Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Sole.Sushi posted:

Looks good, but I'm wondering if more light on your models might help the photos out a bit? I mean you could go hog wild and do a light box, but taking photos outside would likely work just fine.

In all seriousness though, I take some pretty lovely photos even with a light box, so there's that. :negative:

lovely pictures bro represent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sole.Sushi posted:

I shade pretty heavily with Leviathan Purple. :heysexy:

I always finish my models by glopping on some 'ardcoat. :heysexy:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Eww, what the gently caress is wrong with you, man!?

Matte that poo poo afterwards.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I leave you guys alone for a day and this is where we end up.

I was feeling pretty put out by my stupid fat harlequins and their goofy paint job, so I took a break to tinker with my Talon. I'm feeling pretty good about this as my army scheme:

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Ugh. I'll post pictures soon, but right now I'm at a barefoot bar so my description will have to do.

I'm wrapping up a set of 4 Lootas & 4 Burna Boys. They've been completely painted except edge highlighting and a bit of cleanup. The primary color scheme is dark clothes and yellow or red weapons. Problem is, they look really muddy. They looked fine until I washed them in Devlan Mud and/or Badab Black. Will this dark, dirty look be lessened when I edge highlight? Should I do something else?

Oh, I'm pretty new at this.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
There's a special place in hell reserved for me.

Made a start on Agnes McSlut, the grenade launcher and the "wet" whites need still some work yet though, and I'll probably lighten the skin a bit more too. Now I just need to go and explain to the better half what I've actually been painting for the last couple of hours.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Yeah OK I withdraw my question.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I've been making terrain the last few weeks, and decided to make something, uh.. unique for a piece of impassable terrain.

I built a Squig pit that holds a giant face-biter squig, and as a bonus I sculpted up a giant squig so he could be either in or out of the terrain. My son and I have come up with some fun scenarios, but haven't tried any yet.

At the very least I have an interesting piece of terrain for my board and a new model for Apoc.

Here's the pit

here's Fido

And lastly, Fido in the pit!

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.
One hell of a squig, one cool dad.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

malal posted:

I've been making terrain the last few weeks, and decided to make something, uh.. unique for a piece of impassable terrain.

I built a Squig pit that holds a giant face-biter squig, and as a bonus I sculpted up a giant squig so he could be either in or out of the terrain. My son and I have come up with some fun scenarios, but haven't tried any yet.

At the very least I have an interesting piece of terrain for my board and a new model for Apoc.

Here's the pit

here's Fido

And lastly, Fido in the pit!

I want to be a cool dad like you.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

richyp, that is a really well painted miniature. I am not going to ask how long you spent lovingly wet-blending her panties, and basically you should feel bad about who you are as a person? No seriously, really good job even if its a fanservice miniature

Also that squig is cool as gently caress. I am not as cool a dad.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Well poo poo, now I feel like a tool following that squig pen up with this thing.

Converted from a Megamind happy meal toy, I call it the Tin Woodsman.
The white toothpaste-looking gunk is spackle, it's still wet
I'm leaving the cockpit modular so that I can use it as a mechanical walker instead of a robot.

The head is 3/4" outer diameter PVC pipe, 1mm plasticard, .25mm plasticard, hot glue, a pair of machine screws, a plastic toy bottlecap, a cut down chess piece and an analog stick cover from a broken Dreamcast controller. The eyes are lit by a small LED.

The axe is 3 pieces of 1mm plasticard cut to shape, laminated together and sanded, with the riveted straps made from .25mm plasticard and hot glue for rivets. The handle is a length of bamboo skewer, with .25mm plasticard wrapped around the bottom for a hilt and a small bead glued to the end.

The shield is an old Sam's Club membership card heated with a flat iron and bent into shape, with strips from the card as reinforcements, .25mm plasticard with rivets embossed from behind with a scribing tool for detail and a kneadatite skull sculpted on front. The straps are also .25mm plasticard.

The electric generator is a gun from a dollar store humvee with random bits and bobs added to bulk it out and make it look kinda whacked out and crazy. The red parts are 18ga coated solid core wire and the little metal gears on the front and back of the body are from my electronics salvage bits box, and I have absolutely no idea where they came from. The flag is a length of bamboo skewer with .25mm plasticard cut into shape, glued and curled to make the whipping effect.

