Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Jakabite posted:

We don't all agree it sucked rear end, a number of us quite enjoyed it actually.

You quite enjoyed it did you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yes I did rather. It had its flaws, but it was a pretty good read.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I really liked it

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Fog Tripper posted:

I kind of agree with you. That said, I wonder if over the past decade he saw all of us sperging about R+L=J and such and chooses to take them in a different direction just to gently caress with us. The little details that lead to conspiracies are great fun, as long as he doesn't yank the carpet from under them.

Regarding R + L = J, I do know what it means, but I did use to wonder what the J was supposed to mean in the Renly + Loras equation. Obscure gay slang for something? :)

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Wait the R+L stands for Renly and Loras? I thought it was Rhaegar + Lyanna.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Oh god if it turned out Jon was the time traveling son of Renly and Loras I would buy these books forever and ever. gently caress the Song of Ice and Fire, you could start calling him the Rainbow Connection.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Umph posted:

You quite enjoyed it did you?
Me and mine thought it was good and better.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
I liked the part where the got ready for the huge battle and then you got to read about the battle later when Ramsey Bolton passed notes to Jon Snow in fifth period rape class.

The best thing Robert Jordan ever did was introduce a method of super fast fantasy traveling so you don't have to read about people traveling cross country for 9/10th's of the loving book.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

CyberLord XP posted:

The best thing Robert Jordan ever did was introduce a method of super fast fantasy traveling so you don't have to read about people traveling cross country for 9/10th's of the loving book.
If only he had invented a way to tug a braid once and keep it tugged.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005
Welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising?

CyberLord XP posted:

I liked the part where the got ready for the huge battle and then you got to read about the battle later when Ramsey Bolton passed notes to Jon Snow in fifth period rape class.

But dude, think of the suspense and mystery!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Quantify! posted:

Me and mine thought it was good and better.

I enjoyed it much and more!

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
Wow guys, piling on a guy for a turn of phrase. And this is the good thread? gently caress...

If you get over your hangups about your Tyrion-dragging-riding-blue-balls not being satisfied and just read the book for what it is, it's actually pretty good. But I mean if you're going into it saying "if it doesn't have exactly the plot elements I want I'm not going to like it" well shucks guys.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Jakabite posted:

We don't all agree it sucked rear end, a number of us quite enjoyed it actually.

Yeah. Also, maybe if people hadn't spent six years bitching about the wait in a series of threads it might not have seemed as bad.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Yeah, I do think the wait was a significant factor in enjoyment. But I like that, because people who spent so much time bitching and moaning on the Internet have basically destroyed their own potential for enjoyment of the thing they were bitching and moaning to see. Its poetic justice, self-inflicted revenge against all Wild Cards. HA!

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
When some dudes wanted Jon to seal all passages in the Wall to keep the others (or maybe at that point it was also still the wildlings) out and he was like "NO WE HAVE TO RANGE :supaburn: " I was all like why dont you bitches just build some bigger versions of that basket pulling elevator!?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

niethan posted:

When some dudes wanted Jon to seal all passages in the Wall to keep the others (or maybe at that point it was also still the wildlings) out and he was like "NO WE HAVE TO RANGE :supaburn: " I was all like why dont you bitches just build some bigger versions of that basket pulling elevator!?

What difference would that make? And it seems like their resources are pretty slim right now to be building industrial-strength 700 foot tall elevators...

I did think it odd that the main gate at Castle Black seemed fairly weak.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled

niethan posted:

Because it wasn't in the script.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Habibi posted:

What difference would that make? And it seems like their resources are pretty slim right now to be building industrial-strength 700 foot tall elevators...

I did think it odd that the main gate at Castle Black seemed fairly weak.
Well it would make the difference that it would eliminate the passages which are a weak point and that's why some of the brothers wanted to seal them up. And if they had no problem rebuilding a 700 foot tall stairway, there's enough wood and manpower around to build a bigass winch.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

niethan posted:

Well it would make the difference that it would eliminate the passages which are a weak point and that's why some of the brothers wanted to seal them up. And if they had no problem rebuilding a 700 foot tall stairway, there's enough wood and manpower around to build a bigass winch.

No I mean what difference would it make to build a larger lift? Basically, the way you phrased it, I got the impression that building a larger lift would somehow mitigate the disadvantages of sealing the entrances. So what I'm wondering if how that larger lift would help? In general, I don't like the idea of sealing the gates because, who knows? You'll probably need to get out eventually, and sealing the gates just means the incoming hordes are going to start working on another way to get past/around you.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Habibi posted:

No I mean what difference would it make to build a larger lift? Basically, the way you phrased it, I got the impression that building a larger lift would somehow mitigate the disadvantages of sealing the entrances. So what I'm wondering if how that larger lift would help? In general, I don't like the idea of sealing the gates because, who knows? You'll probably need to get out eventually, and sealing the gates just means the incoming hordes are going to start working on another way to get past/around you.

