Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Pope Mobile posted:

I noticed Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is on instant. Everyone's talking about the books and movies. Is it even worth watching?

First one is great, 2nd and 3rd ones aren't as good, but still pretty entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Zwabu posted:

I envy people watching this film for the first time. But then I'm also always disappointed that Ewan MacGregor's career has never yielded a role that he was quite so perfect for him as Mark Renton.

Yeah, it was one of those "I get what the hype was about now" kind of films that wasn't underwhelming at all. Being the geek that I am, I checked the wikipedia page on it and Danny Boyle seems game to make a sequel, but MacGregor (easily my favorite part I've seen him act) wants no part of it.

Batui
Mar 13, 2005

A word of warning about The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: given the book's popularity you might not realize that there are some really, really disgusting scenes in the movie. I had seen it not long after I watched Irréversible (the movie with the infamous 9 minute rape scene; also available on instant) and Irréversible was definitely easier to sit through. As for the second and third movies, the second one is okay, the third is possibly the worst movie I've watched on Netflix this year. Not much happens in it, the mystery aspects are pretty much absent, and the main characters are never in any danger outside of a few scenes. It's just two hours of waiting for the bad guys to get their comeuppance.

As for other movies, I thought I'd recommend two really good movies with a goon as the protagonist. Buffalo '66 stars Vincent Gallo as a man recently released from prison, who kidnaps Christina Ricci and has her pose as his wife for his parents and then go on a date with him, all without realizing that she might actually like him (probably because he constantly orders her around and shuts her up whenever she's expressing her own thoughts). Gigante is a Spanish-language film featuring an obese security guard at a hypermarket who starts to monitor a female worker he likes, and eventually starts stalking her as she leaves work. Instead of, you know, attempting any form of social interaction with her.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Marwencol is an interesting movie that is on instant. A documentary about a guy that gets his brain damaged in a bar fight and after he recovered he made a miniature town that is pretty amazing.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Batui posted:

As for other movies, I thought I'd recommend two really good movies with a goon as the protagonist. Buffalo '66 stars Vincent Gallo as a man recently released from prison, who kidnaps Christina Ricci and has her pose as his wife for his parents and then go on a date with him, all without realizing that she might actually like him (probably because he constantly orders her around and shuts her up whenever she's expressing her own thoughts).

Before I saw this movie I read a interview with Christina Ricci and in it she said that Gallo was a rear end in a top hat throughout the entire filming, calling her fat and saying she was a horrible actor. Basically he acted just like he does in the movie. Knowing that just completely ruined the movie for me.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

casual poster posted:

Before I saw this movie I read a interview with Christina Ricci and in it she said that Gallo was a rear end in a top hat throughout the entire filming, calling her fat and saying she was a horrible actor. Basically he acted just like he does in the movie. Knowing that just completely ruined the movie for me.

Maybe he's a method actor?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Pope Mobile posted:

I noticed Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is on instant. Everyone's talking about the books and movies. Is it even worth watching?

Just finished watching this, and it's thoroughly awesome. Take two very interesting and sympathetic protagonists with separate story lines that eventually meet, add one part "ooh a mystery", with a mystery story line that goes all the gently caress over the place, add a thoroughly evil villain, shake it all up and you get a very good film.

Kind of wraps things up a bit too neatly for my taste (Hollywoodish) and leaves me wondering where the sequels come from, unless it's the further Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew adventures of Lisbeth and Mikael investigating other mysteries that are unrelated to the story in the first film.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I see that the entire series of Universe from the History Channel is now on netflix. Is it any good? I am hesitant because the History Channel has been complete dogshit for years.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Over the last weekend I watched:

Dear Zachary which was such an amazing and emotional documentary that it almost literally floored me. I knew basically nothing about it going in, other than it was a documentary film made as a video letter to the child of the filmmaker's murdered friend.

Snow Falling on Cedars set right after WWII in a tiny coastal town where a Japanese American is accused of murder. I found it powerful and moving, it uses flashbacks and a varied color pallet to tell the story of murder, racism, regret and love.

Winter's Bone a kind of rural noir movie that Roger Ebert can explain better than I can.

Roger Ebert posted:

This world is established with bleak economy in the opening scenes of Debra Granik's “Winter's Bone,” which was a double prize winner at Sundance 2010. Unmistakably filmed on location, this film focuses on a society that has been left behind. It looks like Walker Evans' photographs of the rural Depression, brought forward to today. The unanswered question is how Ree Dolly grew up in this world and became strong, self-reliant and proud. She didn't learn it from her parents.

