Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

legoman727 posted:

I don't really know anything about Battletech outside this thread, so I have to ask.

What is Far Country, and why is everyone so glad to be murdering its protagonists?

It's considered by many to be the Worst Battletech Novel Ever. Bobbin Threadbare did a Let's Read of it earlier in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

W.T. Fits posted:

So is anyone else getting the feeling that even with the threat of three teams of invisible space ninjas lurking about, this has been a bit too easy so far?

My instincts are screaming that something bad for the Goonstar is going to happen within the next turn or two.

Uhoh...

Bird-alien Ewok attacks?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Hey now, give my HAG/40 some credit. It shredded your LBX autocannon. :)

Yes, that it did. Pesky HAG/40! :argh:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

W.T. Fits posted:

So is anyone else getting the feeling that even with the threat of three teams of invisible space ninjas lurking about, this has been a bit too easy so far?

My instincts are screaming that something bad for the Goonstar is going to happen within the next turn or two.

There's only been one turn of shooting. There's still plenty of opportunities for the dice to gently caress the GoonStar.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Trast posted:

Yes, that it did. Pesky HAG/40! :argh:

I detest that weapon and everything it stands for.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Rorac posted:

I detest that weapon and everything it stands for.
Why do you hate :black101: HUGE GUNS :black101:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Xmas Future posted:

Why do you hate :black101: HUGE GUNS :black101:

Because he hates freedoms. Specifically, he hates our freedoms to hose down our enemies with hot ferro-nickle.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Because he hates freedoms. Specifically, he hates our freedoms to hose down our enemies with hot ferro-nickle.

To be fair, I'm biased due to being the one most often getting hosed with said ferro-nickle.

I also think it's horribly overpowered overall and probably borderline broken. The Gauss rifle is powerful but pretty reasonable. The HAG/40 takes everything good about the gauss and turns it up to 11 without anything to balance it back that I've seen. The HAG would've been better instead as a sort of gauss-flavored UAC I think.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I hear there was once a time where an AC/20 was considered powerful.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Rorac posted:

To be fair, I'm biased due to being the one most often getting hosed with said ferro-nickle.

I also think it's horribly overpowered overall and probably borderline broken. The Gauss rifle is powerful but pretty reasonable. The HAG/40 takes everything good about the gauss and turns it up to 11 without anything to balance it back that I've seen. The HAG would've been better instead as a sort of gauss-flavored UAC I think.

The HAG/40 is actually fairly weak. It does the same thing as two cLRM-20s, but at nearly twice the weight. It also has a minimum range penalty, and suffers a -2 to the cluster tables at long range.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

To be fair to the venerable AC/20, nobody wants to get close to it because even in the post clan-invasion 3060/3070 era, that thing will still gently caress You Up if you get close.

But with the wide proliferation of Extended-Range energy weapons and Extralight Engines, no longer does the guy facing the AC/20 have to make the choice between sniping with his single PPC and staying out of range, or bringing his medium-range workhorse weapons into play and risking getting annihilated, because now it's all about staying out of range of that AC/20 at all costs and shooting with his workhorse sniper guns.

It's less a murderizer and more an area-denial device nowadays.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Strategy question. If I feel like ploughing right next to V5 and kicking them/shooting them with all my machine guns this turn, would I be better off doing so from 1311 or 1410? Or maybe even from 1312, where I lose the kick but the woods may be dense enough to block shots from V3 and maybe V1?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Get close to a mech with one. I'm sure the AC/20 will give you a reminder. :v:

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Rorac posted:

I also think it's horribly overpowered overall and probably borderline broken...The HAG would've been better instead as a sort of gauss-flavored UAC I think.
These two things seem to be really opposed. The HAGs can't headcap like a regular gauss rifle, they're heavy as hell, and chew through ammo. An ultra-gauss would be hugely powerful.

Also AC-20s still do the second-highest single-location damage of any weapon, they're not weak. (and they can use precision ammo and can be tied to a targeting computer, turning them into a pulse-AC/20 for two shots per bin.)

Usual Barb fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 28, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
The HAG series are effectively giant long range shotguns, with several weaknesses. Most of them have been said by Knoxzone and Xmas Future, but there is also the fact that you only get 3 shots per ton for the HAG/40, 4 for the /30, and 6 for the /20. Also, due to the use of the cluster table, one can expect to have close to half the pellets missing the target on an average roll.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

lilljonas posted:

I'm waiting to see which goon pilot who will show their back to the enemy this turn.

