Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010
I wasn't sure if this should go in the book barn or not, but I'm looking for some good reading music. Specifically, music without words, or words in a language I can't understand so I don't get mixed up while reading.

Right now I listen to a lot of soundtracks. Ennio Morricone and Lisa Gerrard are a few examples.

Something like John Williams is a bit too bombastic. I'm looking for more mellow, evocative music. I tried getting into classical, but I found most of it to be a bit too, I guess stodgy would be the right word. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I want to buy the first two Duran Duran albums but there are so many versions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duran_Duran_%281981_album%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_(album)

My first inkling is leaning toward these versions because they're both released in the last decade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DURAN-DURAN-DURAN-DURAN-REMASTERED-CD-/290562788510?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item43a6e44c9e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rio-ECD-Duran-Duran-CD-Jul-2001-Capitol-EMI-/380363780718?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item588f72b26e

Is there any reason I should be dissuaded from these?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Pokeylope posted:

Something like John Williams is a bit too bombastic. I'm looking for more mellow, evocative music. I tried getting into classical, but I found most of it to be a bit too, I guess stodgy would be the right word. Any suggestions?

Try Music for Airports, by Brian Eno.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

anaaki posted:

Two requests:

1) I like bands like The Rocket Summer, Relient K, Fun, The Morning Light, Steel Train.... bands that write and play their own music, but are more towards the pop side of rock music. I DON'T like the nasaly emo voice or processed voices. Just fun rock pop music. Someone has suggested Mumford and Sons but aside from "Little Lion Man" they seem a little mellow.

There are only a couple of bands I listen to that I think fall far more under the "pop" side of rock than anything else I listen to (I'm normally a metal guy myself, but sometimes I like a change :shobon: ), but I really like them, and to my knowledge, they're not exactly huge and mainstream (well, maybe the one is), so maybe you haven't listened to them yet. Then again, maybe the fact that these aren't normally my kind of music means I just don't know how popular they are or aren't, so if they're really popular and you know all about them, just ignore me :)

First, The Airborne Toxic Event which I discovered through a friend and have met twice. They're awesome guys, and they play some fun stuff; they also play a lot of heartfelt music that has genuine meaning to them. I really love the way they incorporate strings into a lot of their music, too.

The other, which is probably much more well-known, is Neon Trees. If you can ignore the singer's dumb haircut, they have some good, fun pop-y music.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I've been digging Regina Spektor lately, both the vocals/overall sound and the general content of her songs. Where are some good places to go from her to get more like this or at least evocative of it? Specifically, her vocal style appeals to me, but I'll take any recommendations.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Pokeylope posted:

Try modern classical like Johann Johannsson, I really like Fordlandia and IBM 1401: A User's Manual

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Pokeylope posted:

Seconding Music for Airports and IBM 1401 (I actually was going to post this one). Since you've been listening to soundtracks, give the Machinarium soundtrack a shot.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

I Love You! posted:

I've been digging Regina Spektor lately, both the vocals/overall sound and the general content of her songs. Where are some good places to go from her to get more like this or at least evocative of it? Specifically, her vocal style appeals to me, but I'll take any recommendations.

Regina has a very unique vocal and lyrical style. She's really calmed down on the weirdness on her last album though.

The only person that comes to mind as sorta similar is probably Joanna Newsom. She plays the harp, but the vocal sensibility is similar.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

the Bunt posted:

Regina has a very unique vocal and lyrical style. She's really calmed down on the weirdness on her last album though.

The only person that comes to mind as sorta similar is probably Joanna Newsom. She plays the harp, but the vocal sensibility is similar.

Newsom is very difficult to listen to for long periods of time since she hits the same frequencies/nerves that small children and cats use to get attention.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Newsom is very difficult to listen to for long periods of time since she hits the same frequencies/nerves that small children and cats use to get attention.

the Bunt posted:

Yeah, I've listened to her before, and came to both these conclusions, though for the life of me I could not remember her name. Will snatch up some of this since I enjoyed much of what I heard in the past.

Thanks for the help so far. Will continue to listen for suggestions.

(on that note, I do enjoy vocalists who play around with those types of frequencies, especially if they mix them in with more traditional sounds occasionally to contrast, or layer them with complex melodies. If people have suggestions in that vein, I would be quite happy to follow along).

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 30, 2011

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

I Love You! posted:

(on that note, I do enjoy vocalists who play around with those types of frequencies, especially if they mix them in with more traditional sounds occasionally to contrast, or layer them with complex melodies. If people have suggestions in that vein, I would be quite happy to follow along).

