Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

The earlier one I was thinking of doesn't actually cover it: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/05/you-are-ref-tim-cahill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Psybro posted:

In both cases, a goal was denied, then a second action occurred resulting in a goal. By your own admission the wording of the law says 'goal or goalscoring opportunity'.

Except it doesn't break it down into separate instances the way you're claiming it is. To use another example from YATR, consider a striker who is fouled just as he's about to tap the ball in and the other striker lets it run out of play to make sure it's a red card. That's not a DOGSO because there was still a OGSO in the run of play.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Green Eyed Loco-Man posted:

What is this "potential abuse" you speak of? Who is being harmed by a player failing to avoid conceding a goal by committing a non-violent foul?

If you try and handle it off the line but gently caress it up and nothing bad happens, you may as well try and handle it off the line all the time. In practice people always will try and handle it and risk the penalty and red due to the possibility of preventing a goal, but the idea that it's enshrined in the laws doesn't seem correct to me.

Green Eyed Loco-Man
Aug 27, 2008

Psybro posted:

If you try and handle it off the line but gently caress it up and nothing bad happens, you may as well try and handle it off the line all the time. In practice people always will try and handle it and risk the penalty and red due to the possibility of preventing a goal, but the idea that it's enshrined in the laws doesn't seem correct to me.

You're completely losing me here. The only reason denying a goal by handling it is a red is because it denies a goal. When it doesn't, there's no reason for a red card. It's really not necessary to attach heuristic significance to the laws of the game and ponder the philosophical implications of every decision.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Isn't the handball rule only for "deliberate" handling? Since it specifically says that the catch was "instinctive" (despite there probably being no way to tell in a real case) this is almost certainly no penalty.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
I think I'm fighting a losing battle here so I propose we simply get Mike Riley to officiate an identical scenario, then do the opposite of what he does.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

xK1 posted:

Isn't the handball rule only for "deliberate" handling? Since it specifically says that the catch was "instinctive" (despite there probably being no way to tell in a real case) this is almost certainly no penalty.

How would the ref go about determining the player's intent in this case?

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Dollas posted:

Well, as I said, in a real situation he probably couldn't. It would have to be a judgement call, but for the sake of this week's question it specifically says that it wasn't intentional.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Out on the pitch the only time that "I didn't mean to!" is an excuse is when you're defending yourself from a ball that's been kicked at you from point-blank range; "deliberate" does not mean the player has to consciously think "tee hee, I'm going to cheat now" and twirl his moustache before handling.

Psybro posted:

If you try and handle it off the line but gently caress it up and nothing bad happens

There's a phrase called "unsporting behaviour". It'll blow your mind what it can cover.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Dollas posted:

Ask him. These footballing chaps seem like an honest lot to me, I'm sure he'd tell the truth.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Trin Tragula posted:

There's a phrase called "unsporting behaviour". It'll blow your mind what it can cover.

So, should it be a yellow for unsporting conduct? My thought was that it would be the least the player should get, but didn't mention it as I was arguing for the much stronger sanction.

Psybro fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 21, 2011

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Aaaaaand:

Hackett posted:

1) There is no way he can play wearing that sort of equipment. It is not a question of whether or not he is medically fit to play – that is not your call. It's about whether the item represents a danger to himself or his opponents. This sort of collar clearly falls into the same category as snoods, which were outlawed last year because of the risk of them being caught as players run. Tell the player and his manager that the collar must be removed, and remind the player that, if he continues without it, he does so at his own risk. Thanks to Richard Collins.

2) The player has saved himself from a red card, but has cost his team a goal. Had he not thrown it into the net then clearly you would have dismissed him and awarded a penalty. As it is, show him a yellow card for unsporting behaviour and award the goal. Thanks to Phillip Mercer.

3) Your first priority, of course, is to get the medical staff on to see to the injured player, and to make sure he leaves the pitch until the bleeding has stopped. As for the striker: his action was careless rather than reckless, and there was no malice, so there is no reason to show him a second yellow card. Restart with a direct free-kick. Peter Little wins the shirt.

