Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Twisted Paradox posted:

The hair seems to match Akihiko's and I really don't see a collar there. I really want Kanji to be in though.

Akihiko would fit in a brawler/boxer style fighter that these games typically have.

Gotta think about this in fighting game archetypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Akihiko would fit in a brawler/boxer style fighter that these games typically have.

Alternately, Kanji hits people with folding chairs.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Twisted Paradox posted:

The hair seems to match Akihiko's and I really don't see a collar there. I really want Kanji to be in though.

It's Kanji, the popped collar and intense face pretty much confirm that. Aki's always in a vest and is usually very reserved.

Policenaut posted:

Who is saying that Akihiko is not in the game? I'm saying that's Kanji's picture. There are now five Persona 4 characters and only 1 Persona 3 character, I'm sure Akihiko has as much potential to be in this game as Yukari and Junpei.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Axle_Stukov posted:

So looking at Mary/Marie's hat, I notice the gold button on her hat has a "V" on it. I really hope I'm just overthinking this and that she isn't somehow connected to the Velvet Room or some other nonsense.

Stupid theory: It's Elizabeth in disguise.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Yeah, not sold on the fighting game. That's just dumb. The only remake I've been okay with is Eternal Punishment on the PSP for awhile now, because it goes with IS and I'm that much of a whore for Persona 2. HEY SPEAKING OF

So I knit, as I don't think any of you know. And I'm a gigantic dork, so I knit nerdy stuff.

Turns out there are a lot of knitted Cthulhu patterns, but guess who's left out? Yeah, you all know where this is going.

Knitted Nyarlathotep, drat straight.

I didn't just design and knit him, actually. I also dyed the green and blue yarn. And spun everything myself. I built this from the ground up. (well, minus shearing the sheep and combing the wool. That's for next time.) Okay, so for a bit of the sewing I had to use some commercial yarn I had lying around, but that's it. Specifically, the arms and legs attaching to the body. Head, knees, and tentacles are all sewn on with handspun.

Here's a close-up of his face and hands. Sorry about the lovely picture quality, all I have is my cell phone. Also my incredibly messy room.

From the back.

He's absolutely huge, too. I really wasn't expecting him to be so big. But carrying him with the head on my shoulder, legs are right around my hips. The weird tentacle head thing just makes him even taller. Also he's way floppy. The neck especially could've used more stuffing. I think next time I'll try to make his legs a bit shorter and arms a bit larger. Oh well, this is version 0.1 anyway. I'm going to try again someday...just probably not now.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Well.

Until about an hour ago I had no idea that I wanted a Persona fighting game so badly.

I want a Persona fighting game very, very badly now.

(what the hell is with all the haters in this thread? no, this fighting game does not mean that they are never making P5.)

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Persona fighting game is the game I never knew I always wanted.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Ryoshi posted:

Well.

Until about an hour ago I had no idea that I wanted a Persona fighting game so badly.

(what the hell is with all the haters in this thread? no, this fighting game does not mean that they are never making P5.)

Particularly so because they apparently told Famitsu that P5 pre-dev's done!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really don't care for the fighting game because I don't like Blazblue nor am I a big fan of Persona 3 or 4. I'd only consider buying it if a few of the characters I really liked from P3 or 4 (Yukari, Junpei, Shinjiro, Naoto, Adachi and maybe Akihiko) managed to make it in. Otherwise I'm really more interested in the P4 Portable version and even then I'd like news of a new video game being developed by Atlus and not just remakes.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Does anyone have the photoshop/april fools joke/whatever it was from like a few years back that was a mock-up of 32bit Persona fighting game?

It seems apropos to bring that up due to recent developments.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Strange Matter posted:

Does anyone have the photoshop/april fools joke/whatever it was from like a few years back that was a mock-up of 32bit Persona fighting game?

It seems apropos to bring that up due to recent developments.

This?

Edit:

Somewhat related.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 31, 2011

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Who's announced so far bros

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

TurnipFritter posted:

This?
The very same.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!
I'm a big fan of both BlazBlue and the Persona series, and while I love the concept, and I want to just jump on and get really excited for this game, I'm gonna wait till we hear more to see if it's worth getting all hyped up about.

Then again, I'm probably going to buy it day 1. :v:

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

So you're going to give us a discount when you start selling these right? Seriously good job.

