guess they figure their customers aren't the type to report them.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I know it's against the agreement, but I have no say in the minimum or not...

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Is it illegal for a company to print a driver's license number onto a check in the US? Because one customer I had was pretty adamant it was. Or he said the credit bureau told him not to, and it was illegal.

I just kept telling him that the check reader will automatically print the license number after I type it in, but it still took him like ten minutes to actually give me his check and DL.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Is it illegal for a company to print a driver's license number onto a check in the US? Because one customer I had was pretty adamant it was. Or he said the credit bureau told him not to, and it was illegal.

I just kept telling him that the check reader will automatically print the license number after I type it in, but it still took him like ten minutes to actually give me his check and DL.

It's not illegal, its just stupid. It makes it easier to steal someone's identity.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

At my old Shop-Rite, we had to use or SSNs to punch into the timeclock. And if I recall part of it was on our paychecks. And the timeclock was right by all the registers by customer service.

Yea that was pretty dumb.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Phyzzle posted:

Not illegal, but against their agreement with VISA and Mastercard, so they could have their card reader deactivated.

There are definitely stores out there that simply have a sign saying "credit cards with a 5% charge". They all tend to be convenience stores based upon beer. I guess they figure their customers aren't the type to report them.

Interesting. Minimum spend for a card purchase is fairly common here in the UK, in anything smaller than a big name supermarket. Guessing it's either not the same agreement system over here or people just aren't aware so aren't likely to report it.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

supernothing posted:

My time at the big parts store has gotten so bad that I won't even shop at this store and use my 20 perrcent discount, I go to one of the competitors and pay full price.
I know a few coworkers that do this because the company pissed them off or threatened to fire them. I do get angry when I hear coworkers shopping at competitors when they have no problem with the company, especially if it's Walmart.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

2508084 posted:

It's not illegal, its just stupid. It makes it easier to steal someone's identity.

Of course, and he said that about ten times, but it's not like I can change what the reader prints onto the check. I just told him to take it up with our head office.

vv Yeah, he just did not want to hear any of it. It took the acting manager for the night telling him that "Yes, the checks are going to go into the safe in like ten minutes and then they will be in a sealed deposit bag and we are taking them to the bank in the morning" to get him to actually give me his driver's license. And he was still saying 'well what about the bank tellers!?'.

big dyke energy fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 28, 2011

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Of course, and he said that about ten times, but it's not like I can change what the reader prints onto the check. I just told him to take it up with our head office.

I totally didn't read the "for a company" part of your sentence. I thought he was saying it was illegal period to put your DL# on your checks. I know people who will put DL, Phone number, hell even some still do SSN on their checks.

No, if your *company* is printing the DL# on the check as you run it, then thats perfectly legal and a better idea than having the cashier write it in what may or may not be legible handwriting.

\/ like most work force laws :v:

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 28, 2011

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Phyzzle posted:

It's also never ever ever enforced.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
Nah, it's legit. Just not for debit cards.

http://usa.visa.com/about_visa/ask_visa/index.html

Minimum Purchase

U.S. retailers may require a minimum purchase amount on credit card transactions. The minimum purchase amount must not exceed $10 and does not apply to transactions made with a debit card.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

NickBlasta posted:

Nah, it's legit. Just not for debit cards.

http://usa.visa.com/about_visa/ask_visa/index.html

Minimum Purchase

U.S. retailers may require a minimum purchase amount on credit card transactions. The minimum purchase amount must not exceed $10 and does not apply to transactions made with a debit card.

I think what he's talking about is different. What's not right is slapping a different price on a product just because they're using a credit card. Like if I bought somthin for $10 with debit, but they jack it up to $12 because I'm using a credit card. It's not minimum purchase, it's altering the price based on payment.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Chicken Doodle posted:

I think what he's talking about is different. What's not right is slapping a different price on a product just because they're using a credit card. Like if I bought somthin for $10 with debit, but they jack it up to $12 because I'm using a credit card. It's not minimum purchase, it's altering the price based on payment.

