Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Toast
Nov 4, 2005

Palleon posted:

You might like Mount and Blade: Warband. Doesn't have combat abilities, and the loot system isn't great, but you get to run around on a battlefield and hack and slash hundreds of people to death, especially if you install a mod like Blood and Steel.

This game is loving awesome, thank you. Gonna start my own kingdom and Joffrey the poo poo out of these peasants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Fiskenbob posted:

Sadly, they are only available for PC and I've got a Macbook. :(
Thanks anyway, though.
The first two Gabriel Knight games were released on Macintosh as well. No idea about backward compatibility as far as old Mac software goes, but there you have it. In any case, Dosbox is available on any platform, so you should be able to play the DOS versions of the first two just fine. I just replayed the first game and while it does have a couple of illogical puzzles, the story is still really cool.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

God Mode posted:

This game is loving awesome, thank you. Gonna start my own kingdom and Joffrey the poo poo out of these peasants.

Warband always makes me think of Game of Thrones. They are making a GoT game de out next year, but it's some RTS nonsense. They should make it exactly like Warband, instead.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I posted this in the Steam thread, but only one person could think of an old game with a similar mechanic and it wasn't what I was looking for:

quote:

So since shmups came up...

Is there a good game with completely deformable massive ship fights? What I mean is, and I could swear there used to be an arcade equivalent "back in the day" (the day before even 16-bit graphics) where it played like any other fly-by shooter of the time, but the bosses were special in that each shot basically took off a tiny piece of armor wherever it hit, so the battle was really a war of attrition, trying to put enough bullets into one part of the ship to clip a wing or whatever. I think you could even expose fuel tanks and armament for powerful explosions.

The game the poster suggested might be the one from my memory was Gorf, but I looked into it and I'm pretty sure (98%ish) that it wasn't it - the game I remember was more like 1942 in presentation.

Does anybody know of what game I speak, or ideally, a modern equivalent?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Warning Forever is the closest modern thing to that game I can think of, which still isn't very close at all I don't think.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

pw pw pw posted:

2D METROID ADVICE:

play super metroid

play zero mission

ignore fusion.

Also, if you liked the 2D Metroids, there's a fairly high chance you'll also like Aquaria.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

MMAgCh posted:

Warning Forever is the closest modern thing to that game I can think of, which still isn't very close at all I don't think.

Yeah, Warning Forever is the first thing that popped into my mind. It's only kinda close, but it's still a really fun little game and you should try it.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

MMAgCh posted:

Ashenai posted:

Yeah, Warning Forever is the first thing that popped into my mind. It's only kinda close, but it's still a really fun little game and you should try it.

That is pretty fun, thanks for the rec. Still not exactly what I was after, but it will do in a pinch.

Being free helps a lot, too.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

lDDQD posted:

Also, if you liked the 2D Metroids, there's a fairly high chance you'll also like Aquaria.

Related to Aquaria is Eternal Daughter (bottom of the page), a really good freeware Metroidvania also done by one of the two guys that made Aquaria.

TheJazzMess
Jan 14, 2008

by angerbeet
Can anyone recommend me some awesome, modern co-op games?

Here's some of the ones we've played: Magicka, Lost Planet 2, Borderlands, Saints Row 2.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

TheJazzMess posted:

Here's some of the ones we've played: Magicka, Lost Planet 2, Borderlands, Saints Row 2.

Killing Floor has been getting a lot of love, lately.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

TheJazzMess posted:

Army of 2, 40th Day is pretty fun. I've heard that 50 cent blood on the sand is actually fun, but haven't got a copy yet. Lara Croft: Guardian of Light and Trine are good co-op downloadable games. Portal 2. I'm always looking for good co-op games, so other people should keep posting them, especially couch co-op ps3 games.

Also check out http://www.co-optimus.com/index.php

modig fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 24, 2011

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
so, we're a group of 4-5 players and we're looking for a multiplayer coop game where we can sort of progress together and do/build stuff.

We've pretty much exhausted Terraria and Minecraft, done borderlands... played the poo poo out of coop team games like HoN, and we're just looking for a new fix. We've even done coop civilization, diablo II and stuff. Considered playing something like europa universalis, but can't be assed really :/

In can be any genre really, just has to be super fun and suck us all in. A game where all 4-5 of us could operate the same ship/tank/car etc. would be awesome, but as far as I know, no such game exists. Help a bro out :(

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Azmodaii posted:

so, we're a group of 4-5 players and we're looking for a multiplayer coop game where we can sort of progress together and do/build stuff.

