Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Enter Ye Myne Mystic World of Gayng-Raype: What the “R” Stands for in “George R.R. Martin”
http://tigerbeatdown.com/2011/08/26/enter-ye-myne-mystic-world-of-gayng-raype-what-the-r-stands-for-in-george-r-r-martin/

quote:

Sansa’s entire plot, from this point forward, will consist of an ongoing competition to molest Sansa, in which every male character in her immediate vicinity will participate. Ha ha, serves you right for being such a girl, Sansa!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

soru posted:

Are you trolling or do you actually believe this? Because that's a really stupid opinion.

Counterpoint: GRRM has admitted that he's gotten fuzzy on certain counts and has had to turn to some fans to help keep him from contradicting himself.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

xamphear posted:

Enter Ye Myne Mystic World of Gayng-Raype: What the “R” Stands for in “George R.R. Martin”
http://tigerbeatdown.com/2011/08/26/enter-ye-myne-mystic-world-of-gayng-raype-what-the-r-stands-for-in-george-r-r-martin/

quote:

A NOTE ON ARRANGED MARRIAGE and CHILDREN: Yes, it’s true; in Ye Olde Medieval Europe, female tweens were oft wed to the grown-ups. A Song of Ice and Fire is known for being “gritty” and “authentic,” so really, aren’t I just objecting to the realism? Reader, here are the things that George R. R. Martin changed about Ye Olde Medieval Europe, when he set out to write A Song of Ice and Fire: Religion. Geography. History. Politics. Zombies. Werewolves. Dragons. At one point, when asked why his characters were taller, healthier, and longer-lived than actual Medieval people, George R. R. Martin explained that human genetics and biology do not work the same way in Westeros as they do in the real world. So George R. R. Martin considered that he could change all of that while maintaining “authenticity.” Here’s what he left in, however: Institutionalized pedophilia. So:

He makes up the story any way he wants but he didn't make everything nice and happy! He's mean! to his characters!

Also the religion, geography, history, politics, zombies, and werewolves are all fairly uniquely handled and just as more horrible than they would be in the real world. I mean, it's not like he softened politics or history and Dany's dragons aren't magic happy time fun dragons, they eat children. That they've roasted alive. It's not like "fantasy dragon land" is all fun and games except for the rape, it sucks in every other conceivable way, too.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

Habibi posted:

Counterpoint: GRRM has admitted that he's gotten fuzzy on certain counts and has had to turn to some fans to help keep him from contradicting himself.

I've heard him say this about eye color. Did he say it about plot somewhere that I missed?

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Ambiguatron posted:

He makes up the story any way he wants but he didn't make everything nice and happy! He's mean! to his characters!

Also the religion, geography, history, politics, zombies, and werewolves are all fairly uniquely handled and just as more horrible than they would be in the real world. I mean, it's not like he softened politics or history and Dany's dragons aren't magic happy time fun dragons, they eat children. That they've roasted alive. It's not like "fantasy dragon land" is all fun and games except for the rape, it sucks in every other conceivable way, too.
I don't know why the subject of sleeping with younger girls is such an awful taboo for readers. Many, many societies have approved of it in many, many different periods of history. It's probably rarer in fiction than it's ever been in real history.

Just because a writer has their made-up society endorse sex with children doesn't mean they are encouraging pedophilia or a pedophile themselves.

If you want to have a fictional society (or just one character) that expresses violent racism, you might have a character string up a black man while saying vicious things about his race. Does it make you a racist because you can bear to type it? Do writers "relish" the writing of these scenes? I think very few do. You can change racism and pedophilia to anything that modern society doesn't approve of. If these books were written 100 years ago, the homosexuality would cause more of a stir than anything.

In any case I can't think of one instance where an underage character was involved in anything sexual "on-screen", other than being groped. If I recall correctly, even when Reek is told to lick Jeyne Whatsherface, the chapter ends before it actually happens. The books are remarkably tame in this regard. A lot of stuff is implied, and people react to the implied moments but you're not actually reading graphic descriptions of 13 year olds having sex. I'm pretty sure that's left to shittier fantasy writers than GRRM.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

syndex posted:

His uncle Gerion, I believe, taught him. The one who set off to Valyria in search of some sword.

