Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jay Dub posted:

I get what you mean, but I don't know that that necessarily applies to Fright Night. Sure, it cracks a Twilight joke here and there, but I never got the impression that it was some calculated ruse to swindle horror geeks out of money. If anything, Conan the Barbarian was more of a shameless cash grab on a popular title than Fright Night was.

I'd say that Conan was more of a what would happen if a Syfy movie got an actual budget type of thing. It's a lot like the occasional miniseries they make that has a couple actual actors and tries to be competent.

Conan almost went out of it's way to say it was doing it different from the Arnold version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Jay Dub posted:

Huh. Yeah, I guess he is.

I get what you mean, but I don't know that that necessarily applies to Fright Night. Sure, it cracks a Twilight joke here and there, but I never got the impression that it was some calculated ruse to swindle horror geeks out of money. If anything, Conan the Barbarian was more of a shameless cash grab on a popular title than Fright Night was.

I guess I'm just more annoyed at the marketing, obviously I haven't seen the movie so I can't really comment one way or the other on the actual content. Perhaps I'm just too easily put off by certain kinds of advertising.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nucular Carmul posted:

I guess I'm just more annoyed at the marketing, obviously I haven't seen the movie so I can't really comment one way or the other on the actual content. Perhaps I'm just too easily put off by certain kinds of advertising.

Suddenly I'm remembering the Bridge of Terabithia trailer.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Gyges posted:

I'd say that Conan was more of a what would happen if a Syfy movie got an actual budget type of thing. It's a lot like the occasional miniseries they make that has a couple actual actors and tries to be competent.

Conan almost went out of it's way to say it was doing it different from the Arnold version.

As a big D&D nerd I enjoyed Conan, but as someone with decent taste in movies I felt extremely self-conscious the whole time for enjoying it. All-in-all I should have just waited to red box it and watched it guilt-free.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
This week in Current Releases: Everything Sucks!

Made for some good reading though.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
Jeremy Piven.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I enjoyed Columbiana only because of Zoe Saldana.

The rest of the cast, especially Michael Vartan, was awful, but Saldana was so good as an action hero it overrode my 'get up and walk out' instincts.

That being said; the reviews this week were perfect for the poo poo that was just released.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Today I learned that you English call a garbage truck a bin lorry. So something good came out of One Day.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I'd like to apologize if I spoiled the ending of Suing the Devil for anyone.

If so, I'm also sorry that you're naive enough to believe that a Christian film would let the devil win.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jay Dub posted:

If so, I'm also sorry that you're naive enough to believe that a Christian film would let the devil win.

It's a complete cop out and horrible writing, but I actually am kind of impressed that they didn't just have Satan loose. That just strikes me as the usual end that would come from a Christian movie.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I remember 8 years ago, at the tender age of eleven, I wanted to do something cool to wrap up the summer.
Being eleven, that was thing was obviously going to see Spy Kids 3D with my mom. I loved the first two, and the commercials had some kids going THIS IS THE BEST SPY KIDS EVER so I figured it had to be good, no matter what the Boston Globe said. I remember going to the theater, taking the 3-D glasses, and watching, without a doubt, the worst movie I ever had my parents pay money for me to see. And I was a stupid loving kid. I loved the poo poo out of Max Keeble's Big Move. But this was just total poo poo. I walked out of that theater angry and on the verge of tears, because all I wanted was to see a cool movie before I had to go back to school.

And they took that from me.

And now, Professor Clumsy, you inherit a fraction of my suffering, for you did not go in with expectations.

vvv I was tired, okay?

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 29, 2011

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

And now, Vargo, you inherit a fraction of my suffering, for you did not go in with expectations.

Nor did I go into Spy Kids at all.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

My local theater hosed up the reels with Spy Kids 3D, so the movie was all out of order. Best part? It didn't change the plot of the film one loving bit.

They never put it the right way because they gave no fucks and no one noticed.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Jay Dub posted:

I would never have known the movie existed if you hadn't reviewed it.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
I think Suing the Devil should be given some credit to justify a Wikipedia editor writing this:

The Wikipedia Article posted:

Suing the Devil is an upcoming Christian comedy thriller film

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

My local theater hosed up the reels with Spy Kids 3D, so the movie was all out of order. Best part? It didn't change the plot of the film one loving bit.