I'll post finished photos when I paint him.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Silhouette posted:

Well poo poo, now I feel like a tool following that squig pen up with this thing.

Dont, that thing is cool as gently caress! I'm thinking of getting into lighting effects for terrain, not sure where to start though.

I think its as much My son as me, haha. I feel like I won the kid lottery, I have no idea what I would do with a non-nerd son.

If yall don't mind me gushing for a sec, here's the scout he painted whil I was painting the squig. He's only just started painting seriously, he has two full tactical squads painted. this was his first scout, and he loves the figure so he spent a good deal of time on it! As a bonus he painted him to match our new terrain, so they really blend in, bright red sniper notwithstanding.

Its a little tricky for him to paint, in addition to attention problems he also has some fine motor skill issues. doc says painting is great for that, and I have noticed an improvement even if its my imagination!

Plus he lets me practice makeup on him. This was done for the "smilies in real life" thread.

Alrighty, enough dad stuff. I dont mean to clog the thread with it, It's just been a super awesome weekend for warhammer at the house!

Reubenesque Sandwich fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 29, 2011

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What the HELL happened to his wrist. I was going to write it off as the makeup thing but then I noticed it seems there is an actual chunk missing from his wrist.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

What the HELL happened to his wrist. I was going to write it off as the makeup thing but then I noticed it seems there is an actual chunk missing from his wrist.

Good make up. But I think that's just a razor stuck in there.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
T-5 days. We gave the board a basic coat of dark brown, so now it looks horribly depressing:

I finished the normal roofs, and gave them a first coat of, guess it, dark brown:

Tonight will feature hours and hours of drybrushing browns.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait to see that board finished, lilljonas. It's gonna be awesome looking.

Crossposting my Infinity stuff here:

First time painting a face and I just had to pick something way smaller than a space marine's head. This was a pain in the rear end and I'm glad I only have uh, 4 more faces left :suicide:

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Angryboot posted:

Can't wait to see that board finished, lilljonas. It's gonna be awesome looking.

First time painting a face and I just had to pick something way smaller than a space marine's head. This was a pain in the rear end and I'm glad I only have uh, 4 more faces left :suicide:

Do Infinity models ship with clear bases?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Nah they come with slotted bases; I stuck mine on clear because I hate basing them.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

They look good and I like the clear bases. Were I not about 3000 points into an urban theme for my Space Marines, I'd seriously consider that.

Also, does the dude in armour remind anyone else of the Master Chief?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ashcans posted:

richyp, that is a really well painted miniature. I am not going to ask how long you spent lovingly wet-blending her panties, and basically you should feel bad about who you are as a person?
His wife'd prefer he wet-blended her for hours :v:

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

It's just makeup, I promise. no actual children were harmed in the process. I'll take the compliment though, it is what I do for a living!

here's a close up.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

malal posted:

It's just makeup, I promise. no actual children were harmed in the process. I'll take the compliment though, it is what I do for a living!

here's a close up.

Still looks too realistic for comfort. Good job! What exactly do you do?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Pierzak posted:

His wife'd prefer he wet-blended her for hours :v:

My mistress has taken too high a priority for Mrs P to get a look in...

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

Still looks too realistic for comfort. Good job! What exactly do you do?

I do special effects make-up for lower budget horror/sci-fi movies. I just signed on with a new production company as a production designer though, and their long term plans are to start making higher budget stuff. Here's hoping I work on something that gets into an actual movie theatre one day, and not just the Sy-Fy channel!

From painted panties to gore, this thread has everything!

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I got the Vallejo liquid gold paints - has anyone used them before? I'm having trouble with the fact that shaking them doesn't help with the fact all the actual paint is at the bottom. I keep having to mush the end of my paint brush in their each time, but I'm wasting loads each time I do.

Also any tips on when to use matte/gloss/glazing mediums? I need to stop being such a gadget freak and buying stuff before I learn to use everything I've got :ohnoes:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

malal posted:

here's a close up.

Oh nevermind, the previous photo was kinda low quality so I thought there was a sorta u-shaped chunk missing from the top of the wrist in the picture, which was obscured by the "razor blade". That looks more normal.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I picked up a Rackham figure this weekend!