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time

Hackett posted:

As for the striker: his action was careless rather than reckless,

Surely by virtue of this alone it's a yellow card? Malice or otherwise it's dangerous play.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Sonic H posted:

Surely by virtue of this alone it's a yellow card? Malice or otherwise it's dangerous play.

I was confused, because careless and reckless were both mentioned on the direct free kick. But the interpretation of the law says:

Law 12 interpretation posted:

“Reckless” means that the player has acted with complete disregard to the
danger to, or consequences for, his opponent.
• A player who plays in a reckless manner must be cautioned

I guess my fault was in assuming that dangerous play was a level above reckless.

Here's what it says for careless:

Law 12 Interpretation posted:

“Careless” means that the player has shown a lack of attention or
consideration when making a challenge or that he acted without precaution.
• No further disciplinary sanction is needed if a foul is judged to be careless

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
if you can't wear a snood, why would you let a player wear a neck brace

Psybro
May 12, 2002
I had no loving idea 'careless' was a thing, fascinating.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is punching Gary Neville in the face reckless or careless?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is punching Gary Neville in the face reckless or careless?

Its careless for your account.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
whoops look what everyone forgot to do

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
1) Don't see anything wrong with this. He didn't handle the ball and not dangerous, so no foul.

2) I don't think he'd be allowed to wear it. Maybe we'll get some sort of answer to Pissflaps turban question finally?

3) Disallowed, he's touched the ball twice. Not sure if it's a retake or just disallowed, probably the latter as I don't think you'd be allowed retake a freekick in the same situation.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 28, 2011

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
1: Goal stands.

2: Throw the LOAF at him. If it can be a danger to himself or others, demand he take it off or don't allow him to play.

3: IDFK to the defending team, goal disallowed.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010
1) No foul but the intent was there. Does this count as unsporting behaviour -> yellow? Goal stands, anyway.
2) I think he's probably right on the legal side. Presumably we can make him tape it up like for wedding rings.
3) Two touches, no goal, standard.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
1)Let the goal stand since he did get the ball in with his knees and his hand didn't touch the ball in the first place.
2)Keep him off the field for the safely for the other players on the pitch.
3)If it was all in one motion I would allow the goal but it seem there was a a little delay so I'll have the guy retake the penalty.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
1) Yellow card for unsportsmanlike conduct and because that incident happened before the goal it is disallowed as the play can be deemed to have stopped as soon as the offence was committed.

2) Tell him to tape it up and mention it in your match report.

3) Disallowed for touching the ball twice, free kick to the defending team.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

SteadfastMeat posted:

whoops look what everyone forgot to do
Again

quote:

Keith Hackett's verdict

1) A great question. Attempting to trip, kick or strike an opponent is an offence which you must punish – but attempting to handle the ball is not. So, while you may be tempted to disallow the goal for unsporting behaviour, you should follow the law to the letter: he has not handled the ball, so the goal stands. Nathan Simmonds-Buckley wins the shirt.
2) Your focus has to be on enforcing the laws of the game, which could not be more clear on this. A player must not wear anything that is dangerous to himself or another player – bracelets are not allowed, and neither is covering them with tape. If the player is unhappy with the policy he needs to take it up with the league or FA, but in the short term you must make sure the bracelet is removed for everyone's safety. If he refuses to take it off, he cannot come on. Thanks to Sahib Phull.
3) If you are certain there has been a double kick – and it would be hard to spot in real time – then disallow the goal and restart with an indirect free-kick. Even if it was not intentional, the striker has played the ball twice without another player having touched it. Thanks to Laszlo Sandler.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
It's Friday!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
That accurately captures the punchability of Samir Nasri's loving french lesbian horse face

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

1) Retake the goal kick. Doesn't count as being taken until the ball leaves the area.

2) Certainly send the second player off, but I'd say both should go.

3) Surely if the keeper's off his line, the goal shouldn't be given? Anyway, it's the ref's fault for not checking the goals before the match. I would say abandon the game and replay it at a later date.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Mickolution posted:

1) Retake the goal kick. Doesn't count as being taken until the ball leaves the area.

2) Certainly send the second player off, but I'd say both should go.

