Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kathandrion
Jul 10, 2009
Country/Provider: I currently have sprint, I'm considering moving to Metro PCS for the 50/mo smart phone plan

Current contract status: I don't know a whole lot about phones but I signed a 2 year contract at sprint over 3 years ago so I think I'm on a month to month break-it-when-I-want-to status right now? I believe I am not under a contract currently.

Budget (phone/plan): I really can't convince my wife to let me pay more than 60$ or so/month and I'd like to spend 100-150 for a phone.

Features I know I want: If I change from the phone I have now (it works fine and my service is fine) I want to change to a Droid, using the above parameters. Specifically I'd like email/web browsing and simple apps like Pandora on my phone. My current phone is a super basic flip phone model with no internet as far as I know.

I came across a deal at metro pcs where I can buy a droid for 100$ and pay 50/mo for unlimited talk/text/web/data.

Is this a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Kathandrion posted:

Country/Provider: I currently have sprint, I'm considering moving to Metro PCS for the 50/mo smart phone plan

Current contract status: I don't know a whole lot about phones but I signed a 2 year contract at sprint over 3 years ago so I think I'm on a month to month break-it-when-I-want-to status right now? I believe I am not under a contract currently.

Budget (phone/plan): I really can't convince my wife to let me pay more than 60$ or so/month and I'd like to spend 100-150 for a phone.

Features I know I want: If I change from the phone I have now (it works fine and my service is fine) I want to change to a Droid, using the above parameters. Specifically I'd like email/web browsing and simple apps like Pandora on my phone. My current phone is a super basic flip phone model with no internet as far as I know.

I came across a deal at metro pcs where I can buy a droid for 100$ and pay 50/mo for unlimited talk/text/web/data.

Is this a good idea?

Virgin Mobile has 2 phones at $150 and $300 that are decent to good Android phones. The plan is $35 a month and VM uses Sprint Towers.

$300 Moto Triumph: http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile-Phones/MOTOROLA-TRIUMPH-US-EN

$150 LG Optimus V: http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/lg-optimus-v-virgin/4505-6452_7-34482446.html

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 15, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Kathandrion posted:

A small nit: the platform is Android. "Droid" refers to a specific line of phones on Verizon.

$50/mo for unlimited everything on Metro sounds reasonable as long as you find their coverage satisfactory.

If you don't need that many voice minutes, you could consider Virgin Mobile Beyond Talk as an alternative. It's no contract prepaid, $35/mo for 300 voice minutes and unlimited text & data, and $45/mo for 1200 voice minutes. Note that both of those are total minutes, there's no free nights & weekends or in-network calling or anything like that. As for coverage, VM runs on Sprint's network but there's no roaming, so you're limited to Sprint's native coverage. For phones, the LG Optimus V is $150 and is a great low-to-mid range device. The Motorola Triumph is definitely worth considering as it's a bit more featureful. It's a bit pricey at $300, but some folks are willing to pay that given the reduced plan rate.

Kathandrion posted:

I came across a deal at metro pcs where I can buy a droid for 100$ ....
Apparently Metro's site is down at the moment, so I can't tell what phone you're referring to. Please do keep in mind that not all Android phones are "good". Specifically, there's a few models out there that are buggy pieces of poo poo where half the advertised features (e.g., GPS) don't work, they reboot on you multiple times a day, and can barely make a phone call. It's usually the result of the manufacturer doing a piss-poor software job and not testing and supporting the device properly.

So definitely ask about any device you're considering on here to make sure it's going to be reasonable and work well enough for you so that you won't smash it into the wall in frustration.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Kathandrion posted:

Is this a good idea?

It's $5/month more for Virgin Mobile with the same features, who piggybacks off of Sprint's towers but with no roaming. I'd trust Sprint's coverage way more than Metro. Metro also doesn't have 3G coverage at all which means good luck streaming Pandora unless you're in Wi-Fi all the time.

The LG Optimus V is $150 and it's an alright mid-range smartphone. Plus Virgin has 3G.

Kathandrion
Jul 10, 2009
Thanks for all the help!

Sorry about the android/droid mix up, I'm an idiot when it comes to phones, I just dial a number and talk at it.