The sheriff comes to call. Her father Jessup has skipped bail. To meet his bond, he put up the house — perhaps the only asset he had. If he doesn't turn himself in within a week, the family will be thrown out. Just like that. “I'll find him,” Ree says quietly and firmly. And that's what she sets out to do.
They're all currently on instant, they are all really good movies that packed a strong emotional punch and each moved onto my personal favorites list immediately. They're not exactly full of rainbows and kittens though, so maybe don't watch them all as close together as I did.

I think I'm still reeling. :smithicide:

a kitten has a new favorite as of 05:26 on Aug 31, 2011

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

a kitten posted:

Over the last weekend I watched:

Dear Zachary which was such an amazing and emotional documentary that almost literally floored me. I knew basically nothing about it going in to it, other than it was a documentary film made as a video letter to the child of the filmmaker's murdered friend.

Not knowing anything about this movie beforehand is the only way to watch it. It's such a devastating movie.

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?

User-Friendly posted:

Not knowing anything about this movie beforehand is the only way to watch it. It's such a devastating movie.

I'd almost say even that's saying too much.

Fralcon
Nov 25, 2002

by Ozmaugh

User-Friendly posted:

Yes this, one of the best documentaries I have ever seen, and I watch alot. Everyone should watch this, it's grim and sad and beautiful.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Elijya posted:

Sure, it's got the generic reality show host...

He's a Texas copy of Jeff Probst, which isn't necessarily bad and fits the show's frequent western themes. Agree though, Top Shot is a good show. Season 3 just started airing and they corrected one of the big mistakes of season 2: too many ex-military. The best part, as you mention, is that the interactions are real and usually not junior-high style drama.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"

a kitten posted:

Winter's Bone a kind of rural noir movie that Roger Ebert can explain better than I can.
I watched this on a whim and fell in love with this film. Plan on adding it to the library.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

For some reason, I cannot stop watching Blue Mountain State.

Really over-the-top raunchy college show. I'd say it has the Sex Drive effect: the genre is kind of dead, but it's hilarious enough to keep you watching.

EDIT: Just watched Dear Zachary and feel like a dick for recommending something as stupid as Blue Mountain State. Take some time to watch that documentary.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Aug 24, 2011

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

wormil posted:

He's a Texas copy of Jeff Probst, which isn't necessarily bad and fits the show's frequent western themes. Agree though, Top Shot is a good show. Season 3 just started airing and they corrected one of the big mistakes of season 2: too many ex-military. The best part, as you mention, is that the interactions are real and usually not junior-high style drama.

He's actually a former Survivor winner, I believe.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
Bodyguards and Assassins is available now. Yessss.

Insensative_Asshole
Dec 18, 2007
I've seen The Violent Kind like three times now. I can't figure out if its awesome or stupid. Its on instant now, someone help me decide.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Do the Right Thing is on Netflix streaming, if your only exposure to Spike Lee are his recent movies or that one joke on Family Guy you should give it a watch, it's probably one of the best movies about racial tension in America ever made. Then afterward go to the CineD thread to talk about how awesome it is!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Hobo with a Shotgun was a winner. I was surprised there was some interesting social commentary like Rutger's scene with the babies. Loved how the violence wasn't reserved just for bad or ugly people, everybody got some.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo I'm struggling with. About 2/3, maybe less, through it and while it is well made and well acted, the story doesn't interest me. I'm not getting into the mystery enough to care what happened to the girl; nor can I relate to either of the main characters. Is it worth sticking with until the end?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Captain Lavender posted:

For some reason, I cannot stop watching Blue Mountain State.

Really over-the-top raunchy college show. I'd say it has the Sex Drive effect: the genre is kind of dead, but it's hilarious enough to keep you watching.

Also recommending this show. Think It's Always Sunny but with a football team as the main characters. The first season of the show is pretty amusing, but the second is far superior. The addition of Radon and Mary Jo greatly improve the show. I'm probably more excited about the next season of Blue Mountain State than the next season of How I Met Your Mother.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

wormil posted:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo I'm struggling with. About 2/3, maybe less, through it and while it is well made and well acted, the story doesn't interest me. I'm not getting into the mystery enough to care what happened to the girl; nor can I relate to either of the main characters. Is it worth sticking with until the end?

