Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.
So I still have TEP on a Touch Pro which is completely busted. This is on a $30 SERO account. What are they going to offer me when I go in for a claim, and would they be open to giving me a credit on an EVO 3D instead of a direct phone replacement? I don't mind bumping up to the $50 plan for a 4G phone, but don't want to pay $550 for the thing. Before the Touch Pro I had the Mogul, the Apache, and the Harrier before that... So excited to finally leave Windows Mobile.

enziarro fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

enziarro posted:

So I still have TEP on a Touch Pro which is completely busted. This is on a $30 SERO account. What are they going to offer me when I go in for a claim, and would they be open to giving me a credit on an EVO 3D instead of a direct phone replacement? I don't mind bumping up to the $50 plan for a 4G phone, but don't want to pay $550 for the thing. Before the Touch Pro I had the Mogul, the Apache, and the Harrier before that... So excited to finally leave Windows Mobile.

You'd probably get a TP2, and I don't think they'll offer you a credit. You could upgrade using your 2yr contract though, that's what they'll say.

enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.
Is that going to force me to take one of those contracts they offer the unwashed masses, or am I going to be able to lock in 2 years of the $50 SERO plan to upgrade? Do they even still have TP2s in stock? I didn't see them available on the Sprint site for sale, but I suppose they'd still have a bunch stocked for jerks like me. Is it going to be a wash paying a hundred dollar deductible to get a new TP2 that I'm just going to sell for the 3D?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

enziarro posted:

Is that going to force me to take one of those contracts they offer the unwashed masses, or am I going to be able to lock in 2 years of the $50 SERO plan to upgrade? Do they even still have TP2s in stock? I didn't see them available on the Sprint site for sale, but I suppose they'd still have a bunch stocked for jerks like me. Is it going to be a wash paying a hundred dollar deductible to get a new TP2 that I'm just going to sell for the 3D?

If you have a touch pro you must be eligible for an upgrade. Upgrade to evo 3D , its $199, 2 year contact, and you will be set onthe $50 plan.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
ETFs are getting bumped to the same as Verizon on Sept 9th - $350 with decreasing penalty for each month under contract. Kinda sucks but it makes sense. Need to recover subsidy losses.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Alman posted:

ETFs are getting bumped to the same as Verizon on Sept 9th - $350 with decreasing penalty for each month under contract. Kinda sucks but it makes sense. Need to recover subsidy losses.

Does that constitute a material change to the contract as well, or is it only for new contracts?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bobula posted:

Does that constitute a material change to the contract as well, or is it only for new contracts?

Gonna be for new contracts I would think, not for anyone who already signed up.

Sprint is cutting some commissions on higher end phones for dealers, kind of a bummer.

Nda phone training for sprint employees mid September. Could be anything, most manufacturers do that.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Alman posted:

Nothing to do with subsidy losses, it's the iPhone.

$200 on contract and a $200 ETF, there's still room to eBay it for $550-600 and make a decent profit. $200 + $350 kills that profit or makes it small enough to not be a great option.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

Nda phone training for sprint employees mid September. Could be anything, most manufacturers do that.

Would your NDA prevent you from confirming/denying the WSJ story in even as much as a cryptic post?

I understand the fact that an NDA with training isn't new, but the timing (WSJ article, now you're getting training, pointing towards a possible holiday release which is not the normal time for releases with Sprint) is interesting.

Caveat: I bought an ipod touch last week and have absolutely no desire to get an iPhone.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

The Entire Universe posted:

Would your NDA prevent you from confirming/denying the WSJ story in even as much as a cryptic post?

I understand the fact that an NDA with training isn't new, but the timing (WSJ article, now you're getting training, pointing towards a possible holiday release which is not the normal time for releases with Sprint) is interesting.

Caveat: I bought an ipod touch last week and have absolutely no desire to get an iPhone.

Yes, in fact -

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/08/28/sprint_advises_employees_to_give_no_comment_on_iphone_5.html

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bastards think of everything.

I just want to know if I can start really rubbing iPhone users' faces in my unlimited data, is that such a crime?

(no, seriously, between rdio and stitcher that's a lot of data I use and being able to get all :smug: "yeah, I stream podcasts" :smug: is innately satisfying.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Duckman2008 posted:

If you have a touch pro you must be eligible for an upgrade. Upgrade to evo 3D , its $199, 2 year contact, and you will be set onthe $50 plan.

