Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ame just confirmed the Jetpack travel power will be free.

What's going up on the C-Store is a set of jetpack costume pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Ame just confirmed the Jetpack travel power will be free.

What's going up on the C-Store is a set of jetpack costume pieces.
Huh. Well, still probably need to respec a few characters from rocket boots back to flight, unless that swaps too. But hey, net bonus there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You mean switch from Rocket Boots to Jetpack?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Alienware is currently doing a promotion similar to the one they did for STO last month.

http://www.alienwarearena.com/giveaway/champions-online-ffa-game-bundle

You get the Serpent Lantern Adventure Pack, Devastator (Heavy Weapon) archetype and Viking costume set for free.

Only useful for Silvers since those are already free for Gold.

It won't make you Gold, but hey... free stuff.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

You mean switch from Rocket Boots to Jetpack?
Er, right. :downs:

Aphrodite posted:

Only useful for Silvers since those are already free for Gold.
Weird. I guess STO didn't have a "free player" level so there wasn't really a way to encourage that, while CO does. But hey, I'm sure there's silver players reading, and free giant hammer/sword/axe guy is always handy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some more details on how Jetpack works:

Mechanically, it's Jet Boots. It uses a mix of Flight and Jet Boots animations though. It has Flight's idle animation and Sub Top Speed animation (The upright hover), Jet Boots' stop (Where you go into the Iron Man pose and rock a bit) and Jet Boots' full speed flight animation (Legs together, arms at the sides, Rocketeer style.)

It can no longer be charged. It behaves the same as Jet Boots speed/ramp up wise.

If you have a Jetpack on, it will animate. At each ramp up point, there's a cool extra burst of flame. If you do not, it still behaves the same just with no animation. It does not put the little jets on your feet that Jet Boots does in either case. Also, it makes Jetpack audio whether you use one or not.

It will be free to both Gold and Silver.

If you see Cliff, give him a pat on the back. He pushed to make this not suck for us.

Edit: Also I just checked, and Wings do still animate with Jetpack Flight. So a character could have one costume with Wings and another with a Jetpack, and with Jetpack Flight both will animate just fine (Though the Wing costume would still have Jetpack audio for the time being. Ame said they're looking into it, but it's not an easy fix since audio and FX aren't hooked up the same way.)

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 24, 2011

0x0hShit
Mar 11, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Alienware is currently doing a promotion similar to the one they did for STO last month.

Thanks, you just saved me some funny money. I was looking at the C-Store sale the other day and had my finger on the trigger of the 3 adventure packs, now it will only cost me two. Oh, and the pulp/sci-retro pack since jet packs are going to be free to silvers just as a way to say thanks to cryptic. Not that they don't already get a ton off me in STO... Ooo, new uniforms!

Question though: I know the max for 100% silvers is 2 characters. If I go gold for a month by activating a retail key, I can make additional characters correct? How many of these additional characters (assuming none are free-form) will I be able to play after returning to silver once the free 30 days lapse? What about archetypes I don't own?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I believe you'll be able to access all of them, just that the Gold ones have to be downconverted to Silvers.

Archetypes you don't own probably have to be converted, of which you only get one for free. That's probably not worth it. You're better off playing as a freeform, then dropping it down to Silver when you unsub. That's always free, I think.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

0x0hShit posted:

Question though: I know the max for 100% silvers is 2 characters. If I go gold for a month by activating a retail key, I can make additional characters correct? How many of these additional characters (assuming none are free-form) will I be able to play after returning to silver once the free 30 days lapse? What about archetypes I don't own?

My sub just ran out, so it's the perfect time for me to experiment with this.

My silver character that I converted to gold seems to be able to go back to silver with no problem, but that's because he's keeping his archetype and needs no retcon. My gold characters are all freeform, and while they can convert to Silver, they have to choose an archetype that you own, and will list have the warning:

"This conversion requires a retcon. Each character can only be retconned by the conversion system once. If you change your account's status in the future, it may prevent you from converting them again."

So that presumably applies to anyone who is changing in any meaningful way except for switching from Gold to Silver or back again.