They do enforce this. Or at the very least take the time to send out stop it letters. I wouldn't want to mess with credit card companies if I was a business.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Chicken Doodle posted:

What if they give a discount for using cash? Liquor stores I've been in always seem to give a discount for using cash. So charging $10 for cash or $12 for credit, seems like one of those "six of one, half a dozen of the other" situations.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

drat Bananas posted:

What if they give a discount for using cash? Liquor stores I've been in always seem to give a discount for using cash. So charging $10 for cash or $12 for credit, seems like one of those "six of one, half a dozen of the other" situations.

That's tricky... Say the product, vodka, is $20. If you pay $20 in cash and get a discount, that's iffy and seems to me to be the same kind of dishonesty, but might be fair. If you pay Visa and the bottle goes up to $22 based solely on that fact you're paying with Visa, that's a breach of the contract the merchant has with Visa/Mastercard.If they display the Visa/Mastercard Accepted sign they must abide by their rules. You shouldn't be penalized for paying with a CC. (sorry, I just learned all this in my new job's training)

Erm, sorry about the derail. It's been weird getting out of retail. I have noticed that I'm really a lot calmer when I shop though, heh. A girl at Staples helped me find a poster board that looked like it was sold out, and I got her name and told her Manager she saved the sale. It's sad that he (and other employees) looked genuinely stunned that someone would give an employee praise.

Chicken Doodle fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 28, 2011

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

drat Bananas posted:

I'm pretty sure that's exactly the same thing - the credit card companies don't want their purchasing method to be seen as the more expensive option to the consumer (even though it is to the business), so that's why that rule is in the merchant agreement. If you get it cheaper by paying with cash, that's literally the same as it being more expensive with Visa, and I suspect if they get wind of it the retailer will get a "stop it" letter and/or their card processing pulled.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I work for a California based company, if that matters.

We are not to ever write down a DL number on a check, or on a manual draft credit transaction (the old carbon copy kachunk-kachunk credit receipts when it doesn't go thru the regular way). Even though there is a giant spot on the manual drafts that say to put DL # here, and that on most of the checks we get, the DL # is preprinted on it.

For credit transactions (that go through electronically, and don't need the old carbon copy ka-chunk ka-chunk way), we are allowed to "ask" for ID, but we are not allowed to require ID. I get lots of customers that watched a 60 Minutes, or a Nightline or something, that tell me it's illegal for me to ask for ID for a credit transaction. I say "No, I can ask for it, but you can refuse to show me. If you refuse, then your card must be signed on the back, and your electronic signature must match the card." This confuses people.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Fil5000 posted:

I'm pretty sure that's exactly the same thing - the credit card companies don't want their purchasing method to be seen as the more expensive option to the consumer (even though it is to the business), so that's why that rule is in the merchant agreement. If you get it cheaper by paying with cash, that's literally the same as it being more expensive with Visa, and I suspect if they get wind of it the retailer will get a "stop it" letter and/or their card processing pulled.

I see this argument going, what about all the gas stations that charge $3.95 for credit, $3.85 for cash?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Medullah posted:

I see this argument going, what about all the gas stations that charge $3.95 for credit, $3.85 for cash?

I saw that near my house and I've never seen it before when I lived in NJ. My boyfriend asked his dad who lives in Maine and he said it was illegal. What gives?!

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008
From the Visa page (Google Cache because the page is being lovely right now).

A surcharge for using credit is against the rules (and apparently against the law in some states). A discount for using cash is not. Yeah, it's functionally the same thing, but it's technically different and is thus allowed.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

SIHappiness posted:

From the Visa page (Google Cache because the page is being lovely right now).

A surcharge for using credit is against the rules (and apparently against the law in some states). A discount for using cash is not. Yeah, it's functionally the same thing, but it's technically different and is thus allowed.

That's... utterly backward. I mean, really? All the store has to do is price everything up 10% and offer a 10% discount for not-credit? I don't think I've ever actually been to a store in the UK that has offered any sort of cash discount - maybe it's not legal over here.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Fil5000 posted:

That's... utterly backward. I mean, really? All the store has to do is price everything up 10% and offer a 10% discount for not-credit? I don't think I've ever actually been to a store in the UK that has offered any sort of cash discount - maybe it's not legal over here.

