Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
When I create a hybrid Sentinel|Ranger and choose the Ranger's Beast Mastery hybrid talent option, the companion selection screen shows three "companion" selection areas. They all appear to pull from the same variables or whatever since whatever name and description I put into one is automatically entered into the other two. Oh, did I mention there are three of these areas? I think there should only be two of them.

As near as I can tell, it's the beast master ranger selection area which is duplicated, not the Sentinel's companion one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
The Wizard's Apprentice theme lists it's utility powers as Order Adept powers, though they are the correct powers for Wizard's Apprentice. Also hybrid Executioner does not tell what Attack Finesse (hybrid) does.

Tivaan
Jul 13, 2011

TangentLogic posted:

I've been getting the following error recently:

8/26/2011 12:43:25 AM - INFO: CBLoader version 1.3.0
8/26/2011 12:43:58 AM - ERROR:
Inner Exception: Invalid character in the given encoding. Line 2686, position 164.

When I reload again, the error occurs between:
"Loading 09-feats.part..."
and
"Loading 10-cleric.part..."

My windowsXP acts funny sometimes too, try cleanup.bat and run again. That seems to fix the issue for me.

One thing I have noticed, and maybe its just me, but Windows 7 I never have an issue its gets the updates the first time and runs, perfectly. Windows XP well it gets the updates and runs, but the next time you fire it up it finds the same updates sometimes and runs them again. I dont understand why it reruns the same updates, sometimes it causes an issue then i run a cleanup bat and it fixes it again. XP is funky, I dont mind at all because 7 is our main VT computer for D&D, and I store my stuff there.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

sake posted:

Is Dancing Fire suppose to use 'x' instead of '+' in the damage lines and be missing it's CA effect?

Also, any chance you could give the Bladesinger actual wizard dailies? That seems to be the number one complaint about the class (plus it caused silly charop crap like Bladesingers that use INT as a dump stat.)

Glad it's working for you. I'm still not getting it. Worked fine until I put all the header stuff in. Anyway, yes, it is supposed to be 'x' with no CA. Their ability to drop straight out damage without exploiting vulnerabilities or charging is awful. The CA got moved to Frost Bite.

As to the Dailies, I'll definitely think about it. I never went near my 'Daily' power last time because even with that melee basic minor, I could think of better things to do with both my minor and my standard. I'll be playing it again next Wednesday and decide at that point.

edit: I got it to work. Seems the category was originally "ID_INTERNAL_CATEGORY_BLADESPELL" but has since been corrected to "ID_FMP_CATEGORY_75." The index now gives you a file that works. :)

RyvenCedrylle fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 27, 2011

TangentLogic
Feb 16, 2011

Tivaan posted:

My windowsXP acts funny sometimes too, try cleanup.bat and run again. That seems to fix the issue for me.

One thing I have noticed, and maybe its just me, but Windows 7 I never have an issue its gets the updates the first time and runs, perfectly. Windows XP well it gets the updates and runs, but the next time you fire it up it finds the same updates sometimes and runs them again. I dont understand why it reruns the same updates, sometimes it causes an issue then i run a cleanup bat and it fixes it again. XP is funky, I dont mind at all because 7 is our main VT computer for D&D, and I store my stuff there.

Cleanup.bat alone didn't fix it for me, but after running cleanup.bat, I cleared out the Custom folder except for Wotc.index and two homebrew .parts, and that did it.

sake
Feb 23, 2011
Sorry, but I nver actually loaded the file. I just browsed through the code. My cbloader's having issues right now anyway. Some drat virus I picked up is causing it to crash on loading.

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

TangentLogic posted:

I've been getting the following error recently:
Inner Exception: Invalid character in the given encoding. Line 2686, position 164.

Greetings folks.

If you get an error like this one that TangentLogic or one like:
Inner Exception: Unexpected end of file has occurred. The following elements are not closed: specific, RulesElement, D20Rules. Line 52908, position 208.

You probably received a faulty download of a file. CBLoader doesn't fix that by itself. If your file was cut-off then CBLoader gets confused. It will not repair this condition by itself.

How to fix this problem
If you used my CBLoader Installer program and have the Skull Icon "CB Clean Up" shortcut then use that. That cleans out your temporary files just like the normal Batch Removal Tool and also deletes all your WotC part files (but not the Index, or anything else in your Documents\DDI\CBloader directory. Then when you start up CBLoader it will re-download all of your files and that bad file will be hopefully good this time. If you didn't use the Installer then make sure you delete the file where the error is occurring or just delete all of the part files and keep the index file. Then use the Batch Removal Tool and restart CBLoader.

