Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyingfoggy
Jun 3, 2006

My fellow Obamas...

Vexxal posted:

I might send trinity a letter to see if they have any of these events. I'd hope so but sometimes UCD is considered more financial. *shrug*
What were you studying in UCD? Was it just a years exchange?

It was just a semester of general business courses - it was more traveling around Ireland/Europe than any sort of real focus on school or career. Aren't most undergrad degrees there 3 years? Even if you don't get anything legit out of undergrad you could probably do a masters in the UK or US or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodrog
Apr 17, 2002

by angerbeet
"Management science and information studies" doesnt sound like a real degree to be honest, I would guess youll be better off doing Maths/Econ.

edit: also doing something with a strong compsci component will potentially get you typecast into an IT/technology role. You should probably decide whether this is something youd be comfortable with. And if you are, youll probably be better off just doing straight comp sci.

But honestly, if you genuinelly enjoy maths then just do maths; you cant really go wrong with that. I dont think Oxford/Imperial/LSE/UCL require STEP, so you could apply to those too.

Nodrog fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 21, 2011

Vexxal
Jul 16, 2010

Nodrog posted:

"Management science and information studies" doesnt sound like a real degree to be honest, I would guess youll be better off doing Maths/Econ.

edit: also doing something with a strong compsci component will potentially get you typecast into an IT/technology role. You should probably decide whether this is something youd be comfortable with. And if you are, youll probably be better off just doing straight comp sci.

But honestly, if you genuinelly enjoy maths then just do maths; you cant really go wrong with that. I dont think Oxford/Imperial/LSE/UCL require STEP, so you could apply to those too.

Is the presitigious uni worth the debt? keep in mind irish third level is free and trinity is ranked 15th in the world for maths

Nodrog
Apr 17, 2002

by angerbeet

Vexxal posted:

Is the presitigious uni worth the debt? keep in mind irish third level is free and trinity is ranked 15th in the world for maths
If you really want an IB job and it gives you a significantly better chance then yeah I guess. It totally depends on what you want to do, but personally I'd say that if you had a chance of going somewhere like Oxford for undergrad then you'd be crazy not to.

Not many people outside academia will really about ranking for individual subjects, only the university's reputation as a whole. Ive no idea how Trinity is considered by UK employers, but oxbridge/lse/imperial/warwick generally make up a huge proportion of the IB intake (although part of this presumably is because less people from Trinity apply to UK grad schemes, etc).

Nodrog fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 23, 2011

Morrissey.
Nov 16, 2009
I am the center of the universe. I am deeply disturbed if my friends are not pleasing and worshipping me as the princess I am.

BEWARE! Those who displease me will forever suffer my passive-agressive wrath.
I'm hoping this is the correct thread for this. If not, I apologize. I'm just looking for a bit of help.

I'm sending out my resume and cover letter to a regional investment bank in hopes of securing a summer internship in 2012. There is no actual posting for the internship, but my father's been working with this group on a big project for a while and gave me the contact information for the/one of the Senior VP(s) at the branch. This is the digital equivalent of a cold call. I don't even know if this firm does internships, I'm just shooting in the dark here. I was filling in the email address and tabbed down to the subject line and drew a giant blank on what to put in there. Any advice? And at that, what would you suggest putting in the body of the email, since my intentions and whatnot are spelled out in the cover letter?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Vexxal posted:

The difference between Oxford and the rest is that by the time you hit 2nd year in Oxford everyone's already done 80% of a 4 year undergrad and the 3rd is basically master's level courses. And there are a lot of employers who recruit primarily out of Oxford and Cambridge. In the recruitment season there is a bank presentation virtually every day.

If nothing else apply apply apply, you can always back out if you don't want to go.

GTGastby
Dec 28, 2006

AJzer posted:

I'm using Excel 2010.