I will definitely check out virgin mobile and http://www.metropcs.com/shop/PhoneDetails.aspx?ProductId=LGMS690(Phones) this is the phone I was considering.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Kathandrion posted:

I will definitely check out virgin mobile and http://www.metropcs.com/shop/PhoneDetails.aspx?ProductId=LGMS690(Phones) this is the phone I was considering.
The Optimus M should be nearly identical to the Optimus V. The entire Optimus One series, which includes both, has been well respected since it came out last year. Godzilla has a good point though, apparently Metro skipped rolling out 3G service which means web browsing over cellular data will be painfully slow and Pandora outright impossible. Email should work though.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Optimus M should be nearly identical to the Optimus V. The entire Optimus One series, which includes both, has been well respected since it came out last year. Godzilla has a good point though, apparently Metro skipped rolling out 3G service which means web browsing over cellular data will be painfully slow and Pandora outright impossible. Email should work though.

I would not pay $50 a month for a non-3g smartphone plan. Hell, virgin's unlimited plan is $5 more and includes 3g. I'm not gonna use more than 300 minutes so the $35 virgin plan is fine for me.

Plus the optimus M is identical to the optimus V, the letter designates the carrier they modified it to be on.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mister Snips posted:

I would not pay $50 a month for a non-3g smartphone plan. Hell, virgin's unlimited plan is $5 more and includes 3g. I'm not gonna use more than 300 minutes so the $35 virgin plan is fine for me.

Plus the optimus M is identical to the optimus V, the letter designates the carrier they modified it to be on.

Fyi virgin has a $45 a month, 1200ish minute plan.

Kathandrion
Jul 10, 2009
Great info here, I never would have known that I wasn't getting 3G, or what not having 3G would mean.

Almost certainly going to go with Virgin because of that, since the only reason i wouldn't just keep my current non internet flip phone is because I want Pandora in my car.

Are there any other droid/smart phone features that I'm probably ignorant of that an average mostly tech savvy person would want?

Edit: does anyone have any first hand experience with Virgin Mobile? Would it be exactly like the Sprint service I'm currently receiving?

Kathandrion fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 16, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Kathandrion posted:

Are there any other droid/smart phone features that I'm probably ignorant of that an average mostly tech savvy person would want?
Most mid-to-high end Android phones can do all the main features that folks look for. The biggest that differs across devices, that one should be aware of, is the ability to root.

In relatively-simple terms, rooting allows you to alter some or all the underlying system software that runs the phone. There's various reasons to do this, e.g., to (wirelessly) tether your phone's data connection to a laptop, to backup all your app settings and game progress, and various other nifty things that Android doesn't support out of the box. It's sometimes also the only way to enable a device to run the latest version of Android after the manufacturer decides to no longer support it. The "Rooting" thread contains a fairly comprehensive list beyond the above examples.

Anyways, rooting a device is totally optional, but the issue is that it's much easier to do on some Android phones than others which are more locked down. The Optimus V is a fairly open device in that regard, and has been hacked to hell. The Triumph can be rooted, but I believe like all Motorola devices it has a signed bootloader, which means at present, the ability to replace the entire system is more limited than the Optimus V.

If rooting is something you're interested in, or an option you'd want to keep available for the future, it's worth making sure whatever device you pick up is rootable. It's also very important, when an over-the-air upgrade comes out, to check if it blocks the ability to root a phone before installing it. Usually when that happens, there's a modified version of the update available that allows you to preserve root.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
People have booted CM7 on the triumph. It's not functional, but for a phone that's been out for a month it's not too bad. It's also rootable.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Kathandrion posted:

Great info here, I never would have known that I wasn't getting 3G, or what not having 3G would mean.

Almost certainly going to go with Virgin because of that, since the only reason i wouldn't just keep my current non internet flip phone is because I want Pandora in my car.

Edit: does anyone have any first hand experience with Virgin Mobile? Would it be exactly like the Sprint service I'm currently receiving?

I also went from Sprint to VM and basically got the exact same coverage, only thing missing will be roaming.

Also there are shitload of apps, though not as many as the iPhone app store. GPS on the android platform is a killer app for me, way better than anything on the iPhone.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Stuff I do know:

Country/Provider: United States, AT&T

Current contract status: I'm on my family's plan of three people, plus adding one more tomorrow. As far as I know, it only covers talking, though we're adding unlimited texting tomorrow.

Budget (phone/plan): $100 limit for a phone, I don't want to add any charges or fees to the current billing plan.

Features I know I want: I'd like a decent to good camera, a keyboard, and good battery life. Apparently this "Gorilla Glass" thing is also good to have?

