Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Question: It says it's a double exp weekend? I don't seem to be getting double?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Double exp weekend isn't starting until 11:59PM PST tonight.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I was thinking today was Saturday for some reason.

tnt1106
Jan 13, 2011
https://www.shardsofdalaya.com

Site down for anyone else?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Down for me, which blows because I reformatted and need the patcher. :(

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Do I have to own a copy of everquest to play this. I didn't see a DL link in the OP so I am curious

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Do I have to own a copy of everquest to play this. I didn't see a DL link in the OP so I am curious

You can use pirated files since they don't do a CD check or anything server side for dalaya, I am sure plenty of people do. I didn't buy a CD for EQ after planes of power it was all downloaded, so I'm sure you can guess how I got it installed for SoD.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Do not mention warez in game, they crack down on that.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Oh sorry I wasnt trying to mention warez, I just wasnt sure if they hosted a private server distribution of it. Like so many people have done with ragnarok and other games.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Nevermind, I think I was less ready to handle a 12 year old game than I thought I was.

piL fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 2, 2011

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
We do not check if your files are legitimate or not in any way. A downloaded copy will work as well as a purchased copy.

At the same time we of course encourage people to buy the game. This is not only for legal reasons but also because we are basically making an entire game based off someone elses client software and those people deserve *something* for that. That being said I would not condemn anyone who downloaded it just do not go bragging about it in game.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I was playing some this weekend but I am having a real hard time tabbing between windows. When I try the window I tab into wont let me use the keyboard. I have to hit Alt w 2 times to get the keyboard to work again and that doesn't always work.

I have decided I'm just going to play 1 account and use a class that can solo well.

I have a Necro so I might use that but I was wondering what else is really good for soloing on SoD. I was thinking I might want to try Beastlord since I have never played one but wanted to hear what you guys think are some of the best solo classes?

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Open your eqw.ini file (in Everquest/ewq) and change the EQWSwitch= to ` or something reasonable. You won't get alt bugged all the time that way and you'll also save your wrist some grief.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Fun fact: Having num lock off will often prevent alt lock. Rebind your autowalk key if its num lock.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Clinton1011 posted:

I was playing some this weekend but I am having a real hard time tabbing between windows. When I try the window I tab into wont let me use the keyboard. I have to hit Alt w 2 times to get the keyboard to work again and that doesn't always work.

I have decided I'm just going to play 1 account and use a class that can solo well.

I have a Necro so I might use that but I was wondering what else is really good for soloing on SoD. I was thinking I might want to try Beastlord since I have never played one but wanted to hear what you guys think are some of the best solo classes?

Also a solo class like a necro is going to have a harder time once you get to the top end, since there's about a billion of them running around since they are easy to solo to a high level. If you enjoy a necro, by all means play a necro, just a small warning for you.

Also, boxing is definitely the best way to level up, since it was next to impossible to find a group, I think I grouped maybe 4-5 times before 50, and hten I still duoed from 50-60. Now at 60+ I'm actually having to drop my box shaman to get groups, but that's fine since the monk is what I mainly want to play and the shaman is there to duo/fill slots in groups when needed, and the monk is what needs gear so he can tank for the duo.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Clinton1011 posted:

Necros are fairly overpopulated and stuff tends to die fast in XP groups so the dots aren't as effective. Beastlords are great utility though with some okay buffs, a slow and a pet that can welfare offtank. Paragon is also nice early on when your healers aren't running around with 10+ Flowing Thought.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Alright, I'm playing this game. I'm a manly manly barbarian rogue by the name of Ludvigs. Is there a goon guild I should be joining?

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

piL posted:

Alright, I'm playing this game. I'm a manly manly barbarian rogue by the name of Ludvigs. Is there a goon guild I should be joining?

The newbie guild that you start in can answer a lot of questions but so can OOC so I guess it wouldn't be that bad to leave right away. The goon guild name is Goon Squad I think. I logged into my necro to look for items and saw 5-7 people on so it seems they have active members.

I also mad a manly man barbian, I think I named him Gorp even though thats more of a Troll or Ogre name but I like short names.

rosebud
Nov 9, 2004
no.
I made a Pal/Dru combo to try out, Feyan and Uane, looking for got an invite.

rosebud fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 11, 2011

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

Hello Nublia, Mrens and my dual box Shaman Neuw would love an invite.

Thank You.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
Hello I'm here for the free population

And just how friendly are they? I don't want to get in over my head.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Extremely friendly.

Except Xarath but that's a whole other story.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I was told to post in the thread in games, so I am doing this. Ran across a goon, and am glad there are others here.

Character is Ithamar.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
Sometimes I have a problem with the graphics, can anyone shed some light on it?