:blush:

Dolash posted:

Strategy question. If I feel like ploughing right next to V5 and kicking them/shooting them with all my machine guns this turn, would I be better off doing so from 1311 or 1410? Or maybe even from 1312, where I lose the kick but the woods may be dense enough to block shots from V3 and maybe V1?

Rethink this stategy. I believe you may have missed the forest for the trees, no pun intended.

VVV Aw, Bobbin, ya spoiled it :). Seriously, though, 1311 (back up first to get a movement mod) will give you good cover from V3 and might even break LOS to V1, while still letting you do the chainsaw on V4. Plus, if you steal another kill from our Jenner, we may even get a bonus scenario for the ensuing Trial of Grievance!

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 28, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Dolash posted:

(I'll just assume you meant V4)

I'd suggest 1311 and forget the kick; Clanners don't have a melee ability worth the trouble of using, and unloading all your machine guns will be giving Poptarts enough of a headache as it is. Assuming your star-mates don't suddenly back down, the north two 'mechs should have enough to worry about without going after you, and the cover there should be enough to hinder the west 'mech.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Assuming your star-mates don't suddenly back down...
Ah, about that :shobon:

I gave myself cover from V3 and V1 this turn, because with V4 behind me I was feeling awfully exposed. Not the clanner way I guess, but Ellias did decide that Zell was off.

V4 is super exposed and I say we take it out.

e: hurf durf I am illiterate

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 29, 2011

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Agreed, but it's just a Locust. I doubt we'll need much focus fire, twelve machine guns and two ER medium lasers at short range (plus a kick! I've always wanted to throw some giant robot kicks) should handle it.

Moving to 1311, pasting V4.

May the best 'Mech be responsible for the kill!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
In defence of the HAG (And acknowledging their flaws, I have a deep and abiding love for the HAG/40), they outrange LRMs and have a bonus to the cluster table up close. They also outrange ERPPCs and regular gauss rifles.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

In defence of the HAG (And acknowledging their flaws, I have a deep and abiding love for the HAG/40), they outrange LRMs and have a bonus to the cluster table up close. They also outrange ERPPCs and regular gauss rifles.

That right there, that's the primary issue. I don't mind it being a giant mech shotgun basically, it's the fact that it outranges the standard gauss rifle that's the problem.

If it was say, 2/3rds the current max range(with corresponding close and medium ranges), it would be fine in my eyes.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Rorac posted:

That right there, that's the primary issue. I don't mind it being a giant mech shotgun basically, it's the fact that it outranges the standard gauss rifle that's the problem.

If it was say, 2/3rds the current max range(with corresponding close and medium ranges), it would be fine in my eyes.

It's really just akin to two cLRM20s. It definitely doesn't need to be gimped, it's fine as-is.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Octatonic posted:

Ah, about that :shobon:

I gave myself cover from V3 and V1 this turn, because with V4 behind me I was feeling awfully exposed. Not the clanner way Ellias guess, but I did decide that Zell was off.

V4 is super exposed and I say we take it out.
Where are you moving to?
Trying to decide if I should focus on V4 with Dolash or stay back. I have enough movement if I run that I think I could flank V3, but I won't do that if I'm the only one headed that direction. On the other hand, I could probably get in a position to support F1 and F3 too if need be.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I'm also firing on V4, but if that's still your best option, then go for it.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Hauki posted:

Where are you moving to?
Trying to decide if I should focus on V4 with Dolash or stay back. I have enough movement if I run that I think I could flank V3, but I won't do that if I'm the only one headed that direction. On the other hand, I could probably get in a position to support F1 and F3 too if need be.

Pretty sure no one is moving west. F1 and F3 seem to be pulling back from the hill and sniping from cover, while F2 and F5 are going to simply ruin V4's day.

EDIT: All Piranhas look alike to me.

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 29, 2011

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Rorac posted:

The problem is that it's already not a very good weapon compared to two LRM-20s with ArtIV (or worse, ArtV).

The two LRMs have only somewhat more heat, no min range, no long range penalties, can use special ammo, have equal damage, you can fire only one of them at a time if you want, have greater redundancy, and are less likely to blow up in your face owing to using explosive ammo instead of being explosive, and can fire indirect.