I have dumb questions because I apparently suck at looking things up. Going to upgrade my cell phone tomorrow and I'm having trouble finding any information regarding billing stuff. Like, I was told my family's plan qualifies me for the lowest price on upgrading phones, so it's possible to get a smart phone for $50-$100. Would I be able to get one of those with the internet stuff disabled so it's basically a phone with fancy hardware? From what I've been looking at so far, smart phones seem to have the best of the features I want, but I don't want any extra charges. Do I need to ask the sales rep or whoever? What are good phones in my price-range that aren't smart phones?

A Motorola Atrix 4G looks good on specs, but if it adds "smart phone fees" I can't get it.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Bocc Kob posted:

Stuff I do know:

Country/Provider: United States, AT&T

Current contract status: I'm on my family's plan of three people, plus adding one more tomorrow. As far as I know, it only covers talking, though we're adding unlimited texting tomorrow.

Budget (phone/plan): $100 limit for a phone, I don't want to add any charges or fees to the current billing plan.

Features I know I want: I'd like a decent to good camera, a keyboard, and good battery life. Apparently this "Gorilla Glass" thing is also good to have?

I have dumb questions because I apparently suck at looking things up. Going to upgrade my cell phone tomorrow and I'm having trouble finding any information regarding billing stuff. Like, I was told my family's plan qualifies me for the lowest price on upgrading phones, so it's possible to get a smart phone for $50-$100. Would I be able to get one of those with the internet stuff disabled so it's basically a phone with fancy hardware? From what I've been looking at so far, smart phones seem to have the best of the features I want, but I don't want any extra charges. Do I need to ask the sales rep or whoever? What are good phones in my price-range that aren't smart phones?

A Motorola Atrix 4G looks good on specs, but if it adds "smart phone fees" I can't get it.

Any smart phone you choose also comes with a mandatory minimum data/smart phone/whatever AT&T calls it place, no way to avoid it when using an upgrade.
You can tell what qualifies as a smartphone on the website, I just went to the AT&T site and it will say "Requires a minimum data service starting at $15/month" so maybe look at any phone that doesn't say that and think about what you want/need. There are a good number of phones from what I'm seeing that have keyboards and cameras, not sure how good they are.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Is Rogers in Canada generally seen as a good company as far as service and prices go?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Radioshack has the Optimus V for $129 now. Just picked one up for the wife, will post a trip report when the damned port goes through (drat you StraightTalk).

Austin Powers
Aug 13, 2011
Hey guys

I lost my iPhone 4 last week (paid it in full too, lmao) and now I'm looking to get a cheap phone from the local classifieds. Nothing fancy, just something to hold me off until the iPhone 5 comes out. I'm currently with AT&T (no contract, though. just a prepaid plan) and the only feature I really care about is a decent camera, since I take more pictures than a 15 year old girl who just discovered facebook.

Under $100. Preferably under $80

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Austin Powers posted:

Hey guys

I lost my iPhone 4 last week (paid it in full too, lmao) and now I'm looking to get a cheap phone from the local classifieds. Nothing fancy, just something to hold me off until the iPhone 5 comes out. I'm currently with AT&T (no contract, though. just a prepaid plan) and the only feature I really care about is a decent camera, since I take more pictures than a 15 year old girl who just discovered facebook.

Under $100. Preferably under $80

Buy a cheap phone off craigslist, make sure you avoid signing a contract.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Country/Provider: US AT&T

Current contract status: Family plan, upgrade eligible

Budget (phone/plan): 0-50

Features I know I want: This phone will be for my mom, so features doesn't matter too much. It needs to be a sturdy phone, and the best voice feature, since it will mostly only be used as a phone. She won't need the data plan, so the price has to be without a data plan contract. So basically, I want to get the best non-smartphone available for AT&T that costs the least with a contract. I also think she's not that comfortable with a touch screen, through this is not a deal breaker. I think most touch screen phones require the $15 dollar plan so that's out?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I just moved to Marseille, will be here for 2 years so I need a new phone contract. What I need is described below, but just as a warning I absolutely refuse to do anything with Vodafone. They absolutely hosed me in Germany and will not do business with them.

Country/Provider: France

Current contract status: None

Budget (phone/plan): Hoping to spend about 40 EUR a month.

Features I know I want: Unlimited texting and at least 200mb of data per month. It be nice to have a blackberry again. I do have an at&t blackberry 3G with me that i can unlock for European use.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Current contract status: running out the end of this month

Budget: flexible

Contract isn't an issue, just the phone. I can get an iPhone 8GB 3GS for $50 + contract, or an iPhone 4 for for $199 (16gb, or 32gb for $299) + contract. Or, I can get an Atrix for ~300 w. contract, or an unlocked Sony Ericsson Play for $399 but no contract (but I'd end up getting one anyway.)