Sometimes I will fall through the elevator in Kelethin, and sometimes I will move so slow mobs will kill me really quick. Sometimes I will move super fast. Sometimes the physics messes up and i fall "through the world". Sometimes the graphics glitch and it looks like that Goldeneye video where everyone scrambles around. Is this just simple packet lag? Or is there a remedy someone knows of because they've experienced it similar?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

MageMage posted:

Sometimes I have a problem with the graphics, can anyone shed some light on it?

Sometimes I will fall through the elevator in Kelethin, and sometimes I will move so slow mobs will kill me really quick. Sometimes I will move super fast. Sometimes the physics messes up and i fall "through the world". Sometimes the graphics glitch and it looks like that Goldeneye video where everyone scrambles around. Is this just simple packet lag? Or is there a remedy someone knows of because they've experienced it similar?

When you hit the launcher, turn on 'bind to processor'. EQ has some extremely goofy interaction with multiple cores.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Stanos posted:

When you hit the launcher, turn on 'bind to processor'. EQ has some extremely goofy interaction with multiple cores.

Oh my god I could kiss you! Thank you!

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Even the goons are uncharacteristically nice in this game, it's an uh nice change.

Having fun with Phaera and Ithamar, got to 11 as a cleric on Phaera before rolling a druid instead and then doing the main quest's first few steps for something like 200k experience and shot to 15 before quitting for the night.

Thanks for the invites to the GS, and all the advice and help so far. Having never really played EQ and not knowing how it works in live, how does one...get armor? I've got some poo poo leather, but are there quests or somesuch near level 15 I should be doing? Or am I relying on drops?

Also, gotta commend the writing. I like the lore, and the quest writing is excellent.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 20, 2011

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

There are some weapon/armor drops from low level zones, but they're pretty mediocre. The quality of loot really ramps up exponentially once you get to around level 50 and can tackle some higher level zones.

Goons are generally pretty willing to help get newbies going with some equipment. Feel free to ask in guildchat if anyone has any extra stuff sitting around in their bank. I'm only level 42 at the moment, but if I come across any decent items for a druid, I'll send them your way.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Squiggle posted:

Even the goons are uncharacteristically nice in this game, it's an uh nice change.

Having fun with Phaera and Ithamar, got to 11 as a cleric on Phaera before rolling a druid instead and then doing the main quest's first few steps for something like 200k experience and shot to 15 before quitting for the night.

Thanks for the invites to the GS, and all the advice and help so far. Having never really played EQ and not knowing how it works in live, how does one...get armor? I've got some poo poo leather, but are there quests or somesuch near level 15 I should be doing? Or am I relying on drops?

Also, gotta commend the writing. I like the lore, and the quest writing is excellent.

There's some decent gear here and there and for the most part as a caster you can get away with poo poo gear until the 50s at least. Some extra mana is nice but you could roll around in soft leather (drops from the warrens) for a long time. There's some crafted armor that will run you about 100pp per piece but it's minor really. Treasure maps can be good but a pain in the rear end sometimes. Keep an eye out for people forming groups for adepts around your level, they drop great gear that'll grow with you.

Around 30ish, start your starfall quests which will give you some nice items.

If you're boxing, you can also do dungeons and get decent items from there too. I did druid/warrior and it worked well enough.

Bandwidth Wagon
Nov 14, 2002

The E-Wagon of the I-Future
Dungeons will get you some upgrades here and there, but the best way probably is to just save your plat and look for good deals on the listing system. People will sell low-level gear all day long for just above merchant prices just to get rid of it. Like has been said though, you can pretty much get away with garbage gear until the 50s, and you wont even really start to see gear worth wearing until the 30s anyway.

rosebud
Nov 9, 2004
no.
The game server (or login server?) and web site seem to be down, forums too slow to load. Any info about what's up?

rosebud fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 22, 2011

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
Our linux webserver is having some problems. I am handling them now.

The game itself is still up though.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I rolled a Gnome SK (SK is still needed right? D:)

Edit: stupid question removed.

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 22, 2011

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
All fixed. Our network card went kaput.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
Our old banner is old. Anyone who comes up with a new one I will totally use it!

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Also while it is best to make whatever character you will have most fun, I don't think we have a mained enchanter, beastlord, or druid. We are also pretty covered on tank classes. But really make whatever because if you dont like the class you wont get to 65 in the first place.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have a 65 gnome necro and a 57 gnome SK that I would be willing to let someone use/have. Necro is stripped, SK has gear but probably well below his level. Let me know.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
Is there anywhere I can download the EQ client to try this out? I played raid level EQ from vanilla through PoP and thenquit after Quarm because I felt like there was nothing left for me to accomplish in the game. I'm burnt out on just about everything else as well, so this might refresh me in the MMO sense.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
There are many places to download EQ - if you want a legal option Steam has a compatible client for 20 bucks or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Tash posted:

There are many places to download EQ - if you want a legal option Steam has a compatible client for 20 bucks or so.

There's not a downloadable trial or anything I could use to jump on SoD? Welp - there goes that.

• Locked thread