I haven't. My issues are largely data management, model transparency, and non-expert use issues. Ultimately, my long-term goal is to bring future models in this direction:
  • Move input and intermediate (and even summary?) data out of Excel and into a database of some kind
  • Leave most or all of the actual math to a program dedicated to querying the DB and performing calculations for summarization
  • The ability to actually read model underpinnings (basically anything that can help me visualize data relationships)
  • Flexibility when it comes to model improvements
  • In the long run, the ability to package the model and build a simple GUI so non-analysts can use it.
Can MATLAB or Python get me there? What I'm finding is that Excel sucks at storing large amounts of data within its program and showing relationships in a simple way. I don't understand why it's even used for anything but small projects.

I've been considering this, though replacing VBA with Powershell. I'm worried that in the next couple years, MS is going to completely phase out VBA in favor of Powershell, and I'm looking down the line. Still, there's nothing I can really do about my current project; it's a bloated, half-broken mess of a model built by two different staff, each writing it for a different purpose, and both leaving before I could talk with them about it.

I have a buddy who works in genomics that uses Python a lot, I'll also pick his brain. Thanks for your help so far.

Sounds like you'd be best suited by creating an Excel Add-in. Just pull out the functionality you want from your Excel sheet and stick it in the add-in. You can then reference the add-in wherever, to access functions to calculate whatever, or pull information from a database, etc. Plenty of tutorials online for creating add-ins as well.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Probably not the best thread for it, but not sure where it would be. Where would I look for more in-depth explanations of derivatives? I don't know why, but I find them fascinating. I've already read ECONned and How I Caused the Credit Crisis (which actually has excellent explanations of arbitrage CDOs and such, interspersed with all the stripper/drugs bullshit). Preferably ones that are being commonly traded currently.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Our Gay Apparel posted:

Probably not the best thread for it, but not sure where it would be. Where would I look for more in-depth explanations of derivatives? I don't know why, but I find them fascinating. I've already read ECONned and How I Caused the Credit Crisis (which actually has excellent explanations of arbitrage CDOs and such, interspersed with all the stripper/drugs bullshit). Preferably ones that are being commonly traded currently.

What types of derivatives are you most interested in right now? Fixed Income derivatives like ABS, swaps and forwards? Options, commodity derivatives (like ETFs), or something like that? Most Finance textbooks have pretty good primers on most of the types.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

for theory hull is your best bet on derivatives, for business/war stories traders guns and money by das is good.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
So I work at a boutique advisory firm as a financial analyst. I kind of like working only roughly 35 hours a week(though I have and don't mind working up to 100 hours a week) and the pay isn't bad for 4 months out of college. Anyone got any career advice? I'm thinking I'm going to sign up for the June CFA level 1 exam. I just don't really know what paths I could take after all of that. Should I stay where I am at until I have the CFA designation and then reevaluate or try to jump ship to a larger hedge fund / BB / etc after two years. I'm fairly clueless and don't have anyone to really ask. Little background is I double majored in mathematics and economics and you can probably guess what school I went to. I had no internship because well lets just blame it on being lazy and the whole market crisis occurring when I was looking for an internship. Thank you.

lizardking fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 25, 2011

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

What types of derivatives are you most interested in right now? Fixed Income derivatives like ABS, swaps and forwards? Options, commodity derivatives (like ETFs), or something like that? Most Finance textbooks have pretty good primers on most of the types.

Fixed income. I'll look up the stuff the other guy mentioned, and look around for good textbooks.

Nodrog
Apr 17, 2002

by angerbeet
edit: ignore

Nodrog fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 28, 2011

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

lizardking posted:

So I work at a boutique advisory firm as a financial analyst. I kind of like working only roughly 35 hours a week(though I have and don't mind working up to 100 hours a week) and the pay isn't bad for 4 months out of college. Anyone got any career advice? I'm thinking I'm going to sign up for the June CFA level 1 exam. I just don't really know what paths I could take after all of that. Should I stay where I am at until I have the CFA designation and then reevaluate or try to jump ship to a larger hedge fund / BB / etc after two years. I'm fairly clueless and don't have anyone to really ask. Little background is I double majored in mathematics and economics and you can probably guess what school I went to. I had no internship because well lets just blame it on being lazy and the whole market crisis occurring when I was looking for an internship. Thank you.

Whatsup future business school buddy.

flyingfoggy
Jun 3, 2006

My fellow Obamas...