Nikaido Kazumi. stylistically, she's all over the place, and there aren't many good videos on youtube, but you can get a pretty decent taste of her weird-rear end vocals on her myspace. i particularly love this jam and the album (eeeeeel? it's from 2003, i believe) it's on.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

HateTheInternet posted:

Are there any good post-rock or mathrock bands out there with heavy emphasis on string instruments or mallet percussion? Orchestral instruments, I guess, as opposed to rock instruments.

Yndi Halda and Beast, Please Be Still are two post-rock bands that are very orchestral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VuJBCscmZI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM6isT7RXnY

The albums those songs are on are the only ones I can vouch for for either band, keep in mind.

As far as mathrock goes, it's a bit harder. I suppose the band Loom counts, but I find their use of violins to be a bit contrived; like Yellowcard something.

E: whoa I guess Loom put out some stuff other than the one album I have (Angler), so I guess I'll look into that further :)

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 30, 2011

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm kinda stuck in a rut as far as my music goes. The main thing I want from my music is passion. So much of current Indie stuff seems kinda sterile to me (plus the usual male singing voice gets on my nerves EG Bon Iyer). My favorite bands are stuff like Gogol Bordello, Mumford and Sons, Gaslight Anthem , old Bruce Springsteen and The Who. Stuff thats big energetic passionate. I'm totally great with heavy stuff as long as theres lyrics and singing not growling. Sorry if I'm being too broad.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 30, 2011

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

blakout posted:

I'm kinda stuck in a rut as far as my music goes. The main thing I want from my music is passion. So many current Indie stuff seems kinda sterile to me (plus the usual male singing voice gets on my nerves EG Bon Iyer). My favorite bands are stuff like Gogol Bordello, Mumford and Sons, Gaslight Anthem , old Bruce Springsteen and The Who. Stuff thats big energetic passionate. I'm totally great with heavy stuff as long as theres lyrics and singing not growling. Sorry if I'm being too broad.

Titus Andronicus is energetic, passionate, anthemic, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fqHr_KGPY

Also Japandroids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOoHAbnhxNI

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

"I hope you can take one alive sheriff, it would be a boom to science..."

blakout posted:

I'm kinda stuck in a rut as far as my music goes. The main thing I want from my music is passion. So much of current Indie stuff seems kinda sterile to me (plus the usual male singing voice gets on my nerves EG Bon Iyer). My favorite bands are stuff like Gogol Bordello, Mumford and Sons, Gaslight Anthem , old Bruce Springsteen and The Who. Stuff thats big energetic passionate. I'm totally great with heavy stuff as long as theres lyrics and singing not growling. Sorry if I'm being too broad.

Hey Rosetta! is a Canadian indie-ish band who's pretty good for this. Kinda similar to Mumford and Sons I guess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-y7FyUetO4

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
I've just discovered Jake Lonergan's theme from "Cowboys & Aliens". I love it, it reminds me of Mark Morgan's sountracks for the games Fallout 1&2. I think I need some more science fiction-y Western-y ambient music (I'm not a music fan, so I don't know how to describe it in more detail). Any recommendations?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Looking for French contemporary music, like you'd hear in a cafe. Something along the lines of Carla Bruni.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Does there exist any bands that sound like Mew? I've been looking for a while, but they don't really fit into a genre and no one else I've heard sound even remotely like them.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

HateTheInternet posted:

Are there any good post-rock or mathrock bands out there with heavy emphasis on string instruments or mallet percussion? Orchestral instruments, I guess, as opposed to rock instruments.

I would say that Amiina and Esmerine are what you're looking for - Amiina use a lot of glockenspiel, glass harp, bells, violins and other riff-raff, Esmerine is mainly marimba / cello. Later on you can take a look at Bell Orchestre (a lot of bells, trumpets, cellos), older Efterklang, Dirty Three (violin, electric guitar, percussion), Balmorhea (guitars, cello, violin, banjo, drums), Black Ox Orkestar in that order, and if you grow bored I can recommend more.

I Love You! posted:

I've grown fond of Laura Veirs, and I must say that she plays similarly with her voice, maybe Emiliana Torrini - although she sounds definitely bjorkish.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Hooplah posted:

Does there exist any bands that sound like Mew? I've been looking for a while, but they don't really fit into a genre and no one else I've heard sound even remotely like them.

I love Mew, and they're frustratingly quite unique, as far as I know.

