Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roo-kie
Sep 9, 2007

Recalcitrance Matrix
I also tried my hand at astrophotography about a month ago. I got around to producing a result, that I'm happy with

I played around with Deep Sky Stacker a bit, I can't really tell if I duplicated the stars or not. I don't really have a thing for processing, just yet. It's cool software to play with though, providing you have a distraction while it does its (very long) thing.

On my first attempt I tried with a 10mm lens in a park near the city, but the results weren't spectacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Roo-kie posted:

On my first attempt I tried with a 10mm lens in a park near the city, but the results weren't spectacular.

I actually like this one a little better, because the stars aren't as blurred.

The edges of the processed one you posted are pretty distracting. The area around the dust cloud looks great though.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
A few I took camping. Next purchase is a remote shutter.

Big Dipper on the Lake by bernsai, on Flickr

Greig Lake at Night by bernsai, on Flickr

Greig Lake at Night by bernsai, on Flickr

Big Dipper in the Trees by bernsai, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Galaxy Cactus by torgeaux, on Flickr

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Digging through my photos from last summer.

Taken at about midnight, moon hidden behind the mountains behind me. An odd amount of light but still able to pick up the stars.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd
Hi all, directed here by another Goon from the AI forum. Some great images here! Look forward to going through all the threads. I live in HK so there are plenty of great opportunities for night shots. I only just bought a tripod and these are my first efforts. I put the black frame around them as I think it draws the viewer into the picture a little more and suits the subject. I'm using a Nikon D80 with low end Nikkor lenses. These were mostly shot on the kit 18-55mm with a couple of the longer range shot on the 55-200mm F/4. Looking forward to some tips. My main objective is to improve my composition which I think is the most important thing about these types of shot.

IFC_03_SMALL by R-W-P, on Flickr

ADMIRALTY_GOVERNMENT_OFFICES_SMALL by R-W-P, on Flickr

CITIC_TOWER_SMALL by R-W-P, on Flickr

CONRAD_SMALL by R-W-P, on Flickr

THE_MASTERPIECE_SMALL by R-W-P, on Flickr

PENINSULA_HOTEL_SMALL by R-W-P, on Flickr

Hong Kong Opera House by R-W-P, on Flickr

IFC_02_SMALL by R-W-P, on Flickr

HKCEC_SMALL by R-W-P, on Flickr

Harbour Plaza by R-W-P, on Flickr

Tsim Sha Tsui by R-W-P, on Flickr

The Clock Tower by R-W-P, on Flickr

Queensway by R-W-P, on Flickr

Bank of China Tower by R-W-P, on Flickr

Lippo Center by R-W-P, on Flickr

Star Ferry by R-W-P, on Flickr

International Finance Centre II, IFC by R-W-P, on Flickr

Untitled by R-W-P, on Flickr

Pacific Princess by R-W-P, on Flickr

The Clock Tower by R-W-P, on Flickr

Untitled by R-W-P, on Flickr

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Are you using a UV filter? You've got a lot of haze on these and UV filters make it worse. It could just be hazy out as well. You could also try stopping down some more, that should give you more defined edges around the highlights. Nice shots though! I love going to HK.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

Saint Fu posted:

Are you using a UV filter? You've got a lot of haze on these and UV filters make it worse. It could just be hazy out as well. You could also try stopping down some more, that should give you more defined edges around the highlights. Nice shots though! I love going to HK.

Hmmm, I didn't know that. Thanks for the advice. I can't recall whether I had the filter on or not, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't on when I was using the 18mm for the wide-angle shots. As you've been to HK before you'll know that the haze and smog from over the border is a real problem. It has been much clearer than usual recently, but there's almost always some haze in the air. The Peak view photo was probably the clearest night in years, so I had to get up there. I'll try stopping down and increasing the shutter speed.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Your peak view is awesome. I've been up there twice, the best I could come up with was

Looking forward to more.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Taking photos of fireworks is fun!

Bit annoyed with the last one having someone in the way, but for my first night taking fireworks I was pleased.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

NaDy posted:

Taking photos of fireworks is fun!

Bit annoyed with the last one having someone in the way, but for my first night taking fireworks I was pleased.

Funny because until I read your note about somebody being in the way it just looked like the edge of a cliff or a hill or something that you were shooting around and I thought it looked pretty cool.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.
Hello thread! Some of these might not count as long exposures, but I don't have a lot of experience with nighttime photography yet and I'm just looking for a little critique so please don't kill me :shobon:

:siren: photo dump ahead :siren:

A lighthouse on the lake near my house (I think there was another Oklahoma City goon posting pics in here earlier in the thread so they may know where this is)

Paradise Pier at Disney Land

Neon sign

During a campfire with my friends, we decided (don't ask me why) to throw a styrofoam plate into the fire and then pick it up with a stick so that it would "drip" like lava and I managed to get a decent shot of it.

