Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

toaster_pastry posted:

remember the meme of Star Wars characters driving sports cars?

Yeah, well, I gave-in and participated in my first internet dorkdom. I'll take any excuse I can find to dress up like Boba Fett. :)

There's a link to a wallpaper-sized version on my website.

http://goo.gl/a95Oi

This pic justifies the existence of this thread, good show :golfclap:

What car is that?

e. nm, that was answered on the website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Admiral Goodenough posted:

This pic justifies the existence of this thread,

Barely.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

arioch posted:

There's really no telling what might happen if you try to crack a gas planet. For example, Jupiter (probably) has a solid core that's (probably) 2-10 times the mass of Earth, but Jupiter's gas masses at least another 300x that of Earth. Even if you could crack the core of Jupiter, it'll probably just collapse back together again under that kind of force.

It probably wouldn't even destabilize Yavin IV's orbit.

Going purely by the gravitational binding energy, Jupiter would take about ~9000 times more energy to blow up than the earth. If I were the consultant required to make a nice technobabble explanation for why the Death Star didn't just blow up Yavin, I'd just say it couldn't. It was specced for blowing up habitable rocky planets, not gas giants.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

All this talk of Yavin just reminds me of how stupid the Sun Crusher was.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
I staggered accross this online today..

"Do cu is a Portuguese phrase meaning "from the rear end" which is pronounced exactly like Dooku"

Thats right, suck on that!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Yours and my favorite author to hate (aside from Troy Denning and/or Kevin J. Anderson) makes another appearance.

quote:

According to 343 Industries' Frank O'Connor, humanity is no longer being pushed back on its heels from constant attack from the Covenant. It is during this time that a volatile political struggle begins between both sides. The upcoming novel Halo: Glasslands connects some of these elements to Halo 4's story, and features characters familiar to fans of the franchise, including the Arbiter.

quote:

"Karen Traviss' novel Glasslands is going to touch on how the human race, when it's not being rocked back on its heels, is actually a fairly formidable force. Given time and given the scientific curiosity we have as a species, all of this stuff is going to be really interesting in terms of how we can advance our technology. But the UNSC stuff will still be gritty and war-like and very human. But there's lots more to come." This certainly sounds like Forerunner technology will help push human advancement as Covenant tech did before it.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/69939/halo-4-begins-reclaimer-trilogy

Fellsway
Apr 21, 2005

Are you my mummy?
I have a REALLY stupid question, and I'm SURE it's been answered before, but I poked around on the wookiepedia, and couldn't find any information.

Han goes into the carbonite freezing chamber with his hands in handcuffs. They totally freeze Han. Han gets raised up again and his hands are up by his chest with no visible handcuffs. What happened to the handcuffs?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

arioch posted:

Yours and my favorite author to hate (aside from Troy Denning and/or Kevin J. Anderson) makes another appearance.

I'm not really familiar with the Halo franchise but by the end of Halo 3 isn't humanity basically wiped out, with all of its colonies destroyed and the Earth mostly a smoking wreck?

Fellsway posted:

I have a REALLY stupid question, and I'm SURE it's been answered before, but I poked around on the wookiepedia, and couldn't find any information.

Han goes into the carbonite freezing chamber with his hands in handcuffs. They totally freeze Han. Han gets raised up again and his hands are up by his chest with no visible handcuffs. What happened to the handcuffs?

Same thing that the carbon-freezing process did to his clothes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

arioch posted:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/69939/halo-4-begins-reclaimer-trilogy

Only interested if a baby Spartan gets grenade punch aborted.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Fellsway posted:

Two Ugnaughts remove them before he's lowered.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

thrawn527 posted:

Two Ugnaughts remove them before he's lowered.

If only explaining his shirt was that easy.

Fellsway
Apr 21, 2005

Are you my mummy?
I knew I missed something. Always surprising that no matter how many times you watch something, you can easily miss the simple stuff.

Phylodox posted:

If only explaining his shirt was that easy.

What now?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Fellsway posted:

I knew I missed something. Always surprising that no matter how many times you watch something, you can easily miss the simple stuff.

What now?

His shirt in ESB when he's frozen is different than when he is unfrozen in ROTJ.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Oh boy I have to wait till April to see how Fate of the Jedi is going to finish out. Why must it take so long to get some closure to this trainwreck? It finishes out with Troy Denning too, I can't wait to see how much more ridiculous it can get :shepface:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Joe Don Baker posted:

His shirt in ESB when he's frozen is different than when he is unfrozen in ROTJ.

Maybe Jabba unfroze him when he got him so he could go "Haha got you rear end in a top hat" and had some people slap him around, then after a while they let him get dressed in whatever clothes were around and then refWHY AM I DOING THIS what is it about Star Wars that makes me want to rationalize stupid poo poo? Goddamn it. I honestly started typing that out wanting to rationalize it but as I got to about "dressed in whatever clothes" I just got angry.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
They also put him back in the exact same pose just for fun.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
He had a copy of the death star plans in his shirt. They wanted them.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Except that you can see Han is wearing the Empire Strikes Back shirt while in carbonite in the shot immediately preceding him getting defrosted, so Jabba definitely didn't give him a make-over or anything.