HAGs are only the "better" weapon against VTOLs. They're a nice tool, but their primary job is as very large, very nasty VTOL-killers. Even at long range, a HAG/40 can take apart just about any VTOL in a single burst.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

A good poster posted:

I'm also firing on V4, but if that's still your best option, then go for it.
Seems like overkill, but I can't think of much else to do without overextending.
1410 and 1210 both seem pretty exposed though. I'm not sure who has LoS to 1111, and I'd be at med range with the MGs instead of short. If I stay in 1211 and just turn to fire, I think only V2 would have LoS to me, and I'm not even sure of that. Still med range though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Z the IVth posted:

Also, I mentioned this in IRC, but I wondered if anyone here's heard of Reaper's CAV game? A through and through battletech clone, but with much better looking designs. Has anyone ever tried it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Assault_Vehicle
Some of the designs are clearly "I can't believe this isn't an Unseen".

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines
Best part is it's N Scale! Means my model trains don't look out of place.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Hauki posted:

Seems like overkill, but I can't think of much else to do without overextending.
1410 and 1210 both seem pretty exposed though. I'm not sure who has LoS to 1111, and I'd be at med range with the MGs instead of short. If I stay in 1211 and just turn to fire, I think only V2 would have LoS to me, and I'm not even sure of that. Still med range though.

Overkill is an excellent idea. You'll have more turns and more chances to kill the other mechs - concentrate all your fire now. You never know when you'll roll a bajillion 2's and fail to kill something, then later rage when it kicks your heaviest mech, causing a TAC and surprise ammo destruction and a mech death.

Also, think about it this way. Even if you completely overkill a single mech a turn, it's hard to outdo a kill per turn from a scenario-wining perspective. 5 turns is super-quick for killing 5 mechs. Plus killing one mech is better than damaging but failing to kill two or three mechs. It's why Zell is such a disadvantage for the clans.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 29, 2011

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

MJ12 posted:

The problem is that it's already not a very good weapon compared to two LRM-20s with ArtIV (or worse, ArtV).

The two LRMs have only somewhat more heat, no min range, no long range penalties, can use special ammo, have equal damage, you can fire only one of them at a time if you want, have greater redundancy, and are less likely to blow up in your face owing to using explosive ammo instead of being explosive, and can fire indirect.

HAGs are only the "better" weapon against VTOLs. They're a nice tool, but their primary job is as very large, very nasty VTOL-killers. Even at long range, a HAG/40 can take apart just about any VTOL in a single burst.

Eh, having explosive ammo is about as bad as a gun that explodes. Even more so since HAGs tend to go into arms while LRM ammo is in the side torso on many designs.

It's also not affected by AMS which, as I've said before, is a lot more effective now.

I've never used HAGs so I do have this question. Is it clustered a-la LRMs or individual points like a LB-X?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
LRM clusters, and the HAG itself takes up an obscene number of explosive crits.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Based on Far Country, what else could the opposing team have to work with?

Anyway. I will recommend that after this round you all consider your moves very carefully next round. The first light to step on a DEST team will probably die real fast.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Affi posted:

Bear in mind that a magnetic anomaly was reported in the intro post to this fight. I have a feeling that at least one of our standard-issue surprises will stem from that.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Bear in mind that a magnetic anomaly was reported in the intro post to this fight. I have a feeling that at least one of our standard-issue surprises will stem from that.

I bet that magnetic anomaly is the crashed dropship, and some of its weapons are still active.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

An Atlas appears and begins pimpslapping goonstar around. Or some other assault, david vs goliath. Or the ninjas take out both of the machinegun mechs at once and then start slaughtering you.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
Mk. II: Bigger, longer, uncut robo-cock.

Affi posted:

Anyway. I will recommend that after this round you all consider your moves very carefully next round. The first light to step on a DEST team will probably die real fast.

Aside from aliens?

Dropships. It featured Leopard, Seeker, and Vulture-class dropships.

Nothing else was mentioned in the book as far as I can recall.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

That was Vost Lance. They're protected by an ECM, which Inari's active probe was only partially compensating for due to the distances involved.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I'm just going to point out that I think our ninja's are hidden 'til they shoot, not hidden 'til they leave the trees.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe you should all be scared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Does anyone here play Mechwarrior: Living Legends, the Crysis mod? If so we should get Goonlance together to bust some center torsos some day :v:

Unfortunately there's no Piranhas or justice footing, so we'll have to invent some new tactics.

• Locked thread