It's made of lead! :ohdear:

How the hell do I work with it in a way that avoids giving myself lead poisoning, leaving me dragging my painting desk across the arctic tundra and dying of exposure?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Angryboot posted:

What's Master Chief's stats?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I picked up a Rackham figure this weekend!

It's made of lead! :ohdear:

How the hell do I work with it in a way that avoids giving myself lead poisoning, leaving me dragging my painting desk across the arctic tundra and dying of exposure?

Resist the overwhelming desire to pop it in your mouth or lick it and wash your hands after handling it.

Really just wash your hands after and be concious about where you put your hands before you wash them (ie rubbing your eyes). But don't worry too much, it's just lead, not uranium.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

If you're just planning to clean and paint them, it's not big deal. Just be sensible, don't clean mold lines over your food, wash up afterward, etc. If you are planning on dremeling the poo poo out of it or something, then you might want to wear a simple breathing mask and be careful to clean any dust from your work area.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Mr. Bastard said it best: don't stick it in your mouth or touch it to any mucus membranes (your eyes, inside your nose, your tongue... The anus... :v:). Also, wear some disposable gloves to help remind you what's what; it's easy to forget and you pick up your drinking glass by the rim, but with gloves you have a constant reminder of "oh right, my hands should touch as little as possible." Still wash your hands afterwards, and perhaps your paintbrush handles as well, maybe your workspace if you are really paranoid.

And, finally, do not attempt to alter your model in any way, shape or form that makes particulates, such as drilling, filing, sanding or cutting using a serrated edge. Dust can and will get everywhere: your hair, your clothes, the carpet, on top of your dresser in your bedroom, so on. If you need to do any of the above things (such as cleaning mold lines), for your own safety, do it outside with a filter mask on.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You'd have to eat the entire figure to get enough lead into your system to even mildly harm yourself. Dont worry about it too much.

I did this today. Best I can photograph it right now, It just wont show up correctly on a white background. Any tips?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Use a dark grey backdrop. Looks like you did a good job there.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Jesus loving christ scourges are so gorgeous, it gets me every goddamn time.

I really like the job on the wings, the fade is awesome.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
The Imperial Guard have this light shade of green used for their edge highlighting. Does anyone have any idea on how I can achieve this?

Like these guys:
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2530058_99120105039_IGCadianShockTroops_873x627.jpg

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Torabi posted:

The Imperial Guard have this light shade of green used for their edge highlighting. Does anyone have any idea on how I can achieve this?

Like these guys:
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2530058_99120105039_IGCadianShockTroops_873x627.jpg

Here you go. That shows all the colors they used. Just ignore the advice about the spray gun.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

crime fighting hog posted:

What's Master Chief's stats?

Not sure what exactly you're asking; here's the entry for the army list on that unit:

JANISSARY AP Rifle + Light Shotgun / Pistol, CCW (45)
MOV:4-2 CC:15 BS:13 PH:14 WIP:14 ARM:4 BTS:-3 W:2
Regular, Not Impetuous, No Cube
Religious Troop

45 Points | SWC: 0

I didn't even notice the master chief thing until after I finished; at the time I was just kinda going huh guess I'll go green on the armor parts and hey gold goes with green doesn't it oh huh I made a master chief.

Bhyo posted:

I did this today. Best I can photograph it right now, It just wont show up correctly on a white background. Any tips?

Awesome as usual, Bhyo; but yeah I'd either go grey like what Fix said or go that same shade of light blue but without the reflecting surface.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Angryboot posted:

Not sure what exactly you're asking; here's the entry for the army list on that unit:

JANISSARY AP Rifle + Light Shotgun / Pistol, CCW (45)
MOV:4-2 CC:15 BS:13 PH:14 WIP:14 ARM:4 BTS:-3 W:2
Regular, Not Impetuous, No Cube
Religious Troop

45 Points | SWC: 0

I didn't even notice the master chief thing until after I finished; at the time I was just kinda going huh guess I'll go green on the armor parts and hey gold goes with green doesn't it oh huh I made a master chief.

I'm just poking fun, dude. It looks good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You... fun poker!

• Locked thread