Look at any utility bill.

5% discount for using direct debit. Exactly the same as saying we'll make you pay more if you pay with your credit card, or go to the post office with cash in reality but technically its not the same so thats ok.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Look at any utility bill.

5% discount for using direct debit. Exactly the same as saying we'll make you pay more if you pay with your credit card, or go to the post office with cash in reality but technically its not the same so thats ok.

Excellent point, hadn't considered that. I suppose I associate it with "we will charge you for sending you a paper bill" which at least sort of makes sense as you're getting something "extra" (despite the fact that companies would happily send you paper bills for years and years until email became widespread).

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I've only seen one store use the "Discount for cash/debit" in my country (Iceland). And that's when buying school books for college. I always feel like a boss when the 5% discount rings up for me. "gently caress yeah, marginally cheaper when I save up for it!" :rock:

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Had some customer get pissed and walk out on a huge deal for a coke because he couldn't read. The coupon was for a 1.25L and you could get it free except the sales tax (which it stated on the coupon), so his total would have been 6 cents. "That isn't free!!" And walked out without the coupon. So thanks for the deal I guess.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Excellent point, hadn't considered that. I suppose I associate it with "we will charge you for sending you a paper bill" which at least sort of makes sense as you're getting something "extra" (despite the fact that companies would happily send you paper bills for years and years until email became widespread).

I thought that the charge for paper billing was to encourage people not to choose it, thus saving needless paper wasting. And that the direct debit discount was to encourage people to use a system of payment that is taken automatically.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Robzor McFabulous posted:

I thought that the charge for paper billing was to encourage people not to choose it, thus saving needless paper wasting. And that the direct debit discount was to encourage people to use a system of payment that is taken automatically.

I'm pretty sure it's just to encourage customers to use the billing and payment methods that have the lowest cost to the company so they make more money off your transaction.

It's just like grocery stores that give you a discount for bringing in your own bags. They don't have to give you bags for free, so they knock off a small sum that ostensibly would equal the surcharge they markup to cover cost of the bags.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I want to know who thought it was a good idea to put a 50 year old 4'10" old lady in a department that requires to be able to lift 20-60lb boxes all day, and to reach up to stuff that is stacked 6 feet and requires getting a bit wet and dirty due to having to clean. Lets not even mention about having to hustle due to hours being cut since 5 years ago.

I have two choices:

1. Communicate between her and my bosses that she isn't getting the job done due to her being physically incapable and then getting called out being a bad manager and maybe having to deal with a few tears.

2. Or me just dealing with it and picking up the slack and being miserable.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

e: poo poo

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 29, 2014

Testro
May 2, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

I had it happen when I started at university. There was a small shop which was miles from a cash machine, and the guy offered me a 10% discount if I paid by cash. As it was my first venture into town I didn't have a clue where the nearest cash machine was (and I wasn't carrying any) so I stuck to paying by card.

I think that's the only time I've seen it happen in the UK though.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I've never seen it in a retail store here in the UK, but it applies to just about any service/utility or so it seems. Electricity? Direct debit discount. Insurance? Processing fee for credit cards. Booking a ticket with Ryanair? Hahaha, who the gently caress am I kidding, if you somehow manage to make it through their website without paying a card charge their hired goons will beat it out of you at the airport.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

rolleyes posted:

I've never seen it in a retail store here in the UK, but it applies to just about any service/utility or so it seems. Electricity? Direct debit discount. Insurance? Processing fee for credit cards. Booking a ticket with Ryanair? Hahaha, who the gently caress am I kidding, if you somehow manage to make it through their website without paying a card charge their hired goons will beat it out of you at the airport.

I think Ryanair get away with that because there is literally one type of card that something like 0.5% of the population actually HAS that you can check out without any card fee. It's how they get away with advertising the flights at the price without the card handling fee, just because there's a tiny chance that you might not attract it. I recall an interviewer asking Michael O'Leary about whether he thought that was a fair way to advertise, and his response was basically "It's legal, so it must be ok."