They never put it the right way because they gave no fucks and no one noticed.

That happened with me and the movie Volcano. The second and third acts were switched and I didn't notice until they talked about blowing up that one building after they did it.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Way to get the site sued, assholes! Now Rick Lowtax is gonna have to shut this place down! :(

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Way to get the site sued, assholes! Now Rick Lowtax is gonna have to shut this place down! :(

I swear, I didn't know! I thought was perfectly legal to pay money to see a movie the day it was released, make fun of it in 1000 words and then publish it on the internet for the amusement of others! Honestly, I did!

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

And the heathens have been bitching that Current Releases wasn't funny enough for a comedy site...I hope they are laughing now!

Actually I am surprised it took so long for someone to get all 'sperggie about the reviews. I guess poking fun at Christians is always a surefire way to get a response.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I knew that Shark Night 3D was going to be crap when the commercials ended with "Rated PG-13," as such movies that should be rated R are wont to do. But that twist is mind-numbingly awful and would have brought it down even if it had the correct rating.

Necrocult
Oct 18, 2010

Form Fitting
I like the addition of Esq. to the names.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I appreciated the callout to the comic strip thread, Vargo.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Johnny Walker posted:

I appreciated the callout to the comic strip thread, Vargo.

I'm glad someone noticed.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Professor Clumsy, I was sure you were going to link this when you were talking about how a perfect ending can define a film.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

this

Oh man, that's hilarious. that saving private ryan one still has me laughing.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

quote:

Looks like I spoke too soon. "Condescending to its audience" were exactly the right words to use, just not in that context. It baffles and saddens me to no end that what we have here is a film that intends to empower women and then proceeds to treat them like idiots.
So in other words, exactly like Sex and the City? And not just the movies, the TV show as well.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
It begs the question: Is SJP actually capable of doing anything that isn't in some way a ripoff of Sex and the City?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Nucular Carmul posted:

It begs the question: Is SJP actually capable of doing anything that isn't in some way a ripoff of Sex and the City?

Galloping, cantoring, jumping fences.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Nucular Carmul posted:

Dressage and Sulky Pulling

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Just popped in to say that current releases is going from strength to strength and I'm really enjoying the quality, pace and wittiness of the reviews at the moment. That's all folks.... keep up the good work.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
About the "Brad Pitt throwing things" in the movie, it's in there because there's a scene in the book where Billy Beane threw a chair across the room when his scouting director drafted a high school pitcher in the first round, when his numbers showed that drafting high school pitchers was idiotic. And there's a reason there's so little baseball in Moneyball; Billy Beane himself doesn't watch the games anymore.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

CraigK posted:

And there's a reason there's so little baseball in Moneyball; Billy Beane himself doesn't watch the games anymore.

He doesn't watch the games in the film. I actually loved how that bit of character leaked into the film itself. Like I said, the movie isn't just about Billy's perspective, it literally IS Billy's perspective. Until he starts watching games, we don't see any baseball, except through TV screens. It's one of the best things about the movie.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I really liked Killer Elite as well, but when I went to see it there were only 5 people in the theater, my party being 3 of them. There's also been little talk about it in CineD, I don't know how it's doing so far but I hope it's not being ignored in the wake of Drive.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I liked Danny Reid's review, is he going to be a more frequent contributor or was that sort of an advertisement?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Nucular Carmul posted:

I liked Danny Reid's review, is he going to be a more frequent contributor or was that sort of an advertisement?

Just a neighbourly plug for his website.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Current Releases: Here to Help. :unsmith:

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Current Releases: Here to Help. :unsmith:

Helping you help him help us. It's the Circle of Promotions!

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Nucular Carmul posted:

I liked Danny Reid's review

Thanks!

Professor Clumsy posted:

Well, I appreciate it, and I'll happily write for you guys again (with or without plug), any time. If I'm ever apparently found.

Sheldrake fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 27, 2011

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Professor Clumsy posted:

I like that style better than some early SA front page updates where sometimes an article would just end with the writer plugging some random website without much more than a few lines about how they knew the guy or whatever, at least we got a taste of his work this way! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
A random thought occurs: what's the highest rating any of you have ever given a movie?

• Locked thread