My cat's first time outside the house after we got him. Lighting courtesy of a flashlight.

Fireworks from 4th of July display downtown.

Christmas tree

And last but not least, Segway Santa

So, feel free to let me know if my stuff sucks, or if I can improve on anything!

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
It was storming and I was bored, so I shot this, the Exif is probably gone so it was three 6 second exposures merged together with Enfuse for Lightroom.

Lightning Merge by zachary.spradlin, on Flickr

Not particularly great, epecially looking at everything else in the thread, but its one of very few long exposures I've done.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it looks awesome. :colbert:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The moon in the clouds really makes the shot. I agree that it's awesome.

Lamb of Gun
Apr 2, 2009

On the goodship lolli-gag, LSD and a bloody pile of rags, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, BUT I AM

bazaar apparatus posted:

Hello thread! Some of these might not count as long exposures, but I don't have a lot of experience with nighttime photography yet and I'm just looking for a little critique so please don't kill me :shobon:

:siren: photo dump ahead :siren:

So, feel free to let me know if my stuff sucks, or if I can improve on anything!

I'm going to wager a guess and say that you weren't using a tripod? I would get one or set the camera on something level and sturdy. Still life at night time pretty much requires longer exposures. These would've been much more striking if the camera was able to be steady enough to collect more light.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Ancient Light by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I envy all of you and if given the chance, would eat your brains to gain your knowledge.

Until such day, I will continue to suck at night photography.

Any and all help, resources, teaching tools or more is welcome and requested.
Just found the general photography thread, going to go read my brains out.

Best of, maybe, two hundred tries.

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 15, 2011

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

atomicthumbs posted:

This is really nice.

Calgary Early Morning BW by bernsai, on Flickr

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
I got this the other night. Went out looking for the meteor shower but with darkness came clouds. It's a bit on the dark side but I like it. Feel free to give me any tips though.

Frederick Sound at night by b.kilkenny, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

How did you do this?

I assume that's city glow? Where did the noise come from?

(like everyone else is saying, it looks super neat)

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

xzzy posted:

How did you do this?

that's film grain, not noise.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Lamb of Gun posted:

I'm going to wager a guess and say that you weren't using a tripod? I would get one or set the camera on something level and sturdy. Still life at night time pretty much requires longer exposures. These would've been much more striking if the camera was able to be steady enough to collect more light.

That would be correct. I have a tripod hand-me-down from one of my relatives but it's kinda crappy so I don't really use it ever. I do plan on buying myself a new one sometime, because I'm interested in nighttime photography and aspire to one day pull off shots like this:

I guess this would be a good chance to ask, do you guys have suggestions on a good, relatively cheap tripod? I think a Gorillapod would be nice but maybe it has faults I'm unaware of.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

xzzy posted:

I think it looks awesome. :colbert:

HookShot posted:

The moon in the clouds really makes the shot. I agree that it's awesome.

Thanks! After dwelling on it some more I think I actually do like it a lot. I guess I'm gonna keep messing around with night exposures some more, might as well since I have to live out in the sticks with my parents until we can close on a house...

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

xzzy posted:

How did you do this?

I don't remember how bright the city glow was (I took this picture months ago and only recently was able to scan it), but I think it might be ordinary skyglow/incident city glow from San Francisco. I cranked the contrast way up and changed the color balance, and the vignette produced by my lens (mamiya 645 35mm) turned into that, with the film grain becoming much more apparent. (Normally Fuji T64 is a very fine-grained film.)

Before any adjustments, it looked like this:

and here's the curves

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's pretty neat. Turned a somewhat forgettable photo into something pretty epic.

I guess this means I need to get better at visualizing what post processing can do for an image. :smith:

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

The ISS went over my area tonight! I forgot my wireless remote. Space station is wobbly. :(

ISS (International Space Station) by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

VendaGoat posted:

I envy all of you and if given the chance, would eat your brains to gain your knowledge.

Until such day, I will continue to suck at night photography.

Any and all help, resources, teaching tools or more is welcome and requested.
Just found the general photography thread, going to go read my brains out.

Best of, maybe, two hundred tries.

Are you able to manually set the shutter speed and exposure on your camera? Do you have a tripod? If the answer's yes to both you can start getting some great night shots right away. In your photo it looks like the shutter is firing pretty quickly judging by the dark image and the short light trails from the cars. It looks like a pretty interesting view though. Is it from your home/office? If you can shoot a picture in portrait of the tall building in the middle and fit the bridge in the lower part of the photo on a long exposure (20-25 seconds) it would be cool, I reckon1

btw, I really like the Ancient Light photo. It could be an album cover of a 70's Prog Rock group.