What I'm looking for is a phone that does gaming well. I was intrigued by the Play because of the gamepad + android, not so much because of the complete lack of support it will receive in the future. I lean towards the android platform, but am not shutting out the iphone option.

Other factors include: battery life, rootability (not huge, it'd just be nice to have).

That's pretty much it, everything else beyond that is just gravy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Abugadu posted:

Contract isn't an issue, just the phone. I can get an iPhone 8GB 3GS for $50 + contract, or an iPhone 4 for for $199 (16gb, or 32gb for $299) + contract. Or, I can get an Atrix for ~300 w. contract, or an unlocked Sony Ericsson Play for $399 but no contract (but I'd end up getting one anyway.)

What I'm looking for is a phone that does gaming well. I was intrigued by the Play because of the gamepad + android, not so much because of the complete lack of support it will receive in the future. I lean towards the android platform, but am not shutting out the iphone option.

Other factors include: battery life, rootability (not huge, it'd just be nice to have).

I like Android, but the Play is a meh option, the gaming for what it has appears great, but as you mentioned, not many people support it. I wouldn't get it. Plus its Sony Ericcson, and I am convinced their phones suck.

The iPhone's big advantages are Media (music, video etc) and gaming. So if those are really important, you should strongly consider the iPhone. Android does all of those too, just not quite as big of a selection or as smoothly in some cases. Same vice versa, Android is great for tweaking, customizing, etc whereas the iPhone can be customized, but not quite as much. Considering you save $100 with the iPhone over the Atrix, I would recommend the iPhone.

Android is way better with rooting/unlocking than the iPhone in almost every scenario.

Never use a contract to get last year's hardware, its just a waste. Don't get the 3GS it is on its way out. Heck I would recommend holding out until October, the iPhone 5 is likely launching then, you can get NEW NEW hardware at $199 pricepoint.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Abugadu posted:

The Play is a neat concept, but the only games that actually support the gamepad are just a few PSX ports from Sony. Even then, you've still got to deal with the lack of two shoulder buttons (can't remember how Sony dealt with that.) Plus it's a bit plasticky and outdated.

If you want games, get an iPhone. It's as simple as that. The best Android games are still one to two-year old iPhone ports despite the relative popularity of the platform. You don't see anything like Rage, Infinity Blade or Real Racing on Android. Wait for the iPhone 5 which will be out in September or October just for the updated hardware.

One last note about rootability: you don't need to jailbreak iPhones anymore, unless you need an unlock or want free tethering. With iOS 5, every complaint about iOS has been fixed.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I'm currently helping my non-too-tech-savvy girlfriend decide on a smartphone. She's currently using a Nokia dumbphone that can only hold forty text messages at a time; anything better than that is already an upgrade. Now, we both use Macs and I have an iPhone and an iPad, but I'm hesitant to recommend her an iPhone, since the iPhone 5 is just around the corner. Sure, we could wait, but who knows what it'll cost and how long she'll have to wait until it's available (iPhone launches are notoriously chaotic in my country). So maybe we should go for an Android device? I've looked at the Sensation and the Galaxy S II, and while the hardware is obviously pretty great I'm not too sure about those flashy crazy UIs. In terms of value-for-money these things are obviously much better choices than the current iPhone, but the iPhone is idiot-proof. Basically, my question is: would you give your own decidedly non-nerdy girlfriends a Sensation or a Galaxy S II or would you grudgingly buy them an iPhone 4 because it's "safer"?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Parkettpolitur posted:

In terms of value-for-money these things are obviously much better choices than the current iPhone,
No, they're not.

I agree that picking up an iPhone 4 right now is a bit silly, with the iPhone 5 around the corner. Even if you're concerned about the price on an iPhone 5, surely 4s will go for a good bit cheaper used once the 5 hits the market and folks look to upgrade. But I don't think going with Android is necessarily a solution to that situation.

Don't get me wrong, Android is a great platform, but it's not for everyone. Particularly for someone who is already into Apple's ecosystem, has a Mac, possibly an iPod, and especially if they're into iTunes, an iPhone is an obvious choice. There's nothing comparable to iTunes on Android, so the ecosystem-switch is potentially a regrettable, uphill battle.