You'd think it would have been easier to keep the costume consistent given that they had an eight foot tall statue for reference, but I guess not.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

He had a copy of the death star plans in his shirt. They wanted them.

His shirt was the plans.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Apparently there's new audio being added to ROTJ:

http://www.millenniumfalcon.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9032

Someone placed the audio over a ROTJ clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGaSxSuB2vY

May be fake.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Phylodox posted:

Except that you can see Han is wearing the Empire Strikes Back shirt while in carbonite in the shot immediately preceding him getting defrosted, so Jabba definitely didn't give him a make-over or anything.

You'd think it would have been easier to keep the costume consistent given that they had an eight foot tall statue for reference, but I guess not.

Can someone post a comparison shot? I'm half a country away from my copies.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What the hell. I'm making comparison shots, and the shirts ARE the same. However, in ESB he had some sort of restraints on his upper arms, but they don't show up in ROTJ.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Mister Roboto posted:

Apparently there's new audio being added to ROTJ:

http://www.millenniumfalcon.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9032

Someone placed the audio over a ROTJ clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGaSxSuB2vY

May be fake.

No goddamn way. That absolutely ruins the scene!

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

^^^ I dunno, the Emperor's Tarzan scream at the end makes it seem like a joke.

Joe Don Baker posted:

What the hell. I'm making comparison shots, and the shirts ARE the same.

Are you sure you're not watching the Special Editions? :downs:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Admiral Goodenough posted:

^^^ I dunno, the Emperor's Tarzan scream at the end makes it seem like a joke.

Are you sure you're not watching the Special Editions? :downs:

The Emperor's always made that sound, at least on the newer DVD releases.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
For those who don't want to traverse those forums:

http://io9.com/5835951/darth-vader-will-lose-a-little-more-of-his-dignity-in-star-wars-original-trilogy-blu+rays-listen-for-yourself

Ugh. Obi Wan's updated Krayt Dragon call is horrendous...

http://edge-cache.gawker.com/io9/mp3/millenniumfalcon-KrayytDragon.mp3

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Wicket has eyes now??? Well, poo poo.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

I am the worst Star Wars fan :smithicide:

(That's a terrible scream, though, I can't believe anyone thought that would add gravitas to the moment.)

Tuxedo Jack posted:

New ringtone, right here.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Milky Moor posted:

Naw he always did. The change was the VHS special edition made Luke do it when he jumped in ESB, but thankfully the DVD axed it.

Backstage Larry
Sep 20, 2004

"Unless you consider worlds coolest daddy a job."

Tuxedo Jack posted:

That is such a funny drat noise, sounds like a gay stereotype getting his rear end pinched.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
What's weird is that sound gets changed every new edition. It's like a running gag at this point.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Joe Don Baker posted:

What the hell. I'm making comparison shots, and the shirts ARE the same.

Han's shirt in Empire was single-breasted. Jedi Han's is double-breasted. Unless they changed it in the special editions.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Joe Don Baker posted:

What the hell. I'm making comparison shots, and the shirts ARE the same. However, in ESB he had some sort of restraints on his upper arms, but they don't show up in ROTJ.

Han's costume in Cloud City consisted of a dark jacket over a white shirt. The jacket was removed sometime before he went into the freezing chamber, but the lighting left his shoulders in shadow, so it still kinda looked like he had the jacket on.

But since he doesn't have the jacket on when he gets unfrozen, people had sperging about the "mistake" for years and years. So for the DVD release of ESB, they tweaked the shot to make it clear.

Source: http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/star-wars-the-changes-part-two.html

e: As to the upper arm thing, no idea.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 31, 2011

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

That Vader scream...Why would someone think that it belonged there. We don't need a really lovely "NOOOOO" to let us know that Vader is coming out of the veil of evil. It's terrible, awful terrible and completely destroys that whole scene. And that whole battle between Luke and Vader was my absolute favorite part of Star Wars, and now it's ruined.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think it's been pretty well established at this point that Mr. Lucas has difficulty with the subtleties of human emotional interactions.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I hope those audio changes are real because that is just too hilarious.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I hope those audio changes are real because that is just too hilarious.

Must put VHS and DVD copies of the trilogy into a safety deposit box, lest they be tainted.

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I want all of Alec Guinness's dialogue replaced with this noise, just to see the uproar it would cause.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Zellus posted:

I want all of Alec Guinness's dialogue replaced with this noise, just to see the uproar it would cause.
"We meet again, Obi-Wan. When I left you I was but a learner. Now I am the master."
"HYYYYYOOOOORNNNNNNGGG SPUKUNGRRRRRRUFFF BEEEEOOOOOP"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I think they're just trying to make the thing sound like a noise a human being could conceivably make, but it just doesn't work.