Tivaan
Jul 13, 2011
To add to what Greyhawk stated the most likely reason you got a faulty or partially downloaded file is because an update was being performed at that same time..... so maybe what Greyhawk suggested a while back of having maybe a weekly update isn't such a bad idea... this would eliminate a lot of problems such as the ones that have been popping up

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Earth Domain does not appear as an option for the Templar's Domain feat.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

06-races has been updated with today's Racial Utilities.

SabreCat
Dec 12, 2010

d4 damage with the ill behavior
The short text for Light Blade Expertise is misleading. It says "+1/2/3 (by tier) to attack vs. creature granting combat advantage, damage rolls"; this is backward. It's the attack bonus that's on all the time, and the +damage that only occurs when you have CA. "+1/2/3 (by tier) to damage vs. creature granting combat advantage, all attack rolls" maybe?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

RyvenCedrylle posted:

06-races has been updated with today's Racial Utilities.

Thanks for doing that so quickly! A problem I noticed- I haven't read the article yet, but I'm guessing that Persuasive Words isn't supposed to have a trigger of being dropped to 0 HP or fewer.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

SabreCat posted:

The short text for Light Blade Expertise is misleading. It says "+1/2/3 (by tier) to attack vs. creature granting combat advantage, damage rolls"; this is backward. It's the attack bonus that's on all the time, and the +damage that only occurs when you have CA. "+1/2/3 (by tier) to damage vs. creature granting combat advantage, all attack rolls" maybe?

I edited it on my character sheet to read:

+1/2/3 (by tier) to attack; +1/2/3 (by tier) damage vs. creature granting combat advantage

That makes a little more sense.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Sefer posted:

Thanks for doing that so quickly! A problem I noticed- I haven't read the article yet, but I'm guessing that Persuasive Words isn't supposed to have a trigger of being dropped to 0 HP or fewer.

I've corrected the problem, but did not bother making a whole new revision for it, so either delete your current copy and let it update or just catch it on the next full revision. Thanks!

SabreCat
Dec 12, 2010

BUG: Some recent change seems to have un-fixed the Two-Weapon Defense feat. It's back to printing a conditional modifier string instead of actually applying the AC/Reflex bonus while you meet its conditions.

TWEAK: Deft Blade displays its defense-targeting option in both the Attack line and an add-on at the bottom of the card. The latter seems like overkill. Also, if you're using the feat, you're more frequently going to use the Reflex option; might be nice to list it as "Reflex or AC" so "Ref" is what displays in the box at the top of the card.

TYPO: Cat Burglar utility 12 "Instant Escape" says "restraines" instead of "restrains".

...Yeah, I play a Rogue, why do you ask? :P

SabreCat fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 27, 2011

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

SabreCat posted:

I'd just add a strategic semicolon: "+1/2/3 (by tier) to attack; vs. creature granting combat advantage, damage rolls."

SabreCat
Dec 12, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

I'd just add a strategic semicolon: "+1/2/3 (by tier) to attack; vs. creature granting combat advantage, damage rolls."
That's pretty hard to read. I like Drewjitsu's suggestion, even if it does break to a third line on the sheet.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

SabreCat posted:

BUG: Some recent change seems to have un-fixed the Two-Weapon Defense feat. It's back to printing a conditional modifier string instead of actually applying the AC/Reflex bonus while you meet its conditions.

TWEAK: Deft Blade displays its defense-targeting option in both the Attack line and an add-on at the bottom of the card. The latter seems like overkill. Also, if you're using the feat, you're more frequently going to use the Reflex option; might be nice to list it as "Reflex or AC" so "Ref" is what displays in the box at the top of the card.

TYPO: Cat Burglar utility 12 "Instant Escape" says "restraines" instead of "restrains".

...Yeah, I play a Rogue, why do you ask? :P

Heh, you can tell the classes I play, by the fixes that I post. I just had my rogue die, so now I'm on to the Mage, so I imagine that the fixes will be coming fast and furious for that class.

EDIT: Two-weapon defence got borked due to the new short descriptions being added. Nice catch, I'll fix that right now.

CHANGES TO PARTS

Bug-Fixes:
Removed Two-weapon Defense

Feats:
Fixed two-weapon defense to incorporate bug-fixes as well as new short description.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 28, 2011

Sakri
Dec 15, 2010

SabreCat posted:

Hmm, I only revised short feat descriptions for feats that were added by WotC (pre-Essentials), but maybe I should also do it for feats added by the community if there are errors there, too.

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

The recent change to the Level 5 Order Adept theme left regular wizards in the dust with no benefit. I have done a fix for the fix and now it is working for all Wizards (arcanist, mage, and bladesinger). I am not so sure that the other benefit concerning class retraining is going to work with such a complicated if/then/or but thing going on. :)

Anyone using the Order Adept theme on a real character that isn't a wizard? If so let us know if it is cocked up and I will look further into it.