Morrissey. posted:

I'm hoping this is the correct thread for this. If not, I apologize. I'm just looking for a bit of help.

I'm sending out my resume and cover letter to a regional investment bank in hopes of securing a summer internship in 2012. There is no actual posting for the internship, but my father's been working with this group on a big project for a while and gave me the contact information for the/one of the Senior VP(s) at the branch. This is the digital equivalent of a cold call. I don't even know if this firm does internships, I'm just shooting in the dark here. I was filling in the email address and tabbed down to the subject line and drew a giant blank on what to put in there. Any advice? And at that, what would you suggest putting in the body of the email, since my intentions and whatnot are spelled out in the cover letter?

This might be too late - but since you probably have a full semester before they recruit summer interns (if they do) I would email and ask if he could spare a quick call or have coffee or something to ask questions about the profession and his career and any advice and such instead of just cold emailing your resume if nothing is posted and it's not last minute. Then you can follow up later on asking if they are looking to take interns. At the very least (assuming you get the meeting or at least email with him) he probably knows people who do need interns.

Disco Dickdog
Nov 30, 2007
I graduated in May from a non-target (but well-regarded) school with a bachelor's in economics, but a low GPA. I had internships on the buy side, and want to break into the financial world full-time somehow, preferably buy side or PE. I am pretty well connected, and other than the GPA my resume is solid (I think). Any tips? My cover letter skills are unpolished, but I write well. I'm willing to do almost anything to get in at the ground level somewhere.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

wescreweleven posted:

I graduated in May from a non-target (but well-regarded) school with a bachelor's in economics, but a low GPA. I had internships on the buy side, and want to break into the financial world full-time somehow, preferably buy side or PE. I am pretty well connected, and other than the GPA my resume is solid (I think). Any tips? My cover letter skills are unpolished, but I write well. I'm willing to do almost anything to get in at the ground level somewhere.

This is a really hard situation. Stay on your school's job board and keep spamming resumes. This is the time when I'd really try and think of every contact you and your parents have, and looking for your alumni directory and cold-calling. I'm not sure what else you can do. If you don't find something you might have to consider a masters program that would allow you to recruit again.

edit: And also, be realistic. You've already graduated, have a low GPA, and went to a non-target. Do you really think you're going to happen into one of those rare PE/buy-side analyst positions? Most PE jobs out of college are cold-calling anyway. Your best bet might be a small real estate investment company helping with their existing properties and helping do the diligence and analysis on potential acquisitions.

edit2: Also calling everyone you worked with during your "internships on the buy side" for anything they can give you.

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 10, 2011

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Its Miller Time posted:

This is a really hard situation. Stay on your school's job board and keep spamming resumes. This is the time when I'd really try and think of every contact you and your parents have, and looking for your alumni directory and cold-calling. I'm not sure what else you can do. If you don't find something you might have to consider a masters program that would allow you to recruit again.

edit: And also, be realistic. You've already graduated, have a low GPA, and went to a non-target. Do you really think you're going to happen into one of those rare PE/buy-side analyst positions? Most PE jobs out of college are cold-calling anyway. Your best bet might be a small real estate investment company helping with their existing properties and helping do the diligence and analysis on potential acquisitions.

edit2: Also calling everyone you worked with during your "internships on the buy side" for anything they can give you.

This is pretty practical advice, but I'd say you also have a more circuitous route - doing temp work and temp-to-perm positions at low levels of areas of finance you'd like to be in. It's no doubt more work and time intensive as you work your way up, but if this is where you want to be, it is doable.

Nevitt
May 30, 2011
Apologies if this isn't the correct thread. I've got a interview with a London based Hedge fund for an entry level quant analyst job as part of the Derivatives Trade Compression Team (not 100% sure on what this technically is). Background is just out of Bath doing Fluid Dynamics, no financial background, bit of Matlab/Fortran programming. Is there anything I should really be doing in addition to this

- Researched company background and main people to a certain extent.
- Trying to get through as much of Crack's "Basic Black-Scholes" and "Heard on the street" as possible. Further with Hull's "Options, Futures and Derivatives".
- Reading up on Greece, Euro, general goings on in markets, etc.