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
O'Leary's just the kind of person who is objectionable to most of the population. He's happy to use the law when it suits him (like your example) but when it doesn't then he and his company pull some downright shady poo poo. The biggest one I can remember was the whole Icelandic ash cloud business, where events kind of went:
  1. Ryanair refuses to cover anything other than cost of a flight even though they're legally required to cover all accommodation and reasonable food expenses caused by delayed flights in Europe.
  2. Press attacks Ryanair.
  3. O'Leary cries that the law's not fair.
  4. The government makes it clear in no uncertain terms that Ryanair will be subject to legal action from the state if they don't comply with the law.
  5. Ryanair starts paying, but not before thousands of their passengers have had to incur significant debts paying for hotels on their own.
He's actually proud of his scumbag image and yet somehow, in his weird world, thinks that we'll all be terribly sympathetic to him for having to comply with the laws he should be well versed in considering they're rather important to the industry he's operating in.

Erm, I seem to have derailed the thread somewhat so apologies.
tl;dr: gently caress Michael O'Leary.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Good news everyone! They bought my team lunch because we're pretty much performing miracles on a daily basis. So 1/2 of a small stromboli later, I'm feeling slightly more pleased with myself.

Not that lunch is going to make up for understaffing us for the past 2 1/2 years and denying me 45 minutes of overtime on Friday. A day which we made like $89,000 over plan. So yea, that :10bux: sure is gonna but a hurting on those numbers.

But a free lunch fixes everything right?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

rolleyes posted:

O'Leary's just the kind of person who is objectionable to most of the population. He's happy to use the law when it suits him (like your example) but when it doesn't then he and his company pull some downright shady poo poo. The biggest one I can remember was the whole Icelandic ash cloud business, where events kind of went:
  1. Ryanair refuses to cover anything other than cost of a flight even though they're legally required to cover all accommodation and reasonable food expenses caused by delayed flights in Europe.
  2. Press attacks Ryanair.
  3. O'Leary cries that the law's not fair.
  4. The government makes it clear in no uncertain terms that Ryanair will be subject to legal action from the state if they don't comply with the law.
  5. Ryanair starts paying, but not before thousands of their passengers have had to incur significant debts paying for hotels on their own.
He's actually proud of his scumbag image and yet somehow, in his weird world, thinks that we'll all be terribly sympathetic to him for having to comply with the laws he should be well versed in considering they're rather important to the industry he's operating in.

Erm, I seem to have derailed the thread somewhat so apologies.
tl;dr: gently caress Michael O'Leary.

Edit: ^^^^^^^^^ Long as it wasn't a ghost stromboli. Nothing is worse than haunted food.

Nah, it counts, because he's like some of the dodgy managers that have come up in the thread. The sort that will not only break the law, but make their employees do so as well and probably sack them if they don't.

I don't object to Ryanair's business model (i.e. strip everything you can out of the flight experience apart from "a chair" and then charge for everything else), because if you're going from one end of the UK to the other, or just across the channel, you don't need a film, food, all that stuff, so you should be able to not have it and pay less. It's all O'Leary's dodgy behaviour - like saying publicly that the ash cloud was all basically fine and the government were being big babies about it (despite no evidence either way at the time he said it, and no retraction from him since tests showed the cloud could well have utterly hosed up anything flying through).

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Is it just the restaurant industry, or is it all over retail that customers are complete and total assholes on Sundays? I mean moreso than usual. I understand that you've just sat through a monotonous church service for [x] amount of hours and you're probably grumpy because you had to get up early on the weekend, but stop taking it out on servers, you jerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

Is it just the restaurant industry, or is it all over retail that customers are complete and total assholes on Sundays? I mean moreso than usual. I understand that you've just sat through a monotonous church service for [x] amount of hours and you're probably grumpy because you had to get up early on the weekend, but stop taking it out on servers, you jerks.

I dunno, when I worked in a bakery during high school Sundays after church were busy, but no different from the Saturday early morning rush. Probably because we were a bakery though.