Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIr_Lienad
Aug 17, 2011

Furthering my education in stupidity, one day at a time.
Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

It's still pretty square, but it's a nice little house and I'm pretty proud of it.
Green wood is just texture-packed green wool.

The only issue I see with that house is a lightning strike. That house is gonna burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

SIr_Lienad posted:

The only issue I see with that house is a lightning strike. That house is gonna burn.

Wait, there is actual lightning? I thought it was just an effect on the skybox...

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

A Sassy Dog posted:

I hope that Shadow of Israphel or possibly the next season of Minecraft, a Yogscast series picks up some story arc[s] with the dwarf city they're about to visit in the next episode of Israphel (Irondeep? Deepiron? Deepholm? Holmdeep? I'm getting things mixed up. :saddowns:) and maybe the Skylords. Perhaps something war-related or more complex than the good-vs-evil story we have in Israphel. It'd also be sick if their new Skylord titles would come with airships a la the custom airship mod instead of just goggles - don't get me wrong, the goggles are great, too.

I'm sure that SoI will do all kinds of nifty things, if they can find the mods that support it. It blew my mind when they suddenly hauled out planes and flew to Skyholm.

If they could find some cool digging mod for Dwergholme, it would be the bee's knees. Like that mod that would lift an entire chunk of blocks and refine it. That was awesome!

SIr_Lienad
Aug 17, 2011

Furthering my education in stupidity, one day at a time.
Fun Shoe

EightBit posted:

Wait, there is actual lightning? I thought it was just an effect on the skybox...

Lightning creates fire where it strikes if you are playing on Normal mode or harder. The accompanying rain can usually put out fires before they spread. Overhangs can prevent rain from putting out lightning fires, allowing the fire to spread. If the player is playing on Peaceful or Easy, no fire will be created by lightning strikes.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

EightBit posted:

Hell yeah there's actual lightning, if it strikes a pig they spontaneously evolve into a Pigman!

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

What follows is a pretty hardcore sperg. But I made a special effort to make it really smooth and readable.

So as soon as the Adventure Update(s) have arrived and the big mods have updated, I want to start working on a mod to make minecraft more challenging, but also to make it feel more like what you're doing has a point. It would be called "Masochistic Minecraft" because I don't like to be coy.
My goal is twofold (EDIT: threefold). First, I want to give players new challenges, but not "Surprise Challenges," which are Minecraft's (and it's mods') bread and butter. Instead, these would be challenges for which the player would be given fair warning, an opportunity to prepare (even grind), and in some cases, the ability to decide where and when they happen.
Secondly, while I appreciate the numerous attempts at creating an endgame to Minecraft, many of them involve endlessly digging around for some rare thing, be it a gem or a dungeon. They can end up being boring and frustrating, and I'd prefer an endgame that involves more gameplay variety and doesn't involve as much luck.
EDIT: My last goal is that I don't to give Minecraft more stuff if I don't have to. Minecraft's got plenty of stuff, and I think this trend is only going to worsen as people pressure Notch to implement their silly ideas.

• Useful railways - Minecart tracks are now both a critical and convenient game element.
    • All minecarts are self-powering, like in Minecart Mania.
    • Minecart Stations - By building a rail piece with gravel in the empty space, you can make a Station, which act as a warp point. Simply place the Station down, and right click on it to name it (as with a sign). Then whenever you are in a Minecart on the same railway, you can type the command "/station [name]" to warp to that station.
    • Rails are now MUCH cheaper. Crafting gives you 64 tracks where you previously only got 16.
    • But this comes with a number of tweaks that make tracks essential to your success (see Difficulty).

• Difficulty - Minecraft is now fraught with many more obstacles, dangers, and risks.
    • Torches die out over time and need to be re-lit (see New Lights).
    • The player's inventory is now much smaller, and based on weight. Most notably, players cannot carry as many raw materials (see Bosses).
      • To compensate for this, pressing delete while holding something will make you destroy it in a puff of smoke. I'm considering making it so that doing this gives you a temporary buff to your attack power (See Bosses).
    • When you die, the location of your death will spawn a Dungeon. The Chest inside will contain all your belongings.
    • When you die in the Nether, the gate you built will disappear. All your belongings will be moved to a chest, and all Zombie Pigmen in the vicinity will become hostile to you.
    • Furnaces and fires create a steady stream of smoke which can flood interiors and kill you if you don't create ventilation shafts.
    • Building will be more difficult (see Building Tweaks).
    • Chests with items inside will attract the occasional Goblin Raid (see Goblins)