The closest I could recommend would maybe be Gazpacho as they have a similar blend of moodiness and angelic vocals, but they have more of a post-rock and progressive rock influence that you may or may not like.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

blakout posted:

I like this in my music too and the recommendations so far haven't scratched the itch so I thought I'd throw in Buckcherry as one band that does this for me, at least their first album. Here's a track that would be unexceptional without that energy, but to me is amazing because of it, especially the bridge.

Buckcherry - Check Your Head http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Hng802lPo&ob=av2e

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I like Buckcherry as well not high art by any means but its clear they're having a great time.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I posted this a while ago, but no response. I'm looking for pop-punk that sounds similar to Screeching Weasel and The Queers. Last.fm always ends up spitting stuff at me that's too "hardcore" for my liking.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

The Marked Men, The Spits, Mean Jeans, The Lillingtons, The Copyrights, Discount, Beat Beat Beat, Fifteen, Chixdiggit, The Briefs, The Epoxies, Clorox Girls, The Cute Lepers, The Mr. T Experience, The Ergs, Teenage Bottlerocket. The Riverdales and The Methadones kind of go without saying, too, but I'll put them down in case they passed you by somehow.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 31, 2011

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
Someone mentioned tastes similar to mine before and got Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire which really isn't similar to what I'm looking for besides the fact that some of it is swing. I hate indie rock, if it matters.

I really like Caravan Palace (Link, link), which is best described as 'Electroswing'. I also really enjoyed the Analogik album that I got ahold of. Here's a track that most exemplifies the kind of thing I like.
link.

Anyone got some recommendations? I'm also looking for recommendations of just very melodic, upbeat electronic music. It's really hard to find music that really fits right into my comfort zone, though. Some stuff just doesn't quite hit the spot.

I also really like anything by Pogo on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/user/Fagottron), though the only thing I could find that was similar that I liked was Sleepyhead by Passion Pit.

melon man
Aug 24, 2008

melonman-chan~!
Could somebody recommend me some french/electro house or whatever you want to call it? I think I've been through most of the basics. Here's my last.fm http://www.last.fm/user/m4ttii

E: Guess I might as well elaborate on my tastes a little for those without a last.fm profile: I've listened to Bloody Beetroots, Etienne de Crecy, Daft Punk, Kavinksy, DANGER, Justice, Siriusmo, Boys Noize, Mord Fustang, SebastiAn, SymbolOne, Mr. Oizo, Vitalic, Cyberpunkers, Teenage Bad Girl, Krazy Baldhead, Rex the Dog and Fukkk Offf.

melon man fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 1, 2011

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

dailydares posted:

The Marked Men, The Spits, Mean Jeans, The Lillingtons, The Copyrights, Discount, Beat Beat Beat, Fifteen, Chixdiggit, The Briefs, The Epoxies, Clorox Girls, The Cute Lepers, The Mr. T Experience, The Ergs, Teenage Bottlerocket. The Riverdales and The Methadones kind of go without saying, too, but I'll put them down in case they passed you by somehow.

Thanks for this. I recognize a handful of these, and I'll dig through the rest later on today.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Lavender Philtrum posted:

I really like Caravan Palace (Link, link), which is best described as 'Electroswing'. I also really enjoyed the Analogik album that I got ahold of. Here's a track that most exemplifies the kind of thing I like.
link.

You should check out Parov Stelar - he tends to go more in the direction of electronica, than swing, but I find his work enjoyable. You can also take a look at Waldeck - his work is more trip-hop / jazz, but swing is there as well.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Someone mentioned tastes similar to mine before and got Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire which really isn't similar to what I'm looking for besides the fact that some of it is swing. I hate indie rock, if it matters.

link.

Anyone got some recommendations? I'm also looking for recommendations of just very melodic, upbeat electronic music. It's really hard to find music that really fits right into my comfort zone, though. Some stuff just doesn't quite hit the spot.

I also really like anything by Pogo on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/user/Fagottron), though the only thing I could find that was similar that I liked was Sleepyhead by Passion Pit.

Well here is an easy example for Electro Swing, Lyre Le Temps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIFmQiBft2Q

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I realized that I love me some P-Funk. The problem is that other than Parliament, Funkadelic, and George Clinton, I don't know where else to go to get more of this style of music.