Jackoff Pastorius
May 16, 2010
I know it won't happen, but I really want Funky Student riding Mysterious Fox as an unlockable character.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I think another major factor that really works against having a female protagonist is that not only would scenes for a 100 hour game have to be rewritten, they'd also have to be modeled and animated. :smith:

Looking at the screenshots of the P4G game makes me want to play it more than when it was just a text announcement. Still, though, I don't think it's enough to make me want to jump into the rat race of being an early adopter of a system. It just makes me wish I had lots of money to throw around, instead of doing the logical thing and waiting for price drops and later redesigned versions of consoles/handhelds.

Ryoshi posted:

Well.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea. I'm morbidly curious to see just what the hell they could possibly do with a giant crossover story. Oooh, and I'm calling it now: Shinjiro will probably be a secret character.

And I agree with the sentiment about there being a lot of haters. Maybe at my old experienced gamer age of 26 I'm just more patient about things, but I don't see why every time it's announced that the team is working on another project, people freak out that it's not Persona 5, and come to the worst-case scenario conclusion that if it's not the announcement this time then OH GOD IT MUST NOT BE BEING MADE.

ETA: Andriasang has a write up on the parts of the article that discuss Persona 5.

Same team, Katsura Hashino is director, Shigenori Soejima is character designer, and Shouji Meguro is main composer. The team has the basic concept and planning almost done, and knows pretty much what they want to do. The game's expected to move into actual development soon-ish. Hashino warns that there's probably going to be a long wait before the release.

On the technical side, the game is done on an engine developed in-house by the team, unlike Catherine, which used a third-party engine.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 31, 2011

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

There are enough games coming out. I can wait for Persona 5.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Is the PS3/360 version of the fighter supposed to be a download, or is it a full disc based game?

If it's a disc, it better have MVC2 levels of characters. :colbert:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Andriasang's writeup on the Persona fighter game

Lifted from there:

Arcade Mode: Face off against CPU opponents while following the story

Story Mode: Delve deeper into the arcade mode's story. This will be exclusive to the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game.

Score Attack Mode: Face off against CPU opponents to get the high score

VS Mode: Face off against a CPU or human opponent

Online Battle: Face off against players throughout the world in online combat

The game will include original stories for all its included characters, which come from both Persona 4 and Persona 3. The overarching story is set two months after the events of Persona 4. The characters appear on a fighting program called "P-1 Grand Prix."

-------

Write up on P4G Vita's features
Lifted:

* 3G and Wi-Fi support
* New event scenes
* Added Personas
* Added character outfits
* New character Marie, voiced by Kana Hanazawa. She's a "mysterious girl" who appears before the main characters.
*When you're about to die in a dungeon, you can send a message seeking help to other players. It's not specified how this system will work exactly.
* Additional anime movie scenes, with new voices
* 1.5 times the voice of the PS2 original
* New song for the opening movie
*An element that has been highly requested by fans

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Catalina posted:

*An element that has been highly requested by fans

Anyone have any idea what this could be? I can't think of any feature that was missing in P4 and that people may want. Might be female route, but would they be cryptic with something so big?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Catalina posted:

Write up on P4G Vita's features
Lifted:

* 3G and Wi-Fi support

*When you're about to die in a dungeon, you can send a message seeking help to other players. It's not specified how this system will work exactly.

Demons' Souls multiplayer interactivity in a staunchly single player SMT game seems like an odd but kinda exciting idea.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
That better freakin' be referring to the female route.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Cake Attack posted:

Anyone have any idea what this could be? I can't think of any feature that was missing in P4 and that people may want. Might be female route, but would they be cryptic with something so big?

The ability to romance Yosuke.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

Yeah. I wish they wouldn't get my hopes up, haha.

Throwing out ideas here, it could be a manly romance patch with Kanji, the ability to wear the cross-dressing outfits in battle, or maybe a way to go out with Margaret on dates. Oh wait, the last one is something I personally would want.

Pureauthor posted:

The ability to romance Yosuke.

I thought of that, too, but, I think I read in a Persona 4 interview once that the thing in Persona 2 was done to test the reaction by fangirls who liked boy-boy romance. I don't think yaoi fangirls make enough of the fanbase to connect to that kind of announcement, but then again, about 50%+ of the doujinshi I ever see listed is of the MC and Yosuke, so what would I know?

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
That's actually a pretty good guess, something that I find very likely, now that you mention it.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 31, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Maybe an Adachi social link? I've seen that requested a lot.

Koops
Mar 27, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

Mopeds!

Yosuke, no. You're just going to crash again.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Demons' Souls multiplayer interactivity in a staunchly single player SMT game seems like an odd but kinda exciting idea.

Man I would never need another game if the multiplayer is like Demons' Souls'. I have no idea how it would work, but from the sound of it, it seems to be potentially similar to blue phantoming, which could be really cool if done well. It would be even more awesome if you could invade other players in some capacity, maybe even control the enemies in a random encounter, but that's really unlikely.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The fact wi-fi is even being used is making me heavily intrigued about what they're changing up for the Vita version of P4. That and the fact that Marie might be more than just a social link, even a playable character, means the possibility for heavy change-up in the story as well.

P4 fighting game just excites me for no discernible reason. Also confirmation that P5 is still being worked on, which is nice.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Catalina posted:

I thought of that, too, but, I think I read in a Persona 4 interview once that the thing in Persona 2 was done to test the reaction by fangirls who liked boy-boy romance. I don't think yaoi fangirls make enough of the fanbase to connect to that kind of announcement, but then again, about 50%+ of the doujinshi I ever see listed is of the MC and Yosuke, so what would I know?

The fanbase is a lot different now though - especially since IS never saw a release outside of Japan. Seems a bit strange to assume things based on what the fanbase was like so long ago.

also oh god why am i so hype for all this

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
So apparently no female route. On the upside, the moped takes you to Okina Market by the sea, whatever that might mean.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Allarion posted:

So apparently no female route. On the upside, the moped takes you to Okina Market by the sea, whatever that might mean.

Oh, huh. If I'm remembering right, Okina is that shopping center where a bunch of the S. Links have scenes -- mostly Ai, but you hang out there with Yosuke once or twice too, and a few of Rise's "recognized by fans" scenes happen there. Probably incorporated with this apparent special outfits feature.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Cake Attack posted:

A reroll button when fusing personas!

Man, when I woke up and found over 200 posts in this thread since last night I was pretty pumped, but I have zero interest in fighting games of any sort, so that and finding out that they're only just now starting development on P5 was a huge letdown. I thought one of the reasons behind Catherine was as a test-run for a current-gen engine they could then use for main-series games, but I guess that was just some wishful thinking fan theory? :smith:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Apparently they found the Gamembryo engine too limiting, so they're making their own engine for Persona 5.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Persona 5 is the next generation's Duke Nukem Forever.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Radish posted:

So the MC will be busting out the rape jokes?

:dukedog: "sorry mother harlot, you're hosed"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Radish posted:

Haha no, that's FFvsXIII.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Radish posted:

I think you'll find that the next generation's Duke Nukem Forever will be Final Fantasy Versus XIII. Persona 5 still has quite a few years to go before it develops DNF syndrome.

edit:^^^^beat me to it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Allarion posted:

The fact wi-fi is even being used is making me heavily intrigued about what they're changing up for the Vita version of P4. That and the fact that Marie might be more than just a social link, even a playable character, means the possibility for heavy change-up in the story as well.

P4 fighting game just excites me for no discernible reason. Also confirmation that P5 is still being worked on, which is nice.
It's not gonna be multiplayer it's gonna be one of those things where if your party dies you can connect online so someone can "save" you so you don't lose progress or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Rinkles posted:

I was thinking it'd be more like a hint based system, kind of like the messages in Demons Souls. Like you send out a WiFi SOS and someone sends make a message listed from a long list of messages. Like, "use darkness on this floor" or something to that effect.
Having a buddy system in the dungeon would be pointless. Also, a turn based multiplayer sounds kind of boring.

Allarion posted:

The fact wi-fi is even being used is making me heavily intrigued about what they're changing up for the Vita version of P4.

I think its more them just testing out the hardware and probably is just going to have a plain feature for it. Kind of like how Dragon Quest 9 had a big Wifi Enabled feature, but really all it was was you being able to tell if someone in the same area as you was also playing the game. Maybe you could link up and trade or something, idk, I may be missing something.

casual poster fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 31, 2011