Also, keep in mind that Android itself is just about to undergo a major change. All current Android devices, including the latest ones out, are still running an OS released last December, which itself is only an incremental change on one released nearly two years ago. The next version of Android, Ice Cream Sandwich, is speculated to first ship between October and December. It's the biggest change to Android to date, including a UI overhaul and finally featuring hardware acceleration (which, incidentally is something iOS has had since day one, which is why current Android feels sluggish compared to iOS even on much more recent hardware).

The problem is that Android upgrades often take quite a long time to trickle down to existing devices. So even when ICS is released in Oct-Dec, it could be until next spring or even summer before it his the Sensation or SGSII. In contrast, we know the iPhone 4 will run iOS 5 and an update is likely to come out or it far sooner.

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.
On Sprint, still under contract, want to spend $200 or less but I'll invest more if it'll last.

I'm getting extremely sick of my Optimus being fine one day and turning into poo poo the next. I was considering the Samsung Epic if I can find it sub-$200 for awhile, however I was told the Epic is semi-poo poo. I personally wouldn't mind having a keyboard, which is why I was slightly leaning towards the Epic (I have big-rear end hands and Swype likes being bitchy). Most everyday apps are fine, but running things like Google Navigator slow it down to slideshow rates. Swype is iffy depending on the day.

Most people were pointing me toward the Evo set. Anything I should be worrying about when it comes to Evo/Evo Shift/Evo 3D in terms of major non-apparent differences? I wouldn't mind shelling out for a 3D if it'll last. Finally being able to use 4G would be nice too since I just moved to NYC.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

T-Shaped posted:

On Sprint, still under contract, want to spend $200 or less but I'll invest more if it'll last.

I'm getting extremely sick of my Optimus being fine one day and turning into poo poo the next. I was considering the Samsung Epic if I can find it sub-$200 for awhile, however I was told the Epic is semi-poo poo. I personally wouldn't mind having a keyboard, which is why I was slightly leaning towards the Epic (I have big-rear end hands and Swype likes being bitchy). Most everyday apps are fine, but running things like Google Navigator slow it down to slideshow rates. Swype is iffy depending on the day.

Most people were pointing me toward the Evo set. Anything I should be worrying about when it comes to Evo/Evo Shift/Evo 3D in terms of major non-apparent differences? I wouldn't mind shelling out for a 3D if it'll last. Finally being able to use 4G would be nice too since I just moved to NYC.

I'd say the reason why the Optimus even with Swype isn't so good for you is the tiny screen. Anything less than 3.7'' on Android is not fun to deal with.

I'd get an Evo 4G. It's a solid phone at $200-$250. The dual-core phones aren't $200 better right now. The Evo 4G will be able to last another year most likely and handle ICS easily.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
EDIT: Oh, you're not getting a subsidized phone. Do what Godzilla says. I'll leave the rest there if anyone else is making that choice.

T-Shaped posted:

There are only 2 Sprint Android phones worth buying if you want to move up from an Optimus, the Evo 3D and the Motorola Photon. Both are solid.

Key differences:
3D has a 5MP camera, which seems worse on paper, but 8MP with a CCD that small is going to make nosier pictures. There's a reason Apple only has 5MP in the iPhone, and it's not cost.

Photon has marginally better battery life, although review sites seem incapable of running a proper battery test since they use ambiguous terms like "moderate use". Moto does have the Pentile display and they're known for being pretty efficient phones.

The 3D does not have a Pentile display. Pentile looks really bad to some people, others never notice, go to a store and look for yourself. The screens are the same resolution.

Photon has 16GB internal storage plus an SD card. 3D has 1.2 GB internal app storage plus an SD card. I have a lot installed and still have over 600MB free on the 3D. A quick Google search says your Optimus has 140MB internal storage for perspective.

The Photon has a kickstand.

The 3D does 3D things. All are 100% optional and should be seen as a feature/gimmick it is never required that you ever use the 3D feature.

Both currently have root and I believe the Photon is now unlocked, which means custom ROMs are possible on both. Be aware that HTC offers an official unlock of the 3D so 6 months from now, should you take your phone in for repair, you will still be able to re-root the 3D indefinitely, there is no guarantee for the Photon after it gets the next update.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

900ftjesus posted:

3D has a 5MP camera, which seems worse on paper, but 8MP with a CCD that small is going to make nosier pictures. There's a reason Apple only has 5MP in the iPhone, and it's not cost.

