Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

kitten smoothie posted:

Battery life for me generally seems pretty great with the 1.6.1 release. The only problem I really see is that 3G-4G-Wifi handoffs still don't always work.

On the other hand my wife absolutely hated Sense on her TB and so I flashed CM7 on there a week and a half ago -- she seems pretty happy with her phone now, so maybe I'm just being too picky.

I never noticed an issue with the 3G - 4G hand-offs, but I did flash the latest radio that Chingy posted on rootzwiki. I think it was posted on the 22nd? I don't seem to have any hand-off problems, so maybe looking in to that would be beneficial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Used my friends PC to root my Droid X2. So much better now that I can have the Swype beta and get rid of all the lovely crapware like Blockbuster and all the Verizon stuff.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Tornhelm posted:

A lot of the custom roms have things stripped out, so its hard to recommend one over another. Personally though I'm using LeoMar75's Revolution rom at the moment not because its doing anything revolutionary (the base is pretty much stock), but because of its feature list. He has a kitchen addon you can download from the market, and it provides OTA updates for when he updates the ROM itself as well as a fairly decent sized list of themes/kernels/tweaks that he adds to on a daily basis.
Dear lord, this is wonderful. Thanks!

Anyone managed to get OpenVPN VPN support working with this ROM/the Galaxy S II? I've got a self-configured VPN and it'd be nice to add the same out of the box OpenVPN support CM7 had on the Desire.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

LastInLine posted:

I'm the guy that asked that dude to do that! Goddamn I wish they'd hurry up and merge the fix he submitted to Gerrit.

In the meantime, fitsnugly's Gigglebread build has been pulling that commit in, but you also get a retarded boot screen so yeah, I've just been running that KANG.

Is it just the n1? Because it's been over a month, and data connectivity it's kind of important on a smartphone. I imagine they want to fix what's wrong rather than roll back to old code, but seriously.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

nickhimself posted:

I never noticed an issue with the 3G - 4G hand-offs, but I did flash the latest radio that Chingy posted on rootzwiki. I think it was posted on the 22nd? I don't seem to have any hand-off problems, so maybe looking in to that would be beneficial?

Do you have a link to this?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vaporware posted:

Is it just the n1? Because it's been over a month, and data connectivity it's kind of important on a smartphone. I imagine they want to fix what's wrong rather than roll back to old code, but seriously.
It seems like it would be all devices. It depends on how technical an explanation you're looking for, but here's the long version. The short version is that this is a regression of a problem that they've fixed before. AOSP doesn't check for positive lease times ("forever" is -1) and the CM team fixed it a long time ago. Then they merged 2.3.5 and in the process lost the positive/negative check which again caused the dropouts. The solution as the fix is written does not roll back to old code but keeps the updated AOSP code and adds a DHCP-lease-is-postive-check.

I agree that wifi connectivity is important but there are easy ways around it (like remove the DHCP reservation in your router) and you'd never know the problem is there. I'm sure once Kondik gets moved in to his new place he'll go through and merge a bunch of these pending changes as there really hasn't been any activity bar one day in the last week in terms of approving changes.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 29, 2011

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

JayKay posted:

I've been using the latest release of CM7 1.6.1 on my TB and I haven't had too many issues. The only 2 glaring things I can think of is that it seems my 3G reception has gone down the toilet and for some reason my battery has been draining faster than usual if I haven't rebooted my phone in 24 hours.

Also I can't be the only one, but the more letters in a ROM title that are replaced by numbers increases the chances I'm going to completely ignore said ROM.

Normally I'd agree with you, but DroidTheory is a pretty solid dude and his ROM's have been well supported(generally) and they tend to run really well. His Sense ones were head and shoulders above the myriad of ROMs out for the T-Bolt and he's been good about updating his AOSP roms when new source comes out. That said, no AOSP code has worked well for battery life at all on mine. I've stayed with it and am running OMFGB due to the devs being pretty cool guys to follow on twitter, but I may have to make a run back to a Sense ROM soon.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

OK another stupid question. I formatted my SD card with an ext2 partition.... now what? I can't seem to figure out how to activate that partition for apps, and most of the guides on the subject talk about upgrading the partition to ext3/4 but all use adb to do it.

Is there something I'm missing? A program I need to run?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

tvgm2 posted:

Do you have a link to this?

http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?t=3587

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Leathal posted:

Be warned that their nighties routinely break poo poo to the point where I just moved to another rom.