I think so. I'm a bit biased because I was pulled in right away with the musical score and sense of foreboding. I do think the mystery gets a bit too convoluted just before it gets solved, but you are probably a lot closer to the resolution of the mystery than you think. The film's climax actually comes before the end, and there's a fair amount of epilogue.

The resolution of the mystery and villain are a little more in line what what you may be familiar with and like better as far as story. I'm sorry you didn't care for the two lead characters, I really liked both and was interested in both and was dying to see how their stories would come together.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Nthing the recommendation for Dear Zachary. I have never felt anger and devastation induced nausea until I watched this movie. My heart felt like it dropped straight through the floor. I was sobbing.

Winter's Bone is also really good.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
For a couple that sits for far too long sifting through all the titles available, this thread is a godsend.

Also, kind of off-topic, but of the three Netflix-capable videogame consoles, the Wii uses the least electricity by a wide margin. Handy to know if you're pinching pennies/getting raped on your utility bills.

Stolen Life (Dark drama, Mandarin language with English subtitles)
Yan'ni is almost run over by a charming man making deliveries on campus. They get to know each other, and she ends up pregnant--something against the rules at her university.

Hot Summer Days (Romance comedy, Mandarin language with English subtitles)
A brutal heatwave is the setting for this comedy composed of several intertwining stories.

The Immaculate Conception of Little Dizzle (Indie comedy, English language)
I can't even begin to explain this one. It's one of the most bizarre films I've ever seen.

Outsourced (Culture-shock romance comedy, English language)
Josh Hamilton plays a call center manager that is sent to India to train a batch of new recruits.

Piccadilly Jim (Quirky romantic comedy, English language)
Sam Rockwell (who really aught to be in more films) plays the titular Jim, a high-society man with a penchant for drinking and womanizing. When he meets the woman of his dreams, he pretends to be someone else. A goofy and frantic film--one of my favorites.

New Guy (Indie workplace comedy, English Language)
Gregg starts his first day at his new office job on the right foot, only to slowly come to the realization that things aren't all they seem at the office. Don't be put off by the subpar video quality. This is a weird film, but very good.

I saw I Love You Phillip Morris mentioned earlier. There was a disclaimer at the end that mentioned that it was a dramatization of real events. How much of what happened in the film really occurred?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

GeneralFai posted:

I saw I Love You Phillip Morris mentioned earlier. There was a disclaimer at the end that mentioned that it was a dramatization of real events. How much of what happened in the film really occurred?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Jay_Russell

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

GeneralFai posted:

Until the wiki link I thought this was a documentary about cigarettes.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

wormil posted:

Until the wiki link I thought this was a documentary about cigarettes.

I watched the whole movie wondering where it was going to tie in to "Big Tobacco" and the credits were rolling before I realized I was duped into watching Jim Carrey rail a dude from behind

(I really enjoyed the movie though)

beekeepersdaughter
Jan 9, 2010
I don't know if this has already been mentioned, and I'm not sure if it's totally in keeping with the spirit of the thread (it being a TV show and not a movie), but about two hours ago I started watching this ridiculously small-vision, low-budget reality show on Netflix Instant called "Coming Out Stories".

I usually don't cry at anything. I cried at Old Yeller when I was four and then cried again (gracelessly, vigorously, senselessly) during the most recent Planet of the Apes movie. But I wept like a crazy person weeper during all of the episodes I've seen so far. Seriously bawled. I started crying during the first episode (swear to God a tearjerker) and just cried, maybe due to momentum from the first episode, throughout the rest of the episodes I've seen so far...

A good show. Queue it up if you're bored and want to cry.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

caveman thug poo poo posted:

I watched the whole movie wondering where it was going to tie in to "Big Tobacco" and the credits were rolling before I realized I was duped into watching Jim Carrey rail a dude from behind

(I really enjoyed the movie though)

I thought it was the best romantic film I've seen in the past decade :3:

e: But I'm so bummed that mainstream America couldn't embrace it.

Tailwhoop
Oct 18, 2008

Luigi to Kobe's Mario.

There was more to it than just that prison escape. He really did attempt the other 3 that were depicted in the film.

http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/12/02/i-love-you-phillip-morris-fact-vs-fiction/

Dude is loving amazing. (And everyone he fooled are loving stupid)

Edit: Oh, they went over them in the wiki article. Whoops.