Build a lift on both sides?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Finished all 5 in two months, just stopping by to say I can't wait to see Jaime kill Cersei.

Peace.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

CyberLord XP posted:

Build a lift on both sides?

Doesn't that seem a bit...convenient for the invaders?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Yeah build lifts on both sides so big they can carry a horse so the rangers can come and go and if invaders come the master strategy would be "not lifting the invaders"

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

niethan posted:

Yeah build lifts on both sides so big they can carry a horse so the rangers can come and go and if invaders come the master strategy would be "not lifting the invaders"

I thought the horsepower asspower for the lifts was on the ground, not on top of the wall?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Hedrigall posted:

I really liked it

Same here. I thought it was better than AGOT and ACOK, on the same level as AFFC, and of course weaker than ASOS.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Hedrigall posted:

I really liked it

I also enjoyed it quite a bit, even though it was my least favorite of the series so far.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Azure_Horizon posted:

Same here. I thought it was better than AGOT and ACOK, on the same level as AFFC, and of course weaker than ASOS.

It was not a bad book - it was only a bad book in the context of waiting for poo poo to happen for 10+ years. I'm with those who would put DWD around the same level as ACOK, a bit better than AGOT, worse than ASOS, around the same level as AFFC (less hair-tearing Brienne scenes, more hair-tearing Daenerys scenes).

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Mr.Brinks posted:

But dude, think of the suspense and mystery!

...for four to five years :gonk:

To the guy asking about R+L, yes, it stands for Rhaegar + Lyanna. The poster before you was describing his initial confusion in regards to it.

Also not sure why anyone wants Tyrion to be a dragon rider, that would be ridiculously stupid.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Ross posted:

Also not sure why anyone wants Tyrion to be a dragon rider, that would be ridiculously stupid.
It rewards him for being smart and a "good" Lannister.

Similarly Jaime will get a full pardon and serve in Dany's Queensguard.

In my dreams...

Whitecloak
Dec 12, 2004

ARISE

Habibi posted:

I thought the horsepower asspower for the lifts was on the ground, not on top of the wall?

With a long enough chain or rope you could still have the animal strength on the 'safe' side of the wall. Pulleys are wonderful things.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Whitecloak posted:

With a long enough chain or rope you could still have the animal strength on the 'safe' side of the wall. Pulleys are wonderful things.
This is great until one dick wildling shoots a fire arrow at the rope.

Good luck building a 1400+ foot chain.

I dunno some stuff is impractical and some stuff just can't happen because the plot has to go a certain way.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Quantify! posted:

This is great until one dick wildling shoots a fire arrow at the rope.

Why would the lifts be active during a wildling siege?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Quantify! posted:

Good luck building a 1400+ foot chain.

We need another book about building a really long chain.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Whitecloak posted:

Again, though, just seems like that would require a whole shitload of resources. Plus, there's something to be said for having a gate you can ride through and close behind you. Can you imagine a group of rangers on horseback running for the Wall with a large group of enemies behind them? "Hey guys we made it - now just to get into this open lift, signal them to start it up, and assuming no one behind has any arrows or large rocks, we'll be home free in an hour or so!"

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009
Winch or no winch, I think Pomegranate Head and Co. are going to seal the door, and it will somehow come back to bite them in the rear end.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

oogyboogs posted:

and it will somehow come back to bite them in the rear end.
We're gonna need a bigger winch!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

We're gonna need a bigger winch!

Well we have this Brien- oh you said wInch!

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

R(enly) + L(oras) = J(on Connington)

There. The perfect formula for ASoIaF homosexuals not including Whoresbane, Blackfish, and whoever else might be of the fabulous persuasion. Never mind the age differences.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Jakabite posted:

Yes I did rather. It had its flaws, but it was a pretty good read.

I liked it too.

If GRRM and his editors hadn't chopped the two final sequences, I think I'd put it as the 2nd best in the series.

Book would have kicked rear end if the ending had included the battle of Winterfell and Mereen burning to the ground.

The way it is, it's probably 2nd worst after AFFC, but whatever, still pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Yeah, aside from the wait, Dance's only major weakness is its lovely cliffhanger ending, especially because the cliffhangers are pretty predictable, so the ending feels incomplete instead of feeling like a point of dramatic tension.