1. Which ROM did you move to?
2. Why can't they just release stable releases instead of only nightlies?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

nickhimself posted:

Cool, just flashed this and will see how this goes. I assume with this radio I am now locked into using a gingerbread rom only unless I flash back to the stock MR2 OTA from a few weeks ago?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So seeing as I have my X2 rooted now, but there are no custom roms for it yet, I have to ask: Are there good apps for overclocking and wireless tethering? Preferably free, but I'd be willing to pay like, $2 each if that's the only option/there is a huge difference in quality.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
OC isn't going to happen right now. As far as tethering goes, I've been trying to get various versions of wireless tether to work with no luck, people claim they do though. Just google wireless tether. Also I threw the Eclipse rom on there and its running pretty well. No CM7 but better than stock I think.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Boten Anna posted:

OK another stupid question. I formatted my SD card with an ext2 partition.... now what? I can't seem to figure out how to activate that partition for apps, and most of the guides on the subject talk about upgrading the partition to ext3/4 but all use adb to do it.

Is there something I'm missing? A program I need to run?
It doesn't just work, you need to run either DarkTremor's a2sd script after every flash or Simple2EXT if you're running CM7 (I have no experience with s2e). Here are some instructions I typed up to help someone else use dt-a2sd.

If you want to change the EXT to EXT3/4, do it in Amon-Ra.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Stunt Rock posted:

1. Which ROM did you move to?
2. Why can't they just release stable releases instead of only nightlies?

I wish they took the MIUI route and only release updates once a week (what I call weeklies instead of nightlies).

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Stunt Rock posted:

Which ROM did you move to?

I'm on Senseless rom right now, but Clean rom is by the same guy if you're looking for a Sense based image.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Does anyone know if persisting LED flashlight works on MTD Fascinates yet? I know the flash for cameras and such work but last time I checked the flash couldn't be used as a flashlight. I use my phone as a flashlight with fair regularity and don't want to do the whole partition conversion song and dance if I'm just going to end up Odin'ing back to stock.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I recently got a Defy in preparation for my move to T-Mobile, and since I got service today and have been reading about this stuff for the past week, I decided to go ahead and flash it.

I kept it relatively simple, going from the stock Froyo SBF to MIUI latest version. I didn't flash a fixed SBF for Gingerbread, for example. It does report as 2.3.5 in the About Phone screen. The processor is also OC'ed a tad, to 1Ghz and it feels snappy enough. HSPA is working as well, and I'm getting decent speeds.

Now, the only thing I'll miss from my EVO is the front camera.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Just a note for all who have picked up a SGS2 and are running it at stock voltages, the phone tends to run hot if you play games a fair bit on your phone (not enough to cause any damage - just makes it uncomfortable to hold), and thats rectified by getting either Tegrak Overclock (and using one of Tegraks kernels) or SetCPU and a ninphetamine kernel and slightly undervolting your phone. The main difference between the two methods is that Tegraks allows you to over/underclock your GPU too.

Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

Oh I loooove going to the mooon ahaha ahhhahaaa
So apparently ShootMe is now off the android market... is there an equivalent replacement?

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Leathal posted:

I'm on Senseless rom right now, but Clean rom is by the same guy if you're looking for a Sense based image.

I actually like Sense 3.0 so maybe I'll give Clean a try.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

So apparently ShootMe is now off the android market... is there an equivalent replacement?
I see DroidCap in a lot of screenshots. So apparently it's popular, and apparently it sucks at hiding itself during the screenshot process.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

I was going to ask why...then I decided I'd not be lazy and :google: it.

http://thedroidguy.com/2011/08/shootme-screen-grabber-most-popular-screenshot-utility-gone-from-android-market/

Long story short - People who make comments on the app are assholes.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ozmodiar posted:

I was going to ask why...then I decided I'd not be lazy and :google: it.

http://thedroidguy.com/2011/08/shootme-screen-grabber-most-popular-screenshot-utility-gone-from-android-market/

Long story short - People who make comments on the app are assholes.

Holy hell, that's embarrassing as gently caress. Between XDA and app comments I think we've reached YouTube levels of retardation.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Holy hell, that's embarrassing as gently caress. Between XDA and app comments I think we've reached YouTube levels of retardation.

I can't hardly blame the guy.

Even with the small number of users woofi has (somewhere around 3k), I get at least a couple emails a week from someone that is just rude. I just ignore them, but I can see it starting to weigh on the psyche if you've got an app with a million downloads...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I can't hardly blame the guy.