I wish more people knew this and didn't just go by picture resolution.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

900ftjesus posted:

There are only 2 Sprint Android phones worth buying if you want to move up from an Optimus, the Evo 3D and the Motorola Photon. Both are solid.
You'd recommend these two, but not the Nexus S? The Evo 3D's a better choice for power users who will take the time to replace the stock ROM, but the Nexus S is the triple threat of being (a) reasonably-sized, (b) supported directly by Google, and (c) every bit as responsive (if not moreso) than today's dual-core offerings. The Sprint version's got WiMax, so he'd be covered there, too.

Honestly if you can live with the 16GB capacity limitation, I'd say the NS is the best phone available in the States -- and I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kalibar posted:

You'd recommend these two, but not the Nexus S? The Evo 3D's a better choice for power users who will take the time to replace the stock ROM, but the Nexus S is the triple threat of being (a) reasonably-sized, (b) supported directly by Google, and (c) every bit as responsive (if not moreso) than today's dual-core offerings. The Sprint version's got WiMax, so he'd be covered there, too.

Honestly if you can live with the 16GB capacity limitation, I'd say the NS is the best phone available in the States -- and I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Depends on the user. Nerds should consider the nexus, but honestly I have had a lot of problems with "average" people not liking it. As in they get it, and decide 3 days later they want the evo because the phone is hard to use. The only thing I can think of is HTC does have better Facebook integration and honestly, after texting that is the number one app people use. The return rate on the nexus is just horrid.

The evo 3D is also noticeably faster in my opinion, and I am currently using both phones. Sense 3.0 also proves that skins can be nice. Seriously, my 3D is rooted, but I see no reason to replace the rom so far,although I might at some point just for kicks.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

No, they're not.

I agree that picking up an iPhone 4 right now is a bit silly, with the iPhone 5 around the corner. Even if you're concerned about the price on an iPhone 5, surely 4s will go for a good bit cheaper used once the 5 hits the market and folks look to upgrade. But I don't think going with Android is necessarily a solution to that situation.

Don't get me wrong, Android is a great platform, but it's not for everyone. Particularly for someone who is already into Apple's ecosystem, has a Mac, possibly an iPod, and especially if they're into iTunes, an iPhone is an obvious choice. There's nothing comparable to iTunes on Android, so the ecosystem-switch is potentially a regrettable, uphill battle.

Also, keep in mind that Android itself is just about to undergo a major change. All current Android devices, including the latest ones out, are still running an OS released last December, which itself is only an incremental change on one released nearly two years ago. The next version of Android, Ice Cream Sandwich, is speculated to first ship between October and December. It's the biggest change to Android to date, including a UI overhaul and finally featuring hardware acceleration (which, incidentally is something iOS has had since day one, which is why current Android feels sluggish compared to iOS even on much more recent hardware).

The problem is that Android upgrades often take quite a long time to trickle down to existing devices. So even when ICS is released in Oct-Dec, it could be until next spring or even summer before it his the Sensation or SGSII. In contrast, we know the iPhone 4 will run iOS 5 and an update is likely to come out or it far sooner.

Thanks a lot, I didn't know about Ice Cream Sandwich - not up on my Android, I guess. Still, the nerd in me just rebels against buying an iPhone 4 right now :( I'll check with my girlfriend, maybe she'll be able to wait until October or whenever Steve (or Tim, rather) releases the new iPhone - worst case, she'll get a very cheap iPhone 4 at that point!

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Country: Ireland (and UK - I can return home and get it unlocked if that's possible to do for cheaper)

Current contract status: Non-existant. Crappy unmentionable pay as you go phone

Budget: 100-300 euros (maybe more if it was really good)

My computer operating system is Mac Snow Leopard if that is relevant. I'm also a student so I'm eligible for a discount in some places.

I'm looking for the most value for money I can get - I'll defer to you guys as to whether you think that's contract or pay as you go. I doubt I'd ever exceed more than 350 texts or 200 minutes a month, but I'd definitely make use of utility. One of the greatest bloody expenditures I have on my phone is my parents calling me from the North (UK) cross-border and racking up stupid charges; being able to hang up then skype call them for cheap would be nice.