I have currently:
George Clinton's Dope Dogs
Parliament's Mothership Connection
Funkadelic's One Nation Under A Groove

I just picked up (but haven't listened to yet):
George Clinton's Computer Games
Parliament's The Placebo Effect
Funkadelic's Uncle Jam Wants You

I also have some Fela Kuti, but it's not the same. I'm just open for more of this kind of music, but don't want to go for compilations or best-ofs.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
I know you say you're looking for more P-funk but how much of the funk staples have you explored? Isley Brothers, James Brown, Sly. That sort of thing.

Also I'm not sure why you're ruling out compilations right away, there's a lot of amazing one hit wonders on comps and 70s soundtracks. Funk was much more 45s than an album genre.

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 2, 2011

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

IUG posted:

So I realized that I love me some P-Funk. The problem is that other than Parliament, Funkadelic, and George Clinton, I don't know where else to go to get more of this style of music.

I have currently:
George Clinton's Dope Dogs
Parliament's Mothership Connection
Funkadelic's One Nation Under A Groove

I just picked up (but haven't listened to yet):
George Clinton's Computer Games
Parliament's The Placebo Effect
Funkadelic's Uncle Jam Wants You

I also have some Fela Kuti, but it's not the same. I'm just open for more of this kind of music, but don't want to go for compilations or best-ofs.

Get the Bootsy's Rubber Band albusm (there's like three, there all good though). The first Bernie Worrell album is great too. So is the first Fred Wesley joint. Explore all the solo albums really, they were all just a scheme by George to get more money, so its pretty much Parliament-Funkadelic albums under different names.

As for other Parliament-Funkadelic albums, get Electric Spanking of War Babies, Gloryhallastoopid, Clones of Doctor Funkenstein, and uh Maggot Brain for the hell of it.

For poo poo that's P-funk but not, the first couple Cameo albums, the first Zapp album, Mandre, and The JB's for historical purposes (Maceo, Fred, and bootsy were all in it)

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Can anyone recommend me some upbeat electronic music with no vocals?

I can't really elaborate, because I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. :confused:

JuancitoEfectivo
Sep 3, 2011
I need to listen to more Jungle. I heard Original Nuttah a while ago and it has become one of my favorite tracks, but jungle is so massive (sorry) that I kinda got overwhelmed. Can anyone link some youtubes? Compilations and mixtapes are welcomed too.

Thanks!

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

JuancitoEfectivo posted:

I need to listen to more Jungle. I heard Original Nuttah a while ago and it has become one of my favorite tracks, but jungle is so massive (sorry) that I kinda got overwhelmed. Can anyone link some youtubes? Compilations and mixtapes are welcomed too.

Thanks!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3344455 has tunes aplenty.

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008

blakout posted:

I would say the band Fun, mostly because I've been on a huge kick with them lately. Passion, big energy, I would pick out this song specifically: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qMXBUjm8tM

Jadz posted:

There are only a couple of bands I listen to that I think fall far more under the "pop" side of rock than anything else I listen to (I'm normally a metal guy myself, but sometimes I like a change :shobon: ), but I really like them, and to my knowledge, they're not exactly huge and mainstream (well, maybe the one is), so maybe you haven't listened to them yet. Then again, maybe the fact that these aren't normally my kind of music means I just don't know how popular they are or aren't, so if they're really popular and you know all about them, just ignore me :)

Awesome stuff, thanks! :)

anaaki fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 5, 2011

ts12
Jul 24, 2007
Where can I find more music like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTx3G6h2xyA to get really drunk and party to? not so much just mashups I guess but... like that. I don't really know just party music I guess. Sorry for being vague I'm just completely stupid when it comes to this type of music

e: is this just house music

ts12 fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 6, 2011

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Pokeylope posted:

I wasn't sure if this should go in the book barn or not, but I'm looking for some good reading music. Specifically, music without words, or words in a language I can't understand so I don't get mixed up while reading.

Right now I listen to a lot of soundtracks. Ennio Morricone and Lisa Gerrard are a few examples.

Check out Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians, John Adams' Harmonium, some John Cage works like In a Landscape, Schlingen-Blängen by Charlemagne Palestine and more or less obviously Philip Glass, maybe Music in 12 Parts.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I love instrumental conceptual albums. I need more like these:

Gustav Holst - The Planets
Johan de Meij - The Lord of the Rings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AuntJemima
Jul 22, 2007
So I've been hardcore into Daryl Hall & John Oates lately with my favorite albums being Abandoned Luncheonette and their Self Titled. So any recommendations of similar sounding music would be great! From any era doesn't have to be the 70's.

Thanks!