Does anyone have experience of going through these sorts of interviews?

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Nevitt posted:

I've got a interview with a London based Hedge fund for an entry level quant analyst job as part of the Derivatives Trade Compression Team (not 100% sure on what this technically is).

That team is responsible for finding ways to "compress" a portfolio of derivatives by recreating the position using fewer contracts. This leaves the resulting position the same but less complex, which can reduce counterparty risk.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

Nevitt posted:

Apologies if this isn't the correct thread. I've got a interview with a London based Hedge fund for an entry level quant analyst job as part of the Derivatives Trade Compression Team (not 100% sure on what this technically is). Background is just out of Bath doing Fluid Dynamics, no financial background, bit of Matlab/Fortran programming. Is there anything I should really be doing in addition to this

- Trying to get through as much of Crack's "Basic Black-Scholes" and "Heard on the street" as possible. Further with Hull's "Options, Futures and Derivatives".

It sounds like you're on the right track in terms of your preparation so far. Keep researching the formulae that you'd likely be using. Be sure that your advanced math skills are up to par though, just to be safe. Good luck on your interview!

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Nevitt posted:

IMO do not worry too much about your lack of finance background - that can be taught, and they won't be expecting you to know. In fact, it can count against you if you claim to know about some particular financial topic and then get it wrong

Your interviewer will instead be looking for raw intellectual horsepower and the ability to learn

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
One thing I never understood about banking: Say the corporate banking division of a bank says that it offers it's customers structured derivatives products. Say a futures foreign currency exchange hedged against currency flucuation. Who are the actual parties involved? Do they sell to the bank, or another party and the deal is brokered by the bank? Sorry if the question is a little broad, I'm just hazy on a few general concepts and I'm trying to peg it down properly.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 23, 2011

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Hoops posted:

One thing I never understood about banking: Say the corporate banking division of a bank says that it offers it's customers structured derivatives products. Say a futures foreign currency exchange hedged against currency flucuation. Who are the actual parties involved? Do they sell to the bank, or another party and the deal is brokered by the bank? Sorry if the question is a little broad, I'm just hazy on a few general concepts and I'm trying to peg it down properly.

At most banks that would fall under Investment Banking. The Corporate Bankers might use it as a selling point but the actual process of creating a product is done by the Investment Bankers. I worked on an OTC Derivatives sales desk. The bank takes the opposing side of the trade and hedges it on the back end and the product is marked daily.

realqueenbetty
Nov 2, 2005

And then swing your swift sword, sister
Swing your swift sword now
Swing your swift sword, sister, sister
I'm going to reach out next week to an alum from my school who's an administrative assistant at a hedge fund. Wish me luck.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

realqueenbetty posted:

I'm going to reach out next week to an alum from my school who's an administrative assistant at a hedge fund. Wish me luck.

If you have a connection I would ask for the admin to get you in touch with a director or something. Not sure an admin would really be in a position to help you out.

realqueenbetty
Nov 2, 2005

And then swing your swift sword, sister
Swing your swift sword, sister, sister
Maybe not directly, but she could certainly be the one to put in a good word at a firm where I know no one. I cold-called an admin at another hedge fund once and she got my resume to the head of business development. Ultimately, I got turned away via snail mail, but at least I got an audience.

Jer
May 23, 2003

nba balla/entrapenour
Would anyone be willing to give me a quick opinion on a presentation I've been working on? :shobon: I'm in a case competition and our assignment is to do a PowerPoint on an acquisition target.

Having someone take a look at our valuations and thought process would be very very very much appreciated :)

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

FT Recruiting is looking like an absolute bloodbath for people right now. Thank god I have another year although we could be in apocalyptic hell-scape by then I suppose.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

Thoogsby posted:

FT Recruiting is looking like an absolute bloodbath for people right now. Thank god I have another year although we could be in apocalyptic hell-scape by then I suppose.

Everyone I've spoken to says they're not going to make any FT hiring decisions until January at the earliest in the BBs.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?