You also only have 2 silver slots, and you cannot delete gold characters to gain more. You can buy more (for 896? Why the odds numbers all of a sudden?) The characters won't disappear (my characters were still there from 2009).

e: VVV Welp, at least it's an option.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 25, 2011

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can now pay to convert again, so it's not once only.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Magnetic North posted:

(for 896? Why the odds numbers all of a sudden?)

Most of the C-Store is on sale this week.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Jet Packs are live. Need I say more? :colbert:

Also the ranged weapon pack, which admittedly is somewhat less exciting and also not jetpacks.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
They'd better. The Noire set has a lot of awesome concepts in it. Like the pilot cap.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Nope don't want any of that birdmen first please.

Gotta get duckin'.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

FlyinPingu posted:

Nope don't want any of that birdmen first please.

Gotta get duckin'.
You can't fight the furry bloc. :negative:

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
So I just read that lifers can have a free phase 1 hideout, which means I don't have to use any of my monthly points on a hideout. Only problem is figuring out which one I want.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

Benjamin Black posted:

So I just read that lifers can have a free phase 1 hideout, which means I don't have to use any of my monthly points on a hideout. Only problem is figuring out which one I want.

Bang for the buck, I think the cave is the best, since you get several cave types (I personally love the jungle one)

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mewnie posted:

Bang for the buck, I think the cave is the best, since you get several cave types (I personally love the jungle one)
The cave type thing was a bug, but I think it's been grandfathered in, so yeah it's probably the most "generically useful" hideout for a wide variety of concepts. Both the Moonbase and Arcane Sanctum are pretty spiffy too though, if a bit more concept-limited. Sadly the basement is a bit small and lacking in customization; not entirely a surprise, but it's still at the bottom of the heap.

Personally I chose the moonbase, but this should surprise nobody. :science:

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Asimo posted:

The cave type thing was a bug, but I think it's been grandfathered in, so yeah it's probably the most "generically useful" hideout for a wide variety of concepts. Both the Moonbase and Arcane Sanctum are pretty spiffy too though, if a bit more concept-limited. Sadly the basement is a bit small and lacking in customization; not entirely a surprise, but it's still at the bottom of the heap.

Personally I chose the moonbase, but this should surprise nobody. :science:

Grandfathered in? So if I got one now would it still have cave types?

Edit: Yup.

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 27, 2011

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

ColHannibal posted:

The Direct Sandman Ripoff.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

ColHannibal posted:

Newbie question, but purchased costume packs can be applied to Nemeses too, right?

If so I am totally buying that pack to make my arch nemesis Carmen Sandiego.

Kallaisbananen
Jul 8, 2008
as far as i know i have been able to put all unlocked costume parts on my nemesis.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Rocketlex posted:

Newbie question, but purchased costume packs can be applied to Nemeses too, right?

If so I am totally buying that pack to make my arch nemesis Carmen Sandiego.

Holy poo poo, I am so stealing this idea. Carmen Sandiego practically was my childhood.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Mama's going out on the town tonight!

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I really shouldn't ask but... what powerset?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wait, level 29?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
It's amazing how a few adjustments can change how a character feels. I was using the Grimoire AT, and I just didn't feel like a superhero. I always had at least half of my health cut off if my Sigils didn't kill of everything.

All I did though was respec myself with the Aura of Radiant Protection and Circle of Primal Dominion and I hardly take any damage, even in direct conflict. I hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot by not taking Aura of Primal Majesty, but we'll see.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Okay, locking in a time slot so we can't waffle again.

Next weekend, Saturday, 8 or later server (I think 8 is DE, so probably not 8.) Server is Pacific, so that's +3 for East, +2 for Central etc. What time would be best for the most people?

Post. I need to know early so I can start advertising to get the time slot.

People who've volunteered so far are: godlovesninjas, Shr3d/ColHannibal, whaaaat, jjac, Jan, Rufus/delfin, Mewnie, and Bluhman. I may be forgetting people.

Warlocke showed interest before but I think he ran off to DCUO right now. Asimo, I don't know if you're showing up or what. The rest haven't really contributed so I assume they're not interested.