• New Lights - Torches now die out, but the game will have new means of lighting up your mines.
    • Lanterns made of gold, flint, and glowstone are bright lights that you can carry.
    • Spotlights made of iron and glowstone can be aimed and have their focal length adjusted to dramatically light up your sculptures.
    • Daystones made of Glowstone and Obsidian can be placed on indoor walls. They render the blocks behind them invisible, making it so that you can have it be daytime indoors (like the Holodeck in Star Trek sorta) (this could be totally impossible).

• Bosses - With Bosses, I'm taking the previous ideas on enhancing Minecraft's endgame and introducing bosses, then making these ideas both more exciting and less frustrating.
    • Each Biome has a Boss. It is your goal to defeat that boss.
    • Bosses are summoned to your world. That means you get to choose when you fight. To summon a boss, you must go to a depth no more than 16 blocks above the bedrock, then build a ring of Obsidian and place a tower of gold blocks in the center. This will be difficult because Gold is quite heavy in Masochistic Minecraft.
    • The Boss will then be summoned to the surface of the biome. He can destroy blocks, so get up there before he wrecks your poo poo.
    • It is advised to consume some resources up before fighting the boss. Certain resources will give you a bigger buff against certain Biome Bosses. For example, consume coal to defeat the Tundra Boss more easily.
    • The boss will drop a gem that will be useful in defatting the next boss. As a result of defeating that boss, you will receive a special Warding Staff, as well as a Gem that will help in your fight against the Final Boss.
    • From then on, that biome can be turned Peaceful using the Warding Staff.
    • Additionally, inventory restrictions are lifted within that Biome.
    • The Nexus holds the Final Boss, named the Abomination. Provided you have defeated all of the other Bosses, the Abomination will be a piece of cake. However, if you are ill-prepared and lose to The Boss, your world will be deleted.

• Goblin Raids - Beware! Leave your things unattended and unsecured and you may lose them to the Goblins.
    • Goblin raids are random, but on average they occur once an hour, and only during the day.
    • Goblin raids target chests that you have built. The more valuable the contents of a chest, the more likely it is to get targeted; however, Goblins won't always attack the most valuable chest.
    • When a Goblin Raid is about to occur, you will receive five minute's notice, and the name of the nearest Minecart Station to the planned attack.
    • Goblins never spawn in lit areas, and they only rarely spawn indoors or underground. However, they can climb and are armed with hammers, which can break through materials. They will work their way to the chest.
    • Goblins usually will flee upon seeing you, however. Provided you get to your home to defend it, a Goblin Raid is actually a very fun affair where you chase down the Goblins. They tend to drop nice things.
    • During a Goblin Raid the difficulty is set to Peaceful, meaning no running into creepers while you are fighting Goblins. I imagine that that would piss many people off.

• Building Tweaks - Building will be a bit harder this time.
    • All blocks other than Sand and Gravel have a "stick time." When you first place down the block, they will fall down, but after they have been still for a certain amount of time (the Stick Time), they will be held in place. The Stick Time is shortest for blocks like Wood and Woll and longest for blocks like Steel and Obsidian.
    • By arranging sticks into a block you can make a set of 64 Scaffolds, which have no weight and no stick time. However, they disappear after a minute and cannot have Rails placed on them.

Lastly, I don't wanna be one of those Minecraft Modding Manchildren, I'll allow my mod to be modified, put in a compilation, what-have-you. I can't really guarantee too much compatibility though, because the only mods I personally like are Yogsbox, Optifine, and MAtmos.

Shameproof fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 29, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I will never play that but God bless you for having ambition.

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

trandorian posted:

I will never play that but God bless you for having ambition.

It's definitely not for everyone, but I have always liked the Roguelike aspects of MC. When the Halloween Update first came out and had a ton of bugs and an over-the-top difficulty I was having the time of my life.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shameproof posted:

It's definitely not for everyone, but I have always liked the Roguelike aspects of MC. When the Halloween Update first came out and had a ton of bugs and an over-the-top difficulty I was having the time of my life.