Thoogsby posted:

Confirming its a bloodbath. Evidently a shitload of banks literally pulled apps from school job boards, that's what I've been hearing from all over. Seems to have happened at mine (Ivy, not Harvard/Wharton) as well. Real scary poo poo.

Definitely a great time to have an offer. Not my first-choice but in this environment I'll take what I can get.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Yeah I think I'm starting to see the writing on the wall. I may not even go for Summer Analyst positions and try to work my way into something like the GE Financial Management Program.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

I go to a target ivy and I would say most BBs have pulled their apps and those who haven't have what looks like very limited openings in non-ideal groups. For reference, I had around 12 interviews before I chose my summer internship. It's almost October and I've had 3 interviews. As someone else mentioned, the BB where I interned is waiting a few months to decide whether to extend an offer to me.

Last year was completely different for FT. It's looking pretty bleak now.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Thoogsby posted:

Yeah I think I'm starting to see the writing on the wall. I may not even go for Summer Analyst positions and try to work my way into something like the GE Financial Management Program.

Pretty sure FMP is more competitive than your run of the mill bulge bracket regional office.

edit: And a word on the FT process. Given the backlog of qualified candidates, you really only have a shot if you did a good ibanking summer stint or are a Rhode scholar. I know most of the FT hiring at UCLA even last year was done laterally and informally before the school year even started, as it's completely an employer's market.

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 29, 2011

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Its Miller Time posted:

Pretty sure FMP is more competitive than your run of the mill bulge bracket regional office.

edit: And a word on the FT process. Given the backlog of qualified candidates, you really only have a shot if you did a good ibanking summer stint or are a Rhode scholar. I know most of the FT hiring at UCLA even last year was done laterally and informally before the school year even started, as it's completely an employer's market.

My schools a big target for FMP. They take 3-4 interns a semester into the rotation and I know two starting full time, 1 in Healthcare and 1 in Capital, in January.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Jer posted:

Would anyone be willing to give me a quick opinion on a presentation I've been working on? :shobon: I'm in a case competition and our assignment is to do a PowerPoint on an acquisition target.

Having someone take a look at our valuations and thought process would be very very very much appreciated :)

Happy to look at if you still need it; PM me

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Fun read on TED from yesterday:

http://epicureandealmaker.blogspot.com/2011/09/hard-rain-gonna-fall.html

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?
TED is quite literally my favorite website and I wish the author was my MD. He's obviously really loving smart, but his writing style just blows me away. I bet he's great to work for.

Also I just got an interview from a F500 business strategy group. Which is what I want to do after banking anyways and I haven't accepted my offer yet... Pay is substantially (like 40%) less evidently but the chance of me actually enjoying my early 20s rises substantially. Also ironic is that I worked on a deal for them as a client this summer, but they'd have no way of knowing that as it wasn't on my resume/didn't write a cover letter.

Socialism
May 9, 2009

tolerabletariff posted:

TED is quite literally my favorite website and I wish the author was my MD. He's obviously really loving smart, but his writing style just blows me away. I bet he's great to work for.

He seems intense and extremely meticulous. Probably a great person to learn from but can be a nightmare with work for. I have an MD who is the most personable guy in the world, but comes up with turns at 2am like there's no tomorrow.

Congrats on the interview and offer :) I would strongly lean toward the strategy offer. If I could take a 40% pay cut and even just work 30% 20% 15% less I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Hope everyone in NYC is ok with the protest and all, my friends at Deutsche are having a hell of a time getting to work. :ohdear: Thankfully my bank (as most banks nowadays) is in midtown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?
Yeah isn't GS the only bank that has its main offices on Wall? I was regional this summer/NY full-time (if I accept, I'm got to a final round with the strategy job and have a few other interviews lined up) and my bank along with every other I know of is Midtown or higher.

Also got yet another interview from a F500 corporate strategy position at a client of the group I interned with, and once again it wasn't something I put in my resume/didn't write a cover letter. Should I be borderline nervous that my group could find out about this? I mean I still have 21 days to accept so I don't think they're allowed to cancel my offer but if they did... well that'd suck rear end.

• Locked thread