Sakri posted:

Hmm, I only revised short feat descriptions for feats that were added by WotC (pre-Essentials), but maybe I should also do it for feats added by the community if there are errors there, too.
You could certainly check through home-brew part files and send some suggestions to those part authors. I imagine that the post Essentials feats all have short descriptions already.

Greyhawk Fan fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 28, 2011

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Small fix to paragonpaths.part, just to fix a typo in the Pharlian Phantasmist.

EDIT: small Change to Visions of Avarice - the power card now properly displays your attack bonus

EDIT DOS: Renegade Red Wizard now works. Let me know if you like the way it handles things for whatever reason, I can't get "Renegade Red Wizard Apprentice" to show up on the character sheet, just "Renegade Red Wizard level 4 feature", which is a little more wordy.

Seems like the site is down at the moment, when it's back up, I'll upload the new fix.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 28, 2011

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I looked around and didn't find any threads about it: is the old offline Monster Builder still available anywhere?

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

S.J. posted:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I looked around and didn't find any threads about it: is the old offline Monster Builder still available anywhere?

This is still available:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Tool.aspx?x=dnd/4new/tool/adventuretools

There is a download Adventure Tools Classic button. This had a patch toward the end of the year to fix a couple of issues but mostly what they did was erase a bunch of monsters from the Monster Builder. They claimed it was because these monsters were from inferior designers (RPGA writers) and weren't good enough. This sounded like Bull poo poo to me but whatever.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Bugfixes:

"Hey guys, I really want to be a Red Wizard Mage, but the level 4 and 8 features don't work! What gives?"

Changes to Files

Themes.part
Renegade Red Wizard level 4 & 8 features now work with the Mage class. (Other Coders, please have a look and see if you can't get "Renegade Red Wizard Apprentice" to appear on the Character Sheet instead of "Level 4 Renegade Red Wizard Feature" - it would take up a lot less space)

Wizard.part
Added some code to some of the Class features (Level 4 apprentice mage, level 8 expert mage) to allow the renegade red wizard theme to work. Should not impact any other mages.

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Concerning wizards it just occurred to me that WotC has given free Magic Missiles to the Mage sub-class (which has serious hook-ups) and also free Magic Missiles to the Bladesinger sub-class (which also has tons of special stuff).

I wonder why they decided to not give free Magic Missiles to the default wizard or Arcanist sub-class too? Seems like a pretty lovely thing considering the Mage has all the spells and more than the Arcanist and hook-ups to boot.

Wonder if folks are submitting feedback to that effect. If they don't fix it in the final version I might modify my Deluxe Missiles part to give the Arcanist Magic Missile Feature too. Seems odd that 2/3 of wizards would get this for free but they would leave the Player's Handbook crowd in the dust.

Tivaan
Jul 13, 2011

Greyhawk Fan posted:

Concerning wizards it just occurred to me that WotC has given free Magic Missiles to the Mage sub-class (which has serious hook-ups) and also free Magic Missiles to the Bladesinger sub-class (which also has tons of special stuff).

I wonder why they decided to not give free Magic Missiles to the default wizard or Arcanist sub-class too? Seems like a pretty lovely thing considering the Mage has all the spells and more than the Arcanist and hook-ups to boot.

Wonder if folks are submitting feedback to that effect. If they don't fix it in the final version I might modify my Deluxe Missiles part to give the Arcanist Magic Missile Feature too. Seems odd that 2/3 of wizards would get this for free but they would leave the Player's Handbook crowd in the dust.

Greyhawk I agree, WotC sometimes makes no sense, I would add them, just for fairness sake.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Greyhawk Fan posted:

That was one of a bunch of things I included in my feedback email to WoTC about the arcanist playtest :)

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

On a similar note, I'm going through the Quintessential Wizard .part to update it and will likely give the Arcanist access to Suggestion and Spook as cantrips as well. Seems dumb they don't have official access, but whatever. :P

Sakri
Dec 15, 2010
I submitted my new, more polished short feat descriptions with the aforementioned abbreviations included. I will next visit race and class features in the same manner, and remove references to "you gain power x" since they are useless on the char sheet, and the relevant power card is there. Unless people object to this.

Tivaan
Jul 13, 2011
Just rec the feat list, will get started on it as soon as possible.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hey guys, I just realized that I edited Prismatic Beams (because it wasn't showing the attack bonus on my card).

If you think this is a terrible change, let me know, and I'll revert it back to the original non-working way.

Sorry about that.