We've pretty much exhausted Terraria and Minecraft, done borderlands... played the poo poo out of coop team games like HoN, and we're just looking for a new fix. We've even done coop civilization, diablo II and stuff. Considered playing something like europa universalis, but can't be assed really :/

In can be any genre really, just has to be super fun and suck us all in. A game where all 4-5 of us could operate the same ship/tank/car etc. would be awesome, but as far as I know, no such game exists. Help a bro out :(

Magicka. One of the best co-op gaming experiences you will have with your friends. Also you will hate each other a little too.

Keep an eye out for Borderlands 2, it's coming out soon.

E.Y.E is supposed to be somewhat in the same ball game, I guess, but I haven't played enough of it. It's co-op, but not just limited to you 4.

Also, :siren:to anyone needing to scratch that Diablo itch:siren:: Go buy Bastion on Steam, it's 10 bux and supports mouse control, keyboard control, and gamepads. You collect 10 weapons, you upgrade the poo poo out of them, you get stupid powerful, and when you feel like the game is too easy you can "pray" to gods in a Shrine that add bonuses to enemies for extra XP and cash gain. You will dump hours into this game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Get Bastion even if you don't want to scratch a Diablo itch. The game is fantastic, has an amazing narration, lots of gameplay, and just looks beautiful.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Azmodaii posted:

Alien Swarm is a 4-player coop game on Steam, and it's completely free! An MMO might also be a suggestion, since those are great fun to play with 4 other people. Even if you're not into traditional MMOs, Planetside might interest you.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
We played magicka and alien swarm as well, will give borderlands 2 a shot when it comes out I guess.

Wow, looks like we've played every single good coop game ever :P

will look out for e.y.e though. Thanks guys.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

TheJazzMess posted:

Resident Evil 5 is really loving fun. So is Dead Rising 2, although it is a very, very Japanese game mechanics-wise and that might put some people off. Portal 2's coop campaign is short but it's a blast while it lasts.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

I've been playing a lot of World of Tanks and Men of War, so I'm on a bit of a tanks kick right now. Are there any good tank simulators out there?

ed: I've played Arma, the Battlefield games, and Red Orchestra, which aren't really tank-focused, but fun.

Rob Rockley fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 26, 2011

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I've wanted to play an RPG as of late. I don't play RPGs much, and I don't really want something DARK AND GRITTY like Dragon Age supposedly is. I'd be more interested in something like Neverwinter Nights, or a JRPG that isn't Final Fantasy. Any suggestions? No specific platform, and it doesn't need to be really recent. (Though prferably not something really hard to find.)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Anatharon posted:

I've wanted to play an RPG as of late. I don't play RPGs much, and I don't really want something DARK AND GRITTY like Dragon Age supposedly is. I'd be more interested in something like Neverwinter Nights, or a JRPG that isn't Final Fantasy. Any suggestions? No specific platform, and it doesn't need to be really recent. (Though prferably not something really hard to find.)

You might want to check out the Shadow Hearts series (PS2) if you haven't already. They're an interesting combination of supernatural fantasy and historical fiction and don't really take themselves seriously. If you were to only get one, it should probably be the second (Shadow Hearts: Covenant), as it's probably the funniest and all-around best.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

You might want to check out the Shadow Hearts series (PS2) if you haven't already. They're an interesting combination of supernatural fantasy and historical fiction and don't really take themselves seriously. If you were to only get one, it should probably be the second (Shadow Hearts: Covenant), as it's probably the funniest and all-around best.

Hey, they even have Covenant at a local game store. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out tomorrow.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Nibbles the Shark posted:

I've been playing a lot of World of Tanks and Men of War, so I'm on a bit of a tanks kick right now. Are there any good tank simulators out there?

ed: I've played Arma, the Battlefield games, and Red Orchestra, which aren't really tank-focused, but fun.

Panzer Elite Action: Fields of Glory is a pretty enjoyable single-player tank game. But it's arcade not simulation - you basically drive like in Battlefield's tank levels but stretched into a whole game. It has an addon subtitled Dunes of War which adds an African capaign.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 29, 2011

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm looking for a tactical strategy game like X-Com and Jagged Alliance that I haven't played yet.
I've played X-Com, UFO Series, Jagged Alliance, Silent Storm Series, UFO:AI.

I don't think there are any other similar game left that I haven't played yet but I'll be really glad to be proven wrong.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Anatharon posted:

If you can play PAL Wii games then I strongly reccomend Xenoblade Chronicles. I thought I was totally burned out of RPGs in general when I got it, and then ended up playing it for 5 hours.

If you have a Wii but live in America then the Xenoblade megathread has a few easy guides on how to softmod your Wii so it can play PAL games.