He took the ancestral Lannister Valyrian sword with him across the Narrow Sea, and he's been missing ever since. Im sure he'll pop up though, he's been mentioned at least once a book. Maybe Gerion is ColdHands?

VVVV Bittersteel is the Blackfyre sword. I think its with the Golden Company. Their motto is something like "beneath the gold, the Bittersteel."VVVV

KillRoy fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 27, 2011

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

KillRoy posted:

He took the ancestral Lannister Valyrian sword with him across the Narrow Sea, and he's been missing ever since. Im sure he'll pop up though, he's been mentioned at least once a book. Maybe Gerion is ColdHands?
You think each Dargonrider will get a special Sword of Other-Slaying? Jon already has one, Tyrion could get the Lannister one, and isn't there some Blackfyre sword that gets mentioned a lot? Dany gets that one.

Bran isn't really going to be a dragon rider so he just gives a painted sword to Hodor and makes him fight wights all day long while sitting in the Cave of Boredom.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Dragon riders are Dany Aegon and Pretty Pig next topic please.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

Ross posted:

Dragon riders are Dany Aegon and Pretty Pig next topic please.

What if Martin totally flips the fantasy script again and the dragons ride people?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

soru posted:

Are you trolling or do you actually believe this? Because that's a really stupid opinion.

Blind faith that gurm has a clue at this point is a pretty stupid extreme as well.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Fog Tripper posted:

Blind faith that gurm has a clue at this point is a pretty stupid extreme as well.

Why is it blind faith? Some of us actually like the last two books, you know.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Eggnogium posted:

Why is it blind faith? Some of us actually like the last two books, you know.

Yeah, some people actually finished reading them too.

I thought Gerion went to Valyria to retrieve the Lannister ancestral sword.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Fog Tripper posted:

GRRM's diatribes on the Lost and BSG endings gave me some hope. They indicate to me that he understands how not to end a sprawling series.

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 27, 2011

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

bigmcgaffney posted:

Oh yeah, he did.

Well, either way he's got it because anything mentioned more than twice is important.

Tyrion gets a sword as big as he is, gets a dragon, will marry Sansa when she realizes that he's the best character aside from Victarion (who will marry Arya after she wargs into a kraken)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fog Tripper posted:

GRRM may not have a clue on lots of things, but one of the great things about this series are the small things that payoff several books later. He has issues tieing up plot threads, but he's god drat amazing at all the side comments and observations that you can piece together to make up the world of Westeros. The little details are where he thrives.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
George RR Martin is a very good writer, one of the very best in the genre, and the only thing that could stop this series ending amazingly is his quite atrocious health beating him to the ending.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Quantify! posted:

The Faceless Men are either for/against the dragons returning.

The Maesters are against it.

So either way the Faceless Men are there to find out what the Maesters are plotting.

Theory: with Pycelle dead, the Citadel has to elect (or however it works) a new GrandMaester. Guess whose identity Pate/Jaqen will take next...

Rosscifer posted:

GRRM's diatribes on the Lost and BSG endings gave me some hope. They indicate to me that he understands how not to end a sprawling series.

He also already knows already how it is going to end. The problem now is how to write all the characters to that ending. I have quite some confidence in it being a good ending, especially the bittersweet part of it he hinted at.

OperaMouse fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 27, 2011

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009
Well last time the Others popped up did they gently caress up the whole world or just Westeros? I think the bittersweet ending might be Westeros getting destroyed.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

oogyboogs posted:

Well last time the Others popped up did they gently caress up the whole world or just Westeros? I think the bittersweet ending might be Westeros getting destroyed.
I assume it's a Westeros-only phenom since the Children of the Forest and the Wall are both only in Westeros.