JuanChai fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 16, 2011

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

JuanChai posted:

Are you able to manually set the shutter speed and exposure on your camera? Do you have a tripod? If the answer's yes to both you can start getting some great night shots right away. In your photo it looks like the shutter is firing pretty quickly judging by the dark image and the short light trails from the cars. It looks like a pretty interesting view though. Is it from your home/office? If you can shoot a picture in portrait of the tall building in the middle and fit the bridge in the lower part of the photo on a long exposure (20-25 seconds) it would be cool, I reckon1

btw, I really like the Ancient Light photo. It could be an album cover of a 70's Prog Rock group.

I have a manual setting for my camera, but nothing anywhere near 20-25 seconds. In ISO mode I can get maybe a two second exposure. I was using manual setting when I took this and was experimenting to learn night photography. Obviously I still need work and luckily this view isn't too far of a drive from me, so I can always retry.

I did use a tripod and my remote control when I took it. I was not shooting in ISO mode, just simple shutter speed mode. So the basic advice I am getting is, get my camera back on it's tripod, turn it sideways, get the two towers and bridge in the shot and leave it to shoot for as long as I can get it to.

:) Once I try again, I'll post the results.
Thank you.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
A couple of holiday pictures from the south of France, both taken with my modified Canon 1000D and 50mm EF lens at F3.5 on my Vixen Sphinx mount.

Cygnus Central Region by tmarkuk, on Flickr

33 x 5 minutes. The bright central star is Deneb with Sadr to the right.

Cassiopeia by tmarkuk, on Flickr

14 x 4 minutes, a cloudy and annoying night, framing could have been better on this.

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven
Was that equatorial mount around $300?
Does anyone know of a cheap equatorial mount I could put on my tripod?

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool

Bread Zeppelin posted:

Was that equatorial mount around $300?
Does anyone know of a cheap equatorial mount I could put on my tripod?

The Sphinx is a Japanese computerised goto mount and comes in retail at around $1800 I think, though I got mine second have over here for £800 a few years back. It's a capable and portable little mount for observing or imaging with short focal length refractors, completely over kill for just a Camera and lens though.

An Astrotrac TT320X-AG would be ideal for these kind of images, but they are around $580. Otherwise for under $300 you are looking at something like an EQ2 clone (Orion Astroview / Celestron CG4) with motor drives.

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven
I just found out about barn door mounts, so I may try to go that route.

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

Goons, I just bought Nikon D5100 and still learning. Was going to buy a tripod, but then read this article by Ken Rockwell (whom I really trust) - http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-killed-my-tripod.htm which says that tripod is not needed for DSLRs.

So, the question is - is it possible to repeat some of the photos shown here (and majority of them are amazing!) w/o tripod by playing with ISO or what have you. I understand that sharpness will be gone but still...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Every time I read that clown's site, I find new reasons I want to punch him in the kidneys.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

ole_bjorne posted:

Goons, I just bought Nikon D5100 and still learning. Was going to buy a tripod, but then read this article by Ken Rockwell (whom I really trust) - http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-killed-my-tripod.htm which says that tripod is not needed for DSLRs.

So, the question is - is it possible to repeat some of the photos shown here (and majority of them are amazing!) w/o tripod by playing with ISO or what have you. I understand that sharpness will be gone but still...
That article might be the bullshittiest of all of Ken Rockwell's bullshit. The images look ok because they're only 600px wide, ISO 1600 at normal resolutions usually isn't going to look all that great. K-Rock might have magic ultra-stable hands that can shoot at 1/4 sec, but most people don't...I certainly wouldn't count on being able to do that, at least. Tripods are good!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I got like 3 paragraphs into a response with more substance, but really all that needs to be said is K-Rock is high as a kite. All the above comments are correct. I would also add that places like Times Square are going to be about as bright as any nighttime location you'll ever find other than a sports stadium.

Tripods are really useful and I wish I had the patience to drag mine around more. Even in daytime shots at wide angles I've started noticing a that that small details are lost due to motion blur.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I leave my tripod in the car.. so it's always there if I decide I need it.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

ole_bjorne posted:

Ken Rockwell (whom I really trust)

Ken Rockwell is a retard. All his technical advice is completely opinion based and poorly formed. Examples? When he conducted his CF vs SD card test he tested a set of SD cards against a higher class CF card and came to the completely bogus conclusion that all CF cards are faster than their SD counterparts. He also did a review of a disposable camera in which he claims it's better than a digital camera because there is no lcd lag, brighter viewfinder that doesn't black out (and has no distracting junk), the flash is easy (just one button), and there isn't some stupid half press shutter. He also wrote an article on free digital cameras, which is actually just shooting film and getting it scanned, which is technically isn't digital or free.

The Retard posted:

So where's the free part? This system of having Costco process my film and scan it costs less per print than the cost of the prints alone. That's less than free!
Yup. That sure makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

Thank you for replies. Will get my tripod soon then. Can I trust his reviews of lenses and cameras? I got two of his recommended lenses for D5100 - 35mm f/1.8 and 55-200mm VR.

And sorry for minor off topic.