As for PC, Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga is a bit difficult to start with, but it's stupidly fun, isn't DARK AND GRITTY like DA, and you can turn into a loving dragon.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jack Trades posted:

I'm looking for a tactical strategy game like X-Com and Jagged Alliance that I haven't played yet.

I don't think there are any other similar game left that I haven't played yet but I'll be really glad to be proven wrong.

Challange accepted: Frozen Synapse (not exactly but it will scratch the itch), Fallout Tactics, Laser Squad Nemesis, Soldiers at War, Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge (mediocre reviews), Operation Darkness (bad reviews), Star Sentinel Tactics (very very bad reviews), Valkyria Chronicles (stretching it but still counts)

I'm not listing portable games like Warhammer 40,000: Squad Command here.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Eggn0g posted:

As for PC, Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga is a bit difficult to start with, but it's stupidly fun, isn't DARK AND GRITTY like DA, and you can turn into a loving dragon.

Seconding this. Remember to get the Dragon Knight Saga, which includes the expansion as well as an improved version of the original game. If you're having trouble in the beginning, use bows.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Jack Trades posted:

Try Incubation: Time Is Running Out, available as part of the Battle Isle collection at http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/battle_isle_platinum . It's early 3D so it looks a bit rough, but it's a lot of fun. Some levels are more like puzzles, but generally it plays a lot like X-Com tactical screen, and it's a lot of fun.

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/27642/Incubation+-+Time+is+Running+Out.html

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Anatharon posted:

If you enjoyed the original Neverwinter Nights 2 campaign, you will love Dragon Age. It's basically Neverwinter Nights 3 in everything except setting.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you enjoyed the original Neverwinter Nights 2 campaign, you will love Dragon Age. It's basically Neverwinter Nights 3 in everything except setting.

Yeah, Dragon Age's "dark grittiness" was highly exaggerated in marketing for the game. It's definitely the most solid RPG of its kind in a long while. Avoid Dragon Age II.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

In that case I'm some kind of freak of nature because Neverwinter Night 1-2 are one of my favorite games while I didn't really like Dragon Age.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm genuinely curious as to why. I was always confused as to why people always compared Dragon Age to Baldur's Gate because the gameplay, dialogue, party systems, and most of the combat was just an improved version of Neverwinter Nights 2. I'm one of the people that actually liked the original Neverwinter Nights 2 campaign and didn't see the big deal with Mask of the Betrayer, for the record. I liked it, of course, but didn't feel it was significantly better than the OC. I never actually finished it because my non min/maxed character was so godly that the game stopped being fun because it was too easy.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 29, 2011

Red Octopus!!
Oct 27, 2010

by Fistgrrl
I've been looking for a good arcade racer after playing Wipeout HD. I was considering F1 2011 and Dirt 3. I just wanted to know, however, if there's online leaderboards for time trials, because I love racing against time in racers, especially among friends. I just hope it's a bit more forgiving than GT5; there's more details than I can manage with in GT5...

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
At least based on F1 2010, it's not that much of an arcade game. By which I mean, sure, there are options you can turn down to turn the game into essentially a rails racer (literally as easy as being on a sightseeing tour of a circuit), but the game is horrible when played like this. To get the most out of it you would want to be a fan of the sport, able to turn up the difficulty and play lengthy (30 minute+) races in career mode. That's when it shined and demonstrated that it was a good racer.

That said, it does feature ghosts and time trials and all that.

I don't think this year's version will be much different, unless they do what I kind of hope they do and split it down the middle offering arcade and (even more) simulation experiences.

If you have a 360 I would go for PGR 4, or if you play GT then the Forza games will suit you well, it can play as arcade as you want it to, whilst still offering tons of depth (you will never tune and race every car).

Chaz GELF
Mar 22, 2009

Mostly Harmless
I'm looking for a strategy game, preferably turn-based, with at some focus on obtaining and defending buildings or territories, kind of like Diplomacy or the city-capturing aspect of Advance Wars.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a war game, either. I like the premise of Monopoly for instance (Gaining properties and profiting from holding onto them).

It's kind of a vague description of what I'm looking for, I know, but it's kinda hard to describe what exactly I'm looking for (Other than "I want to scratch that land-grabbing itch"), and I'm willing to try various games at least once.

Chaz GELF fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 3, 2011

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Chaz GELF posted:

I'm looking for a strategy game, preferably turn-based, with at some focus on obtaining and defending buildings or territories, kind of like Diplomacy or the city-capturing aspect of Advance Wars.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a war game, either. I like the premise of Monopoly for instance (Gaining properties and profiting from holding onto them).

It's kind of a vague description of what I'm looking for, I know, but it's kinda hard to describe what exactly I'm looking for (Other than "I want to scratch that land-grabbing itch"), and I'm willing to try various games at least once.