I've been reading about European history and the Little Ice Age and I have to wonder if that was part of the inspiration for the series. Probably!

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

That's something I've been wondering about. The red priests and their religion are primarily based in the east, but one of their main goals is to defeat the others, who seem to be a Westeros problem.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

bigmcgaffney posted:

Oh, I'm slowly getting there.
It's not a matter of liking them or not. Telling someone that it is a "stupid opinion" for suspecting that gurm doesn't have at least a general outline for the series is simple fanboism. The series has grown disjointed IMHO since the first 3, expanding into irrelevant/unnecessary directions.

Update: Just finished the Manderly/Glover/Onion Knight chapter, and it pleases me. Not that I give two poops what/where Rickon has been for the past couple books.

Thoguh posted:

GRRM may not have a clue on lots of things, but one of the great things about this series are the small things that payoff several books later. He has issues tieing up plot threads, but he's god drat amazing at all the side comments and observations that you can piece together to make up the world of Westeros. The little details are where he thrives.

I kind of agree with you. That said, I wonder if over the past decade he saw all of us sperging about R+L=J and such and chooses to take them in a different direction just to gently caress with us. The little details that lead to conspiracies are great fun, as long as he doesn't yank the carpet from under them.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 27, 2011

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Fog Tripper posted:

I kind of agree with you. That said, I wonder if over the past decade he saw all of us sperging about R+L=J and such and chooses to take them in a different direction just to gently caress with us. The little details that lead to conspiracies are great fun, as long as he doesn't yank the carpet from under them.

GRRM himself said in some google interview/Q&A session that he avoids reading theories and whatnot for just that reason: he doesn't want them to affect his direction for the story. Now as to whether or not you believe him.... who knows?

I doubt that he's going to change something that drasticly about the story just based on hearing that someone "figured it out" before he revealed it in the books. He stated that even though he avoids messageboards and the like, he does get people who come up to him and whisper theories in his ear at book signings and conventions. He even joked in the google interview that he could have aliens come down from space and kill everybody and that would certainly suprise the readers but would also ruin the story he's trying to tell.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

OperaMouse posted:

Theory: with Pycelle dead, the Citadel has to elect (or however it works) a new GrandMaester. Guess whose identity Pate/Jaqen will take next...

He also already knows already how it is going to end. The problem now is how to write all the characters to that ending. I have quite some confidence in it being a good ending, especially the bittersweet part of it he hinted at.

Yes, if I remember right, one of the consolations the producers of the show got from him was he had to share with them the major aspects of how the story will end, so they had (1) something to build towards with the character development within and over multiple seasons and (2) a safeguard against GRRM kicking the bucket before the books are finished, leaving the series in limbo.

So he does for sure have an end in sight.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
maybe the dragon will end up having seven heads rather than three, because the prophecy grew in the fulfillment.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Junkenstein posted:

That's something I've been wondering about. The red priests and their religion are primarily based in the east, but one of their main goals is to defeat the others, who seem to be a Westeros problem.

Well, technically they fight against that other god, and the Others merely seem to be agents of that god.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Fog Tripper posted:

Telling someone that it is a "stupid opinion" for suspecting that gurm doesn't have at least a general outline for the series is simple fanboism.
No it's assuming that he has an outline for the series, which he has said he does. It's also pretty evident in how stuff pays off 2-3 books later that he has a lot of this worked out in advance. You can't foreshadow something effectively if you don't know you're going to put it in later.

Assuming a writer knows how to write is not being a "fanboy". The fact that you would even use that term is telling. I don't view these books as the kind of pop media that has "fanboys". The books have artistic merit. They're real stories.

Books going down dead-end roads is a sign of a sloppy editor more than a sloppy writer. Rowling had the same problem in her later books as well. She also wrote with an outline, and the Harry Potter series as a whole holds together remarkably well.