I mean, I know exactly why this would be something people want to play and it looks well constructed and all but it's also the opposite of my playstyle. If you get it finished though I think it'll be a huge hit!

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

What's the best updated mapping tool? I was going to make a map of the world where it's at now and where it started for the people who already had their turn.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Shameproof posted:

Year+ long coding endeavor

I guess the only question is to ask is have you ever modded before and do you know how to code in Java, because, no offense, this sounds exactly like peoples `~*MINE CRAFTWISHLIST*~`I mean, hell the dude making the Artifacts mod still hasn't released a beta build. (is he even still updating that thing?)

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

I can code in Java and I made some detailed Civ IV mods back in the day. I didn't release them because they weren't actually very fun, because unlike Minecraft Civ doesn't have glaring flaws robbing of its enormous potential.

My mod may end up being easier to make then the others, because it doesn't really add that much content. I figured Zelda isn't better when Link can have a spear, a hatchet, a pet dog, a motorcycle, and three boomerangs that each produce different elements, and neither is Minecraft.

Shameproof fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 29, 2011

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Shameproof posted:

I can code in Java and I made some detailed Civ IV mods back in the day. I didn't release them because they weren't actually very fun, because unlike Minecraft Civ doesn't have glaring flaws robbing of its enormous potential.

My mod may end up being easier to make then the others, because it doesn't really add that much content. I figured Zelda isn't better when Link can have a spear, a hatchet, a pet dog, a motorcycle, and three boomerangs that each produce different elements, and neither is Minecraft.

gently caress that, I need that version of Zelda immediately.

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

Gilok posted:

gently caress that, I need that version of Zelda immediately.

Nooo! Stop! It only sounds like a good idea. Seriously though, I just figured out a better way to articulate this: mod communities always end up turning every game into Animal Crossing, and they must be stopped.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Zero Star posted:

That's a lovely house but doesn't that overhanging bit offer sun protection to zombies and skeletons?
Yes, but after over a year of caveside hovels I figured it was time for a little form over function.

Shameproof posted:

Nooo! Stop! It only sounds like a good idea. Seriously though, I just figured out a better way to articulate this: mod communities always end up turning every game into Animal Crossing, and they must be stopped.
I would unironically enjoy an Animal Crossing mod for Minecraft. :colbert:

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 29, 2011

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

Power-shovelling fat turds into my cock busted syphilitic maw. Like a fat cunt shovels doughnuts. The resulting turds from my hemorrhoid infested goat fucked ass are pure gold compared to my shitting posts.

Vib Rib posted:

I would unironically enjoy an Animal Crossing mod for Minecraft. :colbert:

Is that texture pack still being updated?

Repelex
Jun 25, 2010

ketchum while they're young
I would pay for an Animal Crossing conversion mod for Minecraft.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Since pistons, my friend and I were discussing the fun of building a deathtrap dungeon/labyrinth type place.

We need more trap accoutrements like a bed of spikes, or voltaile gasses or acids.... yesss.. yesssssssss....

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Loving Life Partner posted:

Since pistons, my friend and I were discussing the fun of building a deathtrap dungeon/labyrinth type place.

We need more trap accoutrements like a bed of spikes, or voltaile gasses or acids.... yesss.. yesssssssss....

Ever since I started looking at the "air" blocks as literally "blocks of air" I've thought gasses would be a fantastic little addition. For example, one more valuable gas could only generate in sealed pockets of earth, then, when opened, it slowly seeps out (imagine finite water after the source block has been deleted, except upside down). Once it hits a large enough pocket of air it dissipates. Then there could be, you know, a deadly gas which slowly suffocated you, but you'd have a breath meter upon entering it.

I can't get ANY idea for Minecraft without feeling like I'm :spergin:.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I wana play a Roguelike Animal-Crossinglike Minecraft.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

A Sassy Dog posted:

Ever since I started looking at the "air" blocks as literally "blocks of air" I've thought gasses would be a fantastic little addition. For example, one more valuable gas could only generate in sealed pockets of earth, then, when opened, it slowly seeps out (imagine finite water after the source block has been deleted, except upside down). Once it hits a large enough pocket of air it dissipates. Then there could be, you know, a deadly gas which slowly suffocated you, but you'd have a breath meter upon entering it.

I can't get ANY idea for Minecraft without feeling like I'm :spergin:.