If people can contribute anything to the prize money that would be nice too. 3 people shouldn't have to fund the whole thing, especially Bluhman carrying more than half of it.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 29, 2011

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Next weekend, Saturday, 8 or later server (I think 8 is DE, so probably not 8.) Server is Pacific, so that's +3 for East, +2 for Central etc. What time would be best for the most people?
Freaking EST. Uh... 8! Or at least something before 10ish. Since I like sleeping. :psyduck:

quote:

If people can contribute anything to the prize money that would be nice too. 3 people shouldn't have to fund the whole thing, especially Bluhman carrying more than half of it.
Fine, fine, 50g! And that's my final offer! :argh: And how is this actually being organized/run, anyway?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What do you mean? I've made like a half dozen posts about it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Okay, Saturday at 8 server/8 pacific/11 east/10 central/11:30 Newfoundland. Is that good for everyone?

Current category list:

1) Lightning Round*
2) Female costume most likely to be created by a male
3) Second best clone character*
4) Costume that makes the dead pixel in the middle of my screen turn the prettiest color*
5) Costume I closed my eyes and pointed to*
6) Costume I would buy if it went on sale but not at full price*
7) Person Who Gave the Judges the Largest Bribe*
8) Largest Disconnect Between Character Name and Appearance
9) Costume that most makes me hungry for a Quizno's Chicken Carbonara sub. Combo. With the soup. All you have is broccoli cheese? Nevermind, I'll take the chips.*
10) Is that a tonfa on your belt, or are you just happy to see me?

Asterisks are just generic categories that can be anyone (Second best clone character is only one of these if there are no clones, of course. In fact I think it might be funnier if the winner for this is not a clone.)

#2 is obvious. Slutty with bad sliders. #8 is another obvious one. #10 would be something martial arts themed. There's always a ton of samurais, ninjas etc.

Lightning round has been detailed before.

For the specific categories, everyone will give their pick for that category and whoever gets the most mentions wins. If there's a tie, people who didn't choose the tied contestants will break it.

For the generic ones, I'm thinking everyone just makes a Top 5 list. 1st place gets 5 points, 2nd 4 etc. Top 6 scorers get the prizes with arbitrary designated categories.

We're also going to have Worst Costume. Still debating what the 'prize' is for that.

Edit: Order of events:

Half assed introduction.
Lightning Round.
Rules/judge introductions/etc. bad stand-up comedy part.
Judging with the musical styling of The Mariachi.
Winners.
Worst Costumer winner.

People who are judging: I need to know which character you will be using. If that character's not in Supergoons, get it in there.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 30, 2011

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
That time and date is fine by me. Presuming the anniversary event has started by then, I'll be active again, and will probably bring my L40 (Maleficia the roller derby star). Barring that, it'll be my silver Blade character, Laetitia, who has lightspeed for the lightning round at least.

I think we should pick half decent SG colours and everyone judging take the time to adapt a costume to these colours. But only if the current, horrendous magenta and lemon scheme is corrected. :colbert:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Jan posted:

That time and date is fine by me. Presuming the anniversary event has started by then, I'll be active again, and will probably bring my L40 (Maleficia the roller derby star). Barring that, it'll be my silver Blade character, Laetitia, who has lightspeed for the lightning round at least.

I think we should pick half decent SG colours and everyone judging take the time to adapt a costume to these colours. But only if the current, horrendous magenta and lemon scheme is corrected. :colbert:

I will be judging with fuzz so you better invite her.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Time and date's fine here. Not judging anyway or am I? but gonna show up with Lenin's Radioactive Brain in a suitable costume with tie anyway since he it? seems the most troll-worthy concept. Also definitely need to get him it? in the SG regardless.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's up to you. No limit on how many can.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
The only character I have in the Supergoons is Screamin' Eagle, which I guess will work alright, as soon as I transfer money over to him.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
Depresso the Clown will be there to offer his 'unique' perspective.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

If I'm able to attend I'll likely be Dunold Dock, king of kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

FlyinPingu posted:

If I'm able to attend I'll likely be Dunold Dock, king of kings.

That means I have to reroll Geefy again! :argh:

Or I could go on as Sigmund, instead.