A guy who wrote an epic series without an outline? Stephen King. And even his biggest fans will tell you that the Dark Tower series varies widely in tone.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Martin Van Buren posted:

maybe the dragon will end up having seven heads rather than three, because the prophecy grew in the fulfillment.

HEY THIS IS ONLY HALF A DRAGON WTF

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

At this point, I'm rooting for the Others. They're dicks but they have a game plan: eat the poo poo out of everyone and get through the Wall. What have the red priests doing? Besides being sexy (Melisandre) and giving guys burned up hands? GRRM has stacked the odds so high against the humans that they will have to lose.

Speaking of Melisandre, does anyone else get the vibe that her appearance is just a glamour? I feel like she really looks like some sort of burned, wretched monster. Kind of like Victarion's hand.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

I don't think the Others are a Westeros only problem, it's just that nowhere else we have any insight into remembers them; Westeros barely remembers them.

Has anyone outside the Nightwatch, the red priests, the wildlings and Old Nan even acknowledged them? Maybe Valeria knew all about them, but Valeria is gone. The Dothraki have done a great job of destroying anyone who might remember in that part of the world. The warlocks of Quarth might be up on them, but they're clearly huge assholes. Does Dany's shadowbinder ever allude to them?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

the talent deficit posted:

I don't think the Others are a Westeros only problem, it's just that nowhere else we have any insight into remembers them; Westeros barely remembers them.

Has anyone outside the Nightwatch, the red priests, the wildlings and Old Nan even acknowledged them? Maybe Valeria knew all about them, but Valeria is gone. The Dothraki have done a great job of destroying anyone who might remember in that part of the world. The warlocks of Quarth might be up on them, but they're clearly huge assholes. Does Dany's shadowbinder ever allude to them?

We also haven't run into any other place that has a frozen north.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Whenever I reread the novels, I can't help but imagine Cersei Lannister to look and act exactly like Nancy Grace.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

JerkyBunion posted:

We also haven't run into any other place that has a frozen north.

There's Ibben which is a decent-sized island north of Braavos, but all we know about it is that (1) it's pretty cold (2) the Ibbenese are great sailors (3) the Ibbenese are extremely hairy.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

There's Ibben which is a decent-sized island...

Pretty sure Westeros is the only contiguous land mass with a frozen north.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

NihilCredo posted:

There's Ibben which is a decent-sized island north of Braavos, but all we know about it is that (1) it's pretty cold (2) the Ibbenese are great sailors (3) the Ibbenese are extremely hairy.
I hope eventually we see more of the world, even if it's in some sort of montage chapter where Dany flies Drogon all over the world like in The Neverending Story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbrIjyxzmhM&t=20s

variegated
Mar 17, 2006
pretty princess

Oxford Comma posted:

Whenever I reread the novels, I can't help but imagine Cersei Lannister to look and act exactly like Nancy Grace.

Nancy Grace loving her brother was never something I wanted to think about, thanks. Nancy Grace loving anything is pretty well out of bounds.

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009
Writing an outline and getting to its ending are two completely different things. He might have an idea where he wants to go or what he wants to do, does not mean he will remain faithful to that outline at all.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

Writing an outline and getting to its ending are two completely different things. He might have an idea where he wants to go or what he wants to do, does not mean he will remain faithful to that outline at all.
I will write those words on my heart.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Just finished ADwD. I'm in that group that started reading around the time the HBO series was announced so I haven't been waiting 5 years between books for the last couple. I think ADwD was good but maybe somewhere on the level of ACoK in that it just sets more things up without enough resolutions to balance them. That's fine in the second book but not so much in the fifth. I wanted Dany out of Meeren and more resolution with Stannis.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

xamphear posted:

I hate people who write like that.

Also this thread has died it's depressing. We all agree the book sucked rear end but we can't go buck wild about it like we could have in the thread that may not be mentioned, so it's just depressing and sobering that we waited so long for this, and we don't even get to go ape-poo poo about it and act all stupid to cheer each other up.

Umph fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
We don't all agree it sucked rear end, a number of us quite enjoyed it actually.