Minefart

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I wana play a Roguelike Animal-Crossinglike Minecraft.

I wanna play a Roguelike Animal Crossing.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

Just finished making my first real building on this game: The Dark Tower.

Finding all those roses and killing squid/dyeing sheep to make black wool took longer than I thought it would.

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
^^^

Just needs a couple of floating eyeballs and you'll be all set!

Seriously though, thats really awesome.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

DR AIDS posted:

black wool

Not obsidian?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

DR AIDS posted:

Finding all those roses and killing squid/dyeing sheep to make black wool took longer than I thought it would.

Not to :spergin: too much, but I don't remember the tower actually being described as "dark". I need to double check, but I think it was more of an "unknown" kind of dark, since noone knew what was in it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EightBit posted:

Not to :spergin: too much, but I don't remember the tower actually being described as "dark". I need to double check, but I think it was more of an "unknown" kind of dark, since noone knew what was in it.

It was built of black stone, I believe.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

DR AIDS posted:

But what's in the top room?

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

DR AIDS posted:

It's beautiful. :swoon:

Now you just need to create a little balcony, stand on it, and scream "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" at people on your server.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

Kuroshi posted:

But what's in the top room?

Making a trapdoor so when you get to the top room you fall all the way down (with some water to break your fall maybe?) and land.... in the desert. Dun dun DUNNNNNN.

Allen Wren posted:

Not obsidian?

I didn't even know obsidian existed when I started making this. I'm quite new to this game.

DR AIDS fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 30, 2011

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Shameproof posted:

*snip*

These are some good ideas. I don't really like the train tweaks though. More rails is nice, but warping kind of ruins the fun and danger of riding a cart around. Also, I'd go for something that allows for the proper linking of carts behind a powered cart than just making them into autocarts.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

can anyone link to a list of features in the update or give me some bullet points of suspected updates or if it's happening on friday? I don't know anything and I just clicked backwards through this thread before getting to the front and not finding anyone saying anything about what the update everyone is looking forward to actually has in it.

Some kind of gorgon? I don't know?

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Krinkle posted:

can anyone link to a list of features in the update or give me some bullet points of suspected updates or if it's happening on friday? I don't know anything and I just clicked backwards through this thread before getting to the front and not finding anyone saying anything about what the update everyone is looking forward to actually has in it.

Some kind of gorgon? I don't know?

Here's a link someone posted a couple pages back with a rundown on the new stuff.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Rack posted:

Here's a link someone posted a couple pages back with a rundown on the new stuff.

none of these things sound very good why is anyone looking forward to this? I guess I'll wait and see, I mean, I assume there'll still be a more casual multiplayer experience or maybe the server can turn off reverse-mario-boos and poison.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Maybe link to the wiki instead of the incompetents over at IGN?

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
That video on IGN actually made the world seem a little less random and a bit more natural

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Krinkle posted:

none of these things sound very good why is anyone looking forward to this? I guess I'll wait and see, I mean, I assume there'll still be a more casual multiplayer experience or maybe the server can turn off reverse-mario-boos and poison.

All of these things actually look really good and this is the first time I've given half a poo poo about 1.8.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

pseudorandom name posted:

Maybe link to the wiki instead of the incompetents over at IGN?

Um, I mean, I guess the camera was probably set up by "an incompetent at IGN", and the video was posted by one, but that entire video is narrated and played by Notch himself, so what's your beef here?

edit: oh, I guess there's an article too, which sums up the video. still not seeing any reason for this vitriol.

Macavity fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 30, 2011

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Wow, I hadn't actually watched that video until now, but it's got me more excited than ever. I'm not that interested in the new mob, but even the small gimmicky additions to combat look like they'll liven it up, and that fight with the axe where he charged under the skeleton's arrow and then spun around to jump-strike the other was awesome.

More than anything though, I love the way the world itself looks. The new terrain features like mountains and rivers look great, and the biomes are grown incredibly in size. But most importantly, every biome seems to have its own specific land generation code now. Those plains looked goddamn fantastic. They looked like plains. Very grassy, rolling, mostly flat, no trees.
I'm in it for the world itself, at the end of the day, so seeing these improvements is very reassuring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Does anyone know of a video where he's shown an abandoned mineshaft? The only one I know of is the first video that came out of PAX that was livestreamed from a phone, which means that the quality was really really bad.