Even with the small number of users woofi has (somewhere around 3k), I get at least a couple emails a week from someone that is just rude. I just ignore them, but I can see it starting to weigh on the psyche if you've got an app with a million downloads...
I don't know how it works in the Market, but can you just say that requests for support will be ignored and just give no gently caress about your rating?

I mean if it's a free app anyway, why bother?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Rohaq posted:

Anyone managed to get OpenVPN VPN support working with this ROM/the Galaxy S II? I've got a self-configured VPN and it'd be nice to add the same out of the box OpenVPN support CM7 had on the Desire.

On the OpenVPN front, heres the conf file for a Witopia server - just replace everything in brackets (and delete the brackets too) and point it to the right certificate and key files, and it *should* work.

code:

##############################################
# Configuration file for OpenVPN             #
# Template file for this config  modified:  Fri Jul 01 10:58:24 +0000 2011

client

dev tun
proto udp
remote (address) (port)
resolv-retry infinite
bind
persist-key
persist-tun
ns-cert-type server
cipher bf-cbc
comp-lzo
verb 3
mute 20
ca ca.crt
mssfix 1450

key (keyfile).key
cert (certificate).crt

#
# Uncomment only if instructed to do so by WiTopia Support Staff
#route-method exe
#route-delay 2

Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

Oh I loooove going to the mooon ahaha ahhhahaaa
well then will someone who isnt a crybaby please make another shootme?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

To the CM7 nightly crowd: The wifi dropout fix has been merged.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Tornhelm posted:

On the OpenVPN front, heres the conf file for a Witopia server - just replace everything in brackets (and delete the brackets too) and point it to the right certificate and key files, and it *should* work.

code:

# Configuration file for OpenVPN             #
# Template file for this config  modified:  Fri Jul 01 10:58:24 +0000 2011

client

dev tun
proto udp
remote (address) (port)
resolv-retry infinite
bind
persist-key
persist-tun
ns-cert-type server
cipher bf-cbc
comp-lzo
verb 3
mute 20
ca ca.crt
mssfix 1450

key (keyfile).key
cert (certificate).crt

#
# Uncomment only if instructed to do so by WiTopia Support Staff
#route-method exe
#route-delay 2

Thanks, but I think that the issue is that the tun module doesn't seem to be present :(

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Rohaq posted:

Thanks, but I think that the issue is that the tun module doesn't seem to be present :(

Thats an easy fix then, as both the speedmod and cfroot kernels have it built in. Just switch to another kernel and it'll work properly again.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Any thoughts on where to go to root a sprint nexus s? I can't think of much I need to do, but i keep seeing voodoo being a must for sound, so i may give that a go. I just usually have HTC devices, so gotta figure out where to start on this one!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Any thoughts on where to go to root a sprint nexus s? I can't think of much I need to do, but i keep seeing voodoo being a must for sound, so i may give that a go. I just usually have HTC devices, so gotta figure out where to start on this one!
It's easy-peasy, but it wipes the device.

Here's a guide and video.

If you don't want to go with a custom ROM to start, just install su.apk and you're good to go. To get Voodoo and BLN, I recommend the Lucid kernel as stability is more of an issue on the NS than I was used to. You'll need to download two free apps from the Market to access the features, Voodoo Control and Backlight Notification Control.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Tornhelm posted:

Thats an easy fix then, as both the speedmod and cfroot kernels have it built in. Just switch to another kernel and it'll work properly again.
I've got the nephamphetamine (sp?) Kernel installed at the moment, should that have it included?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Also, anyone who wanted ShootMe: I've still got the apk backed up in Titanium if you're after it.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Rohaq posted:

I've got the nephamphetamine (sp?) Kernel installed at the moment, should that have it included?

I don't think Ninphetamine has tun included at the moment - the only kernel I know that definitely has it is the SpeedMod one, and possibly RageMod too since that person based his work off of hardcores kernel.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Rohaq posted:

Also, anyone who wanted ShootMe: I've still got the apk backed up in Titanium if you're after it.

I am! Looked for it yesterday and was massively confused.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Rohaq posted:

I just copied the apk to dropbox for safe keeping but I am used to being able to redownload anything almost any time so its disappearance is a bit unnerving for me.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Codiusprime posted:

I am! Looked for it yesterday and was massively confused.
Here's a link to a gzip file containing the apk:
http://db.tt/KAkKBR7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Rohaq posted:

Here's a link to a gzip file containing the apk:
http://db.tt/KAkKBR7

Greatly greatly appreciated.