EDIT: the attack line should read:

code:
<specific name="Attack"> Intelligence vs. Fortitude, Reflex, Will </specific>

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 30, 2011

Sakri
Dec 15, 2010
Hmm, how does one prevent the printing of class/racial feature's name on character sheet? If I remove the short description, the trait's name is still printed. In fact, many paragon path features are already this way; WotC has not added any short descriptions for them and only the name is printed. But as mentioned, printing the name is redundant if the feature only grants a power that has its own power card.

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Sakri posted:

Hmm, how does one prevent the printing of class/racial feature's name on character sheet? If I remove the short description, the trait's name is still printed. In fact, many paragon path features are already this way; WotC has not added any short descriptions for them and only the name is printed. But as mentioned, printing the name is redundant if the feature only grants a power that has its own power card.

I am pretty sure we already removed tons of redundant grant x power features. Can there be a lot more?

Sakri
Dec 15, 2010

Greyhawk Fan posted:

I am pretty sure we already removed tons of redundant grant x power features. Can there be a lot more?

So what exactly do you remove to prevent it from being printed on character sheet? For example, if we want to remove mention of dragonborn's breath weapon from racial features, since it just says that you gain the power.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Changes to parts:

Wizard.part:
Minor changes to Visions of Avarice Attack (renamed to "Visions of Avarice Secondary Attack" and now the target line shows up in the box it's supposed to.

Mirage arcana now will display the attack vs. defense numbers.

Prismatic Beams and Prismatic Spray now will output an attack vs. defense number (feel free to comment on this change. If it's unliked, we can revert it to the original formatting).

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Sakri posted:

So what exactly do you remove to prevent it from being printed on character sheet? For example, if we want to remove mention of dragonborn's breath weapon from racial features, since it just says that you gain the power.

If that is a racial power then it should be in the race box where normally there is plenty of room and honestly I wouldn't bother to remove it. That said, check out any class feature that is suppressed and you will see the secret. Here is an example:
code:
  <RulesElement name="Level 2 Warpriest Utility Power" type="Class Feature" internal-id="ID_FMP_CLASS_FEATURE_2954" source="Player Essentials: Heroes of the Fallen Lands" revision-date="10/14/2010 9:29:04 AM">
    <Category> 2 </Category>
    <Flavor> As you hone your faith, that faith is rewarded with the power to aid and heal your allies. </Flavor>
    <specific name="Short Description"> Choose one utility power </specific>
    <specific name="Level"> 2 </specific>
    <specific name="Powers"> ID_FMP_POWER_947,ID_FMP_POWER_665,ID_FMP_POWER_12607,ID_FMP_POWER_945 </specific>
    <specific name="type"> Utility </specific>
    <specific name="Class"> ID_FMP_CLASS_2 </specific>
    <specific name="_DisplayPowers"> ID_FMP_POWER_947,ID_FMP_POWER_665,ID_FMP_POWER_12607,ID_FMP_POWER_945 </specific>
    <specific name="_CS_ShortDescription"> @ </specific>
    <rules>
      <select type="Power" number="1" Category="ID_FMP_CLASS_2,utility,2" />
    </rules>
You gain one of the following powers of your choice.
</RulesElement>
You make sure that the character sheet short description line is present and only has an @ symbol there. It is the magic of the at-mark.

<specific name="_CS_ShortDescription"> @ </specific>

Tivaan
Jul 13, 2011
Updated all of the new feat descriptions with the new file from Sakri

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Tivaan posted:

Updated all of the new feat descriptions with the new file from Sakri

Hopefully it doesn't over-write the feats we've fixed (like two-weapon defense).

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Today is my birthday and that means you all get a present! Wait.. that's not how it's supposed to work.. eh, just go with it.

I went through the last couple days and overhauled the Quintessential Wizard .part and made a bunch of changes. These changes are intended to make the material more compatible and competitive with the current material:

*The xistera and dragonfang been reverted back to the hat and dragonmask per the book. These are Head Slot implements and work properly. There will be no Superior versions made of these, BUT they also add to your NADs like any other item in that slot. I will probably write a feat or two for the Mirror and Shield users sometime soon since I can't make superior versions of those implements.

*All relevant Quintessential Wizard powers have had school keywords added to them for the Mage. Nethermancers, take note - you now have a viable paragon path in the Vacuist.

*Wizards (Arcanists, whatever) gain the Spook and Suggestion cantrips as well as the Magic Missile attack. This is long overdue, IMO.

*Added a Conjuration school option for Mages.

I will no longer be supporting the old Quintessential Wizard part in the OP since this material contains a fair amount of homebrew stuff as well. You can get the index here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

RyvenCedrylle posted:

I will no longer be supporting the old Quintessential Wizard part in the OP since this material contains a fair amount of homebrew stuff as well. You can get the index here.

Edited the OP to include this new information. Removed the prior link, and updated the link to the index file for the new quintessential wizard.

• Locked thread