I have little interest in taking photos or videos (like I wouldn't care if the phone wasn't able to do it at all). I'd like to be connected to the internet as much as possible to check emails and update facebook and twitter. I wouldn't mind if the phone was a big touchscreen, but from what I've heard keyboard phones are way faster for typing. If it was touchscreen, it would have to have an insanely well designed touch keyboard interface. I don't care about watching films at all. Must have a quite a good browser. I'm looking for something that feels very responsive with a good processor - slowdown drives me insane. Multitasking would be great. I don't really care at all about external audio quality providing the speaker works for phone calls (and on the same subject, I don't care about video calls either). Don't care at all about ring tones. Don't care about playing music, I'm perfectly happy carrying an iPod touch for that. I'd like it to be reliable and last me for at least two years. Having threaded text messages would be incredible.

I think I'd definitely get in to all the apps stuff if I had a smartphone, like having a little swiss army knife in my pocket. I have no idea what operating system is best for this. I had an LG Viewty ages ago and it was a steaming hunk of poo poo. I don't care at all about brand names as long as it's good.

While writing that I figured bullet points might be a better means of conveying information:

- Country: Ireland (can return to the UK to buy phone if cheaper)
- Never exceed more than 350 texts or 200 minutes a month
- Wouldn't mind skype utility, providing I can use it to make cheap international calls to non-skype lines (this is cheaper right?)
- No interest whatsoever in taking photos or videos
- Would really enjoy unlimited internet use
- Has to have a keyboard, unless god himself designed the touch screen interface
- A relatively good browser
- Wifi capability
- Excellent processor with multitasking capabilities
- Don't care about external audio quality providing phone calls are good
- Don't care about ring tones or music playing abilities
- Don't care about video calls
- Threaded text messages would be great
- Reliable, lasts at least two to three years.
- The extent of videos being watched on it would be vimeo/youtube
- Would like access to lots of different apps (especially gmail, google maps, facebook, twitter, youtube)
- Nothing like an LG viewty in any way.
- Good battery life. Recharging it once every 48 hours wouldn't annoy me.
- Not looking poo poo would be a plus, but I want functionality

That's about it. Since the last time I bought a phone like this was around 2007-2008 I'm way behind with all the technical know how, operating systems, androids, apps etc... I have no idea if the price range I gave is within the ball park for what I've asked you to help me find. Yep, I'm pretty much clueless. Help me. Thanks.

~edit: Added wifi. Also - it seems the vast majority of all the bill plans in Ireland limit internet usage to 1GB; can someone put this level of daily usage in context for me?

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 29, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

kalibar posted:

I missed the "on contract" part of his post originally. The Nexus isn't a bad phone, and if it's reasonably priced used, it would be a good upgrade from the Optimus.

No way I put the Nexus up against the 3D or Photon on a new contract. Slower, only 512MB RAM, smaller screen, lower resolution, no SD card. The 3D is easily faster than the Nexus S, and even though Sense 3 is large in disk usage, it runs very very fast. I don't have much hands-on time with the Photon, so I can't give a good account of its performance, but there have been good reviews of it in the Sprint thread.

The 3D also has guaranteed root/unlock going forward, so it's a good choice for power users and should keep good aftermarket support as well.

The gimped HTC bluetooth stack is about the only minor gripe I have of the 3D right now. Others may have something else that bugs them, but that's the only thing I would change right now.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

900ftjesus posted:

The gimped HTC bluetooth stack is about the only minor gripe I have of the 3D right now. Others may have something else that bugs them, but that's the only thing I would change right now.
Is it gimped beyond lacking L2CAP (wiimote) support?

Kathandrion
Jul 10, 2009
I bought a (probably hot) Optimus off brand new in the bag for 100 bucks and went with Virgin Mobile for service, based soley on the recommenedations given to me in this thread.

After only a week and a half with Android, I couldn't be happier both with the service and the phone. If only I hadn't waited so long to upgrade to a smart phone!

Thanks, goons :)

Next I just need to do some research into rooting it.

Any important apps I should be aware of?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Entropy238 posted:

Yep, I'm pretty much clueless. Help me.
For being "pretty much clueless" you have a fairly complete list of your desirables. Sadly there's no single device that will meet your demands, but I'll try to narrow it down.

iOS (iPhone) and Android devices are the two mostly to look at. Windows Phone 7 is an option, but it's the latecomer to the party and its app ecosystem isn't as well developed as the others. In general, iPhone is the most popular single device out there with a huge app catalog, but it lacks customization options--both in terms of there being a single iPhone device, and the OS being somewhat locked down. With Android there's a plethora of options for devices themselves, and even on a device, third-party software to make it fit like a glove. I wouldn't immediately discount the iPhone, but Android is probably the direction you're going in both for customization, and also for the superior tie-in to Google services.