I'm probably going to grab a Nexus S to replace my lovely Touch Diamond since it's gotten so cheap with a new 2 year contract. Will Sprint automatically bump me up to the $50 plan from SERO or do I need to jump through some hoops or something?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

Yeah,I technically wouldn't be able to say anything, but I currently work at a lovely mall kiosk. I am not high priority for sprint to know something like that, despite the ridiculous amount of walkups that stop and ask me. Seriously, I just want it to launch so people shutup about it.

The no comment is especially to avoid speculating and to keep sales from getting killed. Rumors are already hurting sales at least a little bit, so sprint needed to give us something to say.

Will it launch? Probably. But until apple announces it who knows. And I still think android is better (smug Smiley face).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

IRQ posted:

Will Sprint automatically bump me up to the $50 plan from SERO or do I need to jump through some hoops or something?
Call the SERO/EPRP number in the OP (866-264-1282 if I copied it right) and ask to upgrade your plan to "SERO Premium 500, immediately", which runs $40/mo. The "immediately" part means you want the plan change effective now instead of at the end of your current billing cycle.

Then pull up your Sprint account online and confirm you have "SERO Premium 500" listed under your plan. Then find the "upgrade my phone" option somewhere (I hate Sprint's site), order the Nexus S 4G, and they'll overnight ship it to you. When purchasing the phone you'll see something about having to add "Premium data" for $10/mo, which is where the $50/mo total comes from.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I just read that HTC is releasing not only a white 3D but a purple 3D plus other colors to come in the future. While I didn't like the look of the purple there is nothing wrong with choice and I'm glad HTC is stepping out of the box with their designs

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I'm glad HTC is stepping out of the closet :laugh:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

I just read that HTC is releasing not only a white 3D but a purple 3D plus other colors to come in the future. While I didn't like the look of the purple there is nothing wrong with choice and I'm glad HTC is stepping out of the box with their designs

The colors drive me nuts solely because Radioshack/Best Buy always buy a limited time exclusive on them, so I lose customers based off of the drat color (or have to give away a free white case, which is irritating). For everyone else though this is good.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

So what can you tell me about the new Sprint iPhone? :v:

I honestly don't even care.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

So what can you tell me about the new Sprint iPhone? :v:

I honestly don't even care.

Next person who says this I will kill :)

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Would you say it is a good time to invest in Sprint stock?

Yes/No/Sex?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Next person who says this I will kill :)

I'm working on the assumption that it is coming, but more than caring about the launch of the phone itself, I'm worried about Sprint's network and my unlimited datas. Even if this Network Vision poo poo gets done, can Sprint handle an onslaught of new iPhone users?

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

TLG James posted:

Would you say it is a good time to invest in Sprint stock?

Yes/No/Sex?

This place is like a goddamn landmine field for Sprint employees

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Thanks for the inside information, buying a 1,000 shares tomorrow.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

brc64 posted:

Even if this Network Vision poo poo gets done, can Sprint handle an onslaught of new iPhone users?
Is there really going to be an "onslaught" here?

At least since the Evo came out last year, Android has easily been competitive with iPhone in regard to data-hungry applications, so it's not Android to iPhone folks I'm worried about.

I'm sure Verizon saw a fairly significant increase in data plan subscribers from folks holding out with dumbphones that couldn't justify the $30/mo price tag, but are there that many folks on Sprint non-data plans that are going to jump to a data tier now? There's also the whole family-plan-must-jump-all-at-once issue.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

I'm working on the assumption that it is coming, but more than caring about the launch of the phone itself, I'm worried about Sprint's network and my unlimited datas. Even if this Network Vision poo poo gets done, can Sprint handle an onslaught of new iPhone users?