3) Surely if the keeper's off his line, the goal shouldn't be given? Anyway, it's the ref's fault for not checking the goals before the match. I would say abandon the game and replay it at a later date.

1) retake goal kick. Book defender for unsporting play or send him off if it was dangerous or violent play.

2) spitting around players like that is in itself unsporting. Book
Both.

3) goal stands but call off game anyway so it doesn't matter. Report to fa and punch local groudsman in the face. Especially if he's Gary Neville.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Masonity posted:

2) spitting around players like that is in itself unsporting. Book
Both.

I think it's a red. Certainly for the second one, which was intentional.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Mickolution posted:

I think it's a red. Certainly for the second one, which was intentional.

Yeah but booking one and sending off the other is ultra cuntish. Sending both off is semi cuntish while booking both is the path of least cuntishness.

If I was a ref my mantra would be "rule one: dont be a oval office"

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, but as we've seen You Are The Ref is about the rules, not common sense.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Masonity posted:

Yeah but booking one and sending off the other is ultra cuntish. Sending both off is semi cuntish while booking both is the path of least cuntishness.

If I was a ref my mantra would be "rule one: dont be a oval office"

Agreed.

You are the ref, now don't be a oval office.

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Plus I gotta keep enough lettuce to support your shoe fetish.
1. Disallow, as the goal kick hasn't been taken, right? Probably a yellow too.
2. Yellow for the first, red for the second.
3. Goalie is off the line, so the penalty is disallowed, but the game is cancelled anyway. The goal is a vital part of the game, right?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

DiscipleoftheClaw posted:

1. Disallow, as the goal kick hasn't been taken, right? Probably a yellow too.
2. Yellow for the first, red for the second.
3. Goalie is off the line, so the penalty is disallowed, but the game is cancelled anyway. The goal is a vital part of the game, right?

Goalie off his line only disallows a miss, allowing a retake. The offending team has to break the rules for the goal to be disallowed.

With the situation as it was, and being youth football, it wouldn't be unreasonable to either call it an away win (for awful management of the facilities) or a rematch from 0 minutes anyway.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

SteadfastMeat posted:

It's Friday!

#1: If the ball didn't go outside of the box, retake the goal kick. Send the defender off for being a oval office.
#2: Send them both off for being cunts. (Technically you could book the first guy for unsportsmanlike conduct then red the second guy for deliberately spitting at another player, but if you send the second guy off for spitting you can't really not march the first guy as well.)
#3: Allow the goal, then cancel the game, call it a 3-0 away win because the home team can't keep their goalposts standing. (Also might depend on league rules. Other options: re-play the game at a later date, or shift to a different pitch at the same ground. Either way, goal stands.)

Psybro
May 12, 2002

SteadfastMeat posted:

It's Friday!

1) Goal kick never happened. Start over.

2) Tell the first guy off because spitting is gross. Send off the lad who did it deliberately.

3) That kid is a pussy so award the goal, but abandon the match because the groundskeeper is a necropaedo.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

1) Retake and depending how bad the foul book appropriately
2) Book both. Probably send both off for spitting on each other. That must have been some strong wind. The second guy would definitely be getting a red.
3) Its a loving junior game so I would disallow the goal + call the game off and start punching everyone who runs the ground in the face for nearly killing a kid.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!

quote:

1) Depending on the severity of the hacking offence, caution or send off the defender. It is not a straight red card for denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity though, because the ball was not in play – it had not left the penalty area. So, having dealt with the defender, restart with a retaken goal-kick. Thanks to Jim Potter.

2) One of the players has committed a deliberate offence, one has not. So show the defender a red card for deliberately spitting at an opponent. The striker's act might not have been pleasant, but it was not deliberate, so there is no action to take against him. Restart play with a penalty to the attacking team. Peter Madson wins the shirt.

3) You are still within your rights to change your decision because play has not restarted. So disallow the goal, and, if the crossbar cannot be repaired or replaced, abandon the game – unless there is an alternative pitch available. Report what happened to the relevant authorities – this could have been a very serious incident. Thanks to Raphael KH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
RAAAHHH! It's Friday!

• Locked thread