Tailwhoop has a new favorite as of 06:40 on Aug 29, 2011

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

While we're still on gay themed cinema:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Wedding_Banquet/60011421?trkid=496624

The Wedding Banquet, an earlier Ang Lee work from before he became massively famous, from the early 90's.

A Taiwanese yuppie guy and his white boyfriend live together happily in NYC. They hatch a scheme for the Taiwanese guy to marry his Chinese deadbeat art student tenant so she can get a green card, he can get tax breaks and get his parents off his back once and for all about finding the right girl.

Of course they insist on coming to America to arrange an elaborate wedding, deception, complications and comedy ensue.

It's funny but very good characters and writing, the "drama" aspect is very strong as well. 5/5.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
I just started the first episode of Star Trek: Enterprise. The intro music is some weird, slow, country-type bullshit. Is this indicative of the quality of the rest of the show?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Yes. Run. Run away.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

particle409 posted:

I just started the first episode of Star Trek: Enterprise. The intro music is some weird, slow, country-type bullshit. Is this indicative of the quality of the rest of the show?

No, it's the best part of the show. It goes downhill from there. It is literally the worst television show I've ever watched and I'm a Trek fan. The acting is abysmal, the continuity is non-existent and many important events happen off-screen, plus it's time travel stories all the way. In a Mirror, Darkly (1&2) were the best episodes and probably the only ones worth watching. On a positive note, I liked that the Andorians were a key race in the series and Jolene Blalock actually did well as a Vulcan.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Mad Men is gone. Son of a bitch, i was halfway through.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Mad Men is gone. Son of a bitch, i was halfway through.

Is it?! poo poo. I was 20 episodes in :(

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Eat This Glob posted:

Is it?! poo poo. I was 20 episodes in :(

FALSE ALARM!! Sorry. My Wii must have brain problems. It's still there.

Smiley!
Dec 7, 2009

The Picard Maneuver
Actually, I'd say that Enterprise does manage to improve over time, if only because the bar was set so low by seasons 1 and 2. Both of those seasons are pretty lame and boring. Every character is bland and personality-free, and the show refuses to do anything with the "prequel" setting, instead having to resort to poo poo like this to get ratings.

Seasons 3 & 4 at least try to change things up by taking some risks with the formula. Season 3 is basically a season-long story arc, as opposed to the standalone first two seasons. The villains are pretty goofy as hell, but it's worth noting that the show goes from pristine and safe at the start to Archer having to steal warp coils for his falling-apart ship by the end.

Season 4 is where the show should have been from the start (and coincedentally is the season that creators Rick Berman and Brannon Braga had the least to do with). The season is made up almost entirely of multi-part story arcs that attempt to tie into stuff that happened in the previous shows, rather than just do its own thing a few hundred years in the past (the Temporal Cold War, Daniels, the Suliban, etc.) I'd recommend watching those episodes if you want the best the show has to offer. But whatever you do, don't watch the last episode "These Are The Voyages", it's dumb as hell and manages to make every stupid decision it possibly can in the span of 45 minutes.

wormil posted:

On a positive note, I liked that the Andorians were a key race in the series

Dude's right, the Andorians are awesome and one of the few things the show did consistently right. Any episode that has Jeffrey Combs as Shran is very watchable, at the very least (TATV notwithstanding).

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

wormil posted:

No, it's the best part of the show. It goes downhill from there. It is literally the worst television show I've ever watched and I'm a Trek fan. The acting is abysmal, the continuity is non-existent and many important events happen off-screen, plus it's time travel stories all the way. In a Mirror, Darkly (1&2) were the best episodes and probably the only ones worth watching. On a positive note, I liked that the Andorians were a key race in the series and Jolene Blalock actually did well as a Vulcan.

I've watched over 90% of The Next Generation, but skipped the final episode because the description talked about time travel. I'll stick with the series a little more, but I may just stop if I encounter too much time travel. Also, upon further review, the intro music is more 80's power/love ballad as opposed to country. Either way, it's a little out of place next to TNG and Voyager's intro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up

particle409 posted:

I've watched over 90% of The Next Generation, but skipped the final episode because the description talked about time travel.
Too bad, the final episode is amazing.

• Locked thread