Sprint is already getting hammered, iPhone obviously will hurt a bit more but it won't be THAT bad. The good thing is Sprint's being very adamant about taking measures to focus money on assets it sees as valuable:

-simple easy unlimited plans
-tower independence
-Customer Service
-Competitive devices

And basically Sprint taking money away from not important areas and focusing on those areas. Like the cut in dealer commissions is to subsidize the higher end instant rebate devices.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Yay! Now we get to speculate about something else Sprint-related until OCTOBER 7th -

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/29/sprint-strategy-update-coming-on-october-7th-significant-4g-plan/

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint is already getting hammered, iPhone obviously will hurt a bit more but it won't be THAT bad. The good thing is Sprint's being very adamant about taking measures to focus money on assets it sees as valuable:

-simple easy unlimited plans
-tower independence
-Customer Service
-Competitive devices

And basically Sprint taking money away from not important areas and focusing on those areas. Like the cut in dealer commissions is to subsidize the higher end instant rebate devices.
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere at some point (I'm all about dropping facts and sourcing) that Android devices in general use more data than iOS devices?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Ozmodiar posted:

Yay! Now we get to speculate about something else Sprint-related until OCTOBER 7th -

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/29/sprint-strategy-update-coming-on-october-7th-significant-4g-plan/

Isn't Oct 7th the same day as the Apple conference, supposedly the day they'll reveal the scoop on iPhone 5 :tinfoil:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DNK posted:

Isn't Oct 7th the same day as the Apple conference, supposedly the day they'll reveal the scoop on iPhone 5 :tinfoil:

I would die laughing if after all these rumors sprint has a big conference to release their new flagship phone: the Echo 2. I would also quit immediately haha.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is there really going to be an "onslaught" here?
If the pricing and unlimited terms are extended to the iPhone? I could see that drawing a lot of attention.

Ozmodiar posted:

I hope it's a quad screen Echo 2!

Duckman2008 posted:

I would die laughing if after all these rumors sprint has a big conference to release their new flagship phone: the Echo 2. I would also quit immediately haha.
gently caress, beaten!

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Duckman2008 posted:

I saw a comment on that Engadget article:

It should be called the Kyocera Echo (Echo) :laffo:

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
How do I get this stupid $5 Spending Limit fee off my account? I have an ounce of self control, I do not need to worry about maxing out my credit on 99cent apps. I rarely even use non-free stuff anyway.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

FlyingCheese posted:

How do I get this stupid $5 Spending Limit fee off my account? I have an ounce of self control, I do not need to worry about maxing out my credit on 99cent apps. I rarely even use non-free stuff anyway.

Auto-Pay

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Alman posted:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere at some point (I'm all about dropping facts and sourcing) that Android devices in general use more data than iOS devices?
You mean based on usage habits of the average device owner? Or that Android inherently uses more background data?

I could believe both points. As for any inherent, increased background data usage of Android (for things like widget updates, syncs, etc.) it'll be vastly outweighed by streaming content. So unless Android YouTube is pulling 720p by default for some reason, it really just comes down to usage habits.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You mean based on usage habits of the average device owner? Or that Android inherently uses more background data?
Nerds use android, nerds use data.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Is there a way to get Sprint Android phones on Boost Mobile without ESN cloning?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I could believe both points. As for any inherent, increased background data usage of Android (for things like widget updates, syncs, etc.) it'll be vastly outweighed by streaming content. So unless Android YouTube is pulling 720p by default for some reason, it really just comes down to usage habits.

WoG posted:

Nerds use android, nerds use data.

I think these are both likely to be true to some extent.

Android is, for lack of a better description, a cloud based OS. Nearly everything you do on it is pulled from the internet or synced to a server somewhere.

Also, I think that WoG is kind of correct too that people who are more tech savvy are more likely to use Android over iOS for various reasons. And the more tech savvy someone is, the more data they are likely to use as well.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.
Look up the customer satisfaction polls of AT&T (Cingular) before, during and after the iPhone exclusivity period.

They were DEAD LAST in customer satisfaction, EVERY TIME, since the BEGINNING OF TIME. AT&T has always been poo poo. Always.

As much as I'd like to blame Apple or iPhone users, this is all manufactured idiocy. It's always been AT&T's fault.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

Midget is correct with auto pay, FYI with 18 months of consistent bill payment it goes away. Do auto bill and it will solve itself.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is there a way to get Sprint Android phones on Boost Mobile without ESN cloning?

Unfortunately no, for both virgin and boost it is whatever they allow, just like sprint and Verizon. And the rule is all that is allowed is branded devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Duckman2008 posted:

Midget is correct with auto pay, FYI with 18 months of consistent bill payment it goes away. Do auto bill and it will solve itself.

Gah, is there really no other way to take it off? I do a lot of freelance work so knowing when I'll have that much money in my account ahead of time isn't always feasible and I'd rather not get overdrafted because of bad autopay timing.