As for hardware keyboards, yes, they're strictly superior for typing out long emails, documents, and things you typically don't use your phone for anyways. Most phones, including the newest that satisfy your other desires are touchscreen-only. If you had to get a hardware keyboard phone, the HTC Desire Z is really your only option, and it's a bit dated at this point.

The good news it that on-screen keyboards are quite good these days, even superior for one-handed writing of short messages like SMSes, short emails, Twitter poo poo, or whatever. If you have medium to large hands, you'll want a 4.0" screen at least, quite possibly 4.3"-4.5" as those are much easier to type on. Also, with Android, there's a bunch of on-screen keyboard options. In addition to the quite-good Gingerbread keyboard (which comes on most Gingerbread Android phones, but if not, it's downloadable), some folks swear by Swype (which has a strange sales model whereby it can only be had by purchasing a phone with it preinstalled, or registering for the beta), while some other folks really like SwiftKey X. Anyways, the point is there's a lot options so you should be able to find something that works for you.

Now, for actual phones, the two really to consider is the HTC Sensation and Samsung Galaxy S II. They're the top-end devices available right now, and are by far the best performing devices and will last you the longest of the current crop. Folks here are pretty divided between which of the two is "best", so you really have to look and decide for yourself. Personally, I think the SGSII has a better (if slightly lower resolution) screen, but I'd put my money on HTC for updating the Sensation sooner and supporting it longer.

If those are just out of your price range, also consider the Google Nexus S, HTC Incredible S, possibly the HTC Desire S. The advantage to the Nexus S is that it's Google's current developer prototype phone, so it gets Android updates first. The downside is that the hardware is a bit dated compared to the latest offerings, and Google is likely to release a new Nexus device by year's end.

Some other notes:

The main difference between Android phones from different manufacturers, aside from hardware specs, is the UI that comes on the phone. The Nexus devices ship with the "vanilla"/AOSP Android UI, whereas HTC has their custom Sense UI and Samsung has TouchWiz. The latest iterations of each are pretty good, with folks probably preferring Sense the best overall. If you don't really like any of them, most of the UI enhancements can be rid of with third party launchers, and the rest by running custom ROMs (e.g., CyanogenMod, if you're into that kind of thing).

A 48 hour battery life is essentially impossible on a modern smartphone. An iPhone probably gets the best battery life overall. On a modern Android device, you're lucky to make it through an entire day, and will have to charge every night. Some phones have better battery life than others, both the Sensation and SGSII are on the "reasonable" side of battery life, but being big-honkin'-phones, it's not going to be spectacular. Actual battery life depends on use throughout the day, and you can extend it considerably by disabling auto-syncing apps or turning down the sync interval, disabling data when you don't need it, that kind of thing. There's also third party apps to do all the above for you.

Skype is available for Android and you can make free to-Skype calls and cheap international calls with it. I've never used the Android client, but my understanding is that 3G data latency renders Skype (and any other VoIP method) pretty useless. If you can call your folks while in range of WiFi though, it should work.

1 GB data/mo should be sufficient for most of your browsing needs, especially if you have WiFi at home, and possibly at work. It's generally insufficient for any kind of streaming, so don't use YouTube, Pandora, or whatever unless you're on WiFi. Also, looking at photos on Facebook for hours every day will consume a good amount of data, so if you are having problems with hitting your data quota, that's something to cut back on.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 29, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is it gimped beyond lacking L2CAP (wiimote) support?

Not that I know of, just my only minor gripe I can't find a way to fix without going to CM7.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Incredible Post

Thanks so much: this is a great help. From amazon UK at the minute the Sim Free prices are as follows:

Galaxy S2: £457
HTC Sensation: £390
HTC Incredible: £354
HTC Desire S: £310
Samsung Google Nexus S: £306

I've checked the camelizer charts from amazon and the prices seem to be relatively stable at the moment and shouldn't go up by the time I've decided to order (probably a week or so). I guess from these prices the HTC Sensation seems the fairest bet.

Irish prices for mobile phone services are absolutely extortionate. I have the option in a lot of the packages to go for 2GB over 1GB but it's still ridiculously expensive. I guess that isn't going to make a world of difference. I'll shop around on the various websites to see what I can come up with.

Thanks again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

•Country/Provider: USA

•Current contract status: None.

•Budget (phone/plan): Good quality phone, cheap plan.

•Features I know I want: I've worked in a call center for a few years and have no intention of being on the phone much so it will get limited usage. Some SMS and MMS (will be on the receiving end of these, mostly).