It's probably a stupid question, but have you played Civilization?

Chaz GELF
Mar 22, 2009

Mostly Harmless

Manos del Sino posted:

It's probably a stupid question, but have you played Civilization?

I have indeed! I've got Civ III, IV and V on my Steam account, though only III is installed at the moment. I definitely need to give it a better shot, maybe I just didn't spend enough time getting the hang of it. I kinda end up getting lost by the time I have a bunch of cities, because I end up having problems keeping them all happy. I'm looking for something with a little less micromanagement of territory (More like taking chunks of land and claiming them for myself than trying to build as many towns as possible on that land) but thanks for the suggestion all the same!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Pretty broad request here, what's the best AAA title besides Deus Ex: Human Revolution (already played it to death) to have been released in the past few months? Relenting to goon opinion because like all angsty goon gamers I tend to think a select few AAA titles are absolute garbage.
I'd primarily like something singleplayer with decent length and that doesn't treat the player like a retard who needs to have his hand held (I know that's a pretty difficult thing to request for a AAA game).
I'm talking fresh out of the oven, still sixty buckaroos here.

Any genre besides sports, because I have a friend who buys nearly every major sports title a microsecond after their release so I'm not spending any money on those.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Chaz GELF posted:

I have indeed! I've got Civ III, IV and V on my Steam account, though only III is installed at the moment. I definitely need to give it a better shot, maybe I just didn't spend enough time getting the hang of it. I kinda end up getting lost by the time I have a bunch of cities

Well if you have Civ III installed and not IV or V that's your first mistake right there :) It's the runt of the litter. Civ IV polished the game concepts up to perfection and offered some innovations of its own, and the tutorial and in-game guides are excellent. Civ V again with the polishing and adapting and much more attractive if your PC can handle it. Civ II is purer than both and possibly a little less complicated if you're after less.

You could try Colonization, forerunner to Civ II, which is quite literally about land grabbing and exploitation, pure and simple. But you can play it with only a few settlements, and the micro management is way less complicated (but no less charming in the end result). There's a remake in the Civ IV engine if you like it bang up to date (also, this would give you your 'chunks of land' since it features expanding territory borders).

There's quite a few games that fit your description really. Things like Jagged Alliance 2 spring to mind, since you go about capturing and defending towns, for profit or glory, though that's a mix of real time and turn based combat, with 1:1 unit control, and does have a lot of micro-management in the mix. If you like the premise of Monopoly, maybe look up Monopoly Tycoon. It's a bit aged but gives an interesting twist to the board game (not turn based however).

For the city capturing aspect of Advance Wars, and directly (I think) inspired by Diplomacy, if you don't have a problem with regression then there's always Panzer General. Panzer General Forever is a recent and excellent free fan remake and there's also Panzer Corps, a modern update of the formula, worked on by the same person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Chaz GELF posted:

I have indeed! I've got Civ III, IV and V on my Steam account, though only III is installed at the moment. I definitely need to give it a better shot, maybe I just didn't spend enough time getting the hang of it. I kinda end up getting lost by the time I have a bunch of cities, because I end up having problems keeping them all happy. I'm looking for something with a little less micromanagement of territory (More like taking chunks of land and claiming them for myself than trying to build as many towns as possible on that land) but thanks for the suggestion all the same!

Have you played any of the Heroes of Might & Magic games? They're turn-based and involve moving your heroes and their armies across the map capturing cities and resource points, but cities don't really require much micromanagement other than upgrading buildings and keeping them garrisoned. The gameplay of the series has always felt to me like the perfect blend of breezy yet involving.

JebanyPedal posted:

Pretty broad request here, what's the best AAA title besides Deus Ex: Human Revolution (already played it to death) to have been released in the past few months? Relenting to goon opinion because like all angsty goon gamers I tend to think a select few AAA titles are absolute garbage.
I'd primarily like something singleplayer with decent length and that doesn't treat the player like a retard who needs to have his hand held (I know that's a pretty difficult thing to request for a AAA game).
I'm talking fresh out of the oven, still sixty buckaroos here.

Any genre besides sports, because I have a friend who buys nearly every major sports title a microsecond after their release so I'm not spending any money on those.

If you have a gaming-quality PC I'd recommend The Witcher 2. It's an action RPG similar in length and scope to Deus Ex, and it's somewhat notorious for it's lack of tutorializing. It has absolutely fantastic character, atmosphere, and is possibly the current graphical high-water mark in gaming. Also, it's story is mature both in content and in that it treats you like an adult and expects you to pay attention.

Still my current RPG of the Year, even over Deus Ex.

FuriousGeorge fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 3, 2011