Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cams
Mar 28, 2003

TheBigBad posted:

Mrs. Landingham
This is a terrible thing to do to a cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eclectic taste
Jun 5, 2004

Future Schmidt
From In Excelsis Deo

quote:

Bartlet and Toby enter THE OVAL OFFICE.

BARTLET
Hi.

TOBY
Yes, sir.

BARTLET
How you doing?

TOBY
I’m fine. Thank you, sir.

BARTLET
Apparently I’ve arranged for an honor guard for somebody.

TOBY
Yes, sir, I’m sorry, I...

BARTLET
No, no, just tell me, is there anything else I’ve arranged for? We’re still in NATO, right?

TOBY
Yes, sir.

BARTLET
What’s going on?

TOBY
A homeless man died last night, a Korean War Veteran, who was wearing a coat I had gave
to the Goodwill. It had my card in it.

BARTLET
Toby, you’re not responsible...

TOBY
An hour and twenty minutes for the ambulance to get there. A Lance Corporal, United
States Marine Corps, Second of the Seventh. The guy got better treatment at Panmunjong.

BARTLET
Toby, if we start pulling strings like this, you don’t think every homeless veteran
would come out of the woodworks?

TOBY
I can only hope, sir.

I love this little back & forth.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Fitz was a scene-stealer. My favorite is this scene with him and Leo in the situation room. They go from cute to unsettlingly insightful in seconds.

All seven season spoilers.
I have to say, I really like Will, and it breaks my heart when he and Toby fought because both of them were my favorites. While I didn't agree with it, I respected Will's decision to back Russell early on. All the senior staffers thought he was bland and mediocre, but in Russell's first episodes he set out to really be an effective politician. He earned my respect for reacting to Will and Toby's attacks on the teleprompter with grace, and he proved himself to be intelligent during the nuclear testing episode, when it was he who recalled that Israelis were testing submarine launched nukes.

Russell was not the natural leader Bartlett was, but he seemed willing to learn, and Will was a true kingmaker. He even got a dead guy elected! Bingo Bob would not have been a great president like Santos or Bartlett, but Will could craft him into a decent democrat, which to me is infinitely preferable over a strong Republican like Vinick.

I also enjoyed his romance with Kate. I thought it was hilarious how they had their first romantic encounter, standing next to each other at formal party, pretending to talk to each other to avoid having to talk to other people :3:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Josh Lyman posted:

So my roommate and I have settled on CJ for the girl, but we're debating between Sam and Leo for the boy. Thoughts?

They should be Ed and Larry regardless of gender :colbert:

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I'm sticking to mrs landingham, because you can yell at a cat as much as you can yell at her. Or at least with the same effectiveness.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

TheBigBad posted:

I'm sticking to mrs landingham, because you can yell at a cat as much as you can yell at her. Or at least with the same effectiveness.

This is about the best argument I've seen yet.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

cams posted:

This is a terrible thing to do to a cat.

But then she could ward off bears.
Leo had it right though, human names for cats is weird.
Call 'em Flamingo and Princeton.

Re; Will. Bob was useless but no other democrat had a pulse and he was offered a crazy good opportunity to be the VP's right hand man. Even Toby and Josh couldn't name a worthwhile nominee until Santos fell into Josh's lap. They didn't want Russel but damned if they could come up with anything better.
After that I think it became a mater of pride. He got a dead guy elected despite the White House calling him a joke and now the people who brought him in are giving him constant poo poo for doing a great job once again. If Russel were remotely interesting and capable Will's situation would have been far more sympathetic.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ratatozsk posted:

This is about the best argument I've seen yet.

Just keep the cat away from cars

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Caufman posted:

Fitz was a scene-stealer. My favorite is this scene with him and Leo in the situation room. They go from cute to unsettlingly insightful in seconds.

One of the best scenes in the series, and an incredibly poignant comment on the state of warfare in the modern world.

Also that improv (I assume) at the beginning is awesome.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

El Grillo posted:

One of the best scenes in the series, and an incredibly poignant comment on the state of warfare in the modern world.

Also that improv (I assume) at the beginning is awesome.

Sorkin wouldnt give up writing credit for that gold.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Does season 3, episode 18, "Stirred", make a lick of sense to anyone else?

About 4 episodes in to the series, the VP and Leo are talking in the aftermath of Leo's separation, and the VP informs Leo that he can come to his AA meeting. It's a touching moment, and nothing more is said about it (the meeting, certainly not Leo's alcoholishm) until...

The episode opens with Leo at a meeting, and the VP starts the meeting with "my name is John, I'm an alcoholic". And Leo is shocked, shocked I say, to discover that there is gambling at this establishment. Wasn't it firmly implied that the VP was running an AA meeting because he, well, needed an AA meeting? Why is Leo shocked? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Incidentally, this is the same episode where Donna's former teacher is retiring, and the president calls the teacher, and Donna says "I'm in the oval office with the president of the united states and it's because of you", and if you don't cry when she says that, I detest everything you stand for. Amazing.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
The middle of your post certainly doesn't make a lick of sense to me :v:

Without having seen it in a while, isn't it pretty obvious Leo is joking about the gambling? After all, the senior staff play poker in Leo's office fairly frequently.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It's a Casablanca reference. Huzzah! (Hell, Toby even uses the same line in an early season 3 episode).

I just thought it was strange that the VP holds a meeting early in season 1, yet it is somehow a reveal in season 3 that he is... an alcoholic. I thought it was obvious to the rest of us two years ago.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Incidentally, this is the same episode where Donna's former teacher is retiring, and the president calls the teacher, and Donna says "I'm in the oval office with the president of the united states and it's because of you", and if you don't cry when she says that, I detest everything you stand for. Amazing.

:hfive: :3:

(well, almost cry)

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I just thought it was strange that the VP holds a meeting early in season 1, yet it is somehow a reveal in season 3 that he is... an alcoholic. I thought it was obvious to the rest of us two years ago.

Leo isn't shocked. It's just the first time since he started going to Hoynes' meetings that this knowledge has become a conflict of interest due to the upcoming election and debate about whether or not Hoynes is going to be on the ticket.

I can't remember the exact sequence of events but I suspect an "shock" exhibited by Leo is the realisation that the President needs to know that Hoynes is an alcoholic ASAP. If Hoynes is on the ticket and that comes out it could lose them the election (especially as it's compounded by the trouble caused by the revelation of Leo's addiction and the witch hunt that followed and the MS stuff). Had the MS come out at that point? I can't remember.

Speaking of crying and The West Wing. Between the first run of the show and my second rewatch my wife was diagnosed with MS. Needless to say I cried a lot more the second time round :(

Well, in general there's a lot of tear-jerky stuff that gets me every time. Mrs Landingham's sons :cry: Mrs Landingham :cry: Josh's Dad :cry: Leo :cry: :cry: :cry: I think Leo was the worst because you just know how hard it must of been for the actors to keep it together. There probably wan't much acting involved.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 2, 2011

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gravy Jones posted:

Speaking of crying and The West Wing. Between the first run of the show and my second rewatch my wife was diagnosed with MS. Needless to say I cried a lot more the second time round :(

Well, in general there's a lot of tear-jerky stuff that gets me every time. Mrs Landingham's sons :cry: Mrs Landingham :cry: Josh's Dad :cry: Leo :cry: :cry: :cry: I think Leo was the worst because you just know how hard it must of been for the actors to keep it together. There probably wan't much acting involved.

Sorry about your wife. That sucks, dude :(

And yes, the scene with Josh's dad in the airport is so amazing. "Do you want me to come with you?". Jed is amazing :allears:

Fake edit: After trying to find a clip of that on YouTube, I found this amazing stalkerrific video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu9zB3I9TLc

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Gravy Jones posted:

Well, in general there's a lot of tear-jerky stuff that gets me every time.

Not crying, but this is the scene that always gets me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2HzHSeV9v8

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

t3ch3 posted:

Not crying, but this is the scene that always gets me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2HzHSeV9v8

This is fantastic stuff - I wish they'd been more into the space thing though. They really weren't great on the NASA front, especially of course in S7 with the military space shuttle, el, oh, el.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

El Grillo posted:

military space shuttle, el, oh, el.

It's not exactly "el, oh, el" material since it exists in real life, even though it violates several treaties.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

t3ch3 posted:

It's not exactly "el, oh, el" material since it exists in real life, even though it violates several treaties.

Er, what? The USAF was originally going to get a couple shuttles and operate them from Vandenberg, but they canceled the whole thing. Do you mean that unmanned thing they started testing?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Well, the X-37 is the one we know exists.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

t3ch3 posted:

Well, the X-37 is the one we know exists.

And it's an 8.8 meter robotic vehicle, as opposed to a huge man-rated vehicle like a shuttle. Anyways, probably pointless discussion.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Watching the scene where Charlie wants to buy a DVD player with his tax return that's gonna cost like $400 is nuts. Technology! :hydrogen:

(I don't know what that smilie is supposed to be for but I like it)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Also reveals that Charlie has awful taste in movies. He has enough extra cash for one DVD and picks a Bond movie. Specifically, In Her Majesty's Secret Service.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

t3ch3 posted:

Also reveals that Charlie has awful taste in movies. He has enough extra cash for one DVD and picks a Bond movie. Specifically, In Her Majesty's Secret Service.

In fairness, On Her Majesty's Secret Service is remarkably underrated. Besides, it has a BOBSLED CHASE. You can't tell me that's not so ridiculous as to be awesome.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Of course it has a bobsled chase. It has almost every single Winter Olympics event in it. That was its marketing gimmick.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

t3ch3 posted:

Of course it has a bobsled chase. It has almost every single Winter Olympics event in it. That was its marketing gimmick.

I... I never noticed that.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

t3ch3 posted:

Personally, I always find the helicopter assault event to be the best part of the Winter Olympics. Excluding the curling, of course.

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post
"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

That conversation is the redeeming factor for that episode.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

king of no pants posted:

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

That conversation is the redeeming factor for that episode.

Except Bond orders vodka martinis (which is another problem altogether).

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In case you wanted to know what happens to the senior staff after the end of the series... they all die in the delta quadrant.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

t3ch3 posted:

In case you wanted to know what happens to the senior staff after the end of the series... they all die in the delta quadrant.

What the poo poo is this.

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

What the poo poo is this.

From the episode Imperfection (season 7, episode 2)

IMDB posted:

Seven of Nine shows a display of the various crew members who have died on the trip. There are 10 names, but the last seven are taken from characters on The West Wing: Commander J. Bartlett, Lt. Cdr. L. McGarry, Lt. Cdr. T. Ziegler, Lt. Cdr. Josh Lyman, Lt. S. Seaborne, Ens. Claudia J. Craig, Ens. Charles Young.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

They spelled "Bartlet" wrong :colbert:

Josiah Bartlett was an actual governor of NH/signer of the Declaration of Independence.

(and I don't know if the actual show has him as "Seaborne" (it doesn't look like it in the image but the IMDB thing says different) but that's wrong too. Fuckin' amateurs)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Also C.J. is only an Ensign? That's cold. If we're basing this on their position early in the series, Charlie should be a NCO.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Technically, Josh outranks CJ :v:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

meatbag posted:

Technically, Josh outranks CJ :v:

"So far up your rear end!"

What's with the sodomy jokes? It just sounds gross. There were a bunch of them on Sports Night too. Bruno actually has the best one though.

"Or so help me mother-of-God I will stick a pitch-fork so far up your asses you will quite simply be dead."

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

"So far up your rear end!"

What's with the sodomy jokes? It just sounds gross. There were a bunch of them on Sports Night too. Bruno actually has the best one though.

"Or so help me mother-of-God I will stick a pitch-fork so far up your asses you will quite simply be dead."

Bruno's speech pattern where he emphasizes. Every. Word. Annoys the heck out of me.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

The West Wing complete series is Amazon's gold box deal today. $99.49, list $299.98.
http://amazon.com/goldbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Oh